Anime Central Forums: Nintendo's Wii U - Anime Central Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nintendo's Wii U Ready for U this holiday season.

#1 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:15 AM

Well, decided to put up a Wii U thread since it doesn't look like there was one around.

Recently, a rumored leak shows a potential release date on November 11th with price points of $249, $299, & $349 which seems entirely plausible.

So, will you be putting down a reservation or getting a Wii U this year? Getting one at all?

Personally, I'm not sure where I stand with the Wii U. In all honestly, I have barely played any of my three active consoles, with the 360/Wii overwhelmingly quiet over the past couple of years. I may sit on the sidelines this start of the "next-gen". My stance may change if I see a must have game show up.

Nintendo's Wii U

EDIT:
Well the release date is November 18th. The prices are a painful $299 and $349. Only $349 will have any kind of game with it.

$299 Basic Set (white)
Wii U console
One GamePad
Sensor bar
8GB SSD
HDMI cable

$349 Deluxe Set
Wii U console
One GamePad
Sensor bar
HDMI cable
Charging stand
Console stand
32GB SSD
Nintendo Land game disc

Looks like a second Bayonetta is heading to the U as well as a decent line of third party titles.

Still, I'm underwhelmed because of the price.

This post has been edited by rondo: 13 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

#2 User is offline   Kent 

• Berserker
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61118

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

I'm definitely going to wait, I think the price will be too high when it comes out. I'll buy one for sure when the next Zelda game comes out.
Trying to gather ideas for next cosplay...?!?

#3 User is offline   Agatha 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61511

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

I'm waiting.

I think it could be fun, but I'm not sold on it, especially since I don't console game as much as I used to. I'll wait and see how it is, what games come out for it, if there's a price drop, etc.

#4 User is offline   Soy Sauce 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 4725

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

As much as I like getting systems on the day it releases, I'll be waiting as well. There's maybe a few games I would like to get, but not enough for me to go all over for and buy it ASAP. I'm still interested in trying one out just to see how it is in person. Probably buy one sometime in Spring 2013.
SoyCon 8 | The Island Paradise
July 18-19, 2015 in Rolling Meadows, IL
Join us on Facebook, Tumblr, and Twitter as well!

#5 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

Here's the problem with the Wii U. Nintendo waited WAY too long to announce these things. I understand that they wanted to be sure that Microsoft and Sony didn't try playing copycat, but seriously? Just two months out and we get a release date and pricing? At least with other consoles - handheld and otherwise - information has been released with a bit more lead time than that. It's a hefty purchase, and although I'm sure some folks will buy it (especially for the holidays), it's just not going to be very feasible for a good chunk of consumers.

Plus, there's the fact that although they slipped in about 1 GB of RAM in that sucker, the CPU barely scratches the surface. Pretty disappointing, given what Nintendo expects the U to do.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#6 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

I'm going to wait and see since the new Smash is suppose to be out on the Wii U and the Wii U only.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#7 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

I see nothing appealing about it yet. It will still likely have the same terrible online system, the graphics will be a generation behind still, there have been no good games shown or officially announced for it, the controller looks ridiculous and pointless/uncomfortable and due to that controller it will likely be more expensive than it should be.

Unless it does a complete 180 I'm going to have to pass on it.
All systems... GO!

#8 User is offline   Aiddon Valentin 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 5880

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

View PostValkyrie, on 06 September 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

Here's the problem with the Wii U. Nintendo waited WAY too long to announce these things. I understand that they wanted to be sure that Microsoft and Sony didn't try playing copycat, but seriously? Just two months out and we get a release date and pricing? At least with other consoles - handheld and otherwise - information has been released with a bit more lead time than that. It's a hefty purchase, and although I'm sure some folks will buy it (especially for the holidays), it's just not going to be very feasible for a good chunk of consumers.

Plus, there's the fact that although they slipped in about 1 GB of RAM in that sucker, the CPU barely scratches the surface. Pretty disappointing, given what Nintendo expects the U to do.

Firstly, Nintendo announced the official release dates for the Wii and DS about two months before they officially launched (for the 3DS it was four months for the Japanese launch) so that's nothing out of the ordinary for them; it obviously didn't hurt them since the Wii and the DS selling like mad became a bloody meme. Secondly, the specs for the Wii U haven't been announced. At all. Including what the Ram, CPU, or GPU is like aside from some EXTREMELY vague descriptions.

Anyway, I'm probably going to getting one at launch; Pikmin 3 and NSMBU are reason enough to get one, but then you got some neat stuff like Ubisoft's ZombiU and Platinum Games' Project P-100. I really wanna see what some studios can do with the gamepad.
Kuchiki Byakuya: Ohayocon '06
Kuchiki Byakuya: ACen '06
Rose: Ohayocon '07
Part of Shinigami Squad '06

#9 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:14 PM

View PostAiddon Valentin, on 06 September 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

At all. Including what the Ram, CPU, or GPU is like aside from some EXTREMELY vague descriptions.

Pretty much every developer that has worked on it has said that the specs are comparable to the current gen. And all of the screenshots released have confirmed that. So it's safe to assume it will be equal to the PS3/360.

And while the controller could be interesting, the Wii remote could have been interesting and it ended up that maybe 1 out of every 100 games used it in a halfway decent way.

And if you've bought NSMB Wii or the new NSMB on the DS then you've already played NSMB U. It's going to be the same damn game.
All systems... GO!

#10 User is offline   Aiddon Valentin 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:03 AM

View PostTheStrongJaeger, on 06 September 2012 - 11:14 PM, said:

Pretty much every developer that has worked on it has said that the specs are comparable to the current gen. And all of the screenshots released have confirmed that. So it's safe to assume it will be equal to the PS3/360.

And while the controller could be interesting, the Wii remote could have been interesting and it ended up that maybe 1 out of every 100 games used it in a halfway decent way.

And if you've bought NSMB Wii or the new NSMB on the DS then you've already played NSMB U. It's going to be the same damn game.

Okay, where? Where are these reports? Saying "pretty much every developer" is not empirical data. Plus most of the games shown are either A. Stuff that's coming out at the BEGINNING of this system's cycle (where the graphical power of a console has yet to be tapped) or B. Ports. They're not fully indicative of what the console is capable of.

Then you're not railing on motion control itself, you're railing against developers for being too lazy or complacent to even TRY. That's not the hardware's fault that current developers were too scared to try something different.

Good, because Mario doesn't really need to be anything but Mario. Which entails incredible platforming and exquisite level design that nobody can match.

This post has been edited by Aiddon Valentin: 07 September 2012 - 12:06 AM

#11 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:26 PM

View PostAiddon Valentin, on 07 September 2012 - 12:03 AM, said:

Okay, where? Where are these reports? Saying "pretty much every developer" is not empirical data. Plus most of the games shown are either A. Stuff that's coming out at the BEGINNING of this system's cycle (where the graphical power of a console has yet to be tapped) or B. Ports. They're not fully indicative of what the console is capable of.

http://www.arabicgam...ual-to-xbox-360

http://spong.com/art...h-Wii-U-Arrival

Just off the top there is two major developers who are working on the Wii U who have confirmed that.
All systems... GO!

#12 User is offline   Gwydion 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 9082

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:00 AM

View PostKent, on 06 September 2012 - 08:30 AM, said:

I'm definitely going to wait, I think the price will be too high when it comes out. I'll buy one for sure when the next Zelda game comes out.

This is my stance as well. While I'm sure there will be other games I'm interested in, the Wii U Zelda will be the one that will actually get me to buy the system. I can wait until then.

#13 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:13 AM

I'll be waiting. There hasn't been really any games that have interested me so far into wanting to help invest into getting the Wii U, so until then, I'll be holding off on placing funds into helping my family get one.

At least until new Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, and Mario Party games are announced. THEN I'll consider it. XD
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (60%; Fairy Tail)
Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series), Pearl (100%; Steven Universe)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#14 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

View PostAshori, on 09 September 2012 - 12:13 AM, said:

I'll be waiting. There hasn't been really any games that have interested me so far into wanting to help invest into getting the Wii U, so until then, I'll be holding off on placing funds into helping my family get one.

At least until new Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, and Mario Party games are announced. THEN I'll consider it. XD

Off topic but new Harvest moon is going to be on the 3DS so far:
http://www.ign.com/a...ing-screenshots
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#15 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:26 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 09 September 2012 - 11:50 AM, said:

Off topic but new Harvest moon is going to be on the 3DS so far:
http://www.ign.com/a...ing-screenshots

Yeah, I don't have a 3DS either. XD
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (60%; Fairy Tail)
Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series), Pearl (100%; Steven Universe)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#16 User is offline   Aiddon Valentin 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:07 PM

View PostTheStrongJaeger, on 07 September 2012 - 09:26 PM, said:

http://www.arabicgam...ual-to-xbox-360

http://spong.com/art...h-Wii-U-Arrival

Just off the top there is two major developers who are working on the Wii U who have confirmed that.

1. The article from Crytek says "at bare minimum" it is equal to the 360. It's more than likely MORE powerful.

2. The Ubisoft comment is is talking about the GAME, not really the Wii U's hardware.

This post has been edited by Aiddon Valentin: 10 September 2012 - 10:08 PM

#17 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:16 PM

View PostAiddon Valentin, on 10 September 2012 - 10:07 PM, said:

1. The article from Crytek says "at bare minimum" it is equal to the 360. It's more than likely MORE powerful.

Now who's guilty of conjecture and not using empirical data?
All systems... GO!

#18 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:38 PM

Nintendo hasn't really showed a interest in "hardcore" gamers since the wii, so I'm proabably gonna wait to get it. If at all. Don't have my own wii. And after all the years it's been out with only a handfull of games, I'm glad I don't.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#19 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

http://kotaku.com/59...ber-13?tag=wiiu
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#20 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 11 September 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

Nice. Either that or I was thinking Tokyo Game Show in another week. Really curious about the price of it.
All systems... GO!

#21 User is offline   Aiddon Valentin 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

a very special message from Reggie:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyGo4Tbd7O0&feature=youtu.be[/media]

#22 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 11 September 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

Cool that's tomorrow.

10am Eastern is what....8am central
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#23 User is offline   Aiddon Valentin 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 12 September 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

Cool that's tomorrow.

10am Eastern is what....8am central

9 am

#24 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

View PostAiddon Valentin, on 12 September 2012 - 06:24 PM, said:

9 am

I thought they were two hours ahead of us? I thought it was:

Two hours behind <- West and two hours ahead -> East?

It's only one hour?
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#25 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:06 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 12 September 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

I thought they were two hours ahead of us? I thought it was:

Two hours behind <- West and two hours ahead -> East?

It's only one hour?

One hour. Eastern, Central, Mountain, Pacific.
All systems... GO!

#26 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:35 AM

Yup, today is the day. Hopefully any remaining answers are...well, answered. Would like to see those specs.

Updated OP with details as they are released today.

This post has been edited by rondo: 13 September 2012 - 08:43 AM

#27 User is offline   Aiddon Valentin 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:01 AM

Altogether a pretty good conference; they showed what they needed to and had a few surprises (like Bayonetta 2). The price is pretty much what I expected. Of course I'm getting Pikmin 3 and NSMBU and keeping my eye on ZombiU and the Wonderful 101.

This post has been edited by Aiddon Valentin: 13 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

#28 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 11087

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

View PostValkyrie, on 06 September 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

Your body wasn't ready
Posted Image
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

#29 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

350? I rather buy a Vita then!

And the cheaper one looks like crap -.-;\

Wait are you sure about west being one hour? Because they are two hours here and I'm in central. I talk to a girl in Cali and she's always two hours behind of me. Same with my friend.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 13 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#30 User is offline   magishine 

• Tenkuu Yuusha
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 21997

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:28 PM

So anybody else gonna wait on the Wii U for now? I want to buy it I really do but the Wii was a terrible system and I don't want to buy another console that'll only have a handful of games worth playing
uchu kitaaaaaa!!!!

Cosplays for ACen 2017 and progress made

Greg Universe (5% complete)

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users