• This topic is locked

Groped and Offended

#91 User is offline   rlissau 

• ACen Guest
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Guest
  • Member No.: 18082

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:06 AM

Hey, folks. Acen guest Russell Lissau here. In my day job, I'm a newspaper reporter in illinois and I write quite a bit about cops and crime. I'm also a parent.

And stories about con guests grabbing or groping each other, or touching each other in ways that are not appreciated, enrage me.

If someone does this to you, CALL THE POLICE IMMEDIATELY. Take the offender's photo with your camera, or ask someone to do so. If you can, seek assistance from friends or witnesses.

These actions are criminal. Don't accept them. EVER.

#92 User is offline   kitsune red 

• ADA Compliance
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 36791

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

I thoroughly agree do not make excuses for it or believe your costume was too short, sexy, or anything. It is a criminal offense.

#93 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:01 AM

@chanined: Do you think you could find out about vocal harrassment as well? Like if someone started to make some advance towards a person in a way that could be seen as sexual but not phyisically touching them?
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#94 User is offline   MasterHavik 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61571

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:08 AM

Wow...that sucks. The Acen I went to last year.(It was my first time going). I made friends with two models hug a dude(he was doing to everyone. no homo.) and hug hot Panty and Stocking cosplayers. Well, I did get my nibble rub by a Deadpool cosplayer, but it was funny and he was cool about it.
Ummm....I'm going to take you to court!

#95 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:24 AM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 18 March 2012 - 02:01 AM, said:

@chanined: Do you think you could find out about vocal harrassment as well? Like if someone started to make some advance towards a person in a way that could be seen as sexual but not phyisically touching them?

Anything y'all want to know/have answered for sure, go ahead and ask away & I'll do my best to relay everything.

Just, ah..... Find out what about vocal harassment (did you mean verbal harassment?)? You mean, to..vocally...advance towards..? O.o)a ....Can you maybe please rephrase and/or clarify what you meant? (; A;) ? I'm really not sure what you're asking -- what kind of advance (dirty words? leering? touching themselves in front of you? something totally different?) do you mean? Are you meaning like if they say something that could be taken sexually (ie "that's what she said" / "hey bby wanna take a ride in my mecha? ;D" / *cue 2538476 other lame dirty pickup lines*), or do you mean maybe taking physical motion towards (ie walking towards with a perved expression or gestures?), or miming sexual acts, or....something? Unless you're meaning stuff like verbal pestering and/or threats of sexual nature, maybe? ....I'm really sorry, but I'm just not sure at all right now what you mean, or what you're asking me to find out about. (I think it's the "vocal" and "advance" words confusing me?)... I'm reading it, but it's just not computing; I really am sorry 'bout that .__. (I'll read your post over again upon morn wake-up though; maybe I'm just too tired to compute? brain atm: guh hur bleh derrrr).

It's all good though right now (better now than later, & if thinking it, ask away; I'll be on a few minutes longer tonight & later before I contact), as I learned the hard way it's, uh, kinda hard to finagle a Q&A with police on St. Patrick's Day (uberfail on my part; didn't even realize that was today 'til around 3pm when my sister started going on about watching the river dye [which I of course heard as "watching the river die" & assumed horrible Doctor Who spoilers; fail.]... >.>;). On the bright side, day /after/ St. Patty's is a lot less crazy and busy, so I shouldn't have to worry about that aspect.
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#96 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

I have an answer for that.

If you find yourself being sexually harrassed (physically or vocally) by anyone, inform IRT immediately. This is especially important if it involves physical contact...gods forbid that should ever happen to anyone, but we do have very very VERY strict procedures on how to handle incidents such as this.

This particular offense is one that we DO NOT take lightly at all. Period. I am stressing this with all due seriousness and then some.

If you don't see any IRT members nearby, call the IRT hotline. I will be checking soon to see if the number is still the same for this year.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#97 User is offline   Oyuki 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 58998

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

I'll definitely have it on speed dial 8-)
2011: C.C.
2012: Moka Akashiya / (Bunny)Sebastian Michaelis
2013: ??? / White Rabbit Sebastian / Nurse Akali / Cosmo?

ermahgerd ferceberk

#98 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61343

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

Vocal harassment would be incessant cat-calling, shouting at the person ("Hey baby, you look hot." "Wanna come up to my hotel room?" Etc etc), following someone around and constantly telling him/her that she/he is super hot, etc. Even someone who's following you around and won't leave when asked could rightfully be accused of harassment, and should be.
"Men's hearts hold shadows darker than any tainted creature."

#99 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

View Postchainedbyroses, on 18 March 2012 - 04:24 AM, said:

Anything y'all want to know/have answered for sure, go ahead and ask away & I'll do my best to relay everything.

Just, ah..... Find out what about vocal harassment (did you mean verbal harassment?)? You mean, to..vocally...advance towards..? O.o)a ....Can you maybe please rephrase and/or clarify what you meant? (; A;) ? I'm really not sure what you're asking -- what kind of advance (dirty words? leering? touching themselves in front of you? something totally different?) do you mean? Are you meaning like if they say something that could be taken sexually (ie "that's what she said" / "hey bby wanna take a ride in my mecha? ;D" / *cue 2538476 other lame dirty pickup lines*), or do you mean maybe taking physical motion towards (ie walking towards with a perved expression or gestures?), or miming sexual acts, or....something? Unless you're meaning stuff like verbal pestering and/or threats of sexual nature, maybe? ....I'm really sorry, but I'm just not sure at all right now what you mean, or what you're asking me to find out about. (I think it's the "vocal" and "advance" words confusing me?)... I'm reading it, but it's just not computing; I really am sorry 'bout that .__. (I'll read your post over again upon morn wake-up though; maybe I'm just too tired to compute? brain atm: guh hur bleh derrrr).

It's all good though right now (better now than later, & if thinking it, ask away; I'll be on a few minutes longer tonight & later before I contact), as I learned the hard way it's, uh, kinda hard to finagle a Q&A with police on St. Patrick's Day (uberfail on my part; didn't even realize that was today 'til around 3pm when my sister started going on about watching the river dye [which I of course heard as "watching the river die" & assumed horrible Doctor Who spoilers; fail.]... >.>;). On the bright side, day /after/ St. Patty's is a lot less crazy and busy, so I shouldn't have to worry about that aspect.

Sorry was up late, Verbal and Vocal (as discribed by Darkspawn) harassment, is what I ment. IE: Cat-calling, going "Hey baby nice pair of nipples there poking out." Dirty words that are used as a means of embarssing or shaming someone, ex: "Hey baby, great body mind if we *insert foul word here* tonight, my room?" Or like you said, the lame pick up lines, only it's more like the person is purposly following the girl or guy around saying it.

Also wouldn't mind knowing what's the rules regarding rude actions either. I guess my over all questions are.

1. If a person is cat-calling, whistling, and or throwing lewd comments at you what do you do?

2. If a person were to throw pick up lines at you that make you feel uncomfortable, who do you call?

3. What about gestures that make you feel uncomfortable or harassed?

4. Someone genuinely making comments about your body using words that emphize body parts or make passes at you and make it so you don't feel right wearing your costume?

5. Pervy photographers trying to snap pictures of cleavage or other parts of your body?

@Valkyrie: Thank you for getting the number I'm going to plug it into my phone.

This post has been edited by Dark Spellmaster: 19 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

Pardon the Pause

#100 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

In any or all of those cases, let IRT know. If you can't find us, call the Hotline (should have confirmation of that number by this weekend). Also! If for whatever reason you can't see any IRT around - we can sometimes be ninjas - and you're unable to call, find a member of staff with a radio. They can let IRT know that someone is causing problems. Just in case, be sure to make note of anything that can be used to describe the offender.
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#101 User is offline   MasterHavik 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61571

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 19 March 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

5. Pervy photographers trying to snap pictures of cleavage or other parts of your body?

Really? That happens. I didn't know that goes down at cons.
Ummm....I'm going to take you to court!

#102 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

Unfortunately, any of those situations can happen, especially in a convention our size (though, in truth, it can happen at any con)...:( It's also why a certain staircase in the Hyatt has a bit of a leery reputation. But, that's exactly why IRT has procedures for how to handle them - we always hope and wish against bad situations, but we also stay prepared for them so you all can be that much safer.

#103 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

View PostValkyrie, on 19 March 2012 - 03:24 PM, said:

Unfortunately, any of those situations can happen, especially in a convention our size (though, in truth, it can happen at any con)...:( It's also why a certain staircase in the Hyatt has a bit of a leery reputation. But, that's exactly why IRT has procedures for how to handle them - we always hope and wish against bad situations, but we also stay prepared for them so you all can be that much safer.

Which staircase is this? :( I'm sorry to hear that it has a reputation.

And I recall hearing about the creepy photographers at cosplay.com where they were talking about some girl posing and some guy coming up from behind her and snapping a shot of her cleavage then trying to get away. The group that asked her to pose went after him, apparently and got security on him. Guy got thrown out of the con for taking various lewd pictures of girls, and guys, in costume.

Pardon the Pause

#104 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 19 March 2012 - 06:30 PM, said:

Which staircase is this? :( I'm sorry to hear that it has a reputation.

And I recall hearing about the creepy photographers at cosplay.com where they were talking about some girl posing and some guy coming up from behind her and snapping a shot of her cleavage then trying to get away. The group that asked her to pose went after him, apparently and got security on him. Guy got thrown out of the con for taking various lewd pictures of girls, and guys, in costume.

The glass staircase, though it has since been frosted.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#105 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

View Postkenkendazo, on 19 March 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

It's always a good idea, creepy staircase or no, to wear bloomers or short shorts under your costume if possible. Too many people think it's funny to try to get panty shots or lift a girl's skirt.

Whereas this behavior can be cute/funny in a CARTOON, in the REAL WORLD, it's sexual harassment.

#106 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:25 PM

View PostDarkspawn, on 20 March 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

It's always a good idea, creepy staircase or no, to wear bloomers or short shorts under your costume if possible. Too many people think it's funny to try to get panty shots or lift a girl's skirt.

Whereas this behavior can be cute/funny in a CARTOON, in the REAL WORLD, it's sexual harassment

It's really, really depressing that people think this is okay.

Or maybe they know that it's unacceptable, but they're banking on the fact that they'll receive no punishment. That's why it's so important, as others have noted, to try to get their badge information and subsequently call IRT and the police.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#107 User is offline   Oyuki 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 58998

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

Panty shots just seem like such a novelty now. It's prevalent in Rosario+Vampire and one Katsucon fanvid had a shot of multiple photogs posing around a cosplayer implying panty pics.
2011: C.C.
2012: Moka Akashiya / (Bunny)Sebastian Michaelis
2013: ??? / White Rabbit Sebastian / Nurse Akali / Cosmo?

ermahgerd ferceberk

#108 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

View Postkenkendazo, on 19 March 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

Oh I know that one, I'm suprised people would be...*shudders* that way with stairs. But I suppose guys/girls + hormones + glass stairs = trouble.

Pardon the Pause

#109 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 20 March 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

It's really, really depressing that people think this is okay.

Or maybe they know that it's unacceptable, but they're banking on the fact that they'll receive no punishment. That's why it's so important, as others have noted, to try to get their badge information and subsequently call IRT and the police.

I honestly think a lot of them believe it's okay.

I hate to sound mean here, but for some reason anime/Japanese pop culture in general seems to draw out some really socially-inept people who lack common sense and the ability to function well outdoors. Part of the reason why you sometimes don't wanna admit you're into "THAT stuff." <_<

This post has been edited by Darkspawn: 21 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

#110 User is offline   chibianime91 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 58958

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

I think that a lot of people forget that they are in public. This is especially true with young women. While Acen is an awesome place you must still remember that you are in a room full of strangers. I cant tell you how many con horror stories I have heard involving young women at cons just being way too friendly. Just because someone goes to a convention do not mean they can be trusted. When my friends and I go we always stay in groups of 2 or more. None of us wander off by ourselves, expectantly when we've been drinking. I'm not saying that you have to treat everyone like they are a rapist but I really wish some young women would be a lot more careful. Have fun, oh by all means have fun, but be cautious about who your talking to and where you go.
Acen 2012: Lilith Anesland (New)
Stocking(Police Girl/Angel?)
Harley Quinn (Batman: Arkham Asylum)
Black Rock Shooter

Anime North 2012:?

#111 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

View Postchibianime91, on 21 March 2012 - 06:09 PM, said:

I think that a lot of people forget that they are in public. This is especially true with young women. While Acen is an awesome place you must still remember that you are in a room full of strangers. I cant tell you how many con horror stories I have heard involving young women at cons just being way too friendly. Just because someone goes to a convention do not mean they can be trusted. When my friends and I go we always stay in groups of 2 or more. None of us wander off by ourselves, expectantly when we've been drinking. I'm not saying that you have to treat everyone like they are a rapist but I really wish some young women would be a lot more careful. Have fun, oh by all means have fun, but be cautious about who your talking to and where you go.

A lot of it comes from the fact that, in general, most anime geeks (and nerds in general) are actually nice people who won't hurt a fly. However there's usually one out of those many that can be a total jerkface and cause undue harm on someone because they have a "Percived image" of a character and seeing someone dressed in that character can turn on those hormones that don't make them think strait.

Pardon the Pause

#112 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 22 March 2012 - 06:40 PM, said:

A lot of it comes from the fact that, in general, most anime geeks (and nerds in general) are actually nice people who won't hurt a fly. However there's usually one out of those many that can be a total jerkface and cause undue harm on someone because they have a "Percived image" of a character and seeing someone dressed in that character can turn on those hormones that don't make them think strait.

Honestly, when I hear people talking about hormones that make it hard for men to "think straight," I can't help but shake my head. Men are not animals unable to control their primal urges. They are humans with the ability to reason and think straight, regardless of hormones. Men who grope and sexually assault women do not do so because they can't help it; they do it because they're pigs. No good man ever sexually assaults another person.

Anyhoodles... :lol:

#113 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

View PostDarkspawn, on 23 March 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

Honestly, when I hear people talking about hormones that make it hard for men to "think straight," I can't help but shake my head. Men are not animals unable to control their primal urges. They are humans with the ability to reason and think straight, regardless of hormones. Men who grope and sexually assault women do not do so because they can't help it; they do it because they're pigs. No good man ever sexually assaults another person.

THIS
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#114 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Validating
  • Member No.: 18421

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

To me there's a difference between a boy, guy and man.

When I read the word "pigs" I thought of Animal Farm. Then of Archer's episode lastnight since it was brought up.
Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen
Fullmetal Alchemist - Greedling

#115 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

Don't mean only guys, I've seen a lot of girls become strange when around the sight of a partly dressed male. True, and no good woman does the same to a guy either. So I guess it's an all over the place sort of thing. Hormones isn't really the proper word for it. I think a lot of adreniline and excitment is in the air and some people forget themself.

Pardon the Pause

#116 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

Took the words right outta my mouth, Dark. :)

This post has been edited by Valkyrie: 23 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

#117 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

View PostValkyrie, on 23 March 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

Took the words right outta my mouth, Dark. :)

*Laughs* I try to obligie in any way I can. *bows*

Pardon the Pause

#118 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

View Postnouseforaname, on 23 March 2012 - 12:04 PM, said:

To me there's a difference between a boy, guy and man.

When I read the word "pigs" I thought of Animal Farm. Then of Archer's episode lastnight since it was brought up.

What's the difference between a guy and a man? :unsure:

#119 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Validating
  • Member No.: 18421

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

Guy - Not a gentleman
Man - Gentleman
Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen
Fullmetal Alchemist - Greedling

#120 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

View Postnouseforaname, on 23 March 2012 - 07:50 PM, said:

Guy - Not a gentleman
Man - Gentleman

I've never heard of that before! LOL. I mean, the phrase "he's a nice guy" is pretty common...

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users