Anime Central Forums: Toddlers and Tiaras - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Toddlers and Tiaras I can't be the only one who has a problem with this show.

#1 User is offline   Steam_Loli216 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 59481

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:50 AM

I'm no Psychologist. I have minimal schooling in psychology and sociology, but I still think there is something wrong with the people of that show.
They're starting a new season of it on TLC (I think it's TLC, at least) pretty soon, and I'm appalled.
First of all, little girls shouldn't be subjected to that sort of world with all the premature glamor. And oh my god, their nasty little attitudes. uhg.
I think what pisses me off the most are the parents and the people who support them.

A crowd of grown ups, cheering on little girls in foofy outfits on stage? yeah, not weird at all...

My little sister, who's 5 saw the commercial and said "oh my gosh, that little girl looks old. she looks so mean."

Luckily she's smart enough to realize how unhealthy that lifestyle is.

Thoughts?
User is stationed in Southern California

It's a girl! Skylar Marie, born February 8th, 2013 :) Proud mama and wife and sailor

~~Dream Cosplays: -- Fai D. Flourite (Tsubasa) -- Dr. Jezebel Disraeli (Godchild) -- Seth Nightroad and Lady Asran (Trinity Blood) -- Lettuce (Tokyo Mew Mew) -- Misha (Pita Ten) -- Starfire (Teen Titans)~~

#2 User is offline   Tashigi2526 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 39201

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:36 AM

Yeah, the kids on that show all have the worst attitudes. And the parents aren't much better. They encourage their kids to act like spoiled divas. I saw part of an episode once where one of the moms gave her kid a bunch of candy and soda to keep the kid's energy up, and then she couldn't understand why the child was hyperactive and throwing temper tantrums for the rest of the day.
Cosplays
ACen 2009: Tashigi (from One Piece)
ACen 2010/2011: Rob Lucci (One Piece) CP9 and Galley-La versions
ACen 2012/2013: Peter White/the White Rabbit (Alice in the Country of Hearts)
ACen 2014: Trafalgar Law (One Piece) and possibly Peter White/the White Rabbit (Alice in the Country of Hearts) again

#3 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:39 AM

I've only seen a single promo for the show and was disgusted. There is something seriously wrong with those parents.
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#4 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:07 PM

I can't stand that show. It sickens me how spoiled these brats are. The parents are no better either because they encourage it.

Have you seen this new show "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding"? It just started on Monday. It is crazy how huge and dangerous these dresses were! This one girl was 7 years old and wore a huge foofoo dress for her communion that weighed twice as much as she does and the dresses causes these girls to get scars and cuts.

This post has been edited by Lina: 02 June 2011 - 12:08 PM

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#5 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:40 PM

Parents living vicariously (sp?) through their children. Reminds me of that JonBenet Ramsey girl. Not so much the murder though.

#6 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:43 PM

I've never actually watched the show, though I have a feeling I'd be amused by it. (Not saying it's right or anything, just that it'd probably be amusing watching the moms bicker and whatnot) What scares me though is how much the girls look like little porcelain dolls. Because they're so young they're faces are essentially flawless...it scares me. And it's so sad that their mothers are introducing them to make-up and stuff so early. These girls will grow up to have a laundry list of issues. Being mean and lacking self confidence will definitely be near the list of those lists.

And while thisthis picture is sad, please tell me I'm not the only one who laughed a little? xD Who dresses their kid like that? What kid AGREES to wear that? Definitely feel sorry for the little girls...
ACen 2017 Plans
Maki Nishikino (Little Devil) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 90%
Maki Nishikino (Sunny Day Song) [Love Live! School Idol Project] 90%
Rider [Fate/Stay Night] 0%
Zen (Spicy Jalapeno) [Mystic Messenger] 100%
Christophe Giacometti (Rapsodie Espagnole) [Yuri!!! on Ice] 10%

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takahashi Cosplay

#7 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 11087

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:30 PM

Child pageantry has to be some form of child abuse.
It's just wrong.
The family's realization at the end of the movie Little Miss Sunshine says it all.
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

#8 User is offline   Aiko☆Noble 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 22845

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:07 PM

I just... agree with everyone ITT.

These parents are out of their minds. Their children have their entire lives to
wear makeup and act like bitches and attention hos. WHY force them to start
at such a young age? Let them experience their innocent, carefree childhoods!

Edit: Lol censor. X_X

This post has been edited by Aiko☆Noble: 02 June 2011 - 03:08 PM

ACen '12
Gamzee Makara (Homestuck)
Prospit!Gamzee (Homestuck)
God Tier!John (Homestuck)

#9 User is offline   OtakuAngelD 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59232

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:16 PM

I don't think it's a good idea at all. Let kids be kids for a while longer. Just recently, there was a woman who got arrested because she injected her 7 year old. Yes. I said 7. With Botox, so she wouldn't have wrinkles for her big pagent. Then again, I have issues with pagents anyway. Mostly the fact that every pagent I have seen is teaming with size zeros with fake tans and fake boobs and too much makeup. How abotu a pagent for "real woman". Size 12, no plastic surgery or injections. A NATURAL BEAUTY CONTEST.

Right...I forgot. This is the real world. A big girl can dream though.
2015 Cosplay
Mondo Oowada - DanganRonpa
Tsukishima Kei - Haikyuu
Atobe Keigo - Prince of Tennis
Mankanshoku Mako - Kill la Kill if it gets done on time

#10 User is offline   Steam_Loli216 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:05 PM

I've seen beauty pageants for girls with tattoos and all that... and they weren't all super skinny.
But regardless, beauty pageants in general are stupid in my opinion. Sorry the rest of the world wasn't born with chiseled cheekbones, but I'm not about to worship you!

It's a girl! Skylar Marie, born February 8th, 2013 :) Proud mama and wife and sailor

~~Dream Cosplays: -- Fai D. Flourite (Tsubasa) -- Dr. Jezebel Disraeli (Godchild) -- Seth Nightroad and Lady Asran (Trinity Blood) -- Lettuce (Tokyo Mew Mew) -- Misha (Pita Ten) -- Starfire (Teen Titans)~~

#11 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:21 PM

Child beauty pageants: Because high standards start early.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#12 User is offline   tfcreate 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 115

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:40 PM

I'm associated with a con that promotes underage drinking and drug use. I'm in no position to judge.
Decide on your masters, people, for you cannot serve both. Either be an anime con or be a 3-day frat party. (I'm Done with ACen.)
Those who can't be bothered with the little things can't be trusted with the big ones.... ~Larry Bell-Founder of the Bell Aircraft Co.
Any fool can learn from his own mistakes. The wise learn from the mistakes of others....~ Democritus
Posers worry about how they look when they take pictures, shooters worry about the how you look when they shoot.
ACen and cosplay photos
How I Spent ACen 04' Making these.....
(2012)
Next Photoshoot~ Anime Iowa

#13 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:12 PM

View PostLina, on 02 June 2011 - 12:07 PM, said:

I can't stand that show. It sickens me how spoiled these brats are. The parents are no better either because they encourage it.

Have you seen this new show "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding"? It just started on Monday. It is crazy how huge and dangerous these dresses were! This one girl was 7 years old and wore a huge foofoo dress for her communion that weighed twice as much as she does and the dresses causes these girls to get scars and cuts.

My real issue with the Gypsy show has to do with how TLC could use their footage to make a serious statement about the prejudices Traveller s' face today. Instead, they portray them as some strange form of Jersey Shore race and only show the overly indulgent ceremonies.

Back on subject though. Those shows are disgusting but I'm happy to know that most of the people watching are appalled by it. Yet, if they simply didn't watch the show would die due to lack of ratings.
2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Honoka-Dead or Alive Last Roumd
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#14 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:29 PM

View Posttfcreate, on 02 June 2011 - 08:40 PM, said:

I'm associated with a con that promotes underage drinking and drug use. I'm in no position to judge.

Explain to me where Anime Central or MAPS promotes this. Is there something in the fine print?
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#15 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 20031

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:32 PM

I tried to watch an episode, I just ended up turning it off. I weep for humanity.

View Posttfcreate, on 02 June 2011 - 08:40 PM, said:

I'm slightly curious about this statement too.
~~

#16 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:22 AM

View PostOtakuAngelD, on 02 June 2011 - 04:16 PM, said:

I don't think it's a good idea at all. Let kids be kids for a while longer. Just recently, there was a woman who got arrested because she injected her 7 year old. Yes. I said 7. With Botox, so she wouldn't have wrinkles for her big pagent. Then again, I have issues with pagents anyway. Mostly the fact that every pagent I have seen is teaming with size zeros with fake tans and fake boobs and too much makeup. How abotu a pagent for "real woman". Size 12, no plastic surgery or injections. A NATURAL BEAUTY CONTEST.

Right...I forgot. This is the real world. A big girl can dream though.

That is sick. You don't have wrinkles when you're 7! That poor girl is going to be f-ed up for life. (Not because of the injection, but because her mother is teaching her she NEEDS the injections/make-up/etc to be pretty/worth something)
This would be a wonderful miracle. A pageant only for girls who are 100% real and natural. No make-up/boob jobs/plastic surgery. Only people sizes 5 and up. But of course that'll never happen. Where's the fun in a beauty pageant without a bunch of stuck-up pretty girls all trying to sabotage each other? -_-
ACen 2017 Plans

#17 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:54 AM

Anyone who doesn't love that show is just an ugly loser who's jealous of these toddlers' success. I'd give my left arm to have the complexion of one of those little sprites. And their poise on stage? Simply breathtaking.

This post has been edited by YoungBirdcall: 03 June 2011 - 10:15 AM

"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#18 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 7072
  • Location:Mississippi then New Jersey. Might make ACen 2018 :D

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:02 AM

op's name is steam loli

steam loli

loli

/thread
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

#19 User is offline   Steam_Loli216 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:29 AM

View PostTekoMuto, on 03 June 2011 - 10:02 AM, said:

op's name is steam loli

steam loli

loli

/thread

What?

#20 User is offline   Steam_Loli216 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:38 AM

View PostWashu Takahashi, on 03 June 2011 - 07:22 AM, said:

That is sick. You don't have wrinkles when you're 7! That poor girl is going to be f-ed up for life. (Not because of the injection, but because her mother is teaching her she NEEDS the injections/make-up/etc to be pretty/worth something)
This would be a wonderful miracle. A pageant only for girls who are 100% real and natural. No make-up/boob jobs/plastic surgery. Only people sizes 5 and up. But of course that'll never happen. Where's the fun in a beauty pageant without a bunch of stuck-up pretty girls all trying to sabotage each other? -_-

I'm a size 6, but I'm super tall so people call me a skinny b**** and all that. And everything on me is real!!! :D
I honestly don't think those super skinny models are pretty.
And putting all that make up on those little girls just makes them look creepy!

#21 User is offline   Aiko☆Noble 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 22845

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:03 AM

View PostSteam_Loli216, on 03 June 2011 - 10:29 AM, said:

What?

http://www.urbandict...e.php?term=loli

That natural girl pageant sounds awesome. I would LOVE to see cute
little girls in outfits of their own choosing, being all cute and
carefree. THAT'S something I would love to watch! :D

ACen '12
Gamzee Makara (Homestuck)
Prospit!Gamzee (Homestuck)
God Tier!John (Homestuck)

#22 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 1495

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:53 AM

Thats worse than MTVs Teen Mom. When I see things like this it makes me wonder why child services are getting involved. At what point do the people behind the cameras reach in and say, "This is going too far." In both cases for the network and parents its about the $$$
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:
MST3k Mike Nelson & Crow-Friday
Team Fortress 2 Medic-Saturday

#23 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:33 PM

View PostSteam_Loli216, on 03 June 2011 - 10:38 AM, said:

I'm a size 6, but I'm super tall so people call me a skinny b**** and all that. And everything on me is real!!! :DI honestly don't think those super skinny models are pretty. And putting all that make up on those little girls just makes them look creepy!

Whoots! I'm usually 5-7 depending on the clothing. But I'm not like unhealthy skinny or anything :P There's a decent layer of fat keeping people from seeing my ribs! And I agree completely. Like, yes, skinny is good, but when you practically look like a skeleton walking around? I'd rather not see anyone's ribs sticking out 3inches further than their stomach.

View PostAiko☆Noble, on 03 June 2011 - 11:03 AM, said:

That natural girl pageant sounds awesome. I would LOVE to see cute little girls in outfits of their own choosing, being all cute andcarefree. THAT'S something I would love to watch! :D

I was imagining it with older girls, but picturing it with little girls sounds adorable! They'd get to be all cute, no make-up necessary. And then they could have normal little girl talents...like attempting to sing or something lol. I haven't watched T&T but I have a feeling the talents are probably ridiculous.

View Postexcel excel, on 03 June 2011 - 11:53 AM, said:

Thats worse than MTVs Teen Mom. When I see things like this it makes me wonder why child services are getting involved. At what point do the people behind the cameras reach in and say, "This is going too far." In both cases for the network and parents its about the $$$

Well technically it's not child abuse, unfortunately. They're feeding, clothing, and housing the child. Sure, they're screwing them over mentally...but I don't think child protective services can be brought it for mental damaging...especially when the kids probably think they're in heaven and SOOOO much better than their peers.
ACen 2017 Plans

#24 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:45 PM

My mom's watched this show for a bit. I'll never understand why.
I agree, it's ridiculous. I admit, some of the kids on the show weren't all that bad, but most of them were bratty, whiny, and the parents just encouraged it. And honestly, I really don't know HOW you can get your child to do such a thing. x.x

And yeah, I remember watching the news story on the mom giving her kid botox. That was just sick - the last thing a 7-year-old should be injected with is botox.
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (60%; Fairy Tail)
Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series), Pearl (100%; Steven Universe)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#25 User is offline   Steam_Loli216 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:35 AM

Where I live, we have a festival every August called the Sweet Corn Fest (yeah, I live sorta out in the middle of nowhere) and they have a Sweet Corn Queen and Mini Queen pageant. The mini queen pageant is so cute because the girls are about 5 and they come out in a nice dress, holding a balloon, and they answer a question (about what they like about our town, ect) and the answers are so cute and unrehearsed! :D and half of the time their hair gets messed up before they get up there. It's sooooo darn cute.

I don't like the older queen pageant (for girls who just graduated highschool) because they pick awful girls.
There should be audience participation so we can point out which ones don't deserve to be up there.
BUT I did get asked to be in it last year. (good grades, school involvement) I said no. I'm no beauty queen whatsoever.

#26 User is offline   sweetbeanpaste 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 33071

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:14 PM

I wasn't under the impression that the show glorified it. I always figured that toddlers and Tiaras was more of a "look at how terrible these parents are!" sort of thing. Never watched it though.
Currently Watching: Supernatural | Currently Constructing: n/a | Currently Playing: n/a | Next Con: DragonCon 2012?
---

~2012: Friday Cosplay- Vriska Serket(Make Her Pay)/Homestuck [100%] | Saturday Cosplay- Princess Zelda/Wind Waker [100%] | Sunday Cosplay- GLaDOS/Portal 2 [100%]
~2011: Saturday Cosplay- Suigintou/Rozen Maiden [100%] [x] | Sunday Cosplay- Kallen Kozuki/Code Geass (Black Knights) [100%] [x]
~2010: Saturday Cosplay- Princess Rosalina/Super Mario Galaxy [100%] [x] | Sunday Cosplay- San/Princess Mononoke [95%] [x]
~2009: Saturday Cosplay- Kouno Tohru/Princess Princess [100%] [x] | Sunday Outfit- Neko [100%]
Other Cosplays Include: Rose Lalonde/Homestuck, Sakura Haruno/Naruto, Random Quidditch Player/Harry Potter, Trace/Onward Bound, Marceline/Adventure Time, Dead Shuffle Jade Harley/Homestuck, Dog Tier Jade Harley/Homestuck, and Dress of Eclectica Jade Harley/Homestuck.
I do have a Facebook! I do commission! Shoot me a message!

#27 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:42 PM

View Postsweetbeanpaste, on 05 June 2011 - 05:14 PM, said:

I wasn't under the impression that the show glorified it. I always figured that toddlers and Tiaras was more of a "look at how terrible these parents are!" sort of thing. Never watched it though.

Which in and of itself gives these parents what they want. Not only are they getting the local attention, they're getting it nationally now too.

This post has been edited by wrexness: 05 June 2011 - 07:43 PM

2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#28 User is offline   sweetbeanpaste 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 33071

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:09 PM

View Postwrexness, on 05 June 2011 - 07:42 PM, said:

Which in and of itself gives these parents what they want. Not only are they getting the local attention, they're getting it nationally now too.

which is depressing, to say the least
Currently Watching: Supernatural | Currently Constructing: n/a | Currently Playing: n/a | Next Con: DragonCon 2012?
---

~2012: Friday Cosplay- Vriska Serket(Make Her Pay)/Homestuck [100%] | Saturday Cosplay- Princess Zelda/Wind Waker [100%] | Sunday Cosplay- GLaDOS/Portal 2 [100%]
~2011: Saturday Cosplay- Suigintou/Rozen Maiden [100%] [x] | Sunday Cosplay- Kallen Kozuki/Code Geass (Black Knights) [100%] [x]
~2010: Saturday Cosplay- Princess Rosalina/Super Mario Galaxy [100%] [x] | Sunday Cosplay- San/Princess Mononoke [95%] [x]
~2009: Saturday Cosplay- Kouno Tohru/Princess Princess [100%] [x] | Sunday Outfit- Neko [100%]
Other Cosplays Include: Rose Lalonde/Homestuck, Sakura Haruno/Naruto, Random Quidditch Player/Harry Potter, Trace/Onward Bound, Marceline/Adventure Time, Dead Shuffle Jade Harley/Homestuck, Dog Tier Jade Harley/Homestuck, and Dress of Eclectica Jade Harley/Homestuck.
I do have a Facebook! I do commission! Shoot me a message!

#29 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:47 AM

View Postsweetbeanpaste, on 05 June 2011 - 05:14 PM, said:

I've never actually watched the show, but I was under the opposite impression. No one wants to watch a show about bad parents (except supernanny!). People want DRAMA. So I assume this show focuses much more on drama than bad parents. And the worst part? Assuming it does focus on drama, that means there will be even MORE drama than if this wasn't televised. Drama is always played up when these types of people know they'll be on tv.
ACen 2017 Plans

#30 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:51 AM

I do think its funny that we can't exploit people for science, but for entertainment value? Oh hell yeah!
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users