Anime Central Forums: A Suggestion on preventing Hyatt Elevator Build-Up - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

A Suggestion on preventing Hyatt Elevator Build-Up From a 4-yr con goer

#1 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:03 PM

Hello all!

I come to offer a possible suggestion as to how to reduce Elevator issues at the Hyatt.

Elevator Passes!

Now - detailed explanation.

1) What is the problem?
- Aside from too many people crowding on to a small elevator, I think the biggest problem is the waiting time to catch an empty elevator period. From what I've noticed people going to the 3rd or 4th floor - who are clearly able to walk the stairs - often crowd on to an elevator and therefore take up room for people on higher floors who have less choice to take the stairs. I have also noticed the people that get on an elevator going in the opposite direction that they want to go just to get a space. And finally - the problem of the street level and lobby level. With two "base" loading floors one floor is almost always given the short end of the stick because of having to see a full elevator open but no one get out.

2) What would the Elevator Passes be?
- According to my thinking Elevator Passes would be Hyatt issued cards (think business cards) that are issued among check in. Here's how they would work: Upon checking in, a room owner would be given a room number. For those who are receiving a room higher than the 5th floor, along with their keys, they would be given elevator passes that would have the floor number and the Hyatt employee's name. These passes would then allow NON CHECKING-IN/CHECKING-OUT con attendees that reside in the Hyatt a chance to get first pick for the elevators. Those on the floors 3-5 CAN board but only after all boarders with passes have boarded. Because the 5th floor is only 3 landings from the Lobby Level I think this is fair.

HOWEVER - I do know that some cosplays prevent people taking the stairs and that some people are not able to take the stairs due to medical issues. For things like this Special ACEN Elevator Passes would be offered via the special needs department. Con goers with hard to move in cosplays (armor, long dresses, big pieces etc) that need the elevator to get to their rooms would go to Special Needs and request a 1-day Elevator Pass for that day (they cannot be received in advance). After passing an examination of Acen Staff's choosing they would be given the pass which like the Hyatt issued pass would state the room floor, and have an Acen Staffers name. It would also list the cosplay and the reasons for having the pass to prevent people that change out of that cosplay from using it.

Those with Medical needs would do the same and receive an Acen pass that along with floor number and staffer name would list the medical issue and why they were issued the pass.

- In order for this to work the following would need to be enacted:
1) 1 or 2 IRT posted at the elevators on the Lobby Level checking passes before people board. It may take time but it will make sure that people with a room on floor 10 don't have to wait 30+ minutes for an elevator.
2) 1 or 2 IRT posted at the Street Level stopping con goers from boarding elevators here. This would stop full elevators coming to the Lobby Level and allow more people to board quickly.

I came up with this on the fly and tried to make it plausible and efficient because I noticed the problems. If anyone has suggestions or reasons this won't work please please please speak up. I'd love to see an end to the over-filled elevators and long waiting lines.
A-Cen 2016: Friday Early: Hikaru Friday Late: Nightmare Moon Saturday: Wonder Woman Sunday: Hell Girl

A-cen 2015: Sailor Luna (PGSM) //// Fish Mooney //// Anthy //// Fluttershy (MLP:FIM)
A-cen 2014: Angewomon (Digimon) //// Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) //// Hikaru (Angelic Layer)
A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#2 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6522

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:46 PM

View PostCrimsonAnime, on 25 May 2011 - 09:03 PM, said:

Elevator Passes!

Interesting idea. I wish we could use it. But just like the smoking areas, the elevators are Hyatt's property, not ours. It remains Hyatt's decision what, if anything, is to be done about it. Send them your idea. Who knows, they might listen. Here's where you contact them. http://www.hyatt.com...recent-stay.jsp
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#3 User is offline   davebb 

• EMRT DH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 11282

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:00 AM

I like you CrimsonAnime. You broke down the issue into problem and possible resolution and gave great details. Maybe not totally doable within our capacity as Smokey said, but I like you because you think it though instead of just posting a complaint and the resolutions are very reasonable (just comes down to having ALL the stakeholders take charge). You should join staff :)
Medic 1 : ACen 2017 EMRT Department Head (serving since 2008)
Dave Bukowski -- NREMT-B
EMT-B / EMA
"ask not what ACen can do for you--ask what you can do for ACen"

#4 User is offline   SJAkarma22 

• Akwardly Insane
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 59852

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:20 AM

At Anime Detour here in Minnesota the elevators have security outside making sure that only 6 people or however many they have as their limit get on and have level 1 for people getting off and level 2 for people getting on that way it keeps from people getting too bunched up on both levels but that wouldn't help at the Hyatt with all the levels unless an IRT was in the elevator...? Just an fyi/ another thought.
As long as there is Trust, there is Betrayal
I will lay at your feet while you rule the world

CONLIST:
ANIME CENTRAL April 27-29 2012-ANIME DETOUR June 30 -July 1 2012

#5 User is offline   animedancer87 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60544

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:47 AM

Cool idea. But once again, that's Hyatt's territory. Always wonder how non-ACEN attendees deal with the elevator hassle...
http://www.twitter.com/animedancer87
http://feteshadowns.wordpress.com
http://www.youtube.com/animedancer87

I'm quiet by nature, but honestly won't chop your head off if you have a question.

#6 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

Good idea but wondering does the Hyatt do anything about this in general or pass the buck to Anime central staff in general?
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#7 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:38 PM

I am so glad that people seem to like this idea and I want to take the time for individual response:

@ Smokey - I will take you up on that and see if I can get them to use such an idea. I hope they will consider it though because it will cut down on broken elevators which means less money they have to put out.

@davebb - Thank you for the compliment. It means alot to me to have staff notice one of the little people. As for joining staff - it's something I look into for when I am done going to acen for acen and want to go to help keep it awesome but right now..i've only been there for 4 years and have only recently gotten the hang on the convention. I think there is a lot more for me to experience.

@SJAkarma22 - having someone posted in the elevators at all times would take up space of one extra person and take up 4 IRT which since they are short staffed would probably be a HUGE hit to their numbers. It might be something worth doing if IRT can get more volunteers though.

@animedancer87 - I have actually always thought that as well and have come up with two solutions. 1 - they are all on the 2nd and 3rd floors and just take the stairs or 2 - they just stay in their rooms to avoid the madness that is acen.

@The Fujoshi - do you mean does Hyatt staff do anything about elevators? IDK...I think they have their hands full with running the whole hotel that trying to keep an eye on how people are using the elevators might not come first.
A-Cen 2016: Friday Early: Hikaru Friday Late: Nightmare Moon Saturday: Wonder Woman Sunday: Hell Girl

A-cen 2015: Sailor Luna (PGSM) //// Fish Mooney //// Anthy //// Fluttershy (MLP:FIM)
A-cen 2014: Angewomon (Digimon) //// Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) //// Hikaru (Angelic Layer)
A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)

#8 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:33 AM

Finally got around to submitting this to the Hyatt. Here's hoping they take it into consideration

#9 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:44 PM

Well I mean in cases such as the elevators breaking down :/

I always wondered why the Hyatt isn't prepare for the rush of cosplayers when this event comes by lol.

and good luck with your submission report!
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#10 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:42 PM

I have actually thought the same thing in general about the elevators in this new building. Granted I never saw the old layout so these could be miles better but...it seems to me...that if you are going to have a hotel next to a convention center...that will most likely be used for conventions...should you make the elevators bigger? Elevators that can EASILY house 10 people? The current elevators each house 7 people squished in. I know. I've counted. At 10 its unbearable. So when all 4 work....a max of only 28 people can go up and down at a time..that's...just sad to me.

But i hope my suggestion at least helps with what they have now. I've heard back from the first round of people and they just thanked me and said the message has been passed on so I look forward to bringing this thread good news.

#11 User is offline   Zerox20 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 1323

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:23 PM

To answer some questions here...

I am sure the Hyatt knows 100% about the Elevators. The main issue is as in other threads is just people overfill them. You just can't change how the Elevator works, it has the max limit, thats why it fails. It never fails due to use, merely to overfilling etc. The Hyatt pretty much leaves most of the convention stuff to us. They will assist with things like Water in rooms, chairs, setting up/breaking down rooms as we need them etc. As far as posting people at elevators and such, that would strictly be our thing not the Hyatts. I do urge you to send suggestions to the Hyatt regarding the elevators though as they specified above.

Lets be realistic here, with over 20K people, their will never be an elevator solution that works in my opinion. Stairs will be your friend. If we can start doing a lot of main programming in Convention Center hopefully it will make the Hotel more where people just stay and keep some of the traffic down.
Jared "Zerox20" Sangeorzan - Panel Programming ADH - ACen 2003/Present
E: panelprogramming@ACen.org ||

#12 User is offline   Haiiro 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 14662

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:10 AM

I would absolutely be in favour of this plan, Crimson. My group and I have long ago resigned ourselves to having to beat feet on the stairs for the entire weekend, thanks to the horrendous evelator issues. Too many times have I had to pull a make-yourself-as-small-as-possible in order to fit, and the times I've been in costume? Forget about it.

Sadly, I have to agree that it seems any solution may be hard to achieve given the staffer/congoer ratio; even dedicated staffers doing their very best are outnumbered more than guards in a prison, so being able to post pass checkers at the elevators at all times seems nigh-impossible to me at this point.

I sincerely hope to be proven wrong, and that the Hyatt's people will step up and adopt these new policies. As others have pointed out, in the end it'll save them on both man hours and repair bills.
Cosplays:
Kazu - .Hack (Finished, in-use)
Kayuki Hirasaka "Black Swan" - The Record of a Fallen Vampire (95% finished, in-use)
Celty Sturluson - Durarara!! (0% finished)
Tsukasa Amou (Israfel ver.) - Aquarian Age: Juvenile Orion (0% finished)
Agito Wanijima - Air Gear (0% finished)

"I was wise enough to never grow up while fooling most people into believing I had." -Margaret Mead

#13 User is offline   Ervyla 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 59380

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:21 PM

One problem with passes based on floor level, besides the realization that people will overcrowd anyway, is that con-goers aren't the only people that stay at the hotel that weekend and it is next to impossible for the Hyatt to discern who is not involved in order to give them passes. Great idea though.

This post has been edited by Ervyla: 08 August 2011 - 02:23 PM

Rosalina (Super Mario Galaxy) 2010
Malon (Legend of Zelda - OOT) 2011
River Song (Doctor Who) 2012
OC 2013
Zora Link ( Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess) 2014
Lorelei (Pokemon) 2015

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users