• This topic is locked

A Close Shave

#1 User is offline   Ranko 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 54494

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:15 PM

I have a bit of a problem... no matter how hard I try... I can't seem to shave the my beard short enough to portray someone who is clean shaven. Any happen to know the best method of getting a clean shave? This is relevant to my Acen Cosplay.
facebook- because you can never have too many friends!

http://www.facebook....hp?id=607874283

PSN ID: Ranma344

This keyboard of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning feel tells me to post here! Take this, my knowledge, my opinion, and all of my awesomeness! SHINING POST!

#2 User is offline   LoveLetters 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 59638

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:18 PM

Hmmm... I think with monks (and how they get a close clean shave) is that they wax. But thats going to hurt A LOT D:
Sorry! Thats all I know since Ive been trying to find out somewhat the smae thing when I shave my legs xDD (Im not hairy but I like clear skin.)

#3 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

Try:

buffer pads or facial buffer pads or wax, but shave your face as close as you can to being bare before you attempt these. That's the best thing you can do as well as the cheapest thing. Even women who shave their legs are not 100% clean shaven.

I wouldn't recommend NO NO! shaving tool because I only heard bad reviews from everyone who uses it. Or lasers.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#4 User is offline   Pikachii 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59683

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:01 PM

Keep shaving your beard completely up until the con- it should help it look less 5'o'clock shadowy. Use a simple foundation while cosplaying, that is if you don't mind doing that. It will help even out your skin tone. Use a hot washcloth or take a shower before shaving to soften the hairs. Here is a video done by a man. He has some good tips. I hope this helps.
^-^

#5 User is offline   Pashy-chan 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 16936

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:10 PM

Err.. I would no recommend waxing as, in compairison to different areas of the body, your face would be the most sensitive and the hairs there are also the most coarse.. However, if you do choose to do so, make sure you grow out your beard past it's stubble point before you decide to wax.. If you don't, it will be rater difficult to snag the hairs even with hot wax, and that just means a longer, and likely more painful process.

If I were you, I would use some type of depilatory cream! I always go with Nair myself! It basically breaks down the bonds in the hair all the way down to the follicle, making it so you can simply wipe them away! If you do choose this route, make sure you try it out before ACen, as your skin may become irritated. If the irritation is at a point where it's too uncomfortable, and noticible for more than a day, I'd drop it.. Usually though, that isn't the case! Or at least, I haven't met anyone yet whose run into the problem.. Also! Unlike waxing which may take weeks for hair to start growing back, depilatories only last anywhere between 3-days to a week before hair to grow again! Anyhow, yup yup yup!!

ACen 2011: Cosplays have been determined-ish!!!!

Iris - Pokemon Black/White ::: 75%
Female Wario ::: 10%
Ganguro Gal ::: 90%

~TekoMuto Fangirl~

Hello, my name is Poshy...

#6 User is offline   Ranko 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 54494

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

I appreciate all the tips, I'll definitely have to keep all of these in mind.
facebook- because you can never have too many friends!

http://www.facebook....hp?id=607874283

PSN ID: Ranma344

This keyboard of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning feel tells me to post here! Take this, my knowledge, my opinion, and all of my awesomeness! SHINING POST!

#7 User is offline   QuidProQuo 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 59559

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:29 PM

I've heard that using a foundation on the pinkish side helps to minimize the appearance of shadow.
I'm your only friend I'm not your only friend but I'm a little glowing friend but really I'm not actually your friend but I am.

#8 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:28 PM

Go to a barber. An OLD FASHION one. I would pass out if I ever did it (hates razors and all) but they can clean you up far better than anyone else is able to. As a friend once said, they are wizards of hair.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#9 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:51 AM

View PostSuigetsu, on 14 April 2011 - 09:28 PM, said:

Go to a barber. An OLD FASHION one. I would pass out if I ever did it (hates razors and all) but they can clean you up far better than anyone else is able to. As a friend once said, they are wizards of hair.

Very true. The closest shave I've ever gotten was using soap & brush like the old-time barber shops. I know they still sell the soap & brush at Meijer. Not sure how much it costs, I'll have to look when I do grocery shopping next week.
Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#10 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:58 PM

View PostSuigetsu, on 14 April 2011 - 09:28 PM, said:

Too bad they don't do legs!

Pashy: Actually didn't know this; this came from my experience when I ended up having my face waxed as a suggestion because of my peach fuzz on my face :/ It didn't end nice but I was allergic so I thought Ranko-san would be different.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#11 User is offline   Pashy-chan 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 16936

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:15 PM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 15 April 2011 - 12:58 PM, said:

Too bad they don't do legs!

Pashy: Actually didn't know this; this came from my experience when I ended up having my face waxed as a suggestion because of my peach fuzz on my face :/ It didn't end nice but I was allergic so I thought Ranko-san would be different.

Ahhhhh, maybe it's different for everyone.. I just based that on personal experience as well.. I mean personally, I always go with wax when it comes to hair removal, to avoid the risk of anything ingrown and also so it thins out the new growth.. and although I have never waxed my own face, I guess I'm speaking for those that I know who have. I mean, you can wax the face, it's just one of the more sensitive areas, that's all! That, and juding from his pictures, he'd have a lot more to wax off than the peach fuzz that girls can get get.. @o@ I know whenever I get anything waxed, it's red for at least a day, sometimes two, and this is just ripping out thin follicles.. A beard's texture has a much thicker consistancy, so I can imagine it hurting a lot more, and a longer lasting irritation..
ACen 2011: Cosplays have been determined-ish!!!!

Iris - Pokemon Black/White ::: 75%
Female Wario ::: 10%
Ganguro Gal ::: 90%

~TekoMuto Fangirl~

Hello, my name is Poshy...

#12 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Validating
  • Member No.: 18421

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:25 PM

Unlike Ranko, my character is a young boy and I don't want to shave to portray him. I look like a fat mess when I shave so I want to leave some stubble or something. Bad idea?

Ranko - use hot water on your face then shave. If you shave a day before the convention and you get stubble, shave again before you leave the room. You don't want to use Nair or wax or whatever on your face that pulls or burns the facial hair off. You're a man, not a woman. I'm not saying it shouldn't be used but if I needed a close shave, I would never use that stuff near my face. Old fashioned shaving would work. I've got a razor like one of those but I've never used it though I know it is a very close shave and clean looking too. I'd shave with whatever Gillette Mach 4 or 20 or whatever brand is available to you that's comfortable for the closest shave too. If worse comes to worse, don't worry so much about it.
Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen
Fullmetal Alchemist - Greedling

#13 User is offline   kikanju 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59035

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:13 PM

View Postnouseforaname, on 18 April 2011 - 12:25 PM, said:

Unlike Ranko, my character is a young boy and I don't want to shave to portray him. I look like a fat mess when I shave so I want to leave some stubble or something. Bad idea?

You should still shave it for the best result, and then just use some tricks to make your face look thinner. : 3

If you feel like your face is too fat or round, but you still want to look clean-shaven, then you could try some contouring with make-up to make your face look thinner.

• If you have peach/pink skintone, use an orangeish/medium-dark pink blush.
  • If you have yellow undertones, use a bronzer or medium brown eyeshadow.
  • If you are of a darker complexion (ie middle-eastern, indian, native american, african descent, etc..) then you would use a deep mauve/plum colored blush..

Take a large soft brush, like the ones used for blush, and gently sweep your designated color along the bottom of your chin, just under where your chin sticks out, not on your actual face. Suck in your cheeks, and also apply a little bit of the blush on the hollows of your cheeks. Apply it also to the edges of your face, tracing the wide parts of your mandible, up through the areas where sideburns grow, and little bit along the hairline (tracing from the temporal bone up), but NOT along the top of your hairline.

If you please, you could also use that color to line the inside edges of your eyes and the edges of your nose, to make your nose look long and high-bridged.

Be careful not to use too much. You want those shadows to look natural, not painted on. It should really help to thin out your face. : )

This post has been edited by kikanju: 18 April 2011 - 07:15 PM

#14 User is offline   kikanju 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59035

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:28 PM

As for waxing, there are some serums you can buy to rub into your skin before you wax, which will make it a little numb and lessen the pain. NADS waxing strips come with this serum included in the box, as well as some balm for after you've waxed.

#15 User is offline   Pikachii 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59683

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:16 PM

You can use a sugar based wax so you don't end up with so much pink/red. ^-^
^-^

#16 User is offline   Neko_master_Luna 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 28689

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:39 AM

A friend of my complains about this as well, he fines it best to not shave until right before. He says with his, if he shaves often it grows in faster, but if he lets it go for a while it grows in slower the next time he shaves, though I suppose every man is different. Good luck.
Currently writing a book.

#17 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Validating
  • Member No.: 18421

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:46 AM

View Postkikanju, on 18 April 2011 - 07:13 PM, said:

You should still shave it for the best result, and then just use some tricks to make your face look thinner. : 3

If you feel like your face is too fat or round, but you still want to look clean-shaven, then you could try some contouring with make-up to make your face look thinner.

• If you have peach/pink skintone, use an orangeish/medium-dark pink blush.
  • If you have yellow undertones, use a bronzer or medium brown eyeshadow.
  • If you are of a darker complexion (ie middle-eastern, indian, native american, african descent, etc..) then you would use a deep mauve/plum colored blush..

Take a large soft brush, like the ones used for blush, and gently sweep your designated color along the bottom of your chin, just under where your chin sticks out, not on your actual face. Suck in your cheeks, and also apply a little bit of the blush on the hollows of your cheeks. Apply it also to the edges of your face, tracing the wide parts of your mandible, up through the areas where sideburns grow, and little bit along the hairline (tracing from the temporal bone up), but NOT along the top of your hairline.

If you please, you could also use that color to line the inside edges of your eyes and the edges of your nose, to make your nose look long and high-bridged.

Be careful not to use too much. You want those shadows to look natural, not painted on. It should really help to thin out your face. : )

Wow, pass lol I'll never wear make-up. I'm going to keep stubble instead. Thanks for the advice though.
Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen
Fullmetal Alchemist - Greedling

#18 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:46 AM

As weird as this might sound...Sally Hanson hair remover for face could be your best bet. Just be sure to test it on your skin first for reaction to it, other then that it keeps the stubble away. I'd say do it two days before the con.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users