Anime Central Forums: Is Acen even considered an anime convention anymore? - Anime Central Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Is Acen even considered an anime convention anymore?

#1 User is offline   Hello My Name Is Bob 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62292

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:11 PM

I am writing as an attendee who is calling it quits after attending almost every year since 2000. I met my wife here and have plenty of fond memories and met many friends over the years. However, at this point Anime Central has diverged so far off its original intent to promote Japanese animation and by extension pop culture that it cannot reasonably be called an anime convention any longer. It has become clear in the past few years that those aspects have become secondary or event tertiary to catering to teenage wanna be ravers.

This year is the straw that broke the back because nearly every long standing event was put aside for this new focus. I've enjoyed the masquerade for years and laughed and groaned at skits along with everyone else, even when it would consistently run well over the allotted period. I think most reasonable people can understand that delays happen and the fire alarm was irritating and beyond the control of all but the culprit. However, to dispose of the skits that most people consider the highlight of the show to avoid the runover to cause a delay to a dance that goes to the wee hours of the morning with few problems is an insult to your paying attendees, particularly those who put the effort and time into making a skit to perform just for the sake of entertaining blokes like me. Shame on the management for being so quick to dismiss an event that is by fans and for fans. That is the ultimate slap in the face to your attendees and that alone should have had someone walk in shame.

And for the first time I can remember Anime Hell and Midnight Madness was relegated to second tier status. Before there was youtube and tosh.0, this was one of the ways I got to see the absolute randomness that can be produced by humanity. Fandubs have also been a big part of fan dedication and while sometimes uneven, a proof of the willingness of the attendees of these events to come up with creative means of expressing their love of their hobbies. I've never been disappointed in the event's ability to entertain and based on the packed rooms year after year, I was not alone. This got shunted off into a room with a pretty mediocre setup to make space for an event that is effectively a substitute if not replica of the Soap Bubble on Sat. night.

I was quite saddened by the lack of an AMV contest as well. Again, I'm a big fan of seeing fan efforts on display. In the last several years, it's seemed to have been increasingly forgotten about and hardly promoted, which is strange considering most of the major cons consider it a fairly respectable event. I should say that I am surprised that it was gone this year, but I'm not. Just another example of audience participation events going down the tubes in favor of this new direction.

And then there is programming as a whole. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think there's ever been a year without some degree of confusion in terms of the schedule. There's always last minute changes and cancellations and it happens. That said, I've never seen it to this extent and with so few people knowing of any changes. Apparently if you were on your smart phone with an app you could keep track of those changes, but most people weren't using it and many weren't using it. Is it so much bother to put signs on the entrance to the rooms? Or you know, being able to ask someone on staff at customer service? Based on the complaints I'm already seeing, that was as futile to them as it was to me. How do you have an event when nobody knows that is happening at any given time? This isn't being cantankerous but in all honesty, how do you attend events when nobody is certain which version is the correct one?

And then there's just the quality of the programming. I get to sound old and crotchety once again, but there was a time in the not so distant past when Acen's panels and events were pretty diverse and largely on topics that related fairly closely to anime, games, manga, Japan etc. Even some off kilter panels like Your Favorite Anime Sucks were on topic and meant to be fun. Looking at the schedule it really felt like the emphasis was on everything other than anime and manga. Is it now such a terrible thing to go to an anime convention for anime purposes? And that was if it wasn't moved or relocated to great confusion of the people on staff.

I could go on and on about the declines in video gaming etc. But hey, we have five bands playing!

So if Acen no longer cares about being an anime con, what does it care about? Well, it seems to really want to be a music convention. Two huge raves that have taken all priority over the other events. A lot of the pride and joy of the convention seems to be how many djs can induce underage drinkers. I'm not against the rave, but there was a time long, long ago when the Soap Bubble sufficed. There typically was only one headlining band and SWEK and people had a heck of a time. Now it seems like all that matters is having more music acts than any con. Maybe I'm just an old fart who doesn't find a teen rave appealing when I can just go to a club or even a bar where I can see real music being performed, but it seems a bit excessive.

And that's ultimately what is wrong. It's clear someone in power is so in love with what they love that they overkill it at the expense of variety. Some people aren't into techno music. Some aren't into J-pop or J-rock. If you're not a 17 year old girl, having fashion shows is tedious rather than endearing- but at least it's on topic. You have fans who do actually come for the sake of anime, manga etc. Please by all means bring a music act from Japan to perform. I'm fine with showcasing cultural elements from Japan beyond the nerdy underground. But it shouldn't be all or nothing. Don't assume that everyone is as into what you like as you are and forget what the convention is supposed to be. This isn't a music convention or a comic convention. This is ultimately a convention that is supposed to be FANS celebrating the hobby of Japanese animation and culture. I've seen that focus dwindles every year, particularly when almost every event that involves fan interaction gets pushed aside for the more glamorous portions. There's nothing else if there are no fans.

Please, either go back to being an anime convention (it isn't that dirty to say is it?) or just finish re branding as an electronic music event. At least then we know where your priorities are.

Bah, enough of this. I've made my call, but mayhaps the staff may take some of these things to heart in planning for those who are willing to give the benefit of the doubt despite being burned the past several years.

#2 User is offline   BakaBarbarian 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62211

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:22 PM

Cannot. Agree. More. When the vendor's room seems to have just as many steampunk vendors as anime vendors, it's time to stop mis-labeling this con as an anime con and start calling it what it is: general geekdom. Which is fine but let's have some honesty here. Either strip the con back to its essentials or throw the doors wide open to any and all fandom.

I would only add that this con is pretty much getting to be an excuse for people either too young to drink or too young, albeit of age, to drink responsibly to behave badly. I've posted about it in the suggestions thread here: http://www.acen.org/...ost__p__1076601 . But it seems people are more interested in griping about the lines than about the fact that there is a very real possibility that if you go to ACEN you will have to deal with things like assault, being knocked into the street by people acting like baboons at photo shoots, having to navigate around pointless property destruction, being sworn at by random con-goers just because they think it's funny, stuff like that.

#3 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 31104

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

Yeah, it really bugged me that most of the cosplayers, panels, and items for sale I saw were not anime or manga themed. To each there own, but I was upset that most of the cosplayers were either Homestuck, My Little Ponies, or some sort of internet meme. This is one of the reasons why I am debating not coming back next year. I've noticed that year by year it's become less and less about anime which sucks because that's the whole reason I like to go. If I wanted to go to HomestuckCon or PonyCon than I would go to that, but I want to go to an anime convention. But you can't control the guests can you?
"At the start Henry either dies or has sex, leaving not-Sarah to fall in love with or not in love with a shark, a squid, a pebble, a policeman or none or all of the above."
~*~ Behold my Manga, Cosplay, Artwork and Facebook ! ~*~
Look for me as time skip Sanji from One Piece at ACen 2012!

#4 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 13139

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

I agree but I also believe many of us are the issue as well

Panels are done by con goers...and I mean the more we focus on a fandom the more the con will. Cosplays show the con what people like...
Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#5 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11260

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:38 PM

View PostFoolish Humon, on 30 April 2012 - 11:33 PM, said:

Yeah, it really bugged me that most of the cosplayers, panels, and items for sale I saw were not anime or manga themed. To each there own, but I was upset that most of the cosplayers were either Homestuck, My Little Ponies, or some sort of internet meme. This is one of the reasons why I am debating not coming back next year. I've noticed that year by year it's become less and less about anime which sucks because that's the whole reason I like to go. If I wanted to go to HomestuckCon or PonyCon than I would go to that, but I want to go to an anime convention. But you can't control the guests can you?

I think you might find the dealers' rooms and cosplay to be the same across all of the large anime cons, because for years it's been pretty much the same across all of the anime conventions I've been to. Fandom of all sorts seep over into anime fandom, and the sales from those fans are what bring those dealers to the dealer's room each year.
Visit Happy Hatpire Designs on Etsy: http://hatpire.etsy.com
Tumblr: http://hatpire.tumblr.com
Happy Hatpire Designs will be at Anime Central and Anime Midwest in 2015!

#6 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

View PostSapphy, on 30 April 2012 - 11:38 PM, said:

I think you might find the dealers' rooms and cosplay to be the same across all of the large anime cons, because for years it's been pretty much the same across all of the anime conventions I've been to. Fandom of all sorts seep over into anime fandom, and the sales from those fans are what bring those dealers to the dealer's room each year.

Like I said "you can't control the guests". I don't mind that people buy/sell that stuff and do the cosplays, I just don't want it to turn into just that and have anime and manga become nothing more than a side note. I remember the first year I came to acen I would snicker at the 2 or 3 people that were cosplaying as something not anime themed, and now it looks like it is us anime cosplayers being snickered at, if you know what I mean.
"At the start Henry either dies or has sex, leaving not-Sarah to fall in love with or not in love with a shark, a squid, a pebble, a policeman or none or all of the above."

#7 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

View PostFoolish Humon, on 30 April 2012 - 11:43 PM, said:

I remember the first year I came to acen I would snicker at the 2 or 3 people that were cosplaying as something not anime themed, and now it looks like it is us anime cosplayers being snickered at, if you know what I mean.

It's fun to laugh at people, but it's not fun to be laughed at.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#8 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

I do agree on many points. I personally hate the fashion shows and dances A-Cen run, so I avoid those events like the plague. Sadly, those events made up a large majority of the main content for this year, and it sucked. Plus, it doesn't help that a large majority of the people that attend the dances tend to ruin my experience at the con with their horrid behavior; there's absolutely no reason to come to a convention to get drunk and act like a complete jerk when the point is to have fun and celebrate your love for what the con is actually supposed to be about: anime, manga, and overall Japanese pop culture.

I really don't see why there can't be only one dance. It should run on one night, then the Masquerade on the other, so neither of them are getting cut short by each other. To be honest, even with the evacuation, there should've been no excuse to cut the Masquerade. The Masquerade is part of what makes A-Cen an anime convention, not the Soap Bubble. When it comes to sticking to what A-Cen's true purpose is, it should've been no contest of what was more important to run.

Plus the inconsistencies with things like panel changes and sticking with line policies also doesn't help.

I still plan on trying to attend A-Cen in the future; I love this con despite its flaws and have a lot of fond memories. However, in recent years, I'm becoming more and more disdained with it and it's definitely becoming harder for me to enjoy.
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (60%; Fairy Tail)
Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series), Pearl (100%; Steven Universe)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#9 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 30 April 2012 - 11:44 PM, said:

It's fun to laugh at people, but it's not fun to be laughed at.

Haha, not my point. I don't care if I was laughed at for my cosplay (I'm a cosplayer and proud [I guess XD])my main point was that anime should not be in the minority at an anime convention. It's not like I was like "haha look at the this a-hole here not dressed up like a character from a japanese cartoon!" I usually thought that they were really good and there was good reason they chose the cosplay they did, I just didn't want acen to turn into what it seems to be turning into.

#10 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:56 PM

As someone who's attended ACen since 2002, I can understand some people's quarrels with it no longer being about the anime, but I don't think that's entirely true. Yes we see panels for things such as Mortal Kombat, My Little Pony, Homestruck, etc. but then we see the video rooms are as far as I remember 100% anime/hentai. In addition they had old school anime like Puss N Boots, Kimba the White Lion, and Lupin the Third along with popular titles of Yu Yu Hakusho and Hellsing, and plenty of new stuff as well. I saw many group gatherings for anime picture taking, plenty of anime merchandise being sold, etc.

You can feel however you want, but while ACen is a non-profit organization, they will always want to have more funds so we can get the Chris Sabats, the EyeShine concerts, the guests from Japan, etc. In the end they will always do whatever gains more people as long as the message of the con doesn't entirely go away.

My personal take, encourage people who like things such as horror movies, comics, Star Trek, Star Wars, etc. to come to the event and dress how they like, but also encourage them to give something else a shot. For example "Hey, you like Tales from the Crypt, you really need to watch Pet Shop of Horrors." Little things like that. I go to ACen because I see lots of excellent cosplays be it from Anime or other forms of media, I see no problem with it. I've seen Fullmetal Alchemist and Naruto cosplayers at Wizard World and C2E2, so why can't Batman/Spider-Man/etc. characters come to ACen?

There are other convention options there that try to focus strictly more on anime but you will find some non-anime aspects to those cons I'm sure. Just my opinion though.

One more thing, I'd like to add that I'm guilty of used to having the belief you should only do anime/manga/hentai cosplays at an anime convention, but that mindset of mine is long gone. I haven't done an anime cosplay since 2004 because more people recognize the more random stuff I do like Pee-Wee Herman, Danny Phantom, Disco Stu, etc. I would like to do either an anime or even a Japanese video game character next year though!

This post has been edited by STVO: 30 April 2012 - 11:58 PM

STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#11 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11260

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:57 PM

and now it looks like it is us anime cosplayers being snickered at, if you know what I mean.

I'm not really sure where you're coming from with that at all.

I mean, I'll be honest, the focus on the rave is a bit disappointing, but more on that later. On a similar note, hearing that the Crystal Ball was essentially a mini-rave and not the formal ball it was advertised to be was sad news. I understand the AMV department unfortunately dissolved due to staff issues and they didn't have time to put together a proper show on that front--I hope and expect it will make a return next year. The events surrounding the Masquerade were unfortunate but I think they tried the best they could given the cards they were dealt. The invited guests were disappointing given it was ACen's 15th anniversary. I would say the early 2000's were the years I was most excited about the guests.

Glancing over the programming and video schedule, the vast majority of things scheduled were anime related. Looking back on all the years I've been to Anime Central and thinking way back to 1998 when the programming was all in a teeny-tiny little basement in a teeny-tiny little hotel, I just can't help but think about how far ACen has come. There are so many different options of what you can do during the day that it's insane. I love it.

Regarding the Rave, I honestly would not have noticed the huge focus on it were it not for reading these forums. The other aspects of the con had always kept me busy each year, and this year I never even heard anyone speak of it (although I didn't get out of the exhibition hall). There was a lot of talk of anime--and ponies, and Portal, and other geeky things, yes--but the focus always remained on the thing that made me love anime conventions: anime.
Visit Happy Hatpire Designs on Etsy: http://hatpire.etsy.com
Tumblr: http://hatpire.tumblr.com
Happy Hatpire Designs will be at Anime Central and Anime Midwest in 2015!

#12 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:03 AM

View PostSapphy, on 30 April 2012 - 11:57 PM, said:

I'm not really sure where you're coming from with that at all.

I mean, I'll be honest, the focus on the rave is a bit disappointing, but more on that later. On a similar note, hearing that the Crystal Ball was essentially a mini-rave and not the formal ball it was advertised to be was sad news. I understand the AMV department unfortunately dissolved due to staff issues and they didn't have time to put together a proper show on that front--I hope and expect it will make a return next year. The events surrounding the Masquerade were unfortunate but I think they tried the best they could given the cards they were dealt. The invited guests were disappointing given it was ACen's 15th anniversary. I would say the early 2000's were the years I was most excited about the guests.

Crystal Ball was pretty disappointing in how it was set-up, I'll give you that. I had fun because I was with good people though and I didn't go to much dances in high school, so this felt kind of like one that made up for it somewhat (may sound dorky/sad, but hey that's how I felt, lol). They really shouldn't have charged for the event IMO unless they got a live band or maybe got you a steak or some other fancy dinner. I did take an introductory dance lesson in my town and went to the waltz workshop to try to ball room dance as well as get some pointers. I am pretty disappointed that it wasn't really music you can do it too. Sure my date and I practiced out a little bit for the heck of it, but overall I was disappointed. Thankful I didn't spend over $200 for multiple lessons like the studio tried to offer me though. LOL
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#13 User is offline   Hello My Name Is Bob 

• Pip

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:44 AM

Some are defending the focus of the con using the argument that 'the video room still plays anime'. Don't get me wrong as that's a good thing, but how many people since 2002 or so have attended an anime convention primarily to see anime on video? Isn't that the thing you do with down time nowadays. It's worth having, but when the straw gasping goes down to them still playing anime in the oft forgotten anime viewing rooms, it's a stretch. If I really, really want anime, I can go trudge over to the dark room and sit in relative silence (unless it was the hentai block). I can do that at home with less odor thank you. It's worth having as something to do, but that shouldn't be where I HAVE to turn to find something related to anime.

And the amv staff had issues? Nobody could possibly take it over? Of course, it's not like that event was treated all that well either. I've spent the last couple years tying to find the room its in because that's the only way to see the contest. You know, most conventions, including the largest ones both East and West, put that in a main programming room once and treat it like an event worth having. If you treat your events like dirt, it's no surprise when you may have some staffing issues in time. I figure most departments care somewhat about their area and want it to succeed, but it seems like there's no interest somewhere in the hierarchy and we get the end result of the drift away from anything that is at all related to Japan/Asia.

It's not like this is the first time masquerade has had to sacrifice for the sake of another event that somehow was deemed of much greater import. I mean, should we be celebrating that it is still here? That at least the whole show wasn't cut, just the part people wanted to see. Is it permissible if that event falls apart because they inadvertently sabotaged it? Oh, but something happened cannot be the end all excuse for why some events have been consistently shafted for the past several years.

Panels are also victim to this. Sure fans create them, but I can say even if I was good at public speaking, I'd never want to present at Acen because they have shown that they don't really care about fan events. Who wants to volunteer for an event that can't give a definitive time for a panel and has had multiple cases of messing up major events as it relates to anime and manga. This is a con that gave a proverbial middle finger to its attendees as it pertains to anime/manga related events.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable considering I am not saying to get rid of any one thing entirely, but to not sacrifice events that are successful and that people enjoy for the sake of filling the con with whatever niche is popular with the management at this point. I saw three major events that have been mainstays of the convention since the beginning get mistreated and hear about some of the other ones through reading these forums. There was a time when the convention nabbed interesting guests from the Japanese side of production. All of that has been gone for years and replaced with DJs, bands, American comics, brony nonsense etc.

But I suppose I will concede that the video room has stuck to its guns. It's just not worth the price of admission on its own.

#14 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:51 AM

... if you know what I mean.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 30 April 2012 - 11:49 PM, said:

Haha, not my point.

I know.

That is, I know what you were trying to say. But what you were trying to say and what you actually said in this sentence:

the first year I came to acen I would snicker at the 2 or 3 people that were cosplaying as something not anime themed, and now it looks like it is us anime cosplayers being snickered at, if you know what I mean.

are not one and the same. The words you chose and the way you phrased this statement was purposefully acerbic, even when understood in the context of your larger point.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#15 User is offline   solanis 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 60129

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:54 AM

Please don't lump the fashion shows in with the valid complaints about the off-topicness of the raves and some other events. Fashion is an integral part of Japanese pop culture, and all the fashion panels and events were extremely popular. The indie lolita fashion show was so packed (they gave it a 150-person panel room, what a joke) that hundreds of people were turned away because the room filled in seconds. The Angelic Pretty tea party sold out in an hour. We all cried together for happiness at the opportunity to meet our idols and spend time with them. I completely agree about the raves - but not about the designers.

#16 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:14 AM

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 01 May 2012 - 12:51 AM, said:

The words you chose and the way you phrased this statement was purposefully acerbic, even when understood in the context of your larger point.

You are right and I apologize. I never meant for what I said to be mean or offensive or anything like that. I'm not trying to attack anyone here if that is how it is coming off.

#17 User is offline   flyingcabbit 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 9974

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:17 AM

I feel like I know you, or essentially I should, because you speak in apt truthiness.

And I do agree, do not lump the fashion shows.

As someone who has read a decent amount of manga titles that are fashion related I thought they where absolutely refreshing this year.
It's nice to see the art of elf-licking is making a comeback." - Fred Willard

#18 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:21 AM

Yes it is and it always will be.
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#19 User is offline   Grand Master Brief 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 19762

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:21 AM

quick fix to all of these problems. Harsh as it seems. anime only photoshoots. Brony and doctor who fan though I am, no more pony shoots, no more homestuck,no more Doctor who, no more steampunk. Panels must be somehow anime or manga related or have something to do with Japan. I have no problem with people cosplaying any of these things, just no photoshoots for them. C2E2 is like 2 weeks before hand, save those things for that, there is now a bronycon in chicago. There are plenty of other places to gather. ACen 2008 was my first ACen and I have to say that this one was the best one since them but I was disapointed that anime and manga seemed to fall out of the spotlight that it rightfully belongs in.
COSPLAYS
Done at ACen - L Lawliet(2008), Tamaki Suou(2008), Dead Bones Brook(2009-2010), Briefers Rocks(2011-2012), Scott Pilgrim(2011), Todd Ingram(2012)
Done at AMKE - Dead Bones Brook(2010), Briefers Rocks(2011), Hirano Kohta(2013)
Other Cosplays - Bandit Keith(KitsuneKon 2013)
Upcoming - Laharl, Adult Negi Springfield, Ash Ketchum, Yami Yugi, Soul Eater Evans, Death the Kid
Subscribe to my youtube channel
Follow me on twitter @speedlemon
Add me on XBOX 360 - Sp33dl3m0n

#20 User is offline   Grand Master Brief 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 19762

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:30 AM

View PostAlkaren Hyralt, on 01 May 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

Yes it is and it always will be.

if only it were that simple T^T
COSPLAYS
Done at ACen - L Lawliet(2008), Tamaki Suou(2008), Dead Bones Brook(2009-2010), Briefers Rocks(2011-2012), Scott Pilgrim(2011), Todd Ingram(2012)
Done at AMKE - Dead Bones Brook(2010), Briefers Rocks(2011), Hirano Kohta(2013)
Other Cosplays - Bandit Keith(KitsuneKon 2013)
Upcoming - Laharl, Adult Negi Springfield, Ash Ketchum, Yami Yugi, Soul Eater Evans, Death the Kid
Subscribe to my youtube channel
Follow me on twitter @speedlemon
Add me on XBOX 360 - Sp33dl3m0n

#21 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:44 AM

View Postsolanis, on 01 May 2012 - 12:54 AM, said:

Please don't lump the fashion shows in with the valid complaints about the off-topicness of the raves and some other events. Fashion is an integral part of Japanese pop culture, and all the fashion panels and events were extremely popular. The indie lolita fashion show was so packed (they gave it a 150-person panel room, what a joke) that hundreds of people were turned away because the room filled in seconds. The Angelic Pretty tea party sold out in an hour. We all cried together for happiness at the opportunity to meet our idols and spend time with them. I completely agree about the raves - but not about the designers.

I'm sorry but the amount of fashion shows was insane.
It made me wonder how the hell acen manages to land famous lolita designers and not a single japanese industry guest.
And it sold out in an hour because lolita that may not normally go to the con got word of it on livejournal.
The soapbubble has nothing to do with Anime ( besides Amaya last year) but the Hardcore has artists from japan and makes the same, if not more sense than the lolita designers.

Alk, a con that cuts cosplay skits in favor of a dance that has turned into something vile (gogo dancer, drug use, underage sex vile) may be leaning towards not being an anime convention anymore. Just saying.

I think some of the claims that cosplay changing directs influencing it is poppycock. Cosplay has always been a little obscure. I didn't see people giggling at well done American based costumes years ago and I don't see people giggling at anime cosplayers either. (unless they are poorly done and said giggler has no soul)
Am I a little disturbed at the amont of Homestuck ? Yes. but at the same time I was giddy about the amount of other batman villains.

But back to the main argument, Acen is an anime convention still. There are still voice actors ( albeit American) and companies really trying to make an impact by reaching out to the fans at events like acen.
There will always be guests that have nothing to do with anime or japan. Like Eyeshine. Nothing. Go ahead and argue but just because it is a voice actor's band does not mean they have any belonging at a con. Will that make it less of an anime convention? yes. But if there is still a back bone of anime then it is still an anime con.
2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Honoka-Dead or Alive Last Roumd
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#22 User is offline   ATICE 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58973

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:07 AM

View PostGrand Master Brief, on 01 May 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

quick fix to all of these problems. Harsh as it seems. anime only photoshoots. Brony and doctor who fan though I am, no more pony shoots, no more homestuck,no more Doctor who, no more steampunk.

There's one problem with your "quick fix". Yeah... comic cons don't have cosplay photoshoots. Have you even been to one? LOL! Most of them don't even have official forums to go, you have to resort to facebook or something.
There will always be room for non-anime photoshoots at anime cons, but I would definitely agree that the PANELS should stay anime-related. Also, the people hosting the panels need to take a test or something about information... I went to a pokemon panel out of randomness saturday night, and the guy took like 10 minutes to answer one whole question about a voice actor. The panel was titled something like "Everything you need to know about Pokemon"... Idk. I didn't stay to that one for very long for obvious reasons.

This post has been edited by ATICE: 01 May 2012 - 02:07 AM

#23 User is offline   Jeff 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 29995

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:21 AM

I am of the opinion that there should be only a single rave. The crowd these things tend to draw in is not very wholesome for what you've always referred to as a family friendly convention.
Love, Peace, & Video Games

#24 User is offline   magicreaver 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 3343

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:37 AM

The Dances don't have a place at an anime con; at least not any more. A few years ago when I first started going to the dances, they were playing music like Anime themes and J-pop/rock remixs. Back then they felt like they belonged at an anime con, but thats not what I hear now. I enjoy dancing, and will continue to go to them as long as acen offers them, but they have taken on a life of their own, and no longer seem like something for Acen, maybe they should be a seperate event entirely?

As far as the fasion shows, they do belong at Acen, but not at the cost of actual industry guests. Did we really need 2 different designers? One would still be great to have and the extra flight from Japan could have been given to a mangaka. This is seconded for the concerts. As a fan of LM.C, they really have no conection to anime. I was happy I got to actually hear a group I like live, but its not the same as when Acen got High and Mighty color at the time their Bleach themes were being heard everyweek, or when you got the Pillows, while FLCL was Airing on cartoon network.

As far as restricting panels, I like the idea but that is easier said then done. I feel like videogame panels (at least Japan originated series) do feel appropriate. As far as comics go, not as much, yet there is an japanese anime for Wolverine, Iron Man, and even X-men, so where do you draw the line?

#25 User is offline   Nikku 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61480

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:54 AM

I'm 50/50 on this thread. I've noticed it was being less anime based and more..shall we just call it (chicago con" or something?) BUT thats not a bad thing. The need for it to be pure anime is both a hipster thing and a bit "in my day con's only *insert line*" I'm sure your the same people who whined an complained when all the naruto cosplayers swarmed acen " i didn't wanta come to narutocon!" But i do have to agree. The rave to me is a waste, and a bit mislabled being "the soap bubble" as they don't DO THAT. yet i digress before i rage. Rave shouldn't be that "omg i have to do this or else" even for the con. 3 years in a row now i've watched from the hotel window and saw the line wrap around the street and i'd go "oh it must be 4 pm. the rave line has started"

As for the "its not anime anymore" I know people who've been to acen for 4 year's and look at me odd when i say "anime central" It's simply ACEN to them. So drop your hipster purist rage about how it's not how it used to be. A con of this size is going to grow..change and mutate. My friend went as desert punk this year, and a steam punk guy. Should he not be allowed because he cosplayed something NONE anime? Are you going to be a con nazi and start walking around demanding fan purity or face the wrath of your "not coming back" I loved this year, but i felt an odd vibe. Most people who've been going should have felt it too. Like watching a movie that's just 1 second out of sync. Hard to notice the lips moving oddly till you really stare at it. Something was just off. I'm sure part of it was the weather and the date being pushed up as it was. But, something else. Maybe it was people who felt insulted it wasn't the con they wanted. Not enough anime, or to much of this or that that angers them. You gotta grow and adapt. This event isn't going to stay stagnent and stay pure anime. Hell i know people who loved seeing none anime stuff. ACen got my friend into steam punk. Another got to learn about Dr.who from it. IF nothing else FINE!. Lets drop the pretense and make anime central..ACEN. and leave it at that. the best con in the chicagoland area.

Just demanding it be pure anime will and i promise, can kill off a con as not (shocker) everyone likes anime or japanese stuff in general. I don't want acen to turn into comic con or c2e2. those kind of..bleh to me. Acen had that mix that appealed. Got my otaku on while still going "ohhh battletech"
ACen 2016 cosplays Sith Lord (maybe?) 2 ton 21, Monarch chief Henchman. Minuteman General (fallout4) Sans(?) (undertale)

#26 User is offline   Tombolo 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 57244

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:47 AM

I disagree with people wanting to shunt out American stuff in various capacities. There just so happens to be a lot of overlap between Homestuck/Who/Pony and anime fandoms. If people like both, why not? It's not like they're taking up a majority of the shoots or panels or anything. Between those three things, they had, what? Five shoots and a couple panels? I really don't think that's enough to start protesting the cancer that is killing ACEN or anything. Maybe they make up a high percentage of cosplayers, but....so what? Is it really hurting anybody's con experience if I throw a Rainbow Dash in with my other cosplays?

Yes, there are other cons, but not everybody has the time or the money for them. Should other stuff be the FOCUS? No. Should it be allowed? Yes.
derp

#27 User is offline   Shinamura 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 58903

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:01 AM

Yes... lets dictate what people wear to the convention tell them we won't allow group photos because It isn't anime related.. Makes perfect sense.
"Whats the point of having boobs if I dont use them to my advantage?"

-a random conversation at acen 2010.

#28 User is offline   MH121 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 62218

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:45 AM

Personally, I think an anime con should not be restricted to just anime stuff. But, if a conflict does arise, events/things that are more closely related to anime/manga genre should take precedent over the non-related ones.

#29 User is offline   lainee 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61683

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:50 AM

View Postsolanis, on 01 May 2012 - 12:54 AM, said:

This^

#30 User is offline   Hello My Name Is Bob 

• Pip

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:50 AM

View PostNikku, on 01 May 2012 - 05:54 AM, said:

I'm 50/50 on this thread. I've noticed it was being less anime based and more..shall we just call it (chicago con" or something?) BUT thats not a bad thing. The need for it to be pure anime is both a hipster thing and a bit "in my day con's only *insert line*" I'm sure your the same people who whined an complained when all the naruto cosplayers swarmed acen " i didn't wanta come to narutocon!" But i do have to agree. The rave to me is a waste, and a bit mislabled being "the soap bubble" as they don't DO THAT. yet i digress before i rage. Rave shouldn't be that "omg i have to do this or else" even for the con. 3 years in a row now i've watched from the hotel window and saw the line wrap around the street and i'd go "oh it must be 4 pm. the rave line has started"

I'm a hipster now? Better go tell the wife so she can shrink my jeans. As I keep saying, I embrace adding new, RELEVANT things. Trends come and go. Even some degree of the off topic was fine (Tabletop gaming, etc), but I am not so old and crotchety that I am complaining about the emergence of popular shows. The exception was when Hetalia hit a couple years back, but that had more to do with the screaming girls than the swarms.

As for the "its not anime anymore" I know people who've been to acen for 4 year's and look at me odd when i say "anime central" It's simply ACEN to them. So drop your hipster purist rage about how it's not how it used to be. A con of this size is going to grow..change and mutate. My friend went as desert punk this year, and a steam punk guy. Should he not be allowed because he cosplayed something NONE anime? Are you going to be a con nazi and start walking around demanding fan purity or face the wrath of your "not coming back" I loved this year, but i felt an odd vibe. Most people who've been going should have felt it too. Like watching a movie that's just 1 second out of sync. Hard to notice the lips moving oddly till you really stare at it. Something was just off. I'm sure part of it was the weather and the date being pushed up as it was. But, something else. Maybe it was people who felt insulted it wasn't the con they wanted. Not enough anime, or to much of this or that that angers them. You gotta grow and adapt. This event isn't going to stay stagnent and stay pure anime. Hell i know people who loved seeing none anime stuff. ACen got my friend into steam punk. Another got to learn about Dr.who from it. IF nothing else FINE!. Lets drop the pretense and make anime central..ACEN. and leave it at that. the best con in the chicagoland area.

Who in the world is saying to dictate what people wear? I don't even disagree with the no photoshoots as those are very much a side things. Again, my point is that the con has routinely been taking away from the fans and their contributions to the event. I just have a problem when the official programming and guest lists drifting so far away I have to wonder if there is some self-hating Otaku making some major decisions up top. It used to be an anime convention with some other things to do while today it's everything but.

Just demanding it be pure anime will and i promise, can kill off a con as not (shocker) everyone likes anime or japanese stuff in general. I don't want acen to turn into comic con or c2e2. those kind of..bleh to me. Acen had that mix that appealed. Got my otaku on while still going "ohhh battletech"

No, not everyone is into anime or Japanese stuff. Great. There're plenty of events for general geek culture. If someone is not at all into anime, there has never been a shortage of things to do. Card games and tournaments, video games etc. have always had its place and it offered variety. Now, when the best defense to it still being an anime convention is the video rooms, I have some slight issues with the dergee of mixing. If you have no interest in anything related to anime/Japan, I am not sure why you'd come to an anime convention.

And to those speaking of the fashion shows. Not once did I suggest getting rid of all fashion shows. It's quantity that is a problem. Lolita fashion is one of those things that you need to be young and female to really enjoy. I get that and am glad you enjoyed it. Now, is there a reason to get three different designers with their own show taking up a good chunk of time in main programming when there's a ton of people who just don't care. It's all about balance. There is only so much time for major events in big rooms. That means there needs to be discussion of how much time any given thing should take. When the space gets 3 fashion shows, two raves and 5 concerts while the masquerade gets truncated, it seems that there is a bad lack of discipline in providing for the fans of other aspects of the on topic stuff.

Acen is going the route of C2E2 and ComicCon very quickly. Just the later two are far better organized and have enough variety to appeal to a lot of nerddoms. Acen isn't really even doing that all that well considering where the major event focus is.

And that is what I feel Acen has become: a less sanitary, haphazard version of the general geek cons.

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users