Anime Central Forums: NYC plan to ban large sugary beverages - Anime Central Forums

Jump to content

  • 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

NYC plan to ban large sugary beverages What are your thoughts on this?

#91 User is offline   Agatha 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61511
  • Posts: 147
  • Joined: 13-February 12

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

View Postrondo, on 05 June 2012 - 07:36 AM, said:

You know, I see those cans from time to time but does anyone ever buy them? Also, aren't they pricey?


People do buy them, even though they are pricey - I've seen people carry them in bagged lunches because they take up less space than 12oz cans. They also can be convenient to bring to an event where you plan on making mixed drinks but aren't going to use a whole bottle (and don't want to have a bottle sitting around going flat, if you're not a habitual soda drinker.)

As for drinking when thirsty - well, I'm not someone who's usually sipping something, so if I'm drinking liquid it's cause I'm REALLY thirsty, and that's not gonna do it for me. XD

This post has been edited by fruitflavor: 05 June 2012 - 09:27 AM


#92 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284
  • Posts: 1,978
  • Joined: 09-January 11
  • Location:где-то в Соединенных Штатах Америки

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:32 AM

View Postrondo, on 05 June 2012 - 07:36 AM, said:

You know, I see those cans from time to time but does anyone ever buy them? Also, aren't they pricey?


-Cute

-It's favorite brand

-For parties and snobs

That's what those cans are for X)

There wasn't this much talk when MCDs took away the Super size pop...
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.


Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#93 User is offline   rondo 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075
  • Posts: 1,423
  • Joined: 13-January 07

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 05 June 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:


There wasn't this much talk when MCDs took away the Super size pop...


Thing is, MCD made a business decision to eliminate some of their own products..a small sample size. The ban from a government hand has a much larger scope. You'd have options at other restaurants before..not so much in this case.

By the look of the cups they still have, I'm not sure the super size left..except in name. Most of the big cups have smaller bases but slightly larger tops. The $1 teas are pretty massive though much of the volume is sucked up by ice cubes unless you specifically ask for no/little ice.

#94 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

  • Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 56275
  • Posts: 846
  • Joined: 05-May 10
  • Location:Chicago, IL

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

View Postrondo, on 05 June 2012 - 07:36 AM, said:

You know, I see those cans from time to time but does anyone ever buy them? Also, aren't they pricey?

As others said, yeah people actually buy them for some reason I don't understand, haha. I went to a friend's party last weekend and she had the half sized cans of Dr Pepper. I guess they're nice if you're not that thirsty...but if I'm grabbing a can of soda, I'm thirsty and intend to drink the whole thing haha. And as Dark said, only a buck or two less than regular cans. It really makes no sense whatsoever. They might be good for children, who aren't going to finish a whole can...but my mom would always just pour me a glass with half and drink the rest herself haha.
ACen 2017 Plans
Thursday: Maki Nishikino (Swimsuit, Circus) [Love Live! School Idol Project]
Friday: Rider [Fate/Stay Night], Maki Nishikino (Little Devil) Kisumi Shigino [Free!], Kae Serinuma (Gym) [Kiss Him Not Me!]
Saturday: Layla Hamilton [Kaleido Star] 100%, Zen (Spicy Jalapeno) [Mystic Messenger] Maki Nishikino (Sunny Day Song)
Sunday: Christophe Giacometti (Rapsodie Espagnole) [Yuri!!! on Ice] 100%

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takahashi Cosplay

#95 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

  • Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 56275
  • Posts: 846
  • Joined: 05-May 10
  • Location:Chicago, IL

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:14 PM

Breaking new on this topic! Kinda.

http://money.msn.com...605&id=15187415

So apparently by 2015 Disney will stop showing commercials featuring junk food. Anyone else think these new pushes towards being healthy are a bit ridiculous? I mean, it's not like a kid can go buy the things seen in these ads, it's on the parents. And the parents should be responsible enough to either say no or give their child sweets in moderation.
ACen 2017 Plans
Thursday: Maki Nishikino (Swimsuit, Circus) [Love Live! School Idol Project]
Friday: Rider [Fate/Stay Night], Maki Nishikino (Little Devil) Kisumi Shigino [Free!], Kae Serinuma (Gym) [Kiss Him Not Me!]
Saturday: Layla Hamilton [Kaleido Star] 100%, Zen (Spicy Jalapeno) [Mystic Messenger] Maki Nishikino (Sunny Day Song)
Sunday: Christophe Giacometti (Rapsodie Espagnole) [Yuri!!! on Ice] 100%

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takahashi Cosplay

#96 User is offline   myrla 

  • Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 60134
  • Posts: 265
  • Joined: 04-May 11
  • Location:Austin, TX

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

View Postfruitflavor, on 05 June 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

People do buy them, even though they are pricey - I've seen people carry them in bagged lunches because they take up less space than 12oz cans. They also can be convenient to bring to an event where you plan on making mixed drinks but aren't going to use a whole bottle (and don't want to have a bottle sitting around going flat, if you're not a habitual soda drinker.)

As for drinking when thirsty - well, I'm not someone who's usually sipping something, so if I'm drinking liquid it's cause I'm REALLY thirsty, and that's not gonna do it for me. XD


We buy them here to keep in the house. When I have a soda craving, those little cans work just as well as the larger cans or the bottles. Once I'm done with the little can, I change to water or juice or tea or anything that isn't soda.

At one point in my life I drank 3-4 2 liters a week on my own. I've not had a cavity in over 15 years. But my weight fluctuates so much if I drink a lot of soda versus a little. (I also got mono, that's what it took to break my caffeine addiction..) It's amazing how many empty calories really are in soda. Around here, a glass of soda (unlimited refills!) is 32 oz at a theater. that's 1 oz short of being a liter. Do I really NEED a liter of soda to make it through an hour and a half movie? No. Not even close.

a big problem is people aren't willing to actually make active choices in their lifestyle that will benefit them. Sure, you can buy more soda in 2 liters for cheaper, but that 8 pack of 8 oz cans has almost the same amount of soda as that 2 liter. And do people here drink 8 glasses on 8 different days from a 2 liter? I highly doubt it.

This post has been edited by myrla: 05 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

#97 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284
  • Posts: 1,978
  • Joined: 09-January 11
  • Location:где-то в Соединенных Штатах Америки

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 05 June 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

Breaking new on this topic! Kinda.

http://money.msn.com...605&id=15187415

So apparently by 2015 Disney will stop showing commercials featuring junk food. Anyone else think these new pushes towards being healthy are a bit ridiculous? I mean, it's not like a kid can go buy the things seen in these ads, it's on the parents. And the parents should be responsible enough to either say no or give their child sweets in moderation.


The worse one was the disney ride that shut down the minute it opened and "promoted healthy eating habits." x)

EDIT: I don't think it's ridiculous. Society and people live on image so why not set a positive image? Obesity, stupidity, and power hungry arrogance is what the world thinks this country is so anything to set it on a positive motivated light will be used by the companies with money: Wii fit, Kinetic, healthy commericals, rise in healthy food choices, etc. -shrugs-

Could be worse; could be like how it was in the 70s with anti war and anti Europe stuff.

BTW pop doesn't cause cavities; bad eating habits, genetics, and not going to the dentist does.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 05 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.


Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#98 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

  • Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 56275
  • Posts: 846
  • Joined: 05-May 10
  • Location:Chicago, IL

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 05 June 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

I don't think it's ridiculous. Society and people live on image so why not set a positive image?

True. I don't think it's a bad thing that Disney will stop showing commercials of unhealthy foods (or that cartoon network and nick are going to feel pressure to do the same) I just think it's overdoing it a bit. Maybe it'll be useful, who knows. Listening to all these stories about fat kids, I feel like I was the only one whose parents consistently said no if I asked for candy or ice cream or whatever xD It shouldn't have to be on companies like Disney to fix this, it should be on the parents. When I was growing up anything with sugar was a treat earned for good behavior, not a necessity or something I was entitled to. The most unhealthy thing I consistently got were probably fruit roll ups :P but if it takes something like big television companies not advertising bad foods so kids don't know about them to fix our weight problem, so be it.
ACen 2017 Plans
Thursday: Maki Nishikino (Swimsuit, Circus) [Love Live! School Idol Project]
Friday: Rider [Fate/Stay Night], Maki Nishikino (Little Devil) Kisumi Shigino [Free!], Kae Serinuma (Gym) [Kiss Him Not Me!]
Saturday: Layla Hamilton [Kaleido Star] 100%, Zen (Spicy Jalapeno) [Mystic Messenger] Maki Nishikino (Sunny Day Song)
Sunday: Christophe Giacometti (Rapsodie Espagnole) [Yuri!!! on Ice] 100%

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takahashi Cosplay

#99 User is offline   NinjaJedi007 

  • Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 59569
  • Posts: 461
  • Joined: 27-February 11
  • Location:under your bed

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:55 PM

^ IMO, not even showing commercials with unhealthy foods is overdoing it a bit. People have mentioned it before, but more responsibility should be on the parents, not the food companies. A child watching a mountain of candy on TV won't make him unhealthy. The parents that buy the candy make him unhealthy.
Dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

#100 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284
  • Posts: 1,978
  • Joined: 09-January 11
  • Location:где-то в Соединенных Штатах Америки

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

View PostNinjaJedi007, on 05 June 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

^ IMO, not even showing commercials with unhealthy foods is overdoing it a bit. People have mentioned it before, but more responsibility should be on the parents, not the food companies. A child watching a mountain of candy on TV won't make him unhealthy. The parents that buy the candy make him unhealthy.


Well the problem is that this country is really commericalized and it's easier to just buy a child something rather than explain it to them because they will either

1) not get it

2) don't care and want it and want it now (like many adults.)

You can't even yell/discipline your child anymore or you will go to jail (in this state,) but that's a whole another problem there. So let's say a child throws a fit/etc. in the store. You either have to deal with it, might risk going to jail because you -gasp- spanked them, or give them what they want so you can make an escape and punish them later.

As I said this country lives on image, so if healthy foods are portrayed in a good light like pop/toys/candy, many companies think that people might, just might, goes towards them than the junk.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.


Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#101 User is offline   Krystal 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 14958
  • Posts: 2,058
  • Joined: 20-October 07

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

I'm sort of meh. I think "ban" is a harsh word, seeing as you can still buy huge drinks and obviously won't get lynched for drinking it in public. When it comes down to it, restaurants will simply no longer serve such big sizes! I think a big reason people overeat/drink is because America has been programmed to try and get the best deal, or the max for the minimum, and thus will buy larger quantities of unhealthy food if they feel like they're getting more for less. Sort of like supersizing for 99 cents at Mcdonalds.

If the option to get ridiculous quantities is gone, maybe people will start finding that they are truly satisfied with less and can say no to the extra cookie for 1$ in the future.
Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#102 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7281
  • Posts: 1,956
  • Joined: 16-May 06
  • Location:Ft. Wayne, IN.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

As far as the disney thing goes I'm interested to see how that goes. I mean for decades the staple has been for sodas, sweets, cereals commericals, etc, to always be played almost nonstop on childerns programing. It's the target audiance and they beg mom and dad to get it. Which I guess works?....even though it never worked in my house as a kid. If they take it away i'm intersted to see some kind of numbers from either marketing, or paid commerical time, etc. Or will disney just use the empty space to plug more commericals for shows that nobody watches. :P lol
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#103 User is offline   rondo 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075
  • Posts: 1,423
  • Joined: 13-January 07

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:22 PM

View PostDark Stranger, on 05 June 2012 - 10:33 PM, said:

Or will disney just use the empty space to plug more commericals for shows that nobody watches. :P lol


Yeah, they will just up the ante on the self pimping.

#104 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7281
  • Posts: 1,956
  • Joined: 16-May 06
  • Location:Ft. Wayne, IN.

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

Food police chief mayor bloomberg now eyes popcorn to limit or ban now. http://newyorkpost.c...tbVzPN9x28huxjK

Where's my big "I told you so!" sign? These people wont be happy til they complete control your life.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#105 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284
  • Posts: 1,978
  • Joined: 09-January 11
  • Location:где-то в Соединенных Штатах Америки

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:56 AM

View PostDark Stranger, on 13 June 2012 - 09:31 AM, said:

Food police chief mayor bloomberg now eyes popcorn to limit or ban now. http://newyorkpost.c...tbVzPN9x28huxjK

Where's my big "I told you so!" sign? These people wont be happy til they complete control your life.


What's bad about popcorn? -Reads-

Oh come on dark it's Movie popcorn. They are not trying to control everything.

He's trying to get rid of the monopoly that is the movie industry X) I happen to agree on this; movie stars get too much money and any way to get people from going to said shows is a good idea, since you know they are trying to take over the world by reducing human beings to sorry, zombie stages with their 3D and A/C and all.

/sarcasm.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 13 June 2012 - 11:59 AM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.


Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#106 User is offline   linlindesu 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292
  • Posts: 1,142
  • Joined: 11-May 08
  • Location:Rosy Roselle IL

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:48 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 13 June 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

What's bad about popcorn? -Reads-

Oh come on dark it's Movie popcorn. They are not trying to control everything.

He's trying to get rid of the monopoly that is the movie industry X) I happen to agree on this; movie stars get too much money and any way to get people from going to said shows is a good idea, since you know they are trying to take over the world by reducing human beings to sorry, zombie stages with their 3D and A/C and all.

/sarcasm.

let him have his lil moment or else we'll all have to endure another rant that would make spell check cry.
2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Honoka-Dead or Alive Last Roumd
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#107 User is offline   kahad 

  • Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 532
  • Posts: 3,215
  • Joined: 21-May 03
  • Location:Carbondale, IL

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

Give the government an inch and then they end up taking an entire mile.
K-chan (nickname given by ngsilver)
Are YOU on my grilling list??? (Updated 9-26-2008)
Master Chef of the Great Otaku Army and Spam Squad member!!!
AMV Staff ACen 2005-2007, Panel Programming Staff ACen 2008-2017 :) 15 Years!
Maho! - not just a saying, a way of life.
ACen goer since 2003! 17 ACENs and counting!

#108 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284
  • Posts: 1,978
  • Joined: 09-January 11
  • Location:где-то в Соединенных Штатах Америки

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

To be honest I'm up for the government banning movie stuff. You remember that Seinfeld episode with the hot dog from the movies? Or the fact that you can pay a good 20-30 dollars in food alone there?

I remember a popcorn was a good 12-15 dollars alone, not counting the pop, and I paid a good 25 dollars at the show last. Oh and they charge anyone who's over 2 now at some places.

Maybe this will make them lower the prices or people less likely (or more,) to bring their own food and stick it to the man.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.


Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#109 User is offline   FlyingElf 

  • Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 447
  • Posts: 3,884
  • Joined: 19-May 03
  • Location:Utica, MI

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:53 PM

View PostSarahlicious, on 04 June 2012 - 06:42 AM, said:

We shouldn't play it down because even those who claim to understand the dangers of it are not completely in the know of how terrible it is for you. Organic foods cost more because it takes more time/care to grow, harvest, package, and sell. There are no chemicals or steroids used to accelerate the growth or size of the ingredients used in organic products. All of these refined foods (that really shouldn't even be called food) are so processed and handled so quickly. These companies have created shortcuts to ensure quick manufacturing through the use of chemicals, steroids, and artificial sweeteners. There is absolutely nothing natural about pop. It is all processed and has NO nutritional value. Not to mention pop dehydrates your body. Gaining weight should be the least issue concerned with in regards to this. Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, amongst other very preventable things (that drive up our health care costs because so many of us have these conditions now due to poor life management and unhealthy lifestyles.)

The average person who consumes 2000 calories a day (I am only to consume 1600. This number depends on a number of variables) should only consume 100-150 calories from added sugar in one day. One 20oz bottle of Coca Cola contains 240 calories, 65g of added sugars. ALL of those calories come from the added sugar.


All of which you are right about. However, it is still my choice and no one should be telling me what I can put into my body. Especially because they are not deeming it illegal, simply regulating it because they have deemed it irresponsible to sell in higher quantities.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#110 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7281
  • Posts: 1,956
  • Joined: 16-May 06
  • Location:Ft. Wayne, IN.

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 13 June 2012 - 03:48 PM, said:

let him have his lil moment or else we'll all have to endure another rant that would make spell check cry.

awww. cute. Making fun of my spelling. (which I know is bad) instead of focusing on the issue. How quaint.

To the issue itself. I like movie popcorn. I get the largest so me and all my friends can share. What's the harm in that. And this isn't about prices. Look the reason prices are so high is because of 1. Inflation. and 2. People not buying the product so prices have to go up to make up for the lost revenue. I remember the days of 4 dollar popcorn too. But those days are probably never coming back. Look at the big picture. These people aren't going to stop.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#111 User is offline   linlindesu 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292
  • Posts: 1,142
  • Joined: 11-May 08
  • Location:Rosy Roselle IL

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:15 PM

View PostDark Stranger, on 13 June 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

awww. cute. Making fun of my spelling. (which I know is bad) instead of focusing on the issue. How quaint.

To the issue itself. I like movie popcorn. I get the largest so me and all my friends can share. What's the harm in that. And this isn't about prices. Look the reason prices are so high is because of 1. Inflation. and 2. People not buying the product so prices have to go up to make up for the lost revenue. I remember the days of 4 dollar popcorn too. But those days are probably never coming back. Look at the big picture. These people aren't going to stop.

Sadly most browsers still won't cover grammar.

And also, ( I may be wrong) but don't most places allow free popcorn refills on any size besides their smallest?

"It started at soft drinks and now they want only healthy foods at school cafeterias ? this is madness I tells ya, MADNESS!"

Before ya know it, they'll make us stop serving deserts that are pre-made with bacon, and we'll have to put the bacon in there OURSELVES

whatever shall we do...
2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Honoka-Dead or Alive Last Roumd
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#112 User is offline   sentinel28a 

  • Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435
  • Posts: 3,371
  • Joined: 13-January 04
  • Location:Montana, Land of the Weird

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:51 PM

That would be fine, Lin, but what happens when someone says, "Oh, sorry, bacon's bad for you. So you can't have any." (War, that's what would happen. I would kill for bacon.)

The EPA's already determined that coal is bad for Mother Gaia, therefore no more coal-fired powerplants. Okay. What does the EPA have ready to replace coal-fired plants? Um...nothing. So, if your electricity comes from coal, then I hope you like hundreds of dollars in price increases--which will in turn impact other prices, including food (which is already higher due to gas prices being up).

To make matters worse, only some coal burns dirty. West Virginia and Pennsylvania coal give off a lot of smoke. Montana coal does not. The EPA doesn't recognize this distinction. And most of the coal-related pollution comes from China, who builds new coal-fired plants about once every two months.

So why's the EPA doing this? The same reason Bloomberg's trying to tell us what we can't and can eat. Control. We're to be made to be "good," as others define it. Rather than trying to find ways to compromise, or make sure that these new regulations will actually work, we're instead told "You WILL do this, for your own good!"

I'm not a wild-eyed conspiracy theorist. I don't think we should disband the EPA, and I'm neither an Occupier nor a libertarian. But I damn sure am getting tired of self-appointed "experts" in the government telling me how to live my life. Somehow this nation has wagged on for 230 years without them.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Back off my bacon, man"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#113 User is offline   linlindesu 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292
  • Posts: 1,142
  • Joined: 11-May 08
  • Location:Rosy Roselle IL

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:11 AM

View Postsentinel28a, on 13 June 2012 - 11:51 PM, said:

That would be fine, Lin, but what happens when someone says, "Oh, sorry, bacon's bad for you. So you can't have any." (War, that's what would happen. I would kill for bacon.)

The EPA's already determined that coal is bad for Mother Gaia, therefore no more coal-fired powerplants. Okay. What does the EPA have ready to replace coal-fired plants? Um...nothing. So, if your electricity comes from coal, then I hope you like hundreds of dollars in price increases--which will in turn impact other prices, including food (which is already higher due to gas prices being up).

To make matters worse, only some coal burns dirty. West Virginia and Pennsylvania coal give off a lot of smoke. Montana coal does not. The EPA doesn't recognize this distinction. And most of the coal-related pollution comes from China, who builds new coal-fired plants about once every two months.

So why's the EPA doing this? The same reason Bloomberg's trying to tell us what we can't and can eat. Control. We're to be made to be "good," as others define it. Rather than trying to find ways to compromise, or make sure that these new regulations will actually work, we're instead told "You WILL do this, for your own good!"

I'm not a wild-eyed conspiracy theorist. I don't think we should disband the EPA, and I'm neither an Occupier nor a libertarian. But I damn sure am getting tired of self-appointed "experts" in the government telling me how to live my life. Somehow this nation has wagged on for 230 years without them.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Back off my bacon, man"

We often forget for every complaint about ordinances like these, there was someone else complaining for them to even be considered.
People complain that the government isn't helping enough. They blame the government for their kids being fat and lazy. because "health education isn't taught in school" and "insert special snowflake syndrome about their kid here"

We cannot have both.

And yes, this will anger most people but...I think America is getting that stupid.
I think control is becoming needed because our waistlines are expanding faster than our minds.
I am by no means saying every american is stupid, I am saying that as a whole our choices make us the laughing stock of other countries.

And it has a lot to do with the mindset of the american people. We think the government is evil until it is our turn to rely on it.

Mind you, this is on the issue of food, I'm not saying our social rights should be controlled. I just don't think this is going to domino effect to the extent half the naysayers are ranting about.
Unless next week the food rationing starts. ( I'd recommend staying away from the Soylent Green...)
2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Honoka-Dead or Alive Last Roumd
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#114 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284
  • Posts: 1,978
  • Joined: 09-January 11
  • Location:где-то в Соединенных Штатах Америки

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:36 AM

View PostDark Stranger, on 13 June 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

awww. cute. Making fun of my spelling. (which I know is bad) instead of focusing on the issue. How quaint.

To the issue itself. I like movie popcorn. I get the largest so me and all my friends can share. What's the harm in that. And this isn't about prices. Look the reason prices are so high is because of 1. Inflation. and 2. People not buying the product so prices have to go up to make up for the lost revenue. I remember the days of 4 dollar popcorn too. But those days are probably never coming back. Look at the big picture. These people aren't going to stop.


I never remember 4 dollar popcorn. Not even when I was a kid. When my mom took me out to the movies it cost 30 dollars always. For about four people. Not counting food. She rarely did it because it was a good 50 dollars just for me, her, and two cousins. Sometimes close to 100.

This is for: Tickets, a large popcorn, soda for everyone, and one box of candy. Nothing else.

There's a lot wrong with movie popcorn.

1) It's always been high. There was a report about how the prices in movies were going up even more, even though they were high enough. The last time I went to the show, which was the Avengers, my mother in law wanted one. A small was 5-6 dollars and when I mean small I mean small. A large, that you can share with friends that's the tube you are talking about in question, was a good ten-twelve dollars not including tax. If you include drinks that is about 20 dollars there, mind you I didn't add in the tickets.

2) You have no idea what the health codes are with movie popcorn, but that's with anything food wise. Still must I point out the Seinfeld episode again? The last time I got popcorn they put something that wasn't butter on it among other things and he didn't wash his hands after handling the cash. I stopped getting snacks from the show then and there.

3) It's really unhealthy for you period. There has been health concerns about microwave popcorn as well as movie popcorn.

Also why wouldn't they stop? The people in the movies make tons of money, millions. The problem is that they don't want to do so and it's none of their concern. As long as people see their movies and support them, it's ok. And the sad thing is like public subways/buses, you either deal with it, or you don't.

I'm surprised you didn't point out how one state tried to ban MSG for a minute.

@linlindesu: Sadly that's true. Like the whole thing about a lady sueing Mcds over hot coffee because she didn't know it was hot. This is our country.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 14 June 2012 - 01:55 AM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.


Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#115 User is offline   sentinel28a 

  • Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435
  • Posts: 3,371
  • Joined: 13-January 04
  • Location:Montana, Land of the Weird

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

Who determines that America is stupid, though? You? Me? We could probably come up with a "People Too Stupid To Live" List and every name would be different. (Well, we'd probably agree on Snooki. But everyone else.)

I really don't want a government official determining I'm too stupid to know how to live my life. Especially since a lot of government officials aren't too bright themselves. I can think of a few off the top of my head...such as representatives who think Guam is going to capsize because of too many people, or complain because not enough hurricanes are given "black" names, or go to jail for bribery, etc. And that's just elected officials. All of us who have ever had to deal with any kind of government bureaucracy know that some of the salaried workers can be just plain dumb.

Maybe the reason why America seems dumb is that too many people are getting used to Big Daddy Government making their decisions for them. Again, this country has been around for almost 250 years now, and though we've done some boneheaded things, we've actually done pretty well, too.

I'm a fairly smart person, Lin, and so are you. I don't think you'd like it if someone said, "Lin, I'm sorry, but we here at the White House/Congress/Department of Justice/Department of Silly Walks have determined that manga is bad for kids. We don't want kids thinking they're Naruto and spin kicking their classmates, or taking a kendo stick to their classmates because Saeko kills zombies with one. Oh, and we don't think you should read manga either. It's for your own good!" I know I wouldn't like that.

That seems ridiculous, but it wasn't that long ago that the US Post Office turned a guy in for possession of child porn...because he had manga with bathing children in it.

Maybe we are a nation of fatties. But I can look at myself in the mirror, say "Man, Gendo's putting on the pounds" and go start working out or skipping Coldstone Creamery this week. I don't need Mayor Bloomberg telling me that. And if I'm not smart enough to make that decision, my heart and other organs will abruptly remind me of my evil ways sooner or later. Mother Nature has her ways of weeding out the dumb people.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"It used to be that wolves would eat them"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#116 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7281
  • Posts: 1,956
  • Joined: 16-May 06
  • Location:Ft. Wayne, IN.

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

It's not always been high. I remeber when food was just about as cheap as the ticket themselves. But maybe that's cuz of where I live.

And I don't care what's in it. It's good, I want it. If you wanna post a dang caliore label on it, fine. But don't ban it and say I'm stupid for wanting it.

And as it comes to the stupidity of America, if we didn't have a bloated goverment that didnt' make stupid decisions, or have people relying on goverment to take care of them we wouldn't have such stupid or lazy people. I mean why work when you can just sue a busniess or be on welfare?
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#117 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284
  • Posts: 1,978
  • Joined: 09-January 11
  • Location:где-то в Соединенных Штатах Америки

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:08 PM

@Dark again: Depends. In my city it was always high but I live in the city with the highest tax next to NYC.

You see Dark and sentinel, we are the minorities. A majority of people are really that dumb. Just like anything in the world you have the smart people and the dumb people. It's really hard to see the good/smart people over a whole lot of dumb people, which is why this law is being set up. It's to protect the really dumb people for acting well...dumber.

Case in point: Hetalia fans. Now most people only see the dumb people from the fandom as well as the fact that it's a racist, stereotype, misrepresentation of history. Evidence: The thread that was here that I argued about with for a while towards another former Hetalia fan as well as some views from horror stories.

There are smart fans and actual facts in said series but you wouldn't know unless you seen it and most people already have the mentality of not watching it because of said for-mention statement.

Same with this regarding pop/movie popcorn. The minute something happens, even if its their own devices, people want to sue about it. I can imaging someone sueing pop companies (or probably have already,) because pop killed their daughter or pop making them fat or movie popcorn. Putting a label on popcorn won't help because as I said before, it's not really a regulated product. It's there to be there, which is why it's under fire.

You remember that article I put up? About soda killing this one girl? http://news.yahoo.co...-161323721.html another case that people are that stupid.

The issue with someone getting sick over an oversalted burger, instead of doing the smart thing to do and take it back for another one, shows how stupid people are not only in this country, but the world around. Humans are naturally pack animals and would rather go with someone within their own opinion or level of stupidity, instead of being on their own. So even though the government is stupid, unless the good or smart people do something about it, people are going to be constantly stupid and/or lead on by stupid people.

The government itself is by the people; we are the ones that put those people into offices and pay their bills. If you don't want them then don't vote for them or find a way to get the out of your offices. It's not like it's China and we don't have a say so, so many of the issues are because of the people themselves as well as the problems in the government. Don't complain now that it reaches your state; pay attention to the news and watch congress among other things. It's like saying "eh there is a wild fire next state over it doesn't concern me," then complain when it reaches your town.

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 14 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.


Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#118 User is offline   linlindesu 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292
  • Posts: 1,142
  • Joined: 11-May 08
  • Location:Rosy Roselle IL

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

View Postsentinel28a, on 14 June 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

Who determines that America is stupid, though? You? Me? We could probably come up with a "People Too Stupid To Live" List and every name would be different. (Well, we'd probably agree on Snooki. But everyone else.)

I really don't want a government official determining I'm too stupid to know how to live my life. Especially since a lot of government officials aren't too bright themselves. I can think of a few off the top of my head...such as representatives who think Guam is going to capsize because of too many people, or complain because not enough hurricanes are given "black" names, or go to jail for bribery, etc. And that's just elected officials. All of us who have ever had to deal with any kind of government bureaucracy know that some of the salaried workers can be just plain dumb.

Maybe the reason why America seems dumb is that too many people are getting used to Big Daddy Government making their decisions for them. Again, this country has been around for almost 250 years now, and though we've done some boneheaded things, we've actually done pretty well, too.

I'm a fairly smart person, Lin, and so are you. I don't think you'd like it if someone said, "Lin, I'm sorry, but we here at the White House/Congress/Department of Justice/Department of Silly Walks have determined that manga is bad for kids. We don't want kids thinking they're Naruto and spin kicking their classmates, or taking a kendo stick to their classmates because Saeko kills zombies with one. Oh, and we don't think you should read manga either. It's for your own good!" I know I wouldn't like that.

That seems ridiculous, but it wasn't that long ago that the US Post Office turned a guy in for possession of child porn...because he had manga with bathing children in it.

Maybe we are a nation of fatties. But I can look at myself in the mirror, say "Man, Gendo's putting on the pounds" and go start working out or skipping Coldstone Creamery this week. I don't need Mayor Bloomberg telling me that. And if I'm not smart enough to make that decision, my heart and other organs will abruptly remind me of my evil ways sooner or later. Mother Nature has her ways of weeding out the dumb people.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"It used to be that wolves would eat them"


As fujoshi said, we are the minority. You might be smart enough to know when to stop but our youth does not and chances are will not. And sadly, the dumb people still have access to technology that will keep them fat and happy for years to come. The wolves comment reminds me of when the local zoo killed their lone wolf to save some stupid woman that climbed into it's cage. The roles have been reversed :/

and maybe this has a lot to do with where you live from sent. hell today we took my old man to the zoo. He's lived in Rock Fall IL ( heard of it? No one has ) for around 3 years now and he was pretty pissed about the sheer stupidity of the children around him ( he's not bitter, children are becoming monsters) and was giggling about the amount of obese people in short shorts. He just was away from chicagoland long enough to notice the changes of our society.

I'd move if manga was the end all be all for me. Like I said back in 2011, I'd move if that Palin woman ever took office. When they draw a line for me then I'll be on my merry way but for now I'm ok with the mega chumba grande cola cups being blacklisted.

Now sent, you know that fellow had a bit more than that in there ( the Iowa gent). Not saying it was worth the sentence and he should have never had his package searched but some of the yaoi was quite close to being what is legally considered child porn
Spoiler

2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Honoka-Dead or Alive Last Roumd
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#119 User is offline   myrla 

  • Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 60134
  • Posts: 265
  • Joined: 04-May 11
  • Location:Austin, TX

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

FYI, Popcorn is not necessarily bad for you.
http://thechart.blog...h-antioxidants/

Just wanted to clear up that misconception.

Most things in excess are bad for you. Doesn't matter what it is, really.

This post has been edited by myrla: 14 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

#120 User is offline   linlindesu 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292
  • Posts: 1,142
  • Joined: 11-May 08
  • Location:Rosy Roselle IL

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:36 PM

View Postmyrla, on 14 June 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

FYI, Popcorn is not necessarily bad for you.
http://thechart.blog...h-antioxidants/

Just wanted to clear up that misconception.

Most things in excess are bad for you. Doesn't matter what it is, really.

I'm sure the buttery spread is also very high in nutritional value. And the more salt the better I always say!
2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Honoka-Dead or Alive Last Roumd
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

  • 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users