Anime Central Forums: Silly Staff Making Question - Anime Central Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Silly Staff Making Question Spray paint?

#1 User is offline   Kaia Hatsune 

  • Forum's Little Pony
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59449
  • Posts: 258
  • Joined: 04-February 11

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

I'm making my staff for Miku Hatsune (synchronicity) and I was thinking of buying a wooden pole and spray paint it silver and then spray paint it would a wood finish so it last longer.

My concern is if the spray paint will slowly come off onto my gloves when I'm holding it for along period of time.
Will I be fine with the wood finish? Any suggestions to ease my worry?

Thanks in advance =]
ACen 2017
Kat(Gravity Rush 2)-5%
My Cosplay.com

#2 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284
  • Posts: 1,978
  • Joined: 09-January 11
  • Location:где-то в Соединенных Штатах Америки

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:54 PM

Spray paint comes off even with wood finish x.x; I know because my jin sword is starting to peel off the blade/look dingy now ._.

You would need a glosser/cover or something that makes paint not peel/come off/is non toxic finishing touch.

I know for a fact that Krylon is decent: http://www.tcpglobal...CFU9pKgodEkU6bg They sell it at Walmart too.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.


Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#3 User is offline   Pikachii 

  • Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59683
  • Posts: 225
  • Joined: 15-March 11

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:07 PM

What if you seal the staff with a wood sealant, then spray paint it, and then spray it with clear coat?
^-^

#4 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

  • Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636
  • Posts: 2,931
  • Joined: 27-November 06
  • Location:lynwood il

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:38 PM

??? took me a sec to figure out what was going on

fujoshi the problem you likely had was you didnt sand your work before painting
if ya take just a few minuets and put a light sanding over the whole surface paint bonds much much better
you want to paint in thin layers and let dry
even if it doesnt look right the first go let it dry
then add more thin layers as needed
many times it is better to have many thin layers than one heavy blotchy one
once your paint is dry and cured
add a clear coat like pikachii said
paint lasts much longer this way
even on plastic (Krylon makes some of the best paint for plastic)
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#5 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284
  • Posts: 1,978
  • Joined: 09-January 11
  • Location:где-то в Соединенных Штатах Америки

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:47 PM

View PostMillions_Knives, on 24 March 2011 - 07:38 PM, said:

??? took me a sec to figure out what was going on

fujoshi the problem you likely had was you didnt sand your work before painting
if ya take just a few minuets and put a light sanding over the whole surface paint bonds much much better
you want to paint in thin layers and let dry
even if it doesnt look right the first go let it dry
then add more thin layers as needed
many times it is better to have many thin layers than one heavy blotchy one
once your paint is dry and cured
add a clear coat like pikachii said
paint lasts much longer this way
even on plastic (Krylon makes some of the best paint for plastic)



Well I learned something new today :lol: thanks!
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.


Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#6 User is offline   Pikachii 

  • Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59683
  • Posts: 225
  • Joined: 15-March 11

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:10 PM

Wooot!! I got something right!!!!! Knives is very knowledgeable!
^-^

#7 User is offline   Kaia Hatsune 

  • Forum's Little Pony
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59449
  • Posts: 258
  • Joined: 04-February 11

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:17 PM

WOW!! This helped sooooo much! =D


Thank you so much everyone!!!! and yes! Knives is super duper knowledgeable =]
ACen 2017
Kat(Gravity Rush 2)-5%
My Cosplay.com

#8 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

  • Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636
  • Posts: 2,931
  • Joined: 27-November 06
  • Location:lynwood il

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:06 AM

pro tip;
to be expert one must only know 10% more than the one asking the question
lol
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#9 User is offline   Pikachii 

  • Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59683
  • Posts: 225
  • Joined: 15-March 11

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:38 AM

Lol hey, whatever works
^-^

#10 User is offline   Kaia Hatsune 

  • Forum's Little Pony
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59449
  • Posts: 258
  • Joined: 04-February 11

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:03 PM

I feel like if i made another thread it would just be spamming but...

how could i go about to make a detachable staff? I'm only 5'2'' short xD and I would like to have a 6-7 feet staff.

Help? Ideas? Awesomeness?
ACen 2017
Kat(Gravity Rush 2)-5%
My Cosplay.com

#11 User is offline   Rori 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 4904
  • Posts: 207
  • Joined: 04-June 05
  • Location:Indianapolis

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:50 PM

View PostKaia Hatsune, on 25 March 2011 - 07:03 PM, said:

how could i go about to make a detachable staff? I'm only 5'2'' short xD and I would like to have a 6-7 feet staff.


Probably a little bit out there (its been a long day), but aren't those Swiffer stick things detachable? And silver? I'm not sure how stable that would be at 6' tall though, lol.
あなたが考えているほど世界はひどくないから。
Spam Poison

#12 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

  • Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636
  • Posts: 2,931
  • Joined: 27-November 06
  • Location:lynwood il

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:09 AM

hmm
pcv pipe has this these couplings
to join bits of pipe together securely
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#13 User is offline   Pikachii 

  • Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59683
  • Posts: 225
  • Joined: 15-March 11

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:43 AM

The couplings are going to make the staff bumpy.. if you could find some tube (pvc or metal if it is allowed, I have yet to need a prop like yours so I don't know the policies) that has threading on the inside so you can twist them together and have a smooth staff instead.
^-^

#14 User is offline   Evangelion_Unit_01 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 26693
  • Posts: 554
  • Joined: 27-March 09
  • Location:Richfield, Minnesota

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:53 PM

Yea PVC pipe would be recommended because you can make it detachable with the couplings like they said...Metal tubing would be ideal but i doubt it's allowed, In metal tubing you can get threaded inserts that join the piping together....hmmm....as far as spray paint goes, as long as you use a clear coat sealer...you shouldn't have any trouble with it. It will also protect it from scratching and getting wet. Make sure you use 2 coats on the sealer and wait until the spray paint is completely dry before adding it. Spray paint has a nasty habit of being sticky even when you think it's dry so give it a while.

This post has been edited by Evangelion_Unit_01: 26 March 2011 - 12:56 PM


#15 User is offline   Kaia Hatsune 

  • Forum's Little Pony
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59449
  • Posts: 258
  • Joined: 04-February 11

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:37 PM

Awesome!!! Thank you guys soo much!!

I can't wait to have a giant staff that is taller than me XD
ACen 2017
Kat(Gravity Rush 2)-5%
My Cosplay.com

#16 User is offline   Evangelion_Unit_01 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 26693
  • Posts: 554
  • Joined: 27-March 09
  • Location:Richfield, Minnesota

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:59 PM

View PostKaia Hatsune, on 27 March 2011 - 11:37 PM, said:

Awesome!!! Thank you guys soo much!!

I can't wait to have a giant staff that is taller than me XD



Can't wait to see it :)

#17 User is offline   nouseforaname 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Validating
  • Member No.: 18421
  • Posts: 1,807
  • Joined: 15-May 08
  • Location:Chicago, IL

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:34 AM

Spray painting wood is like soaking a sponge in water hoping it'll hold. It won't come out the way you think it will and it's definitely time consuming to get it to a bold color. It's not impossible though. You can always use an oil based paint such as Rustoleum. They're about $8 a can and well worth it. That WILL show and give it a glossy finish. You can also try a stain if you find the right shade. I'm guessing you're going to buy a closet pole or a dowel.

If you want it to extend you should probably stick with a PVC pipe like I told you that one night and just like the people here are saying. You could always buy a shower rod too as those lock into place by twisting, though I don't know how far they extend; I'm sure longer than 5'. PVC can be painted with whatever paint, even spray paint but that should be covered with a clear coat. Rustoleum oil based paint won't chip or peel as long as you sand the surface of whatever so it has something to hold on. This is why people use primer before painting. You'd be surprised what people go through when painting cars... I know I have.

This post has been edited by nouseforaname: 28 March 2011 - 02:36 AM

Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen
Fullmetal Alchemist - Greedling

#18 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

  • Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636
  • Posts: 2,931
  • Joined: 27-November 06
  • Location:lynwood il

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:37 AM

Side note:
this is who i learned to paint form
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#19 User is offline   Evangelion_Unit_01 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 26693
  • Posts: 554
  • Joined: 27-March 09
  • Location:Richfield, Minnesota

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:38 AM

View Postnouseforaname, on 28 March 2011 - 02:34 AM, said:

Spray painting wood is like soaking a sponge in water hoping it'll hold. It won't come out the way you think it will and it's definitely time consuming to get it to a bold color. It's not impossible though. You can always use an oil based paint such as Rustoleum. They're about $8 a can and well worth it. That WILL show and give it a glossy finish. You can also try a stain if you find the right shade. I'm guessing you're going to buy a closet pole or a dowel.

If you want it to extend you should probably stick with a PVC pipe like I told you that one night and just like the people here are saying. You could always buy a shower rod too as those lock into place by twisting, though I don't know how far they extend; I'm sure longer than 5'. PVC can be painted with whatever paint, even spray paint but that should be covered with a clear coat. Rustoleum oil based paint won't chip or peel as long as you sand the surface of whatever so it has something to hold on. This is why people use primer before painting. You'd be surprised what people go through when painting cars... I know I have.



I couldn't put it better myself <_<

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users