Anime Central Forums: First con and looking forward to it - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

First con and looking forward to it

#1 User is offline   StephenA 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61489

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

Heard about ACEN last year in my high school's anime club, unfortunately due to a lack of planning (and the fact that the con was the same weekend as that year's prom) I was unable to go. This year though my schedule's clear for the con and my club's gotten together and planned since January for this. I never have cosplayed before but have been wanting to for some time. Right now I'm torn between two costumes to do for ACEN (more on this later). I got into Anime during my 7th grade year by turning on cartoon network and watching one of the final episodes of Naruto, as the years went bye I moved onto Bleach, Hellsing and more. Right now my favorite anime would probably be Code Geass, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Soul Eater. Mangas would be FMA, Bleach (though I hate the direction the author's taken the series starting last year) and Hellsing. I have a lot of hobbies, everything from swimming and biking to pen&paper RPGs and watching anime/ playing video games with friends. To list everything in between would take quite some time and I don't want to bore whoever's reading to death ;)

Now onto the big question...

This'll be my first con and as such I am going to make sure I have a cosplay of some kind put together by the time I leave. Now right now I've narrowed it down to two different costumes but boy are they different. One is Lloyd Asplund from Code Geass, and the other is a Sith Warrior based off of the 'basic' hooded/ masked Sith seen in the cinematic trailers of ToR. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Sith Warrior

PROS:
- I'd be able to submit an application to join the 501st Legion after it was done
- I'd have an excuse to pick up a studio quality lightsaber (could be used later to start practicing stage combat with a friend)
- Star Wars has been my favorite movie and sci-fi setting since I was a toddler

CONS:
- Very VERY expensive. we're talking around $275 for the saber and probably $200 for costume materials so my tax refunds and much of my checking account would be gone by ACEN
- Is not from an anime series so I don't know if it's frowned upon to show up in a Star Wars cosplay

Lloyd Asplund

PROS:
- By far the cheapest option. Between material and purchasing a shirt and shoes he'd run me $80 tops.
- I have the perfect build for him and I can do his voice quite well according to a lot of people I know who are Code Geass fans
- He's one of my favorite 'mad scientist' characters in anime

CONS:
- I doubt I'd ever wear Lloyd more then a few times outside of cons and maybe a party or two
- I would'nt be able to join the 501st
- He isn't the most recognizable character unless you're a fan of the anime.

My big concern is if there's some kind of taboo at anime conventions that you don't cosplay something non-anime at the convention. I wouldn't want to be ruining the con for other people. I would really enjoy either one but the more I think about it, while costly, I find the Sith sounding more and more fun. Of course the compromise always could be I just pick up the saber and make the Lloyd cosplay (maybe have Lloyd run around with a new 'invention' of his for a day at the con if I do that :lol:

Thanks for reading and I'd appreciate your input on the cosplay dilemma guys :)

See all of you at the con and have a good one
-Stephen

#2 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:44 PM

Ciao e bevenuto al forum!!!!

I hope you can handle the insanity! :3

But here's something I noticed you said: "My big concern is if there's some kind of taboo at anime conventions that you don't cosplay something non-anime at the convention. I wouldn't want to be ruining the con for other people."

Okay. Don't worry about that. You cosplay as WHO YOU want to cosplay you will not ruin the con for anyone. :) You're there to have fun and if you want to cosplay a Star Wars character then totally do it! We have people cosplay as Marvel characters, Harry Potter, and even Disney! So don't worry about the "taboo" just sit back and have fun!!! ^_^ You are going to love ACEN. This is my third year going and I remember I was AMAZED my first year and a bit overwhelmed since there was so much to do! It's big, there's tons to do and lots of people to meet. :D
ACen 2017 Cosplay
Friday: General Esdeath (Akame Ga Kill!) (98% d/t touch ups and re-doing sword)
Saturday: Major Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell ARISE variant] (100%)
Sunday: Either Major Motoko Kusanagi from GITS S.A.C. 2nd GIG or Esdeath again. Help me decide D;
RIP Origa <3

COME SEE MY PANELS!!!

"Let's Form a Stand Alone Complex!" Saturday, 12:30 PM – 2:15 PM Panel Room 13 DESCC
"My Ghost Whispers, Therefore I am" Saturday, 3:45 PM – 5:30 PM Panel Room 13

#3 User is offline   Phantasmagoria 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 17773

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:37 AM

Acen will blow ya mind.
ACEN 2012
Facebook: http://www.facebook....alexandriaburns

FRIDAY: Chii (Chobits) SATURDAY: Yuna (Final Fantasy X) SATURDAY NIGHT: TripleSix (Soap Bubble)

#4 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:18 AM

I enjoy ACen, but be prepared to pace yourself. It's a large convention, and there's rarely down time in between events. The weekend is only so long, and there's a lot of activities crammed into a few hours. Also, make sure to read the advice threads elsewhere on this forum.

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 11 February 2012 - 07:44 PM, said:

You cosplay as WHO YOU want to cosplay you will not ruin the con for anyone. ... We have people cosplay as Marvel characters, Harry Potter, and even Disney!

There might be a few cosplay-genre elitists out there. But I'm not one of them. I say pick an outfit that you want and go.

In 2012, I'll be looking for people who are willing to cosplay at ACen as something a bit different. I'll take note if I recognize outfits from (to name some random examples) movies, retro games, cartoons, or indie comics.

#5 User is offline   emileighmorgan 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 61704

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

It's my first year here, too.
So welcome!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic