2013 Compliments

#31 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

View Postfeuerwerke, on 21 May 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

I agree with this re; Kalafina. However, I appreciate allowing photos when the line and the guests themselves allow it. Yuu Asakawa's Friday line wasn't very long, and I love that I have a picture of myself with her while I'm cosplaying a character from a series she was in. That's altogether an awesome experience there, and no one missed out on an autograph in that line. So really it's a circumstantial sort of thing, and I hope it continues to be treated that way. (Also some specific guests don't allow pictures, too, regardless of line length. That's also worth keeping in mind).

I agree with that. At ACen it usually just doesn't happen though. I was in line for Brad Swaile on Friday and when we started they said there were about 80 people in line and that he'd get to everyone. That was at 5. My friends and I were in the middle, so around 40. We got our stuff signed by 6:15, and the hall closed at 6:30 and they were going to have to force everyone out. It should NOT have taken that long. I feel especially bad for the 30 some people who didn't get to see him because he was so slow and talked to everyone and took lots of pictures. Yeah, we're your fans, and love to meet you and chat and take pictures, but when there's a line you have to think of what's best for everyone, not just the picture you want and hold up the line. (In no way saying you personally do this, just in general) I'd personally love to see a change to quick signings, only taking the VAs picture (he wasted a lot of time walking around his table for every picture) or one of those "lean over the table" shots so you're in the picture with him. Signings are one of my favorite things to do at ACen, and I know I'd be pissed if I was one of the people who waited an hour and a half to walk out with nothing (always a risk at ACen, but in this particular case it could have been avoided.) I know everyone loves pictures (myself included), but sometimes there just isn't time for it.

And on that note, since this is the compliment thread, around 6 or so the woman who was with Brad started to tell people to go fast, no pictures, and she pretty much stood over Brad's back to get him to follow the new rules since he wanted to please everyone. Without her, my group probably wouldn't have even gotten our stuff signed! (Didn't catch her call sign, a somewhat short, brownish-red haired woman :3)
ACen 2017 Plans
Thursday: Maki Nishikino (Swimsuit, Circus) [Love Live! School Idol Project]
Friday: Rider [Fate/Stay Night], Maki Nishikino (Little Devil) Kisumi Shigino [Free!], Kae Serinuma (Gym) [Kiss Him Not Me!]
Saturday: Layla Hamilton [Kaleido Star] 100%, Zen (Spicy Jalapeno) [Mystic Messenger] Maki Nishikino (Sunny Day Song)
Sunday: Christophe Giacometti (Rapsodie Espagnole) [Yuri!!! on Ice] 100%

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takahashi Cosplay

#32 User is offline   thearrowpen 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63859

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

--Crowne Plaza parking: $45 for Thursday-Sunday = best parking rate I've ever had in Chicago. The hotel restaurant also popped my popcorn for me after I asked if there was a microwave in the hotel, so I'd say they should get an extra gold star for that.

--the Costudio: great idea! I think it needs some improvements, but overall I love the idea of a space dedicated to cosplay! I spent a lot of my weekend there and will be doing so in the future.

--Water, water, everywhere! Thank you, ACen!

--Japanese Folklore and Mythology panel: informative, organized, funny, lots of great images and anime clips. I only made it to the second half, so bring them back next year so I can go to all of it!

--IRT people: all those I talked to were friendly and helpful.

--the Masq: two Lokis and tons of awesome cosplays. You can't go wrong. Also, the camerawork was great.

#33 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

More a suggestion in regards to the autograph/picture issue. Maybe ACen can have two separate things with the VAs and bands. One is for just straight up signing, no pictures, the second is pictures only, no signing. You get your picture taken and then on your way. Could that work.

Two loki's in the masq, awesome, but I thought the rules were, you can't have that! That they have to be from Japan, Korea, Taiwan or China in nature and that anything American can't be involved in the masq. Unless that was a skit?

Compliment: Hyatt staff was really understanding and very sweet.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#34 User is offline   SimHuman 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63861

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

- General crowd control seemed to go amazingly well compared to the last two years. At some points during the con, I wondered whether attendance was down this year because I didn't get caught in as many line or crowd messes. (Maybe I was just lucky, but I spent a lot of time moving around!)

- The water availability was wonderful. I'd hurt my stupid back if I tried to lug enough water to last all day, so being able to refill during the day was a big relief!

This post has been edited by SimHuman: 21 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

#35 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:08 PM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 21 May 2013 - 06:40 AM, said:

For next year, is it possible to like, move the smoking area further away from that grassy patch there? Or have 1 IRT stationed there to make sure photoshoots there have no issues with the smokers and that the grassy area is kept clean of cigarette butts and other trash?

Hope so!! That was a little unexpected this year - the East Outside Wall has been an official gathering spot for a few years now but literally a week before con we found out the Hyatt had decided to make the entire front of the hotel no-smoking and designate that as the smoker's area. So part of that was just the Hyatt surprising us. Next year I'm hoping I will get official word on that a little sooner than a week before so we can plan ahead :)

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 21 May 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

More a suggestion in regards to the autograph/picture issue. Maybe ACen can have two separate things with the VAs and bands. One is for just straight up signing, no pictures, the second is pictures only, no signing. You get your picture taken and then on your way. Could that work.

It probably could work very well. A lot of other cons I go to (namely Chicago TARDIS, but also Wizard World and C2E2) do separate autograph and photo sessions. Granted, CT is absolutely tiny compared to Acen (I think attendance was just over 1,000 this year, maybe 1200) but it works pretty well - then you're not juggling the stuff you're getting signed while getting a photo, and also at CT we get lovely posed photos with a nice CT banner behind us (or, one year, Daleks surrounding us). C2E2 I noticed did that with some of the bigger names, like Burt Ward or Bruce Boxleitner. But I got an autograph from R.L. Stine, and what they did was have a designated photo person at the front of the line. When you're toward the front, you hand over your camera, then walk up, get your autograph, you and guest turn to the camera, snap, take your stuff & camera and move on. The line moved SUPER fast! They still had to cap it because it got crazy full crazy fast, but it still moved very well. Of course, the way the autograph area is arranged can affect how feasible a set up like that can work.
Event Accessibility Services staff for ACen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Anime Milwaukee 2017: Philip (Kamen Rider W), Karma (Assassination Classroom)
C2E2 2017: Philip (Kamen Rider W), Hiiro Kagami (Kamen Rider Brave), possibly Ghostbuster (if I have my panel), maybe Neptune (RWBY)
ACen 2017: Philip (Kamen Rider W), Hiiro Kagami (Kamen Rider Brave), Gou Shijima (Kamen Rider Mach), Karma (Assassination Classroom), Neptune (RWBY)
Definite 2017 cons (no cosplay plans set as of yet): Uchi-con, NWI Comic Con

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My cosplay / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#36 User is offline   Menchi 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 11059

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:30 PM

Seconding, thirding, and whatever number we are on the person who spearheaded IRT running the Hyatt elevators. What an awesome idea, and they themselves were awesome. Very pleasant and helpful.

#37 User is offline   Abarero 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 27211

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:33 AM

- Having the cut through the restaurant into the convention center opened up was great. As someone who is usually running from place to place in layered/bulky costumes, avoiding the long walk around the front or the tubes from the Hyatt were a godsend.

- Tech help for the panels was very on top of things this year. No waiting around for someone to show up and help. I would like to suggest that any panel that needs extra set up time due to whatever tech they are bringing in has a way to convey that during signup. We were before a Vocaloid panel that was setting up a lot of tech and would have gladly gotten out of there sooner to give them more setup time if we'd only known!

- To the wonderful lady bartenders at Embassy Suites. They had to put up with a lot of drunk bs, but they were still great and charming and would make up a mix if they had the supplies for it during the free happy hour slot.
~Abarero
ACen 2015 Cosplay:
Zelgadis (cruise ship outfit) (Slayers), Howl Jenkins (blonde variant) (Howl's Moving Castle), Morty (Pokemon HGSS)

#38 User is offline   thearrowpen 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63859

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:04 AM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 21 May 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

Two loki's in the masq, awesome, but I thought the rules were, you can't have that! That they have to be from Japan, Korea, Taiwan or China in nature and that anything American can't be involved in the masq. Unless that was a skit?

The two Lokis were the MCs. But! This year was also ACen's first year to have a non-Japanese category in their Masq, so there were actually a number of American/non-Japanese things (including Homestuck, a variety of video games, etc.). I actually didn't know that until I got there, but I think in the long run it's probably a good idea.

#39 User is offline   jenchan 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 30

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

The person in the "L" cosplay with the heart on his shirt that was running around managing the cosplay gatherings/photoshoots was awesome. This person did an awesome job!

The directing of traffic around the elevators was a GREAT idea, as were the staff members INSIDE the elevators to maintain order and the integrity of the elevators all weekend.

Don't know if this was an ACen or Rosemont thing, but moving that (Great Expotera?) restaurant into the other hall in the Convention center was an EXCELLENT idea.

Also, the Charity that was selling hot dogs, chips and soda in the Embassy Suites Parking lot for $5 . It was an awesome addition to the convention. It was nice to eat for under $10 a person.
Jenn
President of Japanese Anime People of Chicago, a local, independent Chicagoland anime club.
website- MyAnimeList - Tumblr
Probably the oldest member of the ST☆RISH fanclub.
Prince of Tennis ACen Cosplay Group Network on FACEBOOK

#40 User is offline   Sayuri-chan 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3228

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

Things that were good!:

- One word: SKITTLES. This IRT member deserves like fifty-million hugs and a huge raise. He was so sweet to me and my group on the 4th Floor. They would not let us go up to go down; in this case, the elevator would be full going down from the upper floors, would drop off it's passengers and start its way going UP, and we couldn't get on to go down. We couldn't fit on to go down because it was already full. This IRT member came up with a solution and we were able to get on and get our massive amounts of luggage down to the main floor.

ACen: FIX THIS! Lower floors can't go up to go down, but can't go down because all of the other floors fill up with people and luggage before they get to the lower floors! This also led to a bad experience with one of the other IRT members basically telling us to STFU and deal with it and that we couldn't go up to go down. He was most unhelpful. Didn't get his call sign, but he was not in IRT uniform and running one of the elevators on Sunday morning. We ended up still waiting almost an hour to get down to the main floor. [Why not the stairs? Because we had 6 large suitcases and a cooler to handle.]

- KALAFINA. The aftersigning line was fantastic and moved quickly and smoothly. Having no pictures and only official merch as part of the rules rocked. <3 The concert was also MIND-BLOWING.

- Panel Programming help. We had a couple of technical difficulties and the Panel Programming guys were right there to help us get things up and running again. I <3 these guys.

- Separate Entrances and Exits for the Dealers Hall. FANTASTIC IDEA!!! This made sure that lines moved smoothly and helped with the people congestion in those areas.

- Closing off the Expotera entrance. GREAT IDEA!! This helped with the photoshoots going on in that area and helped keep that area free of tons of people. I really liked this setup.

There was probably more, but nothing really bad happened besides the grrrr hour on Sunday morning with the elevators.
♥ ACen REG STAFF: 2005-2008 ♥
♥ Persona owns my soul. Proud to be a member of the UYFA! Proud Supporter of the I.R.T.!
"The Chumps" are back to entertain and amuse. Come join us Friday, in Panel Room 4 from 12:30-2:45pm, and Saturday/Sunday in Panel Room 12, from 12:45-3:15a.
Cosplay for 2016 ACen:|Koro Sensei--Assassination Classroom/0% complete|||Genkai-Yuu Yuu Hakusho/100% complete|||East Kai-Dragonball Z/0% complete
Current quote: "Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still..."
Current blurb: はい、少し日本語を話します。たのしすぎる! ♪♫♪♫音楽が大好き!♪♫♪♫

#41 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

View Postthearrowpen, on 23 May 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

The two Lokis were the MCs. But! This year was also ACen's first year to have a non-Japanese category in their Masq, so there were actually a number of American/non-Japanese things (including Homestuck, a variety of video games, etc.). I actually didn't know that until I got there, but I think in the long run it's probably a good idea.

Gives me reason to reconsider building a marvel peice. Going to have to watch the masq from now on if they have that happening. :thumbup:
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#42 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

View PostIris, on 20 May 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

* The water scattered around was amazing!

I agree. Sure, I was tired and my eyes kept itching, but all the cold water *and* ice helped me get through Saturday evening. Thank you to all the people who made it available.

#43 User is offline   llyrical 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63781

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

-The IRT were great. I'm glad that none of them really seemed to hate their job while doing it.

-So many great panels. Not enough time to do all of them, though!

-I made a bunch of really great friends, which is always the best thing ever.

-IRT in charge of the elevators. Made it a lot less hectic than normal.

-Water stations!

-Overall, there were some things they could do better (see: my post in Suggestions for 2014), but this year was great. I had tons of fun, and it seemed like everyone else did, too.

#44 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

I absolutely loved where smoking was located this year! Please keep it there/ do not ask the Hyatt to move it. The only little hiccup is the fact that my gathering was located there because they didn't know that was going to be a smoking area. This is the first year I didn't have an asthma attack because I decided I wanted to leave the Hyatt! Loosing a photo shoot area is acceptable for peace of mind!!!
AKB48 and Sumire Sato Lover. 2017 will be my 8th ACen.

#45 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

Oh! I was going through my video footage and I suddenly remembered about the orange cones on the street by the Grand Ballroom entrance. Thank you to whoever put the cones there. I was able to get back to my room faster after my last shift of the day.

This post has been edited by MsLovelyCookie: 24 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#46 User is offline   Chunlichan 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 11421

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

I'm reaaaally late to the party on this thread, but I feel the need to say that after years and years of horrid IRT experiences (I've gone to ACen all 16 years-since 1998 at the Ramada) I can say that this year was one of the best years for IRT ever. It's almost as if all of the jerks and power-trippers were gone, replaces with friendly, helpful people!
I don't know if you folks changed your screening process or what, but kudos to IRT!
ACen 2015 Cosplay/lolita list
Sat- Hyrule Warrior Shiek

#47 User is offline   isbichan 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63620

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

View PostChunlichan, on 24 May 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

I'm reaaaally late to the party on this thread, but I feel the need to say that after years and years of horrid IRT experiences (I've gone to ACen all 16 years-since 1998 at the Ramada) I can say that this year was one of the best years for IRT ever. It's almost as if all of the jerks and power-trippers were gone, replaces with friendly, helpful people!
I don't know if you folks changed your screening process or what, but kudos to IRT!

Ramada was '99. '98 was Holiday Inn.

#48 User is offline   iospace 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63586

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

No problems from staffers! Thanks for helping out ^_^

Also, shoutout to the people at the Embassy during the wedding. I only saw the tail end of it, but people were being respectful while watching as well from the balconies.

#49 User is offline   xFatHalpert 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 63540

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

ACen was wonderful as always, but I'd like to make a HUGE shoutout to The Doubletree for helping me and my friend. The people over at the Hyatt booking hotline managed to put us in the Hyatt that was 2 miles down the road after we specifically booked the Regenecy. After they told us there was nothing we could do, we went over to the doubletree (Where we usually stay, and will be staying every year) and they hooked us up with 3 nights! Excellent service on their part.

#50 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:04 PM

I really think all staff were very nice this year. Everyone was very pleasant, and even if bad things were happening, you could not tell. IRT were very nice, and helped me navigate too when the Hyatt panel hall was filled to find which room I was going to. Whatever they did this year they should do again. :)
ACen 2017 Cosplay
Friday: General Esdeath (Akame Ga Kill!) (98% d/t touch ups and re-doing sword)
Saturday: Major Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell ARISE variant] (100%)
Sunday: Either Major Motoko Kusanagi from GITS S.A.C. 2nd GIG or Esdeath again. Help me decide D;
RIP Origa <3

COME SEE MY PANELS!!!

"Let's Form a Stand Alone Complex!" Saturday, 12:30 PM – 2:15 PM Panel Room 13 DESCC
"My Ghost Whispers, Therefore I am" Saturday, 3:45 PM – 5:30 PM Panel Room 13

#51 User is offline   Menchi 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 11059

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:34 AM

View Postthearrowpen, on 23 May 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

Hopefully this does NOT stick. With that what's to separate ACen from say C2E2 or a regular comic convention? ACen should not lose touch with its roots as a convention exploring Japanese popular culture and history. I might not like it but I can see at least K-Pop having some sort of presence because it is making waves in Japan as well, but if you want actual content regarding The Avengers or My Little Pony go to Comic Con. Naturally it's not to say that people can't cosplay whoever or whatever they want and have photoshoots and gatherings, but I think that official panels and programming should be more focused on Japan.

I recently attended another major US con with attendance numbers very close to that of ACen, and they did a phenomenal job with this. Not only was their theme an educational one focused on Japanese mythology, but their decor was set up accordingly, with informative and fun panels on a variety of subjects, karaoke that that had to be of East-Asian or anime origin, and a complete absence of a rave or any other event that is crafted just to increase numbers (and has contributed to ACen's infamy in the past). Their closest thing was formal and informal dances which, pleasantly, had age restrictions. Would be neat to see the focus back on Japan with attendees, events, and the con in general.

#52 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 11260

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:26 AM

View PostMenchi, on 29 May 2013 - 12:34 AM, said:

Hopefully this does NOT stick. With that what's to separate ACen from say C2E2 or a regular comic convention? ACen should not lose touch with its roots as a convention exploring Japanese popular culture and history. I might not like it but I can see at least K-Pop having some sort of presence because it is making waves in Japan as well, but if you want actual content regarding The Avengers or My Little Pony go to Comic Con.

I'm one of the folks that thinks otherwise and I was delighted to hear that ACen decided to recognize its non-Japanese cosplay in the masquerade this year. There's a lot of overlap with fandoms--I would say anime fans are more likely to also be comic fans than comic fans are to be anime fans, given my experience with both crowds.

I do think that the American/etc-based cosplay should be kept on a limited scope so that the masquerade (and panels) doesn't get overwhelmed, but I'm sure this is something the ACen department heads have already been focusing on.
Visit Happy Hatpire Designs on Etsy: http://hatpire.etsy.com
Tumblr: http://hatpire.tumblr.com
Happy Hatpire Designs will be at Anime Central and Anime Midwest in 2015!

#53 User is offline   Twilight Sparkle 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 62967

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

The Avengers and any Marvel reboot are quite popular over there. And My Little Pony just started airing there and so far has gotten enough attention to go through with dubbing a second season. So technically, they are both a part of Japan's 'pop'ular culture. :')
Planned 2016 Cosplays!
Love Live! - Cyber SR Nozomi Toujou, School Uniform Hanayo Koizumi
Love Live!! Sunshine - School Uniform Hananmaru Kunikida
Maybe a 2hu?? Idek anymore man

#54 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:31 PM

I'm even seeing more and more cosplayers from series such as Assassin's Creed...and let's not forget how unbelievably popular -anything- Disney is over in Japan...

#55 User is offline   Chunlichan 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 11421

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

View Postisbichan, on 24 May 2013 - 06:50 PM, said:

Ramada was '99. '98 was Holiday Inn.

haha I never noticed your response until now. My memory grows foggy, apparently.

'm one of the folks that thinks otherwise and I was delighted to hear that ACen decided to recognize its non-Japanese cosplay in the masquerade this year. There's a lot of overlap with fandoms--I would say anime fans are more likely to also be comic fans than comic fans are to be anime fans, given my experience with both crowds.

I do think that the American/etc-based cosplay should be kept on a limited scope so that the masquerade (and panels) doesn't get overwhelmed, but I'm sure this is something the ACen department heads have already been focusing on.

I agree with this. While I don't want to see ACen overrun with ONLY Western cosplays, you can't really say no one can cosplay from what they want.
Even some Western characters have exclusive Japanese costumes (i.e, Marvel Bishoujou statues)
ACen 2015 Cosplay/lolita list
Sat- Hyrule Warrior Shiek

#56 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

Personally I would have liked to see some seperation between japanese/anime related- and other fandoms in the masquarade. I was somewhat annoyed with the non related cosplays/skits taking away from those that were.
AKB48 and Sumire Sato Lover. 2017 will be my 8th ACen.

#57 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

Hopefully this does NOT stick. With that what's to separate ACen from say C2E2 or a regular comic convention? ACen should not lose touch with its roots as a convention exploring Japanese popular culture and history. I might not like it but I can see at least K-Pop having some sort of presence because it is making waves in Japan as well, but if you want actual content regarding The Avengers or My Little Pony go to Comic Con. Naturally it's not to say that people can't cosplay whoever or whatever they want and have photoshoots and gatherings, but I think that official panels and programming should be more focused on Japan.

I recently attended another major US con with attendance numbers very close to that of ACen, and they did a phenomenal job with this. Not only was their theme an educational one focused on Japanese mythology, but their decor was set up accordingly, with informative and fun panels on a variety of subjects, karaoke that that had to be of East-Asian or anime origin, and a complete absence of a rave or any other event that is crafted just to increase numbers (and has contributed to ACen's infamy in the past). Their closest thing was formal and informal dances which, pleasantly, had age restrictions. Would be neat to see the focus back on Japan with attendees, events, and the con in general.

Here's the problem with this mindset. Depending on how extreme the scenario gets, ACen could have one - I repeat, ONE - panel/feature/masquerade entry/etc. that is not based on Japanese culture, and folks with this mindset would still be upset and say "It's not focused enough on Japanese culture!" This is not a pleasant way to think - it's elitist, exclusive, and quite frankly, is what makes me think "otaku."

Don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying. But I think there's a line that stands out between the convention you speak of (which, by the way, you didn't mention their name) and Anime Central. Each convention has its own quirks, nuances and details...and some are better than others, depending on who's attending and what they're there for.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#58 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:52 PM

View PostValkyrie, on 30 May 2013 - 02:25 PM, said:

Here's the problem with this mindset. Depending on how extreme the scenario gets, ACen could have one - I repeat, ONE - panel/feature/masquerade entry/etc. that is not based on Japanese culture, and folks with this mindset would still be upset and say "It's not focused enough on Japanese culture!" This is not a pleasant way to think - it's elitist, exclusive, and quite frankly, is what makes me think "otaku."

Don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying. But I think there's a line that stands out between the convention you speak of (which, by the way, you didn't mention their name) and Anime Central. Each convention has its own quirks, nuances and details...and some are better than others, depending on who's attending and what they're there for.

I agree with Valkyrie on this. Try being an exclusive "true anime fans only" con and watch your con die. I've seen it almost happen to another con that refused to have anything to do with anime fans and tried to cut out gaming in favor of "hardcore sci-fi only" and it saw its attendees plummet from 1000-average to less than 200...if that. Cons are a lot like Benjamin Franklin's old adage: adapt or die.

In any case, that's an argument for Chit-Chat. I just wanted to say that this was quite possibly the best run Anime Central I've ever been to. Registration was unbelievably smooth. I had a panelist badge and was in and out in five minutes, but a friend was prereged and was done in less than ten. I didn't see any Linecon 3-hour waits, so I assumed they didn't exist! Whoever streamlined registration deserves a medal.

With very minor exceptions (which I've posted on over in gripes, and they are minor), this ACen was superb, awesome, great, and about a hundred other complimentary terms I could use. I was prepared to make this my last Anime Central, but ACen 2013 restored my faith in this con. I'll definitely be back.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
:highfive:
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users