• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

question about my gun

#1 User is offline   captainmcsquicky 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61807

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

Hello to all, my name is Nicholas and i have a question regarding this airsoft gun i have coming soon and i was wondering if this would be ok because i will be cosplaying as Ghost from call of duty modern warfare 2

Here is the gun i ordered
http://www.airsoftme...g-f6613-tan.htm

now iv done alot of research on this gun,it has a bright orange tip, the body itself is made out of ABS plastic,however the RIS (rail interface system) is metal..so is the barrel and the gear box,,i really dont wanna remove the gear box and i planned on taking it without the battery anyway but my question is if i replaced the barrel with a plastic one..take out the barrel inside and take off the RIS (on the sides and bottom but is there a way to cover the top so i need help on that one :(), leave the mag out. would that be ok to pass?
Cosplays of ACen 2012
Ghost - Call of duty modern warfare 2- 100%
Umbrella Security Service = 40%
Sith lord = 35%

#2 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

Question... in the rules about prop weapons does it say it has to be all plastic? I don't remember reading that.

From what I remember you have to have an orange tip, and no ammo in the magazine. I just left my mag out to be on the safe side so any IRT of staff member could see it was empty.
Attending since 2005 • Artist Alley 2011-2016
Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#3 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

This is from the rules page:

A prop is unacceptable if it:
  • Is a real firearm, or realistic replica firearm.
~ Gun props must have a blaze orange tip, and are required to be sufficiently unrealistic that a person must be able to tell that the prop is not real from across a room.(Transparent, flat image on cardboard, futuristic/unrealistic, blue rubber training props etc.)

• Is fire-able. Fireable missiles/projectiles may not be carried on your person. Projectile firing toys must be unloaded. Bows and crossbows must be unstrung or strung with loose material like yarn.
  • Has a laser dot/laser pointer.

#4 User is offline   captainmcsquicky 

• Pip

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

i just wanted to be on the safe side because this is the first time im bringing an airsoft gun to a con and i dont want to get in trouble...never hurts to be too careful :D
Cosplays of ACen 2012
Sith lord = 35%

#5 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

It is sorta realistic looking, but from a distance you can see the blaze orange tip. Just make sure you don't cover up that orange tip and you should be okay. I also would take the mag out to be safe

#6 User is offline   captainmcsquicky 

• Pip

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

i planned onto and i wont, that blazing orange tip isnt hard to miss, tips pretty big if you ask me, originally i thought about bringing my AK but its full metal (both interior and Exterior) so thats a big N.O... so i decided to order this instead :D thanks for the help
Cosplays of ACen 2012
Sith lord = 35%

#7 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:15 AM

I would strongly suggest waiting for actual staff to answer your post inquiry, and for others to not comment unless they are staff as guns are a serious issue, and anything but an official answer can spread confusion and misinformation, especially among those who are not familiar with convention policies or are new. To facilitate a faster response, I would suggest posting your question -> here <- and waiting for IRT to answer you officially. In the meantime I am currently notifying IRT of this thread and requesting they reply asap.

For what it is worth, in the meantime, a copy-paste of that thread's/the con's prop policy checklist, with applicable content made red:

View PostTheRabbi, on 28 April 2011 - 01:10 PM, said:

Hello, forumites! It's time, once again, for me to post the Costume & Prop Rules Checklist. Just like in past years, this is the exact same checklist that we give our ops to judge your props, and it's an easy way to double-check if your prop fits within the rules of Anime Central.

As always, if you have any questions about props, post them in the forums; do not PM me (or anyone else) personally. That way, everyone can see and benefit from the answer.

The Prop Acceptability Checklist
If you can answer yes to any of the following questions, the prop is not allowed.
  • Is the prop longer than the congoer's height when carried, if the congoer is at least 4 feet tall?
  • Is the prop longer than 4 feet when carried, if the congoer is less than 4 feet tall?
  • Is the prop made of live steel?
  • Is the prop a real firearm?
  • Is the prop insufficiently distinguishable from a real firearm?
  • If the prop is a gun-like prop, does it lack an orange tip?
  • If the prop is an airsoft weapon, is it not disabled and unloaded?
  • If the prop is an airsoft weapon, is it a color that real firearms are?
  • Are there projectiles loaded or nocked into the prop or easily accessible on the prop's carrier?
  • If the prop is a water gun, is there water in the reservoir?
  • If the prop is a bow or other stringed weapon, is it tightly strung?
  • Are there any loose arrows or bolts with the costume or prop?
  • If the prop is a sword-like prop, is it being carried in a dangerous manner?

The Costume Acceptability Checklist
If you can answer yes to any of the following questions, the costume is not allowed.
  • Does the costume have dangerous protrusions?
  • Does the costume break the 6-inch zone?
  • Does the costume severely obstruct mobility or line-of-sight for the wearer?
  • Does the costume violate local decency laws?
  • Does the costume have offensive speech in any language on it?
  • Is the congoer wearing or holding a sign that is not part of the costume?

There you go. The rules, of course, are accessible around the forums and on ACen's homepage. They will also be in the program book at con. But now, you know what we IRT ops are looking at to judge your costumes. I hope you find it helpful - or at least enlightening.

Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#8 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:51 AM

And here I was just thinking last night "man, it's bern a while since we got a prop question...." :)

Hmmm. Even though it has the orange tip, it is based (color- and design-wise) on the M4...I know most of them are entirely black, but I know there are some black and tan variants as well.

I hate saying no to this, especially since Ghost is one of my favorite characters. The one saving grace is that the tan part looks so plasticy it could pass for fake...but it's the black body I'm worried about. I'm fairly sure that one is going to be a no.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#9 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:54 AM

Why aren't these guidelines on the rules and policies page on the main website? For the casual con-goer that doesn't want to get involved in the forum community they would never come across the detailed list that is quoted above. I guess that is why he joined yesterday to ask?

I have brought my airsoft pistol to the convention last year with no problems, it has been brought to the con for 4 consecutive years before that since it used to be my brother's he used for a Resident Evil cosplay. If the mag is out, and the weapon is disabled he can answer no to all of the conditions highlighted in red, and so can I for my prop.

You may say that he can answer yes to "is it a color that real firearms are", but most weapons are either silver, black, tan, etc. If I were to spray paint my airsoft gun pink you might say then it is not a color that real firearms are. Except for the fact that you can customize guns and make them pink, or red, or bright blue, or neon green. I could take my husband's Beretta 92 and switch out the pistol grip to something bright and obnoxious, like neon green for instance, quite easily.

My family has owned and shot guns for as long as I can remember. I have a FOID card. I'm pretty good with a 12 gauge shotgun, but I prefer pistols. I am quite aware of gun laws, issues, and problems that can arise with guns.

According to the rules and policies page my airsoft gun, and the one he linked to passes.

Here are some people I found on google sporting airsoft pistols at ACen from years past(2008-2011). Let us know if any of those shouldn't be allowed in the future.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
The guns were amazingly made out of cardboard, but from a distance they look pretty real!
Posted Image
It even has a scope! Oh and this one is obviously from last year.

#10 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

Okay. Gonna try to answer your query as best as I can.

First, it doesn't matter how much experience you have with guns, or if you have a FOID card. My husband was in the Air Force and was just 2 points shy of marksmanship on the M16. A close friend of ours has a FOID card and a Browning handgun. They know more about how airsofts work than I do. However, that doesn't change the fact that if they were to bring their airsofts (despite my warnings), they stand a good risk of being told to put them away if seen by IRT, to say nothing of the reaction Rosemont Public Safety might have. The key words there being "if seen."

One issue here is this: between IRT being roughly 200+ strong, and 25000+ attendees in the crowd, various gun replicas find their way in...and yes, some airsofts that would otherwise be deemed unacceptable have slipped through the cracks. If the guns can be identified as fake from a distance (which may have been the case with some of the ones in your photos), they're fine. Others may simply have gotten past us.

In any case, what doesn't change is this - if it's the same color(s) as the gun it's modeled after, AND it looks too realistic up close and from a distance, it won't fly. At that point, it won't matter if it's loaded or not. As to why it isn't onthe front page, it actually is:

Breaks any of the above costume rules
Is greater than your height in length when broken down.
~ Props must be approximately your height or less in length. (If you are under four feet (4’) tall, your prop may be up to four feet (4’) long.)

Has Live Steel. (Any object crafted from metal with a blade or pointed edge, sharp or blunt.)
~ As a related note, blade replicas purchased in the exhibit hall may not ever be purchased or carried by minors, and must be kept wrapped and boxed as sold by the vendor until you can move them to your car or hotel room. If you receive one of these items in a manner that breaks this rule, please find an ACen Exhibit Space Team Member and let them know.

Is a real firearm, or realistic replica firearm.
~ Gun props must have a blaze orange tip, and are required to be sufficiently unrealistic that a person must be able to tell that the prop is not real from across a room.(Transparent, flat image on cardboard, futuristic/unrealistic, blue rubber training props etc.)

Is fire-able. Fireable missiles/projectiles may not be carried on your person. Projectile firing toys must be unloaded. Bows and crossbows must be unstrung or strung with loose material like yarn.
Has a laser dot/laser pointer.

ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#11 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

View PostValkyrie, on 30 March 2012 - 09:20 PM, said:

In any case, what doesn't change is this - if it's the same color(s) as the gun it's modeled after, AND it looks too realistic up close and from a distance, it won't fly. At that point, it won't matter if it's loaded or not. As to why it isn't onthe front page, it actually is:

I already quoted that in the post above your initial post...

View PostDavenEvanXaviour, on 28 March 2012 - 08:00 PM, said:

This is from the rules page:

• Is a real firearm, or realistic replica firearm.

• Is fire-able. Fireable missiles/projectiles may not be carried on your person. Projectile firing toys must be unloaded. Bows and crossbows must be unstrung or strung with loose material like yarn.
  • Has a laser dot/laser pointer.

This does not state that the gun prop cannot be a color of a normal gun(not to mention that changing a real gun's color is as easy as a new pistol grip). This also does say that it has to have an orange tip and people must be able to tell it is fake from across a room. All modern airsoft guns have the orange tip making them unrealistic, and it can be easily seen from across a room(unless they have the tip concealed somehow of course which would be a bad idea).

The extra unofficial rules that were quoted earlier from a sticky thread in the cosplay forum is what I was referring to.

First, it doesn't matter how much experience you have with guns, or if you have a FOID card. My husband was in the Air Force and was just 2 points shy of marksmanship on the M16. A close friend of ours has a FOID card and a Browning handgun. They know more about how airsofts work than I do. However, that doesn't change the fact that if they were to bring their airsofts (despite my warnings), they stand a good risk of being told to put them away if seen by IRT, to say nothing of the reaction Rosemont Public Safety might have. The key words there being "if seen."

I was merely stating my experience with guns to convey that I know the danger and risks and why IRT and Rosemont PD would have a problem with replica weapons at the convention. I wasn't trying to show off, so I'm sorry if it came off that way. I too have close family in the military and I'm pretty jealous of the cool weapons they get to use. At one point I even worked as a contractor for the Marines, but I can't talk about any of that. I'm just trying to say that I'm not trying to get into a fight on the forums. u__u

One issue here is this: between IRT being roughly 200+ strong, and 25000+ attendees in the crowd, various gun replicas find their way in...and yes, some airsofts that would otherwise be deemed unacceptable have slipped through the cracks. If the guns can be identified as fake from a distance (which may have been the case with some of the ones in your photos), they're fine. Others may simply have gotten past us.

I didn't have a problem with any IRT with my airsoft pistol last year, and like I said before my brother brought the same one for his cosplay 4 years in a row prior to last year. There's no way we slipped past IRT with it because I had to get through IRT to get to the AA early every morning. They saw me with it holstered, and let me right in the convention center so I could get to my table. The orange tip was quite visible even holstered.

#12 User is offline   Mattchumedia 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61802

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:22 AM

I'm glad this got brought up because I'm painting and crafting toy guns into the post-Apocalyptic junkyard era.

My only concern is I got a hub cap from the junk yard to add to my sniper gun to match Salvador (from Borderlands 2) in the art that the concept artists have created so far.

http://www.borderlands2.com/#!/art
Salvador should show in the art section so you guys get an idea.
Mash taters to the ears... and I make 'em gravy!
@mattchusurge Louder Than Nyan... XD

ACEN cosplays:
Peppy Hare, 2008; Cid Highwind, 2009-10; Francis (Left4Dead) 2011; SALVADOR (Borderlands 2) 2012

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users