• This topic is locked

What shall we watch, 2012?

#31 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 13162

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:57 PM

Cool, cool-- keep 'em coming, quick, because the deadline's coming up!
There is a slight flaw in my character.

#32 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:47 PM

View Postjsieczkar, on 17 November 2011 - 02:22 PM, said:

Doing direct from Japan is very hard; ACEN had a title last year that was direct from Japan and it took several months to work everything out.

Working things out in Japan generally take a fair amount of time. All the better to start/try starting the sooner than the later, though, right? Me mum did used to say good things are worth a wait. :3

View PostUnka Josh, on 17 November 2011 - 02:27 PM, said:

Ah, if it were only that simple.

I can try to contact Toei, of course, but unfortunately, the argument you propose won't hold much water, as there are no current licensed distributors of the Sailor Moon anime in the US, so showing it won't really generate a lot of profit for them. Still, I'll try.

Ah, not profit for a distributor, I mean.... direct profit to and for them (as in we give them money directly). In such a case we obviously(?) would be paying them for the right to show their production at the convention, which would mean money in their bank accounts (since Japan doesn't do checks, saying cash/check in pocket would be inaccurate ^^d), as well as free advertising of their name and series' name, not to mention the garnered attention of being the first showing of a much-loved series in near a decade. Likewise, were they to have something like DVDs available, all/most all profit (whatever negotiations would conclude) be theirs upon sale. (Would that they/their bosses would realize the potential capital of the american market -- just look at the number of sales & profits going to middleman companies for Yahoo!Japan alone, not even counting the courier/shopper services.... that's a lot of dollars they could have for themselves if they'd just sell it directly to american markets...or set up a western branch~ @_______@;;) In a much-simplified train of thought, if we were to negotiate some way to put the showing in their (generalized) favor while showing our sincerity and respect for their company and their work, we could reasonably hope to obtain a showing right. By no means am i saying it would be simple or easy, but it would be possible.

View PostUnka Josh, on 17 November 2011 - 02:27 PM, said:

Cartoon Network can't give us screening rights to Sailor Moon. They do not have them anymore.

I'll see what can be done, but I don't anticipate success, which is a shame-- I'd dearly love to be able to screen Sailor Moon.

I was actually meaning we beg plead pester nicely ask them to reacquire rights, then when they have them we ask them to let us show it? ^^; Bar that, perhaps we can try getting a petition going to show Toei (or any old series' Japanese license holders) we have a sincere, genuine interest in their work seeing the light of day again?

Another thought -- would it be easier for us to get Mononoke Hime ("Princess Mononoke")?
Disney's the US distributor (iirc) of all Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli films, so that should have a current American license and not have the /headdesk of a +15hr time zone difference. and if we need send people to florida to beg and plead with the mouse so be it right? 8D And be easier to find a DVD copy of for con showing (Disney -did- do a dual-language DVD release for all Miyazaki films, in '08 I wanna say). And it could be a 15th anniversary shpwing (it -was- 1998 it came out stateside yes? same year as Pokemon? I don't think my 3rd grade yearbook is wrong or in a TARDIS.. o__o;)....just as it is our 15th year.~ (Oh yeah, and it's awesome.~ ;3)
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#33 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:32 PM

I'd love to be able to screen Princess Mononoke.

The problem is that getting screening rights from Disney, while entirely do-able-- I even have an email address somewhere-- means paying them a good amount of money for screening rights.

This is a detail that I suppose isn't well-known, but there's no reason to be secretive about it. We don't pay for screening rights, and we don't have the budget to do so, except for very special occasions. (Yes, we do have perfectly legal permission to show everything that we put on a screen at Acen. We just don't actually have to pay for anything.)

So, that's more or less the situation. We probably won't be able to screen Sailor Moon or any Disney titles, in part because the money involved for any one title is more than my budget allows.

#34 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

View PostUnka Josh, on 25 November 2011 - 01:32 PM, said:

I'd love to be able to screen Princess Mononoke.

The problem is that getting screening rights from Disney, while entirely do-able-- I even have an email address somewhere-- means paying them a good amount of money for screening rights.

This is a detail that I suppose isn't well-known, but there's no reason to be secretive about it. We don't pay for screening rights, and we don't have the budget to do so, except for very special occasions. (Yes, we do have perfectly legal permission to show everything that we put on a screen at Acen. We just don't actually have to pay for anything.)

So, that's more or less the situation. We probably won't be able to screen Sailor Moon or any Disney titles, in part because the money involved for any one title is more than my budget allows.

Are we talking like $5000 plus for screening rights on this? Calculating rough number of badges sold last con x$55/ea, that is a sizable amount the con brought in (though i am aware we're out some odd 75k for the dome, and any other things destroyed in the hyatt this year, and not factoring in here the cost of renting the con center and hotel room suite negotiations - of which i assume would take about half the con budget altogether?). I know Disney rules their shows with an iron fist, but the news report last night that Disney's in talks with Google/Youtube to consider screening Disney films over Youtibe had me kinda hopeful (NB: I know we're not Google $$$ lmao). Any chance we can negotiate or barter down the potential O_______O cost by flying a bazillion "THANK YOU MICKEY MOUSE WE LOVE YOU DISNEY AND SO SHOULD YOU <3 SQUEE YAY DISNEY YOU ARE AWESOME WONDERFUL PEOPLE LOVE THEM PEOPLE LOOOOOOOOVE THEEEEEEEM BUY THEIR THIIIIIIIINGS THEY SELL ANIME GO BUYS IT AND LOOOOOOOOOVE THEEEEEEM" posters and signs and what have you? Perhaps the free advertising and trumpeting their horn would hold some worth (plus freely advertising OH HAI DISNEY SELLS ANIME GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY NAO PLZ could be a good point too -- spreading the word to a target audience that likes to spend money that the TV channel of their youth can now fuel their tv addiction as adults may see a sizable profit increase, like a highway sign but free for them)? They DO say free advertising and spreading a good word/name is worth a lot...

---
That, or another idea:

I know other conventions have sponsors and partners....

As a non-profit convention, are we allowed to have either? Because if we ARE legally able to do it... Disney and Dr Scholls are pretty much shoe-ins (no pun intended) for the role. Applicable to the target audience, and it would be a mutually beneficially relationship for all parties involved. If we CAN do it.... I'd say try. :3

(Edit: fix'd. hit Reply instead of preview bc i r a fingernail painting gimp and knock over the paint bottle too easily 8D)

This post has been edited by chainedbyroses: 25 November 2011 - 02:01 PM

Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#35 User is offline   Maze 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 6570

Posted 25 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

Here's another for the possible premier list:

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Licensed by Aniplex of America

Supposed US release is February 2012.

Good luck. Definitely want to see this one.

Also:

Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka

Licensed by Funimation. Supposed release in 2012 sometime.

This post has been edited by Maze: 25 November 2011 - 02:06 PM

#36 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:50 PM

View Postchainedbyroses, on 25 November 2011 - 01:50 PM, said:

(though i am aware we're out some odd 75k for the dome, and any other things destroyed in the hyatt this year, and not factoring in here the cost of renting the con center and hotel room suite negotiations - of which i assume would take about half the con budget altogether?)

I don't feel that it's my place to discuss the convention budget and how it's allocated, but there are a lot of expenses that you aren't taking into consideration, the short form of all which comes down to "My budget is far too small to be able to afford to pay anything for screening rights, given all of my assorted other expenses." Getting large-scale sponsorship from a company like Disney... well, I doubt we're big enough, and we might have to jump through some hoops, which could conceivably force cancellation of some other things that we do, and I don't think that's worth it.

Negotiating with companies in Japan is something that we try to do, but we have a lot on our plates.

View PostMaze, on 25 November 2011 - 02:03 PM, said:

Here's another for the possible premier list:Puella Magi Madoka MagicaLicensed by Aniplex of AmericaSupposed US release is February 2012.Good luck. Definitely want to see this one.Also:Kore Wa Zombie Desu KaLicensed by Funimation. Supposed release in 2012 sometime.

If we can get 'em, we will. No question about it.

Keep 'em coming!

#37 User is offline   vika838 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 58943

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:37 AM

Yes, Trigun Badlands Rumble (dubbed if possible)!!!!!
Love and Peace!

Vika!

#38 User is offline   PrinceAsh 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 25123

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:18 AM

I second

Tsubasa Tokyo Revelations/Spring Chronicles
Kobato
Puella Magi Madoka Magica

What about

Black Rock Shooter
No. 6
Skip Beat
X
the Pokemon Black/White movie
Junjou Romantica? (doubting this one)

This post has been edited by PrinceAsh: 27 December 2011 - 01:23 AM

Yay, ACen!

#39 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:16 PM

...And I forgot to close this. Just as well, but yep, we're done taking requests. It's time for MASSIVE PAPERWORK TIME to begin!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users