Anime Central Forums: Question about Attending far away conventions - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Question about Attending far away conventions

#1 User is offline   ShadowYin-Yang 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 45136

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:17 AM

Ever since I turned 18, actually...before I even turned 18...I wanted to go Yaoi-Con. However it's all the way in California around October. It's been a couple of years now and I am still in school. My main issue is truly enjoying Yaoi-Con at least a full 2 days of the 3 but I would basically have to fly halfway across the country(Living in Illinois but located in Milwaukee for school) on thursday night and then return on a Sunday in time for Monday classes AND most likely will have homework due as well. I've done just that for closer cons, no later than a state away. That in itself is a hassle and I can only imagine how much worse it can be for distant-cons that I may not end up enjoying it as much as I could. Not to mention, the first time I ever did bring up going to Yaoi-Con, a road-trip was brought up and that seemed fun too...just probably not going to happen if I'm still in school.

Now I'm not speaking just for me wanting to go to Yaoi-Con, there are a bunch of other cons I wish to attend that's...quite a distance away; some even in other countries.

So my question is...how do you guys do it? I can't be the only one that wants to attend cons that are far away and I'm pretty sure a decent amount of people have actually traveled great distances to cons. Are you guys just out of school or something? Or did you do enough immense planning to pull this off while still in school?
ACen 2014:

Confirmed:
-Ash Ketchum (Sinnoh/DP) (Pokemon)
-Louise Belcher (Bob's Burgers)

Maybes:
N/A

#2 User is offline   S1NN3R 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 11618

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:30 AM

How did I not see this?

Well to answer your question, planing! I've done more than my fair share of traveling for conventions. During my college days, I would talk to my professors ahead of time and find out what was needed to be done(classwork/tests) and arrange to either have it finished before hand or after I returned. With this planning I could have as much time as I needed... Did someone say ROAD TRIP?!? I loved Comic-Con in 2007

Also a big part of the planing is finances. If you add every foreseeable expense up, then include a buffer, say $100, will it burden your current living situation? If the answer is yes, time to re-plain.

I still do this for all of my trips. For me Acen is almost always a trans Atlantic flight, so I need to work out all of the details

Feel free to PM me if you want pointers, but please keep in mind of the 6hr time difference. It may be a "delayed" response.

"You'll never have any answers untill you ask the questions"
When people start asking, I'll answer.

Contact Me

Acens attended. 1998-2002, 04-06,08-Present

#3 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

Plan it. Talk to your professors ahead of time, start saving money NOW, make reservations once you know you can afford it - not later, not sooner. In the meantime, check out all the travel sites you can to get ideas of what things cost on the high and low end.

Take extra money, be on a budget, and stick to it.

for god's sakes, BUDGET FOOD. and tips (not only waitresses, but hotel staff, maids in the rooms, etc).

This post has been edited by myrla: 12 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)

#4 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

Figure out in your head:

Cost issues: Will this be a burden on my bills/college loans and costs/rent/food/etc. or can I afford to do such a thing, not because I want it but because I can do it.

Travel: How long will that take and how much will it cost to get there.

Safety: You're going to a new state so you may have to bring a buddy. You can go buy yourself but it's dangerous if you don't know the area, the laws there, etc. Example: Jaywalking is fine here in Chicago but bad in a lot of states and you can get fined and/or jail time for doing it.

Time: Can you afford it? Do you have to rush when you come back? If something happens, like a delay, can you deal with it?

Consider all of these to determine your trip.

Funny I wanted to go to Yaoi-con for a long time too.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#5 User is offline   youth 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 22

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:25 PM

Skip Thursday(assuming 3 day con) & fly there early Fri morn. Fly to the airport offering lowest fares either LAX or Long Beach & use public transit to/from airport (or a shuttle service for safer feeling alternative). There should be return flights in the early evening though you might have to leave the con a little earlier. Rooming with people is where you'll save the biggest amount. I think $500 should be able to cover all this & food. The flight's 3 to 4 hours so maybe you could do your homework on the plane.

This post has been edited by youth: 12 May 2012 - 07:26 PM

g'day
youth

#6 User is offline   ShadowYin-Yang 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 45136

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:01 PM

Wow, so it's possible o_o

I may attempt this next year. It may be a good experience. Thanks for all the suggestions/tips/advice! I need practice in better planning it seems, thank you all!
ACen 2014:

Confirmed:
-Ash Ketchum (Sinnoh/DP) (Pokemon)
-Louise Belcher (Bob's Burgers)

Maybes:
N/A

#7 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:14 PM

if you need help, drop me a pm. I've traveled for years (plane, train, bus, automobile) and have tons of friends who do it for business that are showing me the ropes. ;)
ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users