• This topic is locked

Farewell Hostess Maker if iconic brands such as Twinkie, Ho Hos, Wonder Bread

#1 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

Well, it has come to this. Maker of the iconic Twinkies, Cupcakes, Ho Hos, Ding Dongs, and Wonder Bread is closing up shop. They could not come to terms with their workers striking so it is all over for Hostess.

They plan on selling the rights to the brands and I sincerely hope someone decent gets their hands on them (I'd be completely satisfied if Little Debbie picked them up).

Alas, for now, farewell to Hostess. Haven't had a cupcake in awhile. I think I will today. And set aside a box of twinkies.

I remember enjoying various Hostess items in my days. Anyone else lament their passing?

EDIT: Grammatical repairs

This post has been edited by rondo: 16 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

#2 User is offline   MOMO2 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 49830

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

Those all were my childhood treats. I still feast on the on occasion. I do hope someone good buys them out.
The only thing to fear is yourself.

#3 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

I hope the rights get bought as well. They're household names, after all. I'm dieting now, and haven't had a Twinkie or Cupvake in ages....but I do love me some Wonder Bread.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#4 User is online   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

I miss the 90's taste of the Hostess when they were made with real sugar instead of the fake sugar or is that my taste buts have changed over they years? Who knows. I enjoyed them when I could. Sad people are losing their jobs.
I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#5 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

Thanks for ruining something else unions. :\
All systems... GO!

#6 User is offline   kahad 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 532

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

View PostTheStrongJaeger, on 16 November 2012 - 11:54 AM, said:

+1
K-chan (nickname given by ngsilver)
Are YOU on my grilling list??? (Updated 9-26-2008)
Master Chef of the Great Otaku Army and Spam Squad member!!!
AMV Staff ACen 2005-2007, Panel Programming Staff ACen 2008-2015 :)
Maho! - not just a saying, a way of life.

#7 User is offline   Agatha 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61511

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

View PostMsLovelyCookie, on 16 November 2012 - 11:28 AM, said:

I miss the 90's taste of the Hostess when they were made with real sugar instead of the fake sugar or is that my taste buts have changed over they years? Who knows. I enjoyed them when I could. Sad people are losing their jobs.

I think they must have changed the recipe, because I also remember them tasting different - they weren't quite so cardboardy back in the day.

Or maybe I'm just old. :lol:

In any case, it's sad to see something so iconic go.

#8 User is offline   magishine 

• Tenkuu Yuusha
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 21997

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

I'm sure someone will buy up the rights to all the Hostess cakes and such. Twinkies won't be gone for long
uchu kitaaaaaa!!!!

Cosplays for ACen 2017 and progress made

Greg Universe (5% complete)

#9 User is offline   IshokuOsero 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62670

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

I used to eat their sweets all the time, but as I got older I couldn't have them anymore. They make me super sick now. I never thought that it could be due to a recipe change, but now that other users have said something, it may be that. o.o

Either way, about the strike - there have been a lot of issues with Hostess in the past couple of years. From what I've heard they've been messing around with the workers and taking more and more from them (probably because it was looking like they were going to go under at some point pretty soon, so they were taking from who they could take from without losing the top execs' money, I'm guessing), so the workers' strike was just the final nail in the company's coffin.
Learn more about anime figures and read reviews at my site! (three years and going!)
http://www.ishokuosero.com
Or add me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook....colouredothello

#10 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

It may be the recipe change, or it could just be your body saying it doesn't like them anymore, period. :(

As much as it sucks, and as much as people will blame the unions for the loss of our beloved Twinkies and Cupcakes and Ho-Hos...at the same time, keep calm and stay cool. There's always more to the story than just "those stupid unions." Yes, they're the ones who said they didn't want to make any other concessions. But honestly? When haven't we seen examples of this before, such as with the NFL and NHL lockouts? It's not always so simple.
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#11 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 11087

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

Ran out of Twinkies at every store I went to today.
But able to snag a apple Fruit Pie. Those are better anyway.
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

#12 User is offline   Agatha 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

OMG, no! I totally forgot that Hostess makes fruit pies!

Alas that these evil days should be mine. T_T

#13 User is offline   -JUNK- 

• Forum Hell Raven
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19299

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

Enjoy the little things.

and this

This post has been edited by -JUNK-: 16 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

ACen 17"
Sombra, From Overwatch
Hanekawa, From Kizumonogatari

*~Proud Supporter of the GBLT Community.~*

#14 User is offline   Kyuu 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 348

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

View PostTheStrongJaeger, on 16 November 2012 - 11:54 AM, said:

http://recessappoint...r-your-failures

If I were to blame this union on something, it's for setting themselves up as the scapegoat. This worker strike was just a nail in the coffin, after several years of bankruptcy history.

Businesses do not fail because of Unions. They fail because of bad business models. The power of a union regarding a company's direction may have some effect. However, it is the executive decision making, that has a much greater impact. These executives were leaders of the company and lead it downward. The company failed to keep up with the times, and it ultimately fails.

Welcome to the Free Market.

This post has been edited by Kyuu: 16 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. -- Ferris Bueller

Anime Currently Watching

#15 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

Union problems or not, how in the name of Dog do you, a snack cake maker, in one of the fattest, most unhealthy nations on the third planet from the sun, GO OUT OF BUSINESS?

This would be like boat makers going out of business during events similar to Water World. Unless of course... no it can't be... are we, the United States, actually...

Spoiler

Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#16 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

dammit, obama.

#17 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

View PostKirbyFanOne, on 16 November 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

Union problems or not, how in the name of Dog do you, a snack cake maker, in one of the fattest, most unhealthy nations on the third planet from the sun, GO OUT OF BUSINESS?

This would be like boat makers going out of business during events similar to Water World. Unless of course... no it can't be... are we, the United States, actually...

Spoiler

True story...it's one reason why I actually passed up the last couple boxes of Cupcakes at the store earlier.

The other reason is that I only had a handful of bucks left (just lost my job - no, it wasn't for Hostess), and it was either spend it on fruit, or on Cupcakes. As much as I like Cupcakes, I prefer my oranges and bananas when on a carefully rationed diet. ^^;;

#18 User is offline   Gwydion 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 9082

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

This makes me kind of sad in a nostalgic sort of way... Now I feel like having a Twinkie - something I haven't had in probably a decade.

#19 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

Kinda sad, but I don't think the shevles will be empty from hostess going out of business. Hell, someone call disney! Got some great snacks for their fans to watch their new star wars movies. +1 to marketing. lol
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#20 User is offline   jsieczkar 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 17116

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

Hostess Brands, Inc. problems go back to how the company grew for years which was by buying smaller bakeries but never really integrating them. For decades these bakeries operated as little fiefdoms largely looking out for their own interests and were told that this was an issue as far back as the 80's. Interstate Bakeries (former name of Hostess Brands) bought Continental Baking in 1991 the makers of the Hostess products, despite having completely dissimilar business cultures and took years to kinda integrate the systems. The company lost massive market share in the 90's to aggressive snack food competitors namely Frito-Lay who capitalized on the increased interest in "healthier" foods, Interstate Bakeries did nothing. When they declared bankruptcy for the first time they spent virtually all the company capital to fight off a take over by Grupo Bimbo, when they exited bankruptcy in 2009 they were massively in debt to GE Captial and had barely touched the real issues facing the company. In just over 2 years they were back in bankruptcy with a distribution system that was out of date in the 80's, bakeries that were in most cases 40 years old, a debt load they couldn't pay off and an ownership group that knew nothing about the industry. Hostess Brands, Inc. is a classic case of a company that rested on what it had done, failed to take action on known issues and basically lived in a fantasy land regarding its market. The Union strike after the company went into bankruptcy was just another straw in the pile.
2008-2009 IRT - Callsign JR
2010 IRT Dispatch - Callsign JR
2011-Present Industry Relations Manager

#21 User is offline   Cherry_Wolf 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2860

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:54 AM

I haven't had Hostess products in yeeeears. I'm more sad of them leaving because of nostalgia.

But like everyone else has stated - does really mean the end of Hostess? Someone else will either pick up the slack or buy the name. If anything else, Little Debbie's snack cakes will become more prosperous now. (they are usually cheaper anyways)

And as much as I find it sad that they are leaving, is it really a bad thing? I mean - for job wise - yes. But if it's a worker's strike, then it was by choice. But as a snack factory in a country made up of people dealing with an overweight epidemic... maybe this isn't entirely a bad thing?

Either way, Hostess will be missed.
Possible Future Cons- Otakon, Anime Expo, Otakon Vegas, YaoiCon

#22 User is offline   NinjaJedi007 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 59569

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

I also hope that someone will buy the name. It's crazy to think that, in the future, kids in the lunchroom might not know what a Twinkie is :wacko:

Little Debbie is superior anyway! I will never betray my delicious Nutty Bars and Oatmeal Cream Pies!!
Dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

#23 User is offline   Aiddon Valentin 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 5880

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

we all realize that SOMEBODY is gonna buy the recipes for the company's products, right?
Kuchiki Byakuya: Ohayocon '06
Kuchiki Byakuya: ACen '06
Rose: Ohayocon '07
Part of Shinigami Squad '06

#24 User is offline   Unlucky Slayer 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 30009

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

View PostCherry_Wolf, on 17 November 2012 - 02:54 AM, said:

I haven't had Hostess products in yeeeears. I'm more sad of them leaving because of nostalgia.

But like everyone else has stated - does really mean the end of Hostess? Someone else will either pick up the slack or buy the name. If anything else, Little Debbie's snack cakes will become more prosperous now. (they are usually cheaper anyways)

And as much as I find it sad that they are leaving, is it really a bad thing? I mean - for job wise - yes. But if it's a worker's strike, then it was by choice. But as a snack factory in a country made up of people dealing with an overweight epidemic... maybe this isn't entirely a bad thing?

Either way, Hostess will be missed.

From what the company wanted to take away from the union, it was easily worth a strike. If the companies would manage themselves better it wouldnt come to actions like this.
In the darkness there is a singular being.

A Spectre of Reality...

#25 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

What did they want to take away though? I haven't followed it that closey to see.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#26 User is offline   Tiamat97 

• Mr. Insanity
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17897

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

there are people selling hostess treats on ebay for outrageous amounts of money and people are so desperate that they are bidding on these items. a box of twinkies is currently going for about $75
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1107...mp;id=586119408
My internship

Belongs in Damn Thread, if found please return to Kii
Spam Squad Member spam kill count:29 , Troll Hunter troll kill count: 1

#27 User is offline   Agatha 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

A Twinkie lunchbox sold for $600-something yesterday, too - after having been up for a week with no bids at $14.

#28 User is offline   Unlucky Slayer 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 30009

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

View PostDark Stranger, on 17 November 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

What did they want to take away though? I haven't followed it that closey to see.

http://features.blog...on-deal/?iid=EL

http://money.cnn.com....html?hpt=hp_t2

While not as bad as the "offer" (read: mugging) that Mittal had proposed to its unions back in August, it is still easily enough to strike over considering what Management didnt do to prevent bankruptcy.

This post has been edited by Unlucky Slayer: 17 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

In the darkness there is a singular being.

A Spectre of Reality...

#29 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

View PostKyuu, on 16 November 2012 - 02:09 PM, said:

http://recessappoint...r-your-failures

If I were to blame this union on something, it's for setting themselves up as the scapegoat. This worker strike was just a nail in the coffin, after several years of bankruptcy history.

Businesses do not fail because of Unions. They fail because of bad business models. The power of a union regarding a company's direction may have some effect. However, it is the executive decision making, that has a much greater impact. These executives were leaders of the company and lead it downward. The company failed to keep up with the times, and it ultimately fails.

Welcome to the Free Market.

This this this
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#30 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

Going on a zingers hunt tonight!! :eek:
"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users