• This topic is locked

New Star Wars movie coming in 2015 Disney buys Lucasfilm

#1 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

According to E! George Lucas has sold Lucasfilm for $4 billion dollars and Disney plans on making Stars Wars Episode VII. George Lucas had previous said he was not making it, so I'm curious to know if its his original vision or something Disney is coming up with by themselves. George is quoted saying "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime."

Star Wars without George Lucas??? The return of Jar Jar Binks? Thoughts?

Read about it here.
"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#2 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

Posted Image
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#3 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

well, george lucas has irredeemably murdered that cash cow on his own, so i don't think this is gonna be a big deal to most people.

with someone else in charge, it might actually turn out to be an okay movie, but the legacy has already died, been drug around the cemetery,
and its corpse sodomized, so there probably won't be the fan backlash there would have been pre-episode I.

#4 User is offline   Animexcel 

• Production Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 80

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

It doesn't matter to me. I still haven't watched Episode II and III. They won't get my money.
ACen Mascot Artist

#5 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

View PostAnimexcel, on 30 October 2012 - 05:05 PM, said:

It doesn't matter to me. I still haven't watched Episode II and III. They won't get my money.

this, pretty much.

dude, i barely made it through episode one.
now that new hobbit move on the other hand...

#6 User is offline   Aiddon Valentin 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 5880

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

It...definitely intrigues me. I always wondered what would happen to the brand after Lucas retired or passed on. Star Wars is one ofthe most legendary brands in culture, not just in entertainment but art and society. Considering that the prequels failed mostly due to Lucas wanting to have complete control of them, new movies with him taking a backseat while other people write and direct them is a fascinating prospect. I mean, DOZENS of filmmakers were influenced and inspired by the Trilogy, so I can only imagine what would happen if you got somebody like Neill Blomkamp, Michael Mann, Sam Mendes, Chris Nolan, Ridley Scott, Matthew Vaughn, or just the DOZENS of filmmakers who have taken influence from the Trilogy's example. Like I said, fascinating at the least.
Kuchiki Byakuya: Ohayocon '06
Kuchiki Byakuya: ACen '06
Rose: Ohayocon '07
Part of Shinigami Squad '06

#7 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:05 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on 30 October 2012 - 05:18 PM, said:

this, pretty much.

dude, i barely made it through episode one.
now that new hobbit move on the other hand...

Barely got through the movies; I liked the book better so they won't be getting my money. That's imo. Wreck it Ralph will get my cash.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#8 User is offline   Visadin the insane 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 46337

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

given what disny did with the muppets and marval, i do have some hope if lucas have no screwing control. and since star wars and indieana jones have a present in the theame parks it kind of a given. hell i would love for a indieana jones remake with bale or JGL.

also 4 billion for lucasfilms, star wars name, and given it also skywalker sound and ILM seem cheep to me.

also given this is a very heavly anime movie, i am shock no one is asking for death star in KH series yet.
ACEN 2012 cosplay: white mage (FF), male pokemon trainer (pokemon black)

#9 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 11087

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

Best possible thing that can come out of today's news: Dolan Wars.

Disney princess
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Prayer Police: 30 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

#10 User is offline   Aiddon Valentin 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

View PostPrayer Police, on 30 October 2012 - 07:55 PM, said:

Best possible thing that can come out of today's news: Dolan Wars.

Disney princess
Posted Image

There is gonna be SO much fanart of Star Wars crossing over with Disney and Marvel it'll be ridiculous.

#11 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:05 PM

Not getting my money either. Disney is just gonna hoare this even more then before. Just wait.

This post has been edited by Dark Stranger: 30 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#12 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:04 AM

View PostDark Stranger, on 30 October 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

Not getting my money either. Disney is just gonna hoare this even more then before. Just wait.

I'd like to say the same thing, but...

...yeah, I'll probably go see it. I mean, it's Star Wars.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"I owe my inner child"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#13 User is offline   Agatha 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61511

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:28 AM

Huh. Well, it can't be any worse than I, II, and III, I suppose.

#14 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

View PostAgatha, on 31 October 2012 - 12:28 AM, said:

Huh. Well, it can't be any worse than I, II, and III, I suppose.

agreed. Lucas isn't in the reigns...so...it has potential. Tho, hope they don't step on the books that play after...which is canon.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#15 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:50 AM

I have hopes Disney lets Lucasarts be, well, Lucasarts without Lucas' hand in everything. I see Lucasarts being a studio subsidiary such as Marvel and Pixar. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing Pixar play with the license some...perhaps inject some star wars toys into the Toy Story universe. I mean, Star Wars toys are pretty iconic.

Kingdom Hearts..

#16 User is offline   MOMO2 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 49830

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

I herd a new Starwars, meh, but when I herd about a Hobbit movie I was like wooooooooooo!!!! I knew about it was just saying. =)
The only thing to fear is yourself.

#17 User is offline   NinjaJedi007 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 59569

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

If they truly plan on Episode 7, then I'm a bit worried. To expand on, or surpass, such a famous movie series would be a challenge for Disney. Hopefully they'll make it their own and turn it into something great? I see it like the new Predators movie: it took place in the jungle again but went in a different direction because how can they really top the Arnold Schwarzenegger classic everyone knows and loves!
Dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

#18 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

I personally look forward to seeing what can be done with it since I love Star Wars and am not cynical, bitter and jaded about everything.

This post has been edited by TheStrongJaeger: 31 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

All systems... GO!

#19 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

I'm probably the only person here who is excited? Possibly the only person on the internet?I love Star Wars and would love to see Disney take it in a direction away from the Skywalker family and explore the rest of the universe, like the books do. Although they probably won't, I'm still pretty excited to see what they do with this, and either way, it can't be any worse than the second trilogy.
It just can't.
They have the funds and a great creative minds on their side, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt before I become outraged or annoyed.

(Disney please make a movie exclusively about the Hutts. Maybe Jabba's angsty teenage years omg.)

#20 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

View PostTheStrongJaeger, on 31 October 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

I personally look forward to seeing what can be done with it since I love Star Wars and am not cynical, bitter and jaded about everything.

THIS

View PostKii, on 31 October 2012 - 12:02 PM, said:

I'm probably the only person here who is excited? Possibly the only person on the internet?I love Star Wars and would love to see Disney take it in a direction away from the Skywalker family and explore the rest of the universe, like the books do. Although they probably won't, I'm still pretty excited to see what they do with this, and either way, it can't be any worse than the second trilogy.It just can't.They have the funds and a great creative minds on their side, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt before I become outraged or annoyed.(Disney please make a movie exclusively about the Hutts. Maybe Jabba's angsty teenage years omg.)

And THIS

Lucas and Disney had already collaborated on several occasions. 99% of the time the results were pure gold. (Star Tours anyone? Star Wars weekends at Disney World?)
Of course Disney buy outs have happened in the past and good things have followed
Like , ya know... Marvel...
Unless no one liked the Avengers....
2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Honoka-Dead or Alive Last Roumd
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#21 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

Hmm, I just thought about John Carter.

#22 User is offline   retro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 17321

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

hpeing for the best. Sure this could hurt the expanded cannon but it could be good. plus theres a chance for more willow how can that not be good
In life you can laugh or cry I interned to die laughing

#23 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

I'll specify a little more on my mindset. I haven't been happy with star wars for awhile now. The clone wars seires and things like it have just kinda killed it for me. Disney is not stupid and their star wars stuff has been fun at the parks and whatnot. But I doubt they will be able to get me to spend money on any sort of tv or movie series. I'm not gonna blindy throw my money at them.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#24 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

View Postrondo, on 31 October 2012 - 01:05 PM, said:

Hmm, I just thought about John Carter.

Ya know the guy who directed that and urged Disney to do it also directed WALL-E and Finding Nemo so Disney was very happy to back him
And they were skeptical when Jason Segal wanted to write a new Muppets film ( the guy in R rated films and what have you? no way) which of course was a critical and financial success
Even with the best people sometimes a gamble is a gamble
Don't get me wrong, John Carter was a terrible movie. But I do have faith Disney has something to "bring to the table" with Lucasfilm in it's tool box.
2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Honoka-Dead or Alive Last Roumd
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#25 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

View PostNinjaJedi007, on 31 October 2012 - 09:47 AM, said:

If they truly plan on Episode 7, then I'm a bit worried. To expand on, or surpass, such a famous movie series would be a challenge for Disney. Hopefully they'll make it their own and turn it into something great? I see it like the new Predators movie: it took place in the jungle again but went in a different direction because how can they really top the Arnold Schwarzenegger classic everyone knows and loves!

there's a difference between a movie actually being great, and it just being nostalgic and iconic to pop culture.

it's definitely imaginable that a contemporary predators movie could be made that's better than the old movies.
it's totally possible that the new star wars movie could be the best of the entire series as a film unto itself, but
it's just really unlikely that it'll have the same success or anywhere near the same level of pop culture resonance, considering
the timing and trends in movies are so different now.

competition is stronger from other star wars-like films, including the original trilogy itself, so regardless of whether the movie
turns out good or not, it's not gonna get the same level of reverence from fans; even if disney ended up making THE BEST STAR WARS MOVIE
EVER, it's not going to have the same impact. that being said, disney has plenty of successfully managed live-action movie franchises
right now, so they're definitely not going to butcher it anymore than lucas already has on his own.

View PostTheStrongJaeger, on 31 October 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

..I am not cynical, bitter and jaded about everything.

dude, you say that like it's a bad thing.
but seriously, i think anyone really upset is probably just wearing their nerd-hat with
matching nostalgia goggles, anyway. they're just pissed at and frightened by anything different from the things
they were exposed to as a child.

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 31 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

#26 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

View PostKii, on 31 October 2012 - 12:02 PM, said:

I'm probably the only person here who is excited? Possibly the only person on the internet?I love Star Wars and would love to see Disney take it in a direction away from the Skywalker family and explore the rest of the universe, like the books do. Although they probably won't, I'm still pretty excited to see what they do with this, and either way, it can't be any worse than the second trilogy.
It just can't.
They have the funds and a great creative minds on their side, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt before I become outraged or annoyed.

(Disney please make a movie exclusively about the Hutts. Maybe Jabba's angsty teenage years omg.)

I'm more indifferent. I might watch it on bootleg since my mom was a big Wars/Trek fan.

But I rarely see movies unless it's something totally out there.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#27 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on 31 October 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

dude, you say that like it's a bad thing.
but seriously, i think anyone really upset is probably just wearing their nerd-hat with
matching nostalgia goggles, anyway. they're just pissed at and frightened by anything different from the things
they were exposed to as a child.

Posted Image
All systems... GO!

#28 User is offline   Aiddon Valentin 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 31 October 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

Ya know the guy who directed that and urged Disney to do it also directed WALL-E and Finding Nemo so Disney was very happy to back him
And they were skeptical when Jason Segal wanted to write a new Muppets film ( the guy in R rated films and what have you? no way) which of course was a critical and financial success
Even with the best people sometimes a gamble is a gamble
Don't get me wrong, John Carter was a terrible movie. But I do have faith Disney has something to "bring to the table" with Lucasfilm in it's tool box.

Current Disney is a LOT better than when it was under Eisner's tenure. So far the Marvel films have been a big success for them, Pixar is at the top of their game (with the occasional stumble like Cars 2), and even their Disney movies have been good (fingers crossed with Wreck-it Ralph). Iger has been a good boss for the studio so far, so we'll see where this goes. I'd really like to see what new films under the direction of the countless filmmakers who were influenced by Star Wars over the years. That's what fascinates me. It almost sounds like Disney is trying to turn this into a James Bond-esque franchise.

#29 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

View PostAiddon Valentin, on 31 October 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

Current Disney is a LOT better than when it was under Eisner's tenure. So far the Marvel films have been a big success for them, Pixar is at the top of their game (with the occasional stumble like Cars 2), and even their Disney movies have been good (fingers crossed with Wreck-it Ralph). Iger has been a good boss for the studio so far, so we'll see where this goes. I'd really like to see what new films under the direction of the countless filmmakers who were influenced by Star Wars over the years. That's what fascinates me. It almost sounds like Disney is trying to turn this into a James Bond-esque franchise.

And even Cars 2 was watchable. I didn't really want All Mater All The Time, but it was fun, if nowhere near as good as the first.

If Disney's smart, they'll just hand over the screenplay to Timothy Zahn. My preference is a sort-of prequel with Han Solo, with Nathan Fillion playing him...

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"I can dream"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#30 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

Ill guarrantee you it'll be something already written and it will be placed after return of the jedi.
"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users