Anime Central Forums: A little disappointed but yet hopeful? - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

A little disappointed but yet hopeful?

#1 User is offline   Chiya 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 7117

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

Let me just say that I do plan on going back to Acen next year and am already pre-registered. I look forward to Acen every year and will still look forward to it. I noticed this year that a lot of things were going wrong and it seemed like a lot of it was going downhill. I have quite a few friends in staff and I felt super bad for them. The lines were super long and I was really confused why Anime Hell was moved to a smaller room with only one screen in it, cause you could barely see it. I did get confused quite a bit with all the changes and moving people other places, even in the dealer/artist area. The changes should have been noted on the pamphlet with the rest of the changes. The guidebook was nice idea and I downloaded it myself, but my smartphone hated it because it was a HUGE app so I had to delete it and it went on my kindle. Also I went to a panel on Saturday, my first time going to a panel cause I'm usually too busy to go to any, and walked in to find out that the panelists decided not to show up. That was disappointing, then seeing a staff member walk in and saying that they're gonna close it and cancel it when the people who decided to attend it decided to take over so we at least had a panel. But my major issue is in regards to the hotel we stayed at. It was very upsetting to find out right as I was checking in that there is suddenly a "incident charge" being added to the room, and then being told "but you'll get it back when you check out". When I checked out, I DID NOT get it back. The hotel claimed that them trying to charge my card was an incident, when I was told that an incident was if you used the internet, rented a movie, etc. I was not aware of the extra charge being put on us for staying at the hotel. It wasn't on my confirmation and it seemed like to me that they were trying to get extra money out of us attendees. And the embassy suites was not the only hotel that did that, so did the aloft. What is going on with this? As attendees we budget our money, and some of us aren't lucky enough to have that extra to give out. I ended up screwed shopping wise because of the extra(I mean "incident")charge.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

#2 User is offline   IRT- Outlaw 

• IRT Operative
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 28303

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

I understand how frustrating that must be and I appoligize for your poor experience at the con. Yet as a former hyatt employee I know that incidentals fee charges can be on for up to a week before they take it off so it should be taken off soon because a week was like the worse case scenario ya know? But I'm glad your coming back I hope next year will be better ^^

~Outlaw
IRT Operative callsign: Outlaw
IRT night shift 2010-2012

Acen 2013 Cant wait!
It was a pleasure to work with you all : D

#3 User is offline   Chiya 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

View PostIRT- Outlaw, on 30 April 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

I understand how frustrating that must be and I appoligize for your poor experience at the con. Yet as a former hyatt employee I know that incidentals fee charges can be on for up to a week before they take it off so it should be taken off soon because a week was like the worse case scenario ya know? But I'm glad your coming back I hope next year will be better ^^

~Outlaw

I stayed at the Embassy Suites and I won't get it back because I had to pay it in cash, which made it even harder to buy things after budgeting my money. I know that hotels worry about getting paid for the extra charges, but they should have informed the people about it beforehand and not dropped it on them. It wasn't even stated anywhere on my confirmation email. They gave me a receipt for the incident charge payment, but when I looked at it all it said was "cash", not what it was for at all. I hope next year will be better as well.

#4 User is offline   IRT- Outlaw 

• IRT Operative
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 28303

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

I never heard them accept Incidentals in cash before, but this is just me saying I'd call their corporate and find out.
IRT Operative callsign: Outlaw
IRT night shift 2010-2012

Acen 2013 Cant wait!
It was a pleasure to work with you all : D

#5 User is offline   Chiya 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

View PostIRT- Outlaw, on 30 April 2012 - 04:19 PM, said:

I never heard them accept Incidentals in cash before, but this is just me saying I'd call their corporate and find out.

I plan on calling if I have to. I was told when we checked out that I couldn't get the incidental back because they had to authorize my card, because the lady who checked us in was charging us more than what the bill on my paper was for. Which I then had to argue with her that she was overcharging me, and that's where the whole "incidental fee" started. Which I let them know that I was upset at that because it wasn't stated and they did not inform me about it till I checked in. Then when I checked out, the guy told me that I won't get it back because them authorizing my card is an incidental, but they subtracted the 75 incidental from the total of the bill and will be charging me less. But I kept telling him that I checked my account just a little while ago and it said that a 560 charge was pending (which would be the full amount for the hotel). So currently all I can do is keep an eye on my account and see what posts, if its the regular total...then I'm contacting them and complaining and demanding my money back. But I was afraid of this happening. I have NEVER been charged an incidental fee. This is the first year. It really made me angry right when we got there. The lady who checked us in told me that they can charge it on another card or take cash. But I figured to post about it here in case other people had the same problem, and also if the staff members were unaware of the additional charges that they were giving the attendees since they discuss rates with the hotels directly. The aloft charged my friends 100, and it wasn't posted on their confirmation email either. They had to find out when they got there as well.

#6 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

I'm going to move this over to the hotel part of the boards, since this is about hotel problems.

That does sound a bit unusual. Any time I've stayed in a hotel they do authorize a small extra charge that takes up credit on your card, but then it never fully posts to the card, just shows as a "pending charge" for a few days to a week. But you SHOULD get it back. I do suggest calling the hotel & ask to speak to a manager and if need be, keep demanding to be moved up the food chain.

Good luck to you!
Event Accessibility Services staff for ACen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Anime Milwaukee 2017: Philip (Kamen Rider W), Karma (Assassination Classroom)
C2E2 2017: Philip (Kamen Rider W), Hiiro Kagami (Kamen Rider Brave), possibly Ghostbuster (if I have my panel), maybe Neptune (RWBY)
ACen 2017: Philip (Kamen Rider W), Hiiro Kagami (Kamen Rider Brave), Gou Shijima (Kamen Rider Mach), Karma (Assassination Classroom), Neptune (RWBY)
Definite 2017 cons (no cosplay plans set as of yet): Uchi-con, NWI Comic Con

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My cosplay / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#7 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 4043

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

I've had to tell them "I do NOT want incidentals on my card. I do not have a card FOR incidentals. Please do not allow any incidentals on my room." This means that I can't charge room service, internet, etc to my room bill (which I never do) and I have not had a problem politely but firmly stating this at check in. That includes the ES, and includes other hotels for various events. If I get room service for some reason, I pay cash when it's dropped off.

It's meant to protect them from charges they can't get back. I have not heard of this taken as cash either and would DEFINITELY follow up on that to get the straight answer. It's possible they'll just refund your card for that amount still if you used one at reservation.
2013 will be my 11th year at ACen! Staff for '09/'10/'11/'12/'13
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.
Visit the blog for latest news and contests! Disjointed Images Blog
100% guarantee on buttons. If it breaks, come see me for a FREE replacement.

#8 User is offline   sisterdiscord 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 1559

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:29 PM

View Postfrzndaqiri, on 08 May 2012 - 07:48 PM, said:

I've had to tell them "I do NOT want incidentals on my card. I do not have a card FOR incidentals. Please do not allow any incidentals on my room." This means that I can't charge room service, internet, etc to my room bill (which I never do) and I have not had a problem politely but firmly stating this at check in. That includes the ES, and includes other hotels for various events. If I get room service for some reason, I pay cash when it's dropped off.

It's meant to protect them from charges they can't get back. I have not heard of this taken as cash either and would DEFINITELY follow up on that to get the straight answer. It's possible they'll just refund your card for that amount still if you used one at reservation.

Echoes Frzndaqiri!

"Please turn off incidentals" is an important phrase when traveling to cons on a budget. Many hotels will, but it's not their standard, so you have to ask, and often some of the front line staff are new enough that they haven't encountered that type of request often. Best bet is to reach out to the hotel you're staying at beforehand, ask them for a copy of their policy on such things if it's available on the web or via email. Find out their deposit policies if you're paying cash, which may be different than their policies with cards, and ALWAYS plan that if you're using an ATM card there will be charges that linger on your card for a week, possibly more. If they release it early- great. If not, plan for the worst so you're not left high and dry.

If they have a web available copy of the policy, or you get an email of it, print it and bring it along! Backup and preparation help you.
This is my signature. It is only one line.

#9 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

I'm not sure if this helps, but ask questions when you check in at the future.

They have been doing this charge for a while with me; the past two years I think. They took out like 70-80 dollars and then refunded it back. It took about 3-7 days for it to go back into my account. From what the Embassy told me, all hotels are doing this, including the Hyatt, and that if I paid with cash they wouldn't do this.

I wish I got down the person's name who said this, because it seems to be in your case this isn't true >.<
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users