• This topic is locked

Boarders closing All 400 stores are closing their doors

#1 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:57 PM

So yes Borders is now leaving us, meaning we will only have barns and noble as our lone book store, save for Half Price Books. Does anyone else thinks this sucks?

They're selling the books off as of 22 of this month.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#2 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:29 AM

This is a real unfortunate closing. Most people are likely going to have to look online for their books these days besides the other book stores you mentioned. Rough market/economy unfortunately. :(
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#3 User is offline   Haggisstew 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 36322
  • Location:If the torso next to my name is in color, I'm at a computer.

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:24 AM

:'(
Confirmed ACen cosplays; Arsene Lupin III

#4 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:29 AM

Got an e-mail as the clock struck midnight. I's like watching your childhood friend die, except hopefully no-one is dying but 1000's of people are losing their jobs.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#5 User is offline   Mock-Kappa 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3036
  • Location:A branch of the Miskatonic University in Sugar Grove, IL.

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:51 AM

Yeah, it really does bite. Can't say I didn't see it coming. I'm going to head to my nearest location to see if I can be rebursed on a few items I pre-ordered online that were suppose to come out before the end of August which were recently pushed back.
I don't walk to the beat of a different drummer, I have a whole band including bagpipes.
Undisputed King of the ACen Kaiju Fans. Eater of Spam.
General of the Men's Pocky Garrison
"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'. " -Dave Barry-
Santa is watching you.
Con outlook for 2016: Karoshi-con 2016, C2E2, ACen 2016, Anime Midwest 2016 (staff), G-Fest, and Con Alt Delete?(staff)
ACen Cosplay outlook 16: End of Days Santa?,Professor Birch (Pokemon), Jagaur D. Saul (One Piece), Gummy(MLP).

#6 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:14 AM

Another place I worked for in the past closes (#4). It was inevitable though as many people had stopped visiting the B&M bookstores and is now doing their shopping online. Hard to say how long Barnes & Noble can keep it up but they typically always seemed more busy in comparison.

#7 User is offline   Rukariou 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59353

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:04 PM

View Postrondo, on 22 July 2011 - 07:14 AM, said:

Another place I worked for in the past closes (#4). It was inevitable though as many people had stopped visiting the B&M bookstores and is now doing their shopping online. Hard to say how long Barnes & Noble can keep it up but they typically always seemed more busy in comparison.

I think B&N will be fine. They have their hands in the ebook market, which is always why I think Borders failed. You need to keep up with the times.
2012 cosplays; Katherine McBride [ Catherine ] | Rachel Alucard [ Blazblue ]
2012 CONS; Anime Detour | Anime Central | Otakon
Currently watching; . . . | Currently playing; Catherine
PSN ID: Rukariou - hit me up if you wanna play some Little Big Planet or kick my butt at Blazblue!

"In the name of the big white thingy in the sky, Tao will punish you!" - Taokaka, Blazblue Continuum Shift

#8 User is offline   Keans 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 57580

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

Seriously pisses me off. To me E-books are stupid, I quite like the pile of books stacking up on my room.

And there is no fun in browsing books online. Not online is browsing online annoying, I rather see, feel and hold something in my own hands beffore buying it. While I can understand ordering a few things online I could never do my full shoping online.
ACEN 2012:
Big O! - Roger Smith
Fairy Tail - Gajeel

ACEN 2013 - Gene Starwin(Outlaw Star)
Go check my FB Album and give me suggestions!!!
[/size]Facebook DeviantArt

#9 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:20 PM

It kinda sucks, but as of now, their closing sales...aren't that great. At least near me, most books are ten percent off, mangas are 20 percent off...I got a better deal when they were open when they gave me "30% off one item" and related deals. But now I feel it sucks because I can't compare Border's and B&N's prices. :P And I agree Keans I don't like browsing books online...I like holding them and reading the text. That itself tells me if I want the book. But I hope with Borders closing B&N doesn't monopolize the prices and raise them because they don't have much competition.
ACen 2017 Cosplay
Friday: General Esdeath (Akame Ga Kill!) (98% d/t touch ups and re-doing sword)
Saturday: Major Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell ARISE variant] (100%)
Sunday: Either Major Motoko Kusanagi from GITS S.A.C. 2nd GIG or Esdeath again. Help me decide D;
RIP Origa <3

COME SEE MY PANELS!!!

"Let's Form a Stand Alone Complex!" Saturday, 12:30 PM – 2:15 PM Panel Room 13 DESCC
"My Ghost Whispers, Therefore I am" Saturday, 3:45 PM – 5:30 PM Panel Room 13

#10 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9607

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:28 PM

I liked the local Borders more than the B&N. <_< I also agree that B&N seems better at staying with the market. When I made my book, I tried submitting it B&N and Borders after Amazon, but Borders didn't have anything available. It's too bad though, their store here is bigger and more comfortable than B&N. :(

#11 User is offline   Rukariou 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59353

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:14 PM

View PostKeans, on 22 July 2011 - 01:53 PM, said:

Seriously pisses me off. To me E-books are stupid, I quite like the pile of books stacking up on my room.

And there is no fun in browsing books online. Not online is browsing online annoying, I rather see, feel and hold something in my own hands beffore buying it. While I can understand ordering a few things online I could never do my full shoping online.

Oh, I agree 100%. I love to have physical copies of things I love. Hell, I even go out and buy CDs of artists I really love rather than digital dloads from Amazon. It makes me sad that at the rate current things are trending with anime, is they're gonna be released online/digital format only. I can see Funi releasing series straight to Netflix/Hulu/iTunes in a few years.
2012 cosplays; Katherine McBride [ Catherine ] | Rachel Alucard [ Blazblue ]
2012 CONS; Anime Detour | Anime Central | Otakon
Currently watching; . . . | Currently playing; Catherine
PSN ID: Rukariou - hit me up if you wanna play some Little Big Planet or kick my butt at Blazblue!

"In the name of the big white thingy in the sky, Tao will punish you!" - Taokaka, Blazblue Continuum Shift

#12 User is offline   Goldeneyeuro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58858

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:44 PM

I was a bit optimistic that Borders would be able to pull through, but apparently not, and it is rather sad. Whenever I got the coupons via email, I would always think to myself how Borders would be able to turn a profit when taking up to 40% off their retail prices, and apparently they aren't able to. I preferred their stores to Barnes and Noble, they just felt more homely. I'm going to stop by one of their stores tomorrow.

I'm also one of those who still hasn't jumped onto the E-reader bandwagon. Or the digital-download bandwagon... And I don't see myself doing it anytime soon...
Never be average... - myself.
When life has no purpose, you're dead already. - Kiba from Wolf's Rain

Planned ACen 2K16 Cosplays:
Life Cool- Yuri Kuma Arashi, Slaine Troyard (count outfit)- Aldnoah Zero Season 2, Houka Inumuta (Black and Gold outfit)- Kill la Kill, Munakata Reisi- K Project

My Flickr- click for my photos

#13 User is offline   Matt PNiewski 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 28392

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:47 PM

View PostKirbyFanOne, on 22 July 2011 - 01:29 AM, said:

Got an e-mail as the clock struck midnight. I's like watching your childhood friend die, except hopefully no-one is dying but 1000's of people are losing their jobs.

And what about the thousands of people who lost their jobs BECAUSE of Borders.

Of course, people cried for them and still went to Borders.

Now people who cry for Borders STILL order from Amazon.

All the time not understanding they part they played in this. Capitalism is a fickle very nice lady.
Jimmy Olsen to the Real Life Superheroes.

#14 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:26 AM

View PostMatt PNiewski, on 22 July 2011 - 11:47 PM, said:

Capitalism is a fickle very nice lady.

Capitalism isn't too far off of cannibalism. They just like to call them "mergers" because "consumption" doesn't sound very professional on a resume.

#15 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:40 AM

View PostKeans, on 22 July 2011 - 01:53 PM, said:

E-books aren't for everybody. I know other folks who don't like them/see the point in them.

Then there are folks like my husband - he used to dislike reading books unless they're graphic novels, mangas, or really good novels worth his time. (And he's particular about those, too.) Then, thanks to a white-elephant Chistmas gift game we played with my family over the holidays, he got an Amazon Kindle. I never believed he'd take to reading off of that so quickly. After a while, it turned out that the reason he never really took up reading actual books, is because seeing how far he needed to go to finish the book would turn him off from doing it. (Yeah, he's got ADHD. It's worn down over the years, but it still manifests in things like this.) Now he loves tracking down novels and books he's heard about and reading them in E-book format.

Now, that being said, would using E-book sales have helped Borders at all? Maybe, maybe not. At this point, I don't think we'll ever know.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#16 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 11087

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:54 AM

There's still Barns & Noble.
Not surprised since Boarders charged ridiculous prices for music and movies.
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

#17 User is offline   bewd7879 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 60057

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:33 PM

Stopped by my Borders today and nothing too interesting. I don't usually buy manga, but if it gets to about 50% off or more I'll pick a few up. The one book I was looking for they didn't have too :/

#18 User is offline   Femme Fatale 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7220

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:38 PM

I am very sad that Border's is closing. I always go crazy when I go there. I spend money like mad on books and dvd's. Now I have no place to go to do that. I know have to buy my books online. I don't want to go the kindle route. I prefer to have a book in my hand and turn its pages with my fingers, rather than hold a big device in my and and turn the page with just the press of a button with my finger.
Excel's Big Sis

Coming Soon to ACen 2018

Yukata versions of Junko Enoshima (Danga Ronpa - Friday) and Miku Hatsune (Saturday)

#19 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 7072
  • Location:Mississippi then New Jersey. Might make ACen 2018 :D

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:01 PM

2011: With the closing of Borders all across the world, publishing companies lossed one of thier major distributors cuasing a decrease in the publication of books.

2012: Shortly following, the company whom owned Border also closes down their Walden Books branch due to bankruptcy

2012: Online stores still gaining revenue despite the closing of two major book chains

2015: Major Magazine companies stop producing most publications except for those that sell the most. All other ones become web based or are shut down entirely

2016: Google buys out most major publishing companies nearly creating a monopoly on the publishing industry. This includes B. Dalton Bookseller, the parent company of Barnes and Nobles Bookstores.

2016: Microsoft develops a franchise of internet cafes wherein one can purchase digital media called "Window Sill"s

2017: Google closes out half the Barnes and Nobles bookstores as massive a finance shaping action.

2019: Google opens a "digital" bookstore called "Google Books" inside .pdfs and other forms of digital publications can be purchased and downloaded to the current technological reading devices.

2020: Google closes down the last Barnes and Nobles bookstore due to the success of Google Books. Windows Sills have been contracted out with the libraries around the world, incorporating Window Sills into almost all libraries, charging only for the lattes and the digital media.

2021: Microsoft purchases the most the US library due to a statement in the contract rendering the libraries in the US separated from the federal government as well as a newly signed contract with the FCC, thus turning all Libraries and the FCC under ownership of Microsoft.

2027: Yahoo is bought out by Google. Microsoft using the powers formally granted by the FCC to advise and regulate the US Public School system

2029: All minor publishing and book stores are bought out under Google in a desperate attempt to continue in it's competition against Microsoft.

2031: After years of competition between Microsoft and Google, the major companies merge under one company but in order maintain under laws against operating as a total monopoly thus they merge certain like aspects and utilize those as separate companies of the old names. Google being all web and information based technology, Microsoft as the Hardware/misc. The "parent" company owning those two calls themselves "Illuminated Data"

2045: Illuminated Data releases it's technologies as free to all people. It now controls al regulations on information as it releases a replacement for the internet which processes zettabytes of information wirelessly. People accept the technology despite it's heavy monitoring and control of material on it.

2060: Books are considered retro by the new generation. The only books that are sold are in second hand stores like Illuminated Data Salvation Store.
and Illuminated Data Will.
2100: The last library to have books as it's main source of media becomes a landmark.

2106: Landmarks are sold to foreign contries due to the massive amount of debt in the US. The last library to contain books is only valued by a minor third world country. It is sold to it for the equivalent of $80 US dollars today. It is used as a vacation spot by the poor of the third world country.

2700: The last book not in a museum or preserved under Iron Mountain, PA's vualts is blown away in as dust in the wind

5000: the books in Iron Mountain crumble away when the generators run out due to being forgotten by mankind or lack of mankind being around.

7000: ps3 still has no games
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

#20 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:33 PM

Teko please tell me that was all original material. Please be original!

#21 User is offline   Oreo_Otaku 

• Registration
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 2339
  • Location:inside your mind... I'm a figment of your imagination

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:45 PM

Sad day for my pocketbooks.... I'm going to be broke off of the sales ^_^
[center]How's my driving? Flip FOB Driver Pro: Oreo_Otaku. Comments? CALL: 111-555-9999
If you can read this you get a pat on the back.
I drank GOD and it is good!!!
Part of POWA*PinoyOneWorldAlliance*
ninja>pirates!
Acen Hamburglar

#22 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:23 PM

View PostTekoMuto, on 23 July 2011 - 08:01 PM, said:

Wut

What? I....don't know what to say.

Sad to see Borders closing, especially all of them. They had a better variety than B and N and it was easier to buy manga than order it online, due to my mail issues.

Man now I have to order Sumomomo online and Wandering son :(
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#23 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:50 AM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 22 July 2011 - 05:20 PM, said:

It kinda sucks, but as of now, their closing sales...aren't that great. At least near me, most books are ten percent off, mangas are 20 percent off...I got a better deal when they were open when they gave me "30% off one item" and related deals. But now I feel it sucks because I can't compare Border's and B&N's prices. :P And I agree Keans I don't like browsing books online...I like holding them and reading the text. That itself tells me if I want the book. But I hope with Borders closing B&N doesn't monopolize the prices and raise them because they don't have much competition.

It is pretty typical for the beginning of a liquidation. B&N can't really raise prices at all since both them and Borders prices always started at MSRP/cover price. The difference is how much of a discount they offer you.

I find that B&N cannot lighten their discounts because they will still have it hard while trying to compete with online sales. If their fortune doesn't turn for the better, they will probably try again to find someone to purchase the company.

I bought so much manga using the 30/40/50% off coupons.

This post has been edited by rondo: 25 July 2011 - 07:51 AM

#24 User is offline   Neko_master_Luna 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 28689

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:22 PM

I heard B&N is having problems too, just not on the scale of Boarders. While Boarders was mismanaged for years, they also did not jump on the digital band wagon, witch hurt them even more. After a bad Paypal experience(I am still cleaning up after this), I prefer to buy my books in person. I can for see B&N ending up the same way in the not so near future, with people downloading more & more.I also blame people like author Michelle Sinclair Colman. Her article on the closing of her local Boarders is a classic example of typical soccer Mom abuse of any giving store & also what I call bad parenting. I don't under stand how some like that can write children's books. She is only part of the problem. I feel bad for all the people who are loosing their jobs in an already crappy economy. If any one is interested in reading that said article, here it is.

http://chappaqua.pat...or-our-children
Currently writing a book.

#25 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 7072
  • Location:Mississippi then New Jersey. Might make ACen 2018 :D

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:12 AM

View PostKirbyFanOne, on 23 July 2011 - 08:33 PM, said:

Teko please tell me that was all original material. Please be original!

yup that was original, i don't take kindly to plagarism ;3
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

#26 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:50 AM

View PostNeko_master_Luna, on 25 July 2011 - 11:22 PM, said:

I heard B&N is having problems too, just not on the scale of Boarders. While Boarders was mismanaged for years, they also did not jump on the digital band wagon, witch hurt them even more. After a bad Paypal experience(I am still cleaning up after this), I prefer to buy my books in person. I can for see B&N ending up the same way in the not so near future, with people downloading more & more.I also blame people like author Michelle Sinclair Colman. Her article on the closing of her local Boarders is a classic example of typical soccer Mom abuse of any giving store & also what I call bad parenting. I don't under stand how some like that can write children's books. She is only part of the problem. I feel bad for all the people who are loosing their jobs in an already crappy economy. If any one is interested in reading that said article, here it is.

http://chappaqua.pat...or-our-children

The reason why B&N is in better shape than Borders is because they increased their online and digital presence a lot more effectively. The bigger threat to their e-reader would be the emerging tablet market.
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#27 User is offline   Gabichox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59269

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:37 PM

Sad sad day :/
I didn't know that ALL the borders stores would be closing. I thought it was only a few. Granted I only shop at Half Priced Books [I only read classics lol and they have old versions of books] I used to love going to borders to browse their manga section. Plus they had an awesome cd/dvd selection.
I hope B&N doesn't go out of business as well. That would be a major blow to book lovers DX

Even if people say that it isn't the fault of ebooks/tablets/what have you, I still can't help but blame them a little. Books are the only things in this world that shouldn't be digital :/
ACen 2015 cosplay;
[Thursday]Yamada Aoi - Working!!
[Friday] Diane - Nanatsu no Taizai
[Saturday] Saria - Zelda / Agnes Oblige - Bravely Default
------------------------------------
I make gams
I love Donald Duck. I am Donald Duck.

#28 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

View PostTekoMuto, on 26 July 2011 - 05:12 AM, said:

yup that was original, i don't take kindly to plagarism ;3

My faith in humor has been slightly restored. Thank you sir.

#29 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:48 PM

View PostGabichox, on 26 July 2011 - 12:37 PM, said:

Sad sad day :/
I didn't know that ALL the borders stores would be closing. I thought it was only a few. Granted I only shop at Half Priced Books [I only read classics lol and they have old versions of books] I used to love going to borders to browse their manga section. Plus they had an awesome cd/dvd selection.
I hope B&N doesn't go out of business as well. That would be a major blow to book lovers DX

Initially it was going to be just a select few stores closing, but last week they apparently came to the conclusion (not sure if it was against their will or not) that the restructuring plan they had come up with was no longer going to be viable. Liquidation is now the only avenue left.

Even if people say that it isn't the fault of ebooks/tablets/what have you, I still can't help but blame them a little. Books are the only things in this world that shouldn't be digital :/

Actually I have no doubt that those played a factor. There was more to the situation than that of course, but the digital migration didn't help. Borders unfortunately didn't jump on the bandwagon quickly enough. While B&N isn't necessarily in great shape, they are much better off than Borders was.
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#30 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:23 PM

View Postwrexness, on 26 July 2011 - 02:48 PM, said:

Initially it was going to be just a select few stores closing, but last week they apparently came to the conclusion (not sure if it was against their will or not) that the restructuring plan they had come up with was no longer going to be viable. Liquidation is now the only avenue left.

The buyout offer failed as they believed the company doing the buyout was not intending on trying to bring Borders back up to a serviceable state as opposed to milking what was left of the company.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users