Anime Central Forums: Fundamental Legal Concepts in Gaming - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Fundamental Legal Concepts in Gaming *Currently Pending*

#1 User is offline   Enigmarocket 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62829

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

The mere fact that you are reading this topic likely signifies that you have a pulse and are, presumably, human. By virtue of your humanity, you have innate rights and obligations conferred upon you by your human status. While oversimplified, this is an example of natural law. In contrast, you also have rights and obligations conferred upon you by the passage and interpretation of laws by government actors and agencies. These acts represent positive law.

As video games are products of human creation, do we see these two concepts in gaming? If present, how do video games integrate these concepts in their story and mechanics? Are games necessarily limited by innate concepts present in our physical world? If absent, is this media type capable of producing fantastical worlds devoid of natural and our positive law with a cogent story?

Although my panel status is still pending, I wanted to post the fundamentals of my topic. While I am vying for one of the limited video game panel slots, I think this would be a fun panel--with lots of screenshots from various popular game franchises to illustrate concepts--as it's probably something that's not yet been presented.

My qualifications in proposing this panel: Aside from being a gamer and anime fan, I'm a licensed attorney in two jurisdictions. While in law school, I focused on criminal law and international law. The latter focus, in particular, centered on international criminal law, the law of armed conflict, and nuclear weaponry. Both concentrations, and the very nature of law school, had coursework based in philosophy. As an undergrad, I studied criminal justice and political science. Like law school, both of these heavily centered upon a philosophical foundation directly applicable to this panel.

This post has been edited by Enigmarocket: 12 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

#2 User is offline   Enigmarocket 

• Pip

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

Alright, here's the condensed and non-stuffy version. :) I'm Jason and I'm a lawyer who likes video games and anime. I sometimes have ideas and commentary about how video games illustrate, or ignore, our laws. Although my panel's still pending, I'm hoping to have a conversation about how the thing I like (law) and the thing I love (gaming) interact with each other. In my panel, I look at franchises like Final Fantasy and Call of Duty--with a few others--(and lots of pictures) to demonstrate my points.

#3 User is offline   pyrrhicvictini 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 62808

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Fingers crossed!!
Cosplays
  • White Mage
  • Chell
  • Leafeon Gijinka

Panelist for The Cultures Behind Avatar: The Last Airbender & Fundamental Legal Concepts in Gaming
If you'd enjoy some educational panels, be sure to check us out!

#4 User is offline   Emre-chan 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 19809

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

Sounds really cool! If this gets approved I'll be bringing a handful of people
Cosplay Page
"How's your progress??"
ACen 2016: , , , ,

#5 User is offline   Enigmarocket 

• Pip

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

Thanks! :) The panel's still listed as "pending," so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I definitely appreciate the vote of confidence and hope to see you there in a few months!

#6 User is offline   General_Iowa 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 62852

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

As someone who tends to have a interest in the law and how it works, I am looking forward to this if it does occur.
Come to rebuildofevangelion.org and join our new and exciting community.

Follow me on Twitter at @NewEvaOrder for all your Eva needs

Come to the Rebuild of Evangelion panels across the country!

#7 User is offline   Enigmarocket 

• Pip

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

This panel was approved. :) I'm excited to see you there!

#8 User is offline   BadAnimeGroup 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 63078

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

Accepted, nice! I'm hoping to be there.

This post has been edited by BadAnimeGroup: 29 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and My Anime List (if you're so inclined).

#9 User is offline   pyrrhicvictini 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

The panel is currently scheduled for 9am on Sunday. Hopefully those interested will find it in them to grab a cup of coffee & be there. c:

I'm really excited about this panel, especially because the media loves blaming video games for the ills of society. Though we won't talk about the lack of correlation between video games & crimes, it will definitely explore how video games interact with the concept of natural law.
Cosplays
  • White Mage
  • Chell
  • Leafeon Gijinka

Panelist for The Cultures Behind Avatar: The Last Airbender & Fundamental Legal Concepts in Gaming

#10 User is offline   pyrrhicvictini 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Oh, as an update, this panel is confirmed to be in the Tegal room.
Cosplays
  • White Mage
  • Chell
  • Leafeon Gijinka

#11 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hey I'll be there, also Jason, would it be okay to get some sort of transcript of this! I'd love to use this panel info as part of a lecture for my game class that I teach at Morton College. This sort of information is really important to the over all development of games and how our own laws and governence seems to influence the makers and the way they craft their visual stories.

At least I think it's important.
:balloons:
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#12 User is offline   Enigmarocket 

• Pip

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:09 PM

Aww, I'd be honored to help out! I can definitely get something together for you. Come find me after the panel and we can swap cards/contact info. This particular panel focuses less on black letter law impacting/affecting game development and more on how developers use sociolegal philosophy and legal concepts [law of armed conflict/American jurisprudence/etc.] when creating visual literature. Hopefully you'll still be able to make use of my ramblings. :)

#13 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

View PostEnigmarocket, on 22 April 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

Aww, I'd be honored to help out! I can definitely get something together for you. Come find me after the panel and we can swap cards/contact info. This particular panel focuses less on black letter law impacting/affecting game development and more on how developers use sociolegal philosophy and legal concepts [law of armed conflict/American jurisprudence/etc.] when creating visual literature. Hopefully you'll still be able to make use of my ramblings. :)/>

Absolutely! I'd be happy to swap info! This would be great stuff still for my students, especially when they're crafting their concepts. Can't wait to see this. :)
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#14 User is offline   Enigmarocket 

• Pip

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

I wanted to write a quick note and say a huge thank you to everyone who came out this morning. I definitely appreciated the turnout in spite of the early hour. I hope everyone enjoyed the panel and discussion as much as I did. :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users