Anime Central Forums: ACEN Cosplay Fitness thread! - Anime Central Forums

• 41 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ACEN Cosplay Fitness thread! Another year, another opportunity to reach our goals!

#1171 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

View PostAgatha, on 16 February 2014 - 07:48 PM, said:

Lost 23 pounds (yay!) but I'd like to lose more. I started doing martial arts again, which helps! I also discovered MyFitnessPal and it's awesome 'cause it's just so convenient.

I've lost a lot of fat but I'd really like to build more muscle, so I'm probably gonna start lifting weights again. It's a little difficult to keep up with that because I tend to get discouraged at the absolute wimpiness of my arms, hah. Hopefully being motivated for ACen will help with that!

AWESOME! I'm totally jealous. What's your secret? ;P
Attending since 2005 • Artist Alley 2011-2016
Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#1172 User is offline   Agatha 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61511

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:19 AM

View PostJujuFox, on 16 February 2014 - 10:05 PM, said:

AWESOME! I'm totally jealous. What's your secret? ;P

Haha, thanks!

I did things gradually because I really suck at sticking with drastic changes to my lifestyle. I realized that I wasn't eating enough fruits and vegetables, so at first I decided I could eat whatever I wanted, as long as I ate at least 5 servings of fruit and vegetables every day... and I ended up losing five pounds because it turns out that when your stomach is full of vegetables there's less room to fit junk food in there. After a few weeks of that, I noticed I had a lot more energy, so I was like, "Hey! I feel good! Like, working-out good! I should go work out!" So I did... and then after a while of that I decided I wanted to get better at it, so I started counting calories.

I've tried getting in shape before, but I did everything really suddenly, and I hated it because it felt like there were too many rules all at once (I might have lingering problems with authority? :P) This way I kind of eased into it, so it's been easier to keep it up!

#1173 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:37 PM

View PostAgatha, on 17 February 2014 - 07:19 AM, said:

Haha, thanks!

I did things gradually because I really suck at sticking with drastic changes to my lifestyle. I realized that I wasn't eating enough fruits and vegetables, so at first I decided I could eat whatever I wanted, as long as I ate at least 5 servings of fruit and vegetables every day... and I ended up losing five pounds because it turns out that when your stomach is full of vegetables there's less room to fit junk food in there. After a few weeks of that, I noticed I had a lot more energy, so I was like, "Hey! I feel good! Like, working-out good! I should go work out!" So I did... and then after a while of that I decided I wanted to get better at it, so I started counting calories.

I've tried getting in shape before, but I did everything really suddenly, and I hated it because it felt like there were too many rules all at once (I might have lingering problems with authority? :P/>) This way I kind of eased into it, so it's been easier to keep it up!

That's I good way to start! I'll give it a try and see if I notice any results. Thanks for the tip!
I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#1174 User is offline   asphyxiati0n76 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 65150

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

Hi guys! This is my first cosplay and I've been looking to lose some weight so I can look the best!

I'm a vegetarian and I've been looking for some new diets and work-out regimens that actually work with me. Does anyone have any tips to lose weight in thighs/stomach/love handles? Thanks!
2014 - Nurse Akali (League of Legends) // Junko Enoshima (Danganronpa)

#1175 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:57 PM

View Postasphyxiati0n76, on 18 March 2014 - 04:36 PM, said:

Hi guys! This is my first cosplay and I've been looking to lose some weight so I can look the best!

I'm a vegetarian and I've been looking for some new diets and work-out regimens that actually work with me. Does anyone have any tips to lose weight in thighs/stomach/love handles? Thanks!

Those are the hardest areas for women to tone...and sadly, there's really no safe way to lose weight in any one specific area, especially inside of two months. The body will basically shed fat where it so desires, starting where it's easiest (such as the face). One of the best ways is by doing activities such as running, cycling, or walking. I've also had some success when doing situps/pushups in the morning, and Zumba and/or Dance Dance Revolution in the afternoon.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#1176 User is offline   KittyMayhem0916 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63628

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

View Postasphyxiati0n76, on 18 March 2014 - 04:36 PM, said:

Definitely Zumba, not only is it fun and anyone can do it, but you work EVERYTHING. I thought I'd never lose weight around my waist, thighs, and love handles. I have lost inches to the point I'm down 2 pants sizes, and I have been going for 2 and half months. However, no matter what you do, because those are the hard to trim areas, you have to be persistant, and determined. Do what you can and don't get discouraged! I went from attending 2 classes a week to doing Zumba 5-6 days a week and falling in love with it so much I'm getting ready for teaching my own classes now. If you go once or twice a week, you'll see results but as your body gets used to the exercise if you increase the amount you do it at a healthy rate, you'll see more results. I can direct you to some videos I use too if you're interested in trying it at home also. :)
Cosplay 2014 -
Amora the Enchantress
Poison Ivy
Touko Aozaki (Type Moon)
So far...

#1177 User is offline   KittyMayhem0916 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63628

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:05 PM

So this is my 2nd ACen, I like to cosplay and decided I wasn't happy with how I looked, much less how I felt so I decided to change that. I quit smoking in November. Started eating clean after last ACen, which wasn't really that hard considering I was already picky about what I did eat. In January, I decided to start exercising. I made a goal of running (not walking) the 5k Color Run this April and doing the Mudderella next year. I started interval running as soon as the snow started to thaw (in Mich, this changes by the hour) whenever it was warm enough to breathe. I also started Zumba classes twice a week. I noticed a big change in how I felt and everyone said I was looking thinner, asking me what I was doing. I increased the amount of classes I attend to 6 a week slowly and joined Fitzone for Women, where I assist my best friend with her Zumba classes now. I'm about to take my Zumba Instructor Training, and I'm excited. It's now March and I've lost 2 pants sizes. Everyone still notices my own improvement before I do, I figure it's because of my battle with eating disorders and body dysmorphia growing up, but honestly I can say at this point I am darned proud of myself and it's probably the only time I've ever noticed, much less said it, in my entire life. Still nervous about the Color Run but who cares where I finish, as long as I try.
Cosplay 2014 -
Amora the Enchantress
Poison Ivy
Touko Aozaki (Type Moon)
So far...

#1178 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

I am REALLY trying not to be lazy.
I have to have to have to get my belly a little more toned so I got one of the sweat belts to wear while I work out so I can lose more water weight.

Hoping that in the 60 days til ACen I can make an improvement that I am happy with.

Also - congrats to everyone who is achieving their goals!
A-Cen 2016: Friday Early: Hikaru Friday Late: Nightmare Moon Saturday: Wonder Woman Sunday: Hell Girl

A-cen 2015: Sailor Luna (PGSM) //// Fish Mooney //// Anthy //// Fluttershy (MLP:FIM)
A-cen 2014: Angewomon (Digimon) //// Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) //// Hikaru (Angelic Layer)
A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#1179 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:52 AM

It's almost a month left! How is everyone doing?

I went to my 3 month check up and I'm still good health wise but didn't do so well in the weigh department. Doctor had me change my diet again and now I have to add to my workout and maybe start working out with some friends. Too bad it's set for the summer. I need it now! Oh well at least I have help for the summer time.
Take A Good Look At Me

#1180 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:43 PM

My husband made me try on a bikini recently, but I'm not quite there yet. I'm trying to increase my workout difficulty and have noticed my arms getting toned, but I don't think I've lost much. I'm too scared to hop on the scale. :s

Also, I bough some delicious radishes today at Meijer! They are $1 per pound, so I grabbed a whole bunch. They make excellent snacks. :9

#1181 User is offline   TopHatShaw 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 59305

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:02 AM

I've been trying to beef up for my Jecht cosplay and I've done an okay job. Only problem is I've gained some belly fat along the way -_-. Gonna be trying to rid myself of that in the next 40 days. Hope everyone else is doing well!
Anime Planet:
http://www.anime-pla...ers/FeelTheShaw

ACen 2014: Jecht from Final Fantasy X + Hard Gay Aikurou
Instagram: TopHatShaw <---Follow me =)

FACEBook: http://www.facebook.com/SGCosplay

#1182 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:35 AM

I am now actually regularly going to the gym and it feels pretty awesome. I do a rotation between arm day and leg day. Both days also include cardio and core exercises because my core is pathetic and I can't do enough with it at a time to give it its own day yet. It feels pretty good to be serious like this.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#1183 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:31 PM

All about getting into a regular routine and sticking with it.

I always worry about getting derailed by an injury, or more commonly, a cold of some kind.

#1184 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:52 PM

I had that happen, actually. A month and a half worth of being too sick to work out. I had a few days here and there where I felt okay enough to go, but it was very sporadic and that just sucked.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#1185 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:05 PM

View Postfeuerwerke, on 07 April 2014 - 05:52 PM, said:

I had that happen, actually. A month and a half worth of being too sick to work out. I had a few days here and there where I felt okay enough to go, but it was very sporadic and that just sucked.

It has happened to me as well, but not quite that long. I spent a week at youth camp(as a counselor since I'm too to be a camper), so I was already off my normal workout routine, and then the day I got back I started coming down with a bad sinus cold that wouldn't go away. So I didn't workout for three weeks in a row.

#1186 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

Not exactly a fitness question but I didn't want to start a new thread:

Does anyone know where I can find a shaper like this: http://www.victorias...talogueType=OLS

for less than $35? I'm trying to find the best deal. And yes, it does have to to be black.
A-Cen 2016: Friday Early: Hikaru Friday Late: Nightmare Moon Saturday: Wonder Woman Sunday: Hell Girl

A-cen 2015: Sailor Luna (PGSM) //// Fish Mooney //// Anthy //// Fluttershy (MLP:FIM)
A-cen 2014: Angewomon (Digimon) //// Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) //// Hikaru (Angelic Layer)
A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)

#1187 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

View PostCrimsonAnime, on 17 April 2014 - 11:05 AM, said:

Not exactly a fitness question but I didn't want to start a new thread:

Does anyone know where I can find a shaper like this: http://www.victorias...talogueType=OLS

for less than $35? I'm trying to find the best deal. And yes, it does have to to be black.

Pretty much any department store carries these. I'm sure I've seen them at Target, and they carry Spanx brand. If you have a charge card with JC Penny's, Kohl's, etc then usually you'll have coupons you can use towards a purchase. I always get 15%, 20%, or 30% coupons for Kohl's for having a Kohl's CC.

IMHO, Victoria's Secret is overpriced. You're paying for the brand name.

#1188 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

cool. thanks.

yeah..VS is a bit cookoo..i only buy clearance stuff from them.

I'll check out those places.

#1189 User is offline   Bulma Briefs 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11893

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:30 AM

Since last ACen I'm happy to say that I lost about 20-30lbs, which I feel great and I've actually developed a really nice workout routine that I'm able to keep up with and I've been eating a lot healthier. I wanted to try a more revealing outfit this year to celebrate my newly lost weight and healthier lifestyle (plus due to my weight I never felt comfortable doing a more "sexy" cosplay).

I'm still not near where I want to finally be for my weight so I'm kinda worried about people criticizing/judging me for not being "skinny enough" for my cosplay. I wore my new cosplay (which is Bulma's bunny outfit from Dragonball) at AMKE this year and got a lot of compliments, but I'm still really self-conscious (especially when I'm standing next to another awesome Bulma cosplayer who's much thinner than me). I talk to my husband about this, but he just says I look great. I was hoping someone would maybe have some advice or inspiration that I could use to help with the self-consciousness. The only thing I kept telling myself at AMKE is "at least I got the major boobage" and thinking about how much time I spent on all the details of my cosplay, but that doesn't exactly help much when I'm wearing tights and high heels and I'm worried about my stupid thighs. I'm sorry if it seems like I'm ranting/whining over nothing.

This post has been edited by Bulma Briefs: 03 May 2014 - 06:34 AM

ACen 2014 Cosplay
Bulma Briefs - Bunny costume (Dragonball)<--Saturday

#1190 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

View PostBulma Briefs, on 03 May 2014 - 06:30 AM, said:

Since last ACen I'm happy to say that I lost about 20-30lbs, which I feel great and I've actually developed a really nice workout routine that I'm able to keep up with and I've been eating a lot healthier. I wanted to try a more revealing outfit this year to celebrate my newly lost weight and healthier lifestyle (plus due to my weight I never felt comfortable doing a more "sexy" cosplay).

I'm still not near where I want to finally be for my weight so I'm kinda worried about people criticizing/judging me for not being "skinny enough" for my cosplay. I wore my new cosplay (which is Bulma's bunny outfit from Dragonball) at AMKE this year and got a lot of compliments, but I'm still really self-conscious (especially when I'm standing next to another awesome Bulma cosplayer who's much thinner than me). I talk to my husband about this, but he just says I look great. I was hoping someone would maybe have some advice or inspiration that I could use to help with the self-consciousness. The only thing I kept telling myself at AMKE is "at least I got the major boobage" and thinking about how much time I spent on all the details of my cosplay, but that doesn't exactly help much when I'm wearing tights and high heels and I'm worried about my stupid thighs. I'm sorry if it seems like I'm ranting/whining over nothing.

Wow that's great you lost so much! You should be so proud of yourself! Wear your cosplay with confidence and pride. Bulma is a strong, bold, self sufficient person. Try to emulate her personality! When you have a confident demeanor others will take notice.

I've never been a thin person, and I'm very self conscious of my tummy. My first cosplay ever was Paine from FF-X2, and I wore a tan tank top to make sure my belly was covered. I tried to put on her strong attitude, and like a magnet people flocked to take pictures with me. I was amazed at how just changing my demeanor to hers made me seem so confident to everyone around me. It didn't matter if I wasn't skinny, or unwilling to show bare skin. They loved my hair(spiked up with way too much spray and gray temporary color), my cosplay(which my mom helped me sew together because I suck at it), my sword(that my awesome friends made for me out of foam board), and me(because I acted confident in my cosplay even though the seams in my shorts were ripping and my feet hurt in those heels and I was scared that I would see another Paine that was thinner than me). I was scared since it actually was my first time to ACen and my first time cosplaying, but I just put on a confident attitude... and it somehow worked!

So if you've put together a great outfit for a character you really like then it shouldn't matter how thick or thin you are, or what shade of skin you have, or what shape your face is, or what tattoos you might have. Be confident of who you are and wear your cosplay with pride.

#1191 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:28 AM

Well, somehow..someway, I've managed to eek my way just under 200 lbs. Should be the lightest I've been for an ACen. Gonna get a good week in of workouts to see if I can notch a couple more pounds lower perhaps.

Home stretch folks. Make it count.

#1192 User is offline   Bulma Briefs 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11893

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:50 AM

View PostJujuFox, on 03 May 2014 - 09:56 AM, said:

Wow that's great you lost so much! You should be so proud of yourself! Wear your cosplay with confidence and pride. Bulma is a strong, bold, self sufficient person. Try to emulate her personality! When you have a confident demeanor others will take notice.I've never been a thin person, and I'm very self conscious of my tummy. My first cosplay ever was Paine from FF-X2, and I wore a tan tank top to make sure my belly was covered. I tried to put on her strong attitude, and like a magnet people flocked to take pictures with me. I was amazed at how just changing my demeanor to hers made me seem so confident to everyone around me. It didn't matter if I wasn't skinny, or unwilling to show bare skin. They loved my hair(spiked up with way too much spray and gray temporary color), my cosplay(which my mom helped me sew together because I suck at it), my sword(that my awesome friends made for me out of foam board), and me(because I acted confident in my cosplay even though the seams in my shorts were ripping and my feet hurt in those heels and I was scared that I would see another Paine that was thinner than me). I was scared since it actually was my first time to ACen and my first time cosplaying, but I just put on a confident attitude... and it somehow worked!So if you've put together a great outfit for a character you really like then it shouldn't matter how thick or thin you are, or what shade of skin you have, or what shape your face is, or what tattoos you might have. Be confident of who you are and wear your cosplay with pride.

Thank you so much for the advice! I'm hoping to rock my cosplay proud! ^_^/> The only thing I'm worried about now is how warm it will be.

View Postrondo, on 05 May 2014 - 07:28 AM, said:

Well, somehow..someway, I've managed to eek my way just under 200 lbs. Should be the lightest I've been for an ACen. Gonna get a good week in of workouts to see if I can notch a couple more pounds lower perhaps. Home stretch folks. Make it count.

Congratulations on getting under the 200 lb mark!! It's my goal at the moment and I'm getting really close.
ACen 2014 Cosplay
Bulma Briefs - Bunny costume (Dragonball)<--Saturday

#1193 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

Welp, I could've done better I feel like, but it's better than nothing. I think I'm seeing a little bit more muscle definition in my shoulders and quads. A lot of the "fat" I'm still stuck with is actually loose skin and there's nothing I can do about it until my upcoming surgery to remove it, sadly.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#1194 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:05 AM

Here's to hoping folks are sticking with it or getting it into gear. Registration start always looked like a good time to get the fitness into high gear.

As for myself, surprisingly after DragonCon, I'm down to 179½. Very close to my ultimate goal of 175. I may tweak it down a little more once I hit it.

#1195 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:25 PM

Yo. So I've started doing the Stronglift 5x5 program along with the other stuff I do at the gym. This should be interesting. Right now my goal is to be able to bench more than just the bar ='|
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#1196 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:23 PM

I just started a new job with an hour drive, so I'm still trying to find time to workout! I was doing so good until July hit. :<

Glad to see others haven't forgotten to stay in shape. Let's keep this thread going!

#1197 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:07 AM

There's nothing quite like all the folks who see and mention that you've lost weight.

#1198 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:17 PM

So now that my little brother is back to school I can start working out again!
Take A Good Look At Me

#1199 User is offline   Fantasia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63205

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:45 AM

bringing this back because of reasons.
I am happy to say that I have lost some weight, but I still need to lose a bit more!
So to all those who are working at it or want to start...go for it! you can do it!
ACen COSPLAYS 2015:

OFFICIAL LINE-UP:
Friday: Taiga Aisaka, Toradora (100% done)
Saturday: Sugar, OFF by Mortis Ghost (90% done)
Sunday: Pink Lolita Coord (80% complete, will buy 20% at con)

#1200 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:58 AM

For last 4 or so years I kept telling myself I need to lose some weight for my cosplays...AND THIS YEAR I FINALLY DID IT. *fist pump* It was only 10 pounds, but that little bit made a huge difference on my body. My stomach is flatter, and my new pants I'd just bought for work won't stay up anymore! xD

Now I'd just really like to tone up, especially my abs since my stomach will be showing a lot this year. But knowing that I'm absolutely terrible at following an exercise routine (lost all the weight just by counting calories very strictly), I took a totally unorthodox route and signed up for a pole dancing class xD One of my friends has been doing it and loves it, so I figured it was worth a shot. I've only had 1 class so far, but it kicked my butt! It's entirely possible to be a skinny person and be 5000% out of shape @.@ So doing that once a week for the next 7 weeks, and we'll see if that tones me any by ACen!
ACen 2017 Plans
Maki Nishikino (Little Devil) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 90%
Maki Nishikino (Sunny Day Song) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 90%
Rider [Fate/Stay Night] 0%
Zen (Spicy Jalapeno) [Mystic Messenger] 100%
Christophe Giacometti (Rapsodie Espagnole) [Yuri!!! on Ice] 40%

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takahashi Cosplay

• 41 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic