• This topic is locked

At-Con Volunteer (Gopher) Perks

#1 User is offline   sisterdiscord 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 1559

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

You can go to Reagan Room in the Hyatt and Sign Up in person. You will need an ID, and be at least 18 years old as of con.
If you have any more questions, please feel free to e-mail: Volunteers-Departmenthead@ACEN.ORG

View PostZeth, on 12 August 2011 - 03:45 PM, said:

Got free time during the con and want to help out? Volunteering can use you! We always need people to help out with various things around the convention. Whether you do it for the free crash space, comped badge, or just to give back to the con that you love so much, we'll always appreciate you.

Benefits to volunteering include but are not limited to:

Free crash space- if you're 18 or older, work 6 hours per day, get a free place to sleep that night. This only applies to each specific person who works these hours, as we have limited space. You need to work the 6 hours each day that you'll want to use the room.
Rollover badge- work 16 hours total, get a free badge next year!!
LOVE AND ADORATION from DESPERATE STAFFERS who need YOUR HEROICALLY PROVIDED AID- <3 <3 <3

Also, a lot of staff starts out through volunteering- that's what I did! Get to know us and let us get to know you this way!

(sign-up sheet link removed as we'll be using a new sheet this next year) This form will let you let us know if you have any particular things you can do in particular- heavy lifting, working with tech stuff, etc.

Here are the official rules! READ THESE!

VOLUNTEERS RULES:

1. Keep the same time card for the whole day. DO NOT lose it.
2. Keep the same time card for the whole day. DO NOT lose it.
3. Wear your (ACen Issued) Badge when you are working. –No Exceptions–
4. Turn each Time Card in at the end of the day.
5. Always have an Authorized Staffer sign off on your Time Card.
6. Without a signature the time will not be credited to you.
7. If you do not turn in your Time Card with authorized signatures, your worked time will not count.
8. Must be at least 18 to be a Volunteer. You must show I.D. for proof of age. -No Exceptions-
9. Doing work for an Exhibitor will not count towards your Volunteer Time.

Do Not:
Use Registration Computers. (You are not allowed)
Take a Radio of any kind. (You have not been through I.R.T. Training)
Wear a (Black) Vest from the I.R.T. Department. (You have not been through I.R.T. Training)
Leave the convention grounds for a job. (A Staffer should be doing this, not you)
Show-up in Cosplay if you expect to do Volunteer Work.

Do:
Visit the Volunteers Office as much as you like for Fun –or- while looking/waiting for work.
Make time for Sleep. (Do Not sleep in the Lobby, if you need Crash Space work 6 hours)
Make time to Eat. (We do not feed you. This is your responsibility.)
Use the Google Voice Number, if you marked yes on the sign up form. A text can be sent to you when work is available. You can also text the number to find out if a Volunteer is needed.
HAVE FUN @ ACEN! = ) <(<) ~ * ~ <( )> ~ * ~ (>)>

If you think you are unable to do a job, say so. You do not have to do any job you do not think
you're capable of doing.
Notify someone so a replacement can be sent in your place.
Do not abandon your post. If you need a replacement, find someone with a radio to notify the Volunteers Department so a replacement can be sent.
If you do not know where a location/job is, ASK. We would rather have you know where you are going than have you be lost.

ABSOLUTELY NO:
DRUGS/ALCOHOL/WEAPONS OF ANY KIND AT ANY TIME.
In Any Crash Space Room. What-So-Ever. This includes any and all weapons and/or replicas purchased from an Exhibitor.
(If I.R.T. would have a problem with the item in question, Volunteers has a problem with it.)
In order to acquire Crash Space you must put in 6 hours per day for each night you need.
Respect other people’s property as you would want yours respected in return. We are not
responsible for lost or stolen items. Any items you leave unattended in the room,
you do so at your own risk.
ONLY VOLUNTEERS are allowed in Crash Space Rooms. No Friends who are Not Volunteers in
Volunteers Crash Space.
You Must Leave an I.D. If you take a Room Key. (Only you can be the one to return a key for your I.D.)
Crash Space Rooms are and will be inspected multiple times daily.

That said....any questions?

This is my signature. It is only one line.

#2 User is offline   Spydie 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 4073

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:43 AM

How would I go about becoming a volunteer for the con? I've made a last minute decision to attend and would love to earn my badge/crash space and make new friends while helping the con.
I am made of awesome: pure, unfiltered awesome.

#3 User is offline   sisterdiscord 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

View PostSpydie, on 22 April 2012 - 02:43 AM, said:

How would I go about becoming a volunteer for the con? I've made a last minute decision to attend and would love to earn my badge/crash space and make new friends while helping the con.

You can go to Reagan Room in the Hyatt and Sign Up in person. You will need an ID, and be at least 18 years old as of con.
If you have any more questions, please feel free to e-mail: Volunteers-Departmenthead@ACEN.ORG

#4 User is offline   Angel 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 9337

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

View Postsisterdiscord, on 22 April 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

Hello Set Up Team!

IF you are showing up Wed. to help set up, please e-mail: Volunteers-departmenthead@acen.org with the following information:

*What time you will be showing up on Wed.
*Will you / Will you not need crash space on Wed. Night.

EVERYONE:

There are a few changes to the original plan. I will not be on site untill (the earliest) 6pm. IF you show up to help out before this time please

report to Con Ops Room - La Guardia in the Hyatt.

Wed. and only Wed. we will be working out of Dulles in the Hyatt. Starting Thursday we will be working out of Reagan Room as original

planned.

*Important Notice*
If you are earlier and reporting to Con Ops for directions, it is up to you to bring your own sheet of paper and pen to keep on your person to

have your own time card to keep track of your hours untill Volunteers Department arrives on site.
It is not up to Con Ops to provide you with this.
Remember: This sheet needs to include the following:
*The Department you are helping
*The time you started helping.
*The signature of the staffer you are helping.
*The time you finished helping.
*The signature of the staffer who can sign off on what time you finished helping.

This sheet is VERY IMPORTANT.

I will need this sheet Wed night or Thursday morning. THESE HOURS WILL NOT COUNT IF they do not get turned in.
*They must be signed by a staffer. THANKS!

Can't wait to meet all of you at Acen! Have Fun! = ) And thanks for helping!

1. Keep the same time card for the whole day. DO NOT lose it.
2. Keep the same time card for the whole day. DO NOT lose it.
3. Wear your (ACen Issued) Badge when you are working. –No Exceptions–
4. Turn each Time Card in at the end of the day.
5. Always have an Authorized Staffer sign off on your Time Card.
6. Without a signature the time will not be credited to you.
7. If you do not turn in your Time Card with authorized signatures, your worked time will not count.
8. Must be at least 18 to be a Volunteer. You must show I.D. for proof of age. -No Exceptions-
9. Doing work for an Exhibitor will not count towards your Volunteer Time.

Do Not:
● Use Registration Computers. (You are not allowed)
● Take a Radio of any kind. (You have not been through I.R.T. Training)
● Wear a (Black) Vest from the I.R.T. Department. (You have not been through I.R.T. Training)
● Leave the convention grounds for a job. (A Staffer should be doing this, not you)
● Show-up in Cosplay if you expect to do Volunteer Work.

Do:
● Visit the Volunteers Office as much as you like for Fun –or- while looking/waiting for work.
● Make time for Sleep. (Do Not sleep in the Lobby, if you need Crash Space work 6 hours)
● Make time to Eat. (We do not feed you. This is your responsibility.)
● Use the Google Voice Number, if you marked yes on the sign up form. A text can be sent to you when work is available. You can also text the number to find out if a Volunteer is needed.
HAVE FUN @ ACEN! = ) <(^_^<) ~ * ~ <( ^_^ )> ~ * ~ (>^_^)>

If you think you are unable to do a job, say so. You do not have to do any job you do not think
your capable of doing.
Notify someone so a replacement can be sent in your place.
Do not abandon your post. If you need a replacement, find someone with a radio to notify the Volunteers Department so a replacement can be sent.
If you do not know where a location/job is, ASK. We would rather have you know where you are going than have you be lost.

ABSOLUTELY NO:
DRUGS/ALCOHOL/WEAPONS OF ANY KIND AT ANY TIME.
In Any Crash Space Room. What-So-Ever. This includes any and all weapons and/or replicas purchased from an Exhibitor.
(If I.R.T. would have a problem with the item in question, Volunteers has a problem with it.)
In order to acquire Crash Space you must put in 6 hours per day for each night you need.
Respect other people’s property as you would want yours respected in return. We are not
responsible for lost or stolen items. Any items you leave unattended in the room,
you do so at your own risk.
ONLY VOLUNTEERS are allowed in Crash Space Rooms. No Friends who are Not Volunteers in
Volunteers Crash Space.
You Must Leave an I.D. If you take a Room Key. (Only you can be the one to return a key for your I.D.)
Crash Space Rooms are and will be inspected multiple times daily.
HI!
If you have any Questions feel free to: E-mail: Me! Angel = ) Volunteers DH Click on This Link HERE
NEW RULES:16 Hours = Roll Over Badge for Next Year (You Can NOT give this to a friend)
6 Hours Each Day, for Crash Space that Night.
First come, Fist serve. Crash Space is NOT Guaranteed.
You must be at least 18 to become a Volunteer & to qualify for Crash Space. ID Required.
Thanks for all your help in advance! And if you've done this once already, can't wait to see you again this year!
If you only want to work Before & After Con: Sign Up for The Set-Up/Tear-Down Team!

#5 User is offline   NINA MUSTANG 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 24380

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

does anyone know of anmyone who runs the panels at ACEN?if i can get there i would lobve to volunteer at one of the panels,or even be on a panel.
GENERAL NINA MUSTANG

#6 User is offline   sailormoon846212 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 54503

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

Do you guys need help volunteer work tonight? The earliest I can be there is 6-7pm. Also, how long does volunteer work go until, is it an all night thing? I would love a place to crash (is that a hotel room)? Also say I want to work for badge next year and crash space, can I get both with combined hours? Like do you work 16 hours total, would that include badge and place to crash?

Also, if I would like to voluntter friday instead, how early can I show up? I would like a place to crash for that night instead of paying for a hotel room on my own, is that possible if I work the full 6 hours? And the crash space, would that be shared someone or do you get a room by yourself?

This post has been edited by sailormoon846212: 26 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

#7 User is offline   sisterdiscord 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

View PostNINA MUSTANG, on 25 April 2012 - 03:59 PM, said:

does anyone know of anmyone who runs the panels at ACEN?if i can get there i would lobve to volunteer at one of the panels,or even be on a panel.

You can reach Chelsea from panels at panels(at) acen.org

#8 User is offline   Angel 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

Hey Rosa, is there a way to retire this thread and the the thread for set-up Tear-down team? And we can start new ones for the next year? Let me know = )
HI!
If you have any Questions feel free to: E-mail: Me! Angel = ) Volunteers DH Click on This Link HERE
NEW RULES:16 Hours = Roll Over Badge for Next Year (You Can NOT give this to a friend)
You must be at least 18 to become a Volunteer & to qualify for Crash Space. ID Required.
Thanks for all your help in advance! And if you've done this once already, can't wait to see you again this year!
If you only want to work Before & After Con: Sign Up for The Set-Up/Tear-Down Team!

#9 User is offline   Angel 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

*HI Everyone! = )

IF you came out and helped this past year, or showed up and got pulled to become a Staffer ;-) Thank You! It was a great year! And I can't wait for next year!!! You guys are all so wonderful!!!!! = )
HI!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users