• This topic is locked

Seeking an Artist

#1 User is offline   Piccolo Sky 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 62791

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

I'm trying to find an artist who plans to attend this year's ACen (either already planning to be in Artist Alley or not) who is capable of doing "fantasy-type" material who is interested in a joint project.

I've written a fantasy novel that I was planning on selling in Artist Alley this year, but I would like someone to illustrate it. If you are interested in this, please reply to this thread and I will send some excerpts from the novel for your review. If interested in the story, I will request a "test illustration" of any segment from the excerpts that you prefer (pencil will be fine), and if it looks good, then I will forward the entire novel and we can work together on working up something to sell at this year's ACen and split the profits.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I will be more than happy to write up a formalized written statement declaring that you retain sole property ownership of your artwork and agreeing to give you a percentage of the profits that we can both sign. However, any more than that and I will have to decline. I myself am a "starving author" and I wrote this novel in my spare time. I am already incurring numerous expenses just to put this book on Artist Alley in terms of print costs, fees, table reservation, transportation, etc. The cheapest lawyer I have encountered charges $90/hour, which is more than I have in my checking account at any given time. Hence, I have no desire to go into extensive legal issues or enter into binding contracts that could lead to massive headaches in the future. I have no money to pay an artist hourly or beyond what is generated as profit. In putting out this solitication, I am only looking for people who are interested and "hooked" enough in the material I send them to want to do this at least in part out of a genuine interest in the project, not people who are doing this solely to collect pay from me. In the past, people who I have hired to do this kind of work for payment have left me disappointed in their work and feeling as if I essentially wasted my money. That's why I would like a showing on behalf of the artist that they have some desire to actually make good illustrations for this work.

This post has been edited by Piccolo Sky: 14 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

#2 User is offline   SeikoMiwarui 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 17644

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

Is there any particular style of illustration you're going for? Such as more realistic, more anime, abstract, etc?

#3 User is offline   Piccolo Sky 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

View PostSeikoMiwarui, on 09 November 2012 - 10:28 PM, said:

Is there any particular style of illustration you're going for? Such as more realistic, more anime, abstract, etc?

More Anime/manga is what I prefer, although that's not necessarily absolute. I've been purchasing commissions for this book for a couple years now from various artists at the convention, but since they haven't read the whole "excerpt", and I can only give a brief description of what I want, there's always "something missing".

#4 User is offline   SeikoMiwarui 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 17644

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

If you would be kind enough to send me some excerpts, I think I would like to try (although if anybody else wants to, go ahead!)

Although, one more question. About how many illustrations are you looking at having done?

You can email me at poehlsk@mtmary.edu (it's easiest to send and receive emails that way).
For examples of my work, you can see my deviantART: http://seikomiwarui.deviantart.com/ (although I must admit, I haven't updated my dA in awhile).
You can also see some examples in these facebook albums: Mobile upload album
356 Year 2

#5 User is offline   Piccolo Sky 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:10 AM

View PostSeikoMiwarui, on 11 November 2012 - 10:18 AM, said:

If you would be kind enough to send me some excerpts, I think I would like to try (although if anybody else wants to, go ahead!)

Although, one more question. About how many illustrations are you looking at having done?

You can email me at poehlsk@mtmary.edu (it's easiest to send and receive emails that way).
For examples of my work, you can see my deviantART: http://seikomiwarui.deviantart.com/ (although I must admit, I haven't updated my dA in awhile).
You can also see some examples in these facebook albums: Mobile upload album
356 Year 2

I haven't decided on a final number of illustrations yet. That'll depend on what is the best way to sell it, which, in turn, will depend on what happens. For now, I am sending out three excerpts and I only ask for an illustration for whatever one is your favorite. I'll be sending it to you now.

#6 User is offline   Piccolo Sky 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:23 AM

Also, other people can feel free to give it a shot too. I'd like to evaluate any interested artist. Besides, there's a chance whoever asks to see my story won't like it and doesn't want to do it anyway.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users