Anime Central Forums: SoapBubble 2012 info and suggestion thread - Anime Central Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

SoapBubble 2012 info and suggestion thread lastest info on DJ's and the party in general

#61 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 1441

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

well for reference these are last years posters/flyer's. these are no more risque then this new poster, but this is the way of the world you're not gonna be able to please everyone. people are either gonna love it or hate it. i work with one of the best graphic designers i know to come up with these advert's. i like them to be unique and to stand out and for people to talk about them which is what we have here.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by saiyajinimport: 19 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

Allen Castillo

#62 User is offline   lmw_mcol 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 19758

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

I would really appreciate it if the Soap Bubble lasted til 5am.

I would really appreciate it very much if they have a Portapotty there since if you leave to go to the bathroom, you have to go aaaaallll the way to the back of the line to get in

#63 User is offline   lmw_mcol 

• Pip

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

View PostDJ Jeffito, on 15 February 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

Yes, he and I will be playing at Anime Milwaukee, this Saturday, along with Bad Corey, DJ Maru, DJ Shaun Sin, and if we have extra time, guest DJs. It's going to be a fun party! =D

If you ever come to St. Louis, Missouri I'll be the first person in line :thumbup:

#64 User is offline   lmw_mcol 

• Pip

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

View Postsaiyajinimport, on 16 September 2011 - 11:17 PM, said:

I'm working on it. it was pretty much every year its gone till 5am this past year was the first time it ended early. so if you want it to end later get all of your friends that love going to soapbubble and have theme post up here and make it known.

So...Why did they shut it down so early last year? What a bust!

#65 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

View Postlmw_mcol, on 16 March 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

I would really appreciate it very much if they have a Portapotty there since if you leave to go to the bathroom, you have to go aaaaallll the way to the back of the line to get in

Or we could just rope off from the "exit" door over to the bathrooms (like they do in theaters on a premiere night, or at Hollywood Blvd, though still let not-dance people in to potty, of course.). We put staffers on both ends of the ropes - when you tell the door person/staffer you need to use bathroom, he/she checks your badge/name, stamps your hand and gives you a ticket (like the generic office max kind for raffles), retaining the stub 'til you return; upon returning form the bathroom, the staffer at the bathroom ends checks to make sure you have the stamp and your ticket, letting you through up to the door staffer, who will then also check your stamp (prevent line cutters) and verify your ticket matches the half he/she tore off yours (also preventing line cutters & those trying to use a generic stamp/ticket to get "back" inside), and verify your badge/name with their list. Ta-daaa, back in the dance, /and/ no bladder-related drama!

Might sound silly to do, but it really could work. Very easy 2-man process, super simple to instruct staffers/volunteers/IRT on handling, less than $20 to implement between the stampers and tickets (minus the ropes, though iirc the hotels/con center already have 'em and we ought be able to borrow them), has safety checks that should keep things smoothly going while preventing cuts and cheats, AND solves the "To pee or not to pee; that is the question..." dilemma of the last several years that leaves angry people year in and year out. (And if you reeeeeally want to make it more "secure" or foolproof plan, change the stamps or stamp ink color every hour or every other hour, or change the color of the tickets instead at those times -- just let the new shifts/staffers know of the last hour's stamp/color/tickets for possible pokey piddlers!)

Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#66 User is offline   Oyuki 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 58998

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:11 AM

I don't know if it's an ego thing in defending this year's Soap Bubble advert. There's an obvious difference between what we have now and what you have shown to be from last year. It went from PG-13 to R rated. They seriously just need clothes, it's not that hard.

The new poster is definitely the kind of thing that should be avoided so that younger anime fans will be allowed to even attend the con. You're making it incredibly difficult for them to explain to this to their parents if there's even a chance for argument and persuasion.

"You can't please everyone," is also such a cop-out response.

I know the staff does a lot to make all this happen, and I'm happy that ACen has been so successful from your collective efforts. Maybe you were exhausted from all the things that needed to be organized to make many other parts of the con successful. But this is such a touchy subject that determines whether or not the younger crowd attends, what kinds of people attend to Soap Bubble, and even what the mindset might be.

I've already been made wary of the possibility of gropers. Do we really need raunchy propaganda to imply bad behavior? As a young adult who appreciates yaoi, fanservice and the like, I still care about the young people who are just getting into the fandom and culture or whom already are involved, but need all the good reasons they can get just to be able to go and have fun. This isn't about censorship either, in case that's brought into the argument, but about good taste.
2011: C.C.
2012: Moka Akashiya / (Bunny)Sebastian Michaelis
2013: ??? / White Rabbit Sebastian / Nurse Akali / Cosmo?

ermahgerd ferceberk

#67 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

Again I refer to the previous art work posted above. This no worse then what I have made in previous years
Allen Castillo

#68 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

View PostOyuki, on 19 March 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:

It went from PG-13 to R rated. They seriously just need clothes, it's not that hard.

Except nothing shown in this thread has been R rated.

And honestly if a parent is allowing a young person to attend a late night techno dance party and their biggest concern is that the poster is slightly risque then I think they have their priorities in the wrong order.
All systems... GO!

#69 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

For your information the 2 characters are clothed there is no nudity or implied nudity.
Allen Castillo

#70 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

View PostOyuki, on 19 March 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:

This isn't about censorship either, in case that's brought into the argument, but about good taste.

The difference between censorship and upholding/maintaining "good taste" is a matter of mere personal opinion. In your opinion, the poster is in bad taste. In my opinion, it's PG-13 and harmless. How could anything shown here be R rated? Clearly that was an exaggeration on your part.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#71 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

I'm on the fence with the ads. I feel maybe last year with the gogo dancers plus the usual sexy poster was a bit much.
And I understand you want it to look like a 2D club ad but in the past, there were much more "tasteful" posters.
I like the direction the hardcore posters go. Even if there is a bit of nudity, the nudity is not what draws the attention. And I know they are two very different events but maybe a more soft image would be a better fit for a family con (?) . Like 2010's flyer or the teaser that was shown earlier with the Mari from Evangelion look a like may look a little more fitting for the event.
2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Honoka-Dead or Alive Last Roumd
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#72 User is offline   vika838 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 58943

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

Not to sound feminist, but how about having a guy on the ad next time and give the ladies a rest? Or a cool design of a dj of either gender? Soap bubble has great attendance, so I'm not sure why we need to resort to blatant sex appeal in the advertising. There are so many other directions that the artwork on the marketing flyers could take, why limit it to scantily clad ladies? If nothing else it gets repetitive and somewhat boring. Overall, I agree with linlindesu that it needs to be more representative of the entire demographic that comes to the con.
Love and Peace!

Vika!

#73 User is offline   Oyuki 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

I admit to a bit of overreaction; I got too passionate about putting my opinion out there. But where does one draw the line? There still is a lot more flesh shown all around in the current ad compared to what saiyajinimport posted in comparison. It just seems so obvious to me. One might find that the posing is similar, but the flesh color and the sheer amount of it, I think, should have been too controversial to consider in the first place.

ermahgerd ferceberk

#74 User is offline   Ohki 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8930

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:01 AM

....There are no bare nipples or anything. Everything is covered in both the 2011 and 2012 posters. And personally I think they're all gorgeous. Also a dance like this is no place for kids regardless, really.

And personally I enjoy the sexy ladies. Don't give them a rest. Having sexy men included in the fliers as well would be a nice touch, though.

This post has been edited by Ohki: 20 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

South Korea likes breasts.
Ukraine has breasts.
She has them in spades.
If South Korea and Ukraine were to hook up...
Then South Korea would never have a shortage of breasts ever again.

#75 User is offline   Brazoliange 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 10363

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

This argument has to be a joke. This is an after-hours rave which is a very minor part of the con as a whole. If you honestly feel that the graphics on the poster/flyers are too 'extreme', you should consider ignoring the event. None of what has been posted for this year or any previous year would be seen as unacceptable for CD covers - why would this be judged any more harshly? Because you feel children should be participating in a ~9p-4a dance?

#76 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

View PostBrazoliange, on 20 March 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

This argument has to be a joke. This is an after-hours rave which is a very minor part of the con as a whole. If you honestly feel that the graphics on the poster/flyers are too 'extreme', you should consider ignoring the event. None of what has been posted for this year or any previous year would be seen as unacceptable for CD covers - why would this be judged any more harshly? Because you feel children should be participating in a ~9p-4a dance?

Well put.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#77 User is offline   Oyuki 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

I wasn't talking about children. My biggest concern now is where these posters are going to be seen and how that might affect much more conservative parents' decisions for the con a whole. I don't have any qualms about the event because of the posters, but I think there's a really good chance many others will. A bit more thoughtful discretion in the future would be very much appreciated; heck I think even using an outfit like Yoko Littner's would have passed, but the amount of flesh this time around is sketchy at best.

This post has been edited by Oyuki: 20 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

ermahgerd ferceberk

#78 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

These posters will not be seen anywhere at the convention. These posters will be printed by me and given away at The soapbubble as prizes by me. I have these designed by a very good designer friend of mine as a fun unique give away for fans that want them. I only give away a very limited amount of posters every year.

I have yet to hear a complaint from a parent or even those higher up in the convention then me. Concerning the promo material I come up with. Anime central does not spend any money on this promotion. All of this is done out of my own pocket to promote soapbubble.
Allen Castillo

#79 User is offline   Oyuki 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

PFfft here I was whining about all this while under the impression that these were very public. Carry on, carry on XD

Gomen nasai!!

*head-desk*

ermahgerd ferceberk

#80 User is offline   deadmau5 fan 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61468

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

Just something I stumbled upon.
DJ Jeffito messing around for Anime Central (ACEN) 2012
http://youtu.be/83z6fWldF_0
The comments speak for themselves.

This post has been edited by deadmau5 fan: 26 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

#81 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

View Postdeadmau5 fan, on 26 March 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

Just something I stumbled upon.
DJ Jeffito messing around for Anime Central (ACEN) 2012
http://youtu.be/83z6fWldF_0
The comments speak for themselves.

this conversation has been had 20 times.
no matter how good someone is, they should not be an a _ _ hat on the forums. It looks unprofessional. Maybe next year they will let him back on and he won't go around picking petty arguments

saiyajinimport , will the gogo dancers be back?

This post has been edited by linlindesu: 26 March 2012 - 05:35 PM

2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Honoka-Dead or Alive Last Roumd
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#82 User is offline   Oyuki 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

Has he apologized?

ermahgerd ferceberk

#83 User is offline   DJ Jeffito 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 5555

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:04 AM

I'm sorry
Facebook Page | SoundCloud | Anime Convention DJs Facebook Group | WeebCast

Dance Coordinator
: Anime Apocalypse 2013; Anime Crossroads 2015; Anime Milwaukee 2012, 2014, 2015; Anime World Chicago 2011, 2012; Anime World Indianapolis 2012; Kollision Con 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013; Shuto Con 2014
Game Room Staff: Anime Central 2002, 2003; Anime Milwaukee 2013
Misc Staff: Anime Reactor 2003, 2006, 2007
Guest DJ: 30+ conventions, including Anime Central, Anime Expo, and Sakura-Con (Full list on my Facebook page)

#84 User is offline   Spittin Wheelie 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 18132

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:35 AM

So what's the deal with the ending time this year? I finally got in last year and then the dance closed down WAY early. Just wanna make sure I'm not wasting my time again this year as I remember years past when we were there until 6-7 a.m.

#85 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

Unfortunately the days of staying open till the sun comes out are long gone. This years event will go till at least 4:30am and with the change in room lay out we will be able to fit more people in the room hopefully making wait time less.
Allen Castillo

#86 User is offline   Kent 

• Berserker
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61118

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

Good to hear that your making some changes to have more people come to this amazing event. I hope the wait isn't as long as previous years.
Trying to gather ideas for next cosplay...?!?

#87 User is offline   Darko 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18698

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:38 AM

I dont usually post but i do like the music.
Opinion line being drawn here
-------------------------------------------------------------
I am dissapointed Jeffito wont be at SB this year, hopefully he'll come back next year. I really do like his mixes

Also i wanna know at what point and who, does the dubstep come on. cause personally I hate the stuff (we're all entitled to our own)
Id like to know so i don't wait in line forever just to come in at that time when they play

Edit- also I do enjoy the boobie posters

This post has been edited by Darko: 07 April 2012 - 01:41 AM

Acen2014 - Creator Viktor - League of Legends
ACen 2013- Artorias the abysswalker -Darksouls
Apocalypse year ACen 2012-DEADMAU5 RAINBOSS- CustomLED Helmet

Questions about props?Email me . Details on my profile

#88 User is offline   Spittin Wheelie 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 18132

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

Glad to hear the dance will be open until 4:30 a.m. Thanks for the response!

#89 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

View PostSpittin Wheelie, on 07 April 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

Glad to hear the dance will be open until 4:30 a.m. Thanks for the response!

no problem
Allen Castillo

#90 User is offline   glenburg89 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 17536

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hey guys,
What's usually the best time I should be standing in the Soap Bubble line if I want to participate from start to finish?
I'm asking because the Masquerade ends at 9:00 pm, and I know from previous years I missed some of the starting DJs, while standing in line.
Thanks.

Edit:
I just realized they're both in The Grand Ballroom.

This post has been edited by glenburg89: 21 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

Anime Central Attendee (2008-Current)

"ACen is a three day filler arc where your inner child shines and allows you to pursue your true self ."

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users