• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

CHICAGO STUDENTS MEET UP?

#1 User is offline   ShadowPriestess 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 27965

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:09 PM

So I was just wondering if there were any Columbia students out there, or any students in general going to school in Chicago that would like to have a meet up of some kind. If we get at least a couple people in on this I really think we should make it happen. This is my 2nd year at Columbia and I'm still having a hard time making friends there. :( So if you think this would be a good idea please just post your response here and maybe even some ideas such as: where to meet, when, if for an event, etc.
VILLAINS NEED HUGS TOO!

#2 User is offline   SpaceDragon 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 5514

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:07 PM

Hi ShadowPriestess,
I don't usually post here, but I wanted to say it's awesome you're putting yourself out there for a meetup. I graduated from Columbia four years ago. It was difficult keeping long-term friends since it's a heavy commuter school and I was between departments. For years, I attended another school's anime club because Columbia's was nearly non-existant. You can learn more about Columbia J.A.M. here, but their sites seem to be abandoned.

Nothing brings people together like a club. Most adult anime fans say that their club was their fondest memories in college. Maybe revive Columbia's club and meet people that way? It's difficult to find space outside of school, so take advantage of your tuition and hold meetings in the awesome theater spaces!

If you're not inclined to do that, lurk or post on AnimeChicago.com. Membership is free. Events listed there are open to the public.

Hope I've been helpful. Good luck in your endeavor!

#3 User is offline   animefarie 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 18231

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:24 PM

Hi there! I personally am not attending school this semester, perhaps next aswell we'll see, but my boyfriend goes to Columbia! it's his first year there though he's transfered in as a Junior. It's great to see people in the area so close! Just earlier I to was thinking of possibly planning a meet up at like Millenium Park or something of that nature. I don't know if I have the planning skills though. If you're looking for friends, as we are too, feel free to message if you want to get together for lunch or something :D

#4 User is offline   ddrfan210 

• Video Gaming Staff
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 34017

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:18 PM

sure that is a good idea we have a club meet up on the 8th of October The Club is called Global Otaku nation . We also have a facebook page.

My name Tiffany Im ADH of recruitment of the club. we are looking for more members so we expand :)

if u want to more about the club here is the face book page http://www.facebook....kuNation?ref=ts
be sure to click a like
Acen Staff Reg 2011,
Chicago department health- food service management licence

#5 User is offline   EvAngel 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 60985

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:04 AM

Me, me, me, me---Ooooh! Pick me! lol

Anyways, I'm Key and I'm a DePaul University student in Chicago! I would love to meet up with you guys, and if you're feeling lonely with you JMA club then you're always welcome to come and join ours! 8D We're a really large group who still have people who have already graduate come back and hang out on Monday nights and watch anime, in total about a hundred people pass through every Monday here. Talk to me if your interested! :D
Life's a b-witch. Deal.

I love how this thing changes my curses words; all time favorite: very nice lady.

#6 User is offline   Kaia Hatsune 

• Forum's Little Pony
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59449

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:01 AM

Lol I go to DePaul University as well. Key you already know who I am, but imma gonna let you guess. XD (my avatar doesn't give that away lol)

the club she is refering to is called JMAC(Japanese Media Appreciation Club) =3 and i'm the current President.
If you're interesting in meeting the vast amount of cool people in this club, feel free to msg me too.

We have cool events coming up that I will only tell those who PM me, because I do not want just a bunch of RANDOM people to show up and not know who/how they found out.

If any other clubs want to team up and do some type of fun event, msg me as well. So far, the only joint event that has been done was JAVCA vs. JMAC Capture the Flag which was actually A LOT of fun and I would love to do something like that again. =]

This post has been edited by Kaia Hatsune: 02 February 2012 - 11:02 AM

ACen 2017
Kat(Gravity Rush 2)-5%
My Cosplay.com

#7 User is offline   cidwind42 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61749

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

View PostShadowPriestess, on 08 September 2011 - 07:09 PM, said:

So I was just wondering if there were any Columbia students out there, or any students in general going to school in Chicago that would like to have a meet up of some kind. If we get at least a couple people in on this I really think we should make it happen. This is my 2nd year at Columbia and I'm still having a hard time making friends there. :( So if you think this would be a good idea please just post your response here and maybe even some ideas such as: where to meet, when, if for an event, etc.

Do graduate students count? :D
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move"

#8 User is offline   cidwind42 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61749

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

View PostSpaceDragon, on 11 September 2011 - 05:07 PM, said:

Hi ShadowPriestess,
I don't usually post here, but I wanted to say it's awesome you're putting yourself out there for a meetup. I graduated from Columbia four years ago. It was difficult keeping long-term friends since it's a heavy commuter school and I was between departments. For years, I attended another school's anime club because Columbia's was nearly non-existant. You can learn more about Columbia J.A.M. here, but their sites seem to be abandoned.

Nothing brings people together like a club. Most adult anime fans say that their club was their fondest memories in college. Maybe revive Columbia's club and meet people that way? It's difficult to find space outside of school, so take advantage of your tuition and hold meetings in the awesome theater spaces!

If you're not inclined to do that, lurk or post on AnimeChicago.com. Membership is free. Events listed there are open to the public.

Hope I've been helpful. Good luck in your endeavor!

I gotta say that is really unfortunate. The school that I went to had quite a proportionately large anime/scifi club and did all types of things. It is great that we have these forums though...
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move"

#9 User is offline   BreBre716 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 59491

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:48 AM

HHey I go to Columbia and I'd definelty be interested in a meet up of College kids who cosplay. and I'm part of the Anime club at columbia called J.A.M and we're pretty active .
ACen 2016 COSPLAY

Minako Arisato/FemMC : Persona 3

Misato Katusragi: Neon Genesis Evangelion
Tidus : Final Fantasy X
Chara : Undertale
Little sister : Boruto Sasuke : Naruto and Frisk : Undertale
Little Cousin : Unconfirmed Pony : My Little Pony Friendship is Magic

#10 User is offline   Nicholas/Chaos 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 27751

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

HAHAHA lets just say i live in chicago(SOUTH SIDE :P ) and been sneaking around going to chicago cosplay meet ups in the chicago land area.
My Facebook - My Cosplay.com - My Youtube - My deviantART -
Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Cosplayer PlayStation Network: Cosplayer55

#11 User is offline   BreBre716 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

Why have I never heard of these meet ups :(
ACen 2016 COSPLAY

#12 User is offline   Kimiyo 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 17327

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

Hey I'm a college student at UIC. I think they use to have an anime club at some point, but that doesn't seem to be happening anymore.

My fiance and I would love to meet up with some more anime fans around our age. I know there are some clubs in the area, but I would be down for something a bit more casual.

Even though people haven't really posted in this thread in a while I was hoping we could still have a meetup sometime in August before classes start up. Perhaps Friday the 24th??

I know money can be tight on a college budget, but maybe we can grab lunch somewhere cheap. Of course I'm open to ideas and suggestions. But I definitely think that we should make this happen. There is this place on Michigan Ave called Hot Woks Cool Sushi, yelp prices them at $11-30. They're located across from the Art Institute. This is just one suggestion. Let me know what you guys think. :]

#13 User is offline   James 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 62574

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:35 PM

IIT student here. I commute and spend the rest of my days on my laptop.... so, never bothered joining any club. It seems like there is an anime club here... but heck, I don't know :D

that said, my school starts on the 20th :|

that also said, sushi sucks unless with live fish that cost a lot... I don't see a reason why you would want to eat rice with veggies and stick them to some soy sauce.... for 20 bucks.

#14 User is offline   MasterHavik 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61571

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:57 AM

I'm going to Minnesota this fall for school, but I don't forget my roots. Where do you want to meet up at?
Ummm....I'm going to take you to court!

#15 User is offline   Saikyo_Master 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 49931

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

Columbia College Chicago's very own Joker here! >:D I'd love for there to be a meetup of some kind. I think that Flat Top Grill on 30th and Wabash would be an awesome place to go, especially since they do unlimited bowls and have discounts for students! I've been there so many times and it definitely fills you up for your money's worth. If this is still going on, I'd be willing to help spearhead this little get-together. :3
Saikyo is the basis of every single martial art! They just don't know it yet...>.>!

ACen 2014 Cosplay

Genderbent Edward (Cowboy Bebop)

#16 User is offline   Kimiyo 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:56 AM

I would be down for Flat Top Grill. I've been there once and it was good. :] You can check out the menu here. Lunch would be pretty cheap, but dinner isn't that much more. Does anyone not want to go here//think they have a better idea??

Lets talk more about a date then. I'm going to be out of town from Aug 17-21. I personally would prefer to do it after these dates because then I know I will have some extra money. ^^;; Though I should be able to work something out if you guys wanted to do it before that.

So maybe everyone who is interesting can answer a few questions:
Are you okay with going to Flat Top Grill? (I think Flat Top sounds good)
What date works best for you to meet up? (Aug 22-26 would be best for me)
Lunch or Dinner? (I wouldn't be able to do lunch on Saturdays or Sundays, but otherwise I don't have a preference.)

#17 User is offline   James 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

Weekend unlimited dinner would be nice.

My school starts at aug 20 and I work early morning... so, yeah... dinner should be the only option unless you want to have lunch during the weekends.

#18 User is offline   Kimiyo 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

Okay, so perhaps August 25th at like 7pm??

Saikyo: are you apart of the anime club at Columbia? If you are, maybe you could mention this to people so we can get a larger group going?

#19 User is offline   Saikyo_Master 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 49931

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:46 PM

Hmm. That time sounds good at the moment. xD And I've been to J.A.M. a few times. It started off as for my ethnography project and then I started to go for a few more weeks until I started getting more enthusiastic about my own writing and...yeah, fell off. BUT, this year, I'm gonna try to attend the meetings more often and get to know more of the people there. I have a few friends that are in the J.A.M. club as well. :D
Saikyo is the basis of every single martial art! They just don't know it yet...>.>!

ACen 2014 Cosplay

Genderbent Edward (Cowboy Bebop)

#20 User is offline   James 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

sounds good. Would be my first time going there, is there parking?

#21 User is offline   Kimiyo 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:38 PM

Well def invite any anime friends that might be interested in going. We'll get a count a couple days before and make a reservation. Hopefully more people will see this by then.

The place is in the loop (Address: 30 S. Wabash), so any parking would be pretty expensive on the weekend. I know there are a couple parking garages/lots close by though. Its really close to like all the trains and some buses. Flat Top's website links to this parking garage. I guess they offer some sort of discount rate when dining at Flat Top though, so maybe it wouldn't be so bad. I didn't see what their discount price was though.

#22 User is offline   James 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:39 AM

I'll just take the train if it's in the loop then

#23 User is offline   MasterHavik 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:05 AM

hold on. Where are we going to meet up at?

#24 User is offline   Kimiyo 

• Pip

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

Yeah, I think taking a train would be best. :]

Right now August 25, I think this is more of a tentative date still. If there is a date that works better for everyone we could do that too. :] When do you leave for Minnesota?

#25 User is offline   MasterHavik 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

Umm...august 14th or something? Nah that date is good. I'll head out there, since I'm getting ready for college.

#26 User is offline   BreBre716 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

View PostSaikyo_Master, on 27 July 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

Hmm. That time sounds good at the moment. xD And I've been to J.A.M. a few times. It started off as for my ethnography project and then I started to go for a few more weeks until I started getting more enthusiastic about my own writing and...yeah, fell off. BUT, this year, I'm gonna try to attend the meetings more often and get to know more of the people there. I have a few friends that are in the J.A.M. club as well. :D

hey you to Columbia to? I think I remember you coming to the Club one day and making an annoucement about your project.
ACen 2016 COSPLAY

#27 User is offline   James 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

seems like so many people go to columbia :|

#28 User is offline   Jeff 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 29995

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

Wish I had gone to Columbia. I went to Flashpoint. Terrible mistake.
Love, Peace, & Video Games

#29 User is offline   BreBre716 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

View PostJeff, on 31 July 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

Wish I had gone to Columbia. I went to Flashpoint. Terrible mistake.

I have a friend who goes to Flashpoint. It's not so bad..
ACen 2016 COSPLAY

#30 User is offline   Jeff 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 29995