• You cannot reply to this topic

Painting lycra/spandex

#1 User is offline   kuro_ketsurui 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 4769

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

I've googled info on this, and I've seen lots of contradicting answers. So, I'll ask you all, because if it comes out badly, I know where you con <_< Can you paint lycra so it doesn't stiffen or crack? What kind of paint should you use? Is there some sort of special mix you need to do so it doesn't come out looking terrible? I tried doing it once, and it was... bad. Very, very bad. It looked, and felt, like a random piece of cardboard.
"If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?" -Scott Adams

Facebook

#2 User is offline   S1NN3R 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 11618

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:45 AM

I've painted body suits on various occasions. Coloring and materials all depend on what effects you're going for. For a multiple use suit, use either dye or a latex mix (PM me for details). Which ever one you choose, it should be applied with an airbrush. This will help keep mobility/elasticity within the fabric. Unless it's for a very limited use, like a photo shoot, paint should not be brushed or coned on. It's what causes stiffness and cracking.

Also, nothing's 100% permanent. After time, color will fade and flex out. Be sure to record mix amounts and combinations for touch ups

This post has been edited by S1NN3R: 03 December 2012 - 12:50 AM

"You'll never have any answers untill you ask the questions"
When people start asking, I'll answer.

Contact Me

Acens attended. 1998-2002, 04-06,08-Present

#3 User is offline   kuro_ketsurui 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 4769

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

Aha! That must be where I messed up. I painted it on.
"If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?" -Scott Adams

Facebook

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users