First con and looking forward to it
Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:34 PM
Now onto the big question...
This'll be my first con and as such I am going to make sure I have a cosplay of some kind put together by the time I leave. Now right now I've narrowed it down to two different costumes but boy are they different. One is Lloyd Asplund from Code Geass, and the other is a Sith Warrior based off of the 'basic' hooded/ masked Sith seen in the cinematic trailers of ToR. Both have advantages and disadvantages.
- I'd be able to submit an application to join the 501st Legion after it was done
- I'd have an excuse to pick up a studio quality lightsaber (could be used later to start practicing stage combat with a friend)
- Star Wars has been my favorite movie and sci-fi setting since I was a toddler
- Very VERY expensive. we're talking around $275 for the saber and probably $200 for costume materials so my tax refunds and much of my checking account would be gone by ACEN
- Is not from an anime series so I don't know if it's frowned upon to show up in a Star Wars cosplay
- By far the cheapest option. Between material and purchasing a shirt and shoes he'd run me $80 tops.
- I have the perfect build for him and I can do his voice quite well according to a lot of people I know who are Code Geass fans
- He's one of my favorite 'mad scientist' characters in anime
- I doubt I'd ever wear Lloyd more then a few times outside of cons and maybe a party or two
- I would'nt be able to join the 501st
- He isn't the most recognizable character unless you're a fan of the anime.
My big concern is if there's some kind of taboo at anime conventions that you don't cosplay something non-anime at the convention. I wouldn't want to be ruining the con for other people. I would really enjoy either one but the more I think about it, while costly, I find the Sith sounding more and more fun. Of course the compromise always could be I just pick up the saber and make the Lloyd cosplay (maybe have Lloyd run around with a new 'invention' of his for a day at the con if I do that
Thanks for reading and I'd appreciate your input on the cosplay dilemma guys
See all of you at the con and have a good one
Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:44 PM
I hope you can handle the insanity! :3
But here's something I noticed you said: "My big concern is if there's some kind of taboo at anime conventions that you don't cosplay something non-anime at the convention. I wouldn't want to be ruining the con for other people."
Okay. Don't worry about that. You cosplay as WHO YOU want to cosplay you will not ruin the con for anyone. You're there to have fun and if you want to cosplay a Star Wars character then totally do it! We have people cosplay as Marvel characters, Harry Potter, and even Disney! So don't worry about the "taboo" just sit back and have fun!!! You are going to love ACEN. This is my third year going and I remember I was AMAZED my first year and a bit overwhelmed since there was so much to do! It's big, there's tons to do and lots of people to meet.
Major Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell SAC 2nd GIG or ARISE variant]
General Esdeath (Akame Ga Kill!)
RIP Origa <3
Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:18 AM
There might be a few cosplay-genre elitists out there. But I'm not one of them. I say pick an outfit that you want and go.
In 2012, I'll be looking for people who are willing to cosplay at ACen as something a bit different. I'll take note if I recognize outfits from (to name some random examples) movies, retro games, cartoons, or indie comics.