Anime Central Forums: Main Programming Event Lines - Anime Central Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Main Programming Event Lines We're changing how this works this year.

#61 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:16 PM

First off, I want to apologize for what happened. We were doing our best to make sure everyone knew the line process - apparently some slipped through the cracks, and that should not have happened. We had that procedure in place in order to avoid that very situation; it leads to confusion, disorganization, and many unhappy people. And that's something we don't want. Thank you for letting us know about this.

This may be a little late to ask, also, but do you remember any details about that volunteer? Their callsign (big orange letters on front of vest), physical description, male/female, time you saw this volunteer, etc? Or any other IRTers that may have been around at the time? (The reason I say that is that no IRT member should be alone - there should always be at least one other not far away from them, whether it's further up/down the line or right next to them.)
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#62 User is offline   Audri 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 23980

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:13 PM

Are these new rules just for the main events or events overall?
2016: Kirari Moroboshi - Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls
2015: Kumano - Kantai Collection
2014: Should have cosplayed
2013: Hayate Yagami - Magical Lyrical Nanoha Force
2012: Featherine Augustus Aurora - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni and Ruko Yokune - Vippaloid
2011: Featherine Augustus Aurora - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
2010: Eva-Beatrice - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
2009: First ACen - No Cosplay

#63 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

View PostAudri, on 05 October 2011 - 03:13 PM, said:

Are these new rules just for the main events or events overall?

As the title of the thread indicates, these rules - no longer new this year - are for events taking place in Main Programming.
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft
IRT Assistant Department Head
I <3 People Who <3 IRT!
Want to help make IRT even better? Join us!

#64 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61343

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

So what new strategies are being put in place to avoid double lines? The line for FLOW last year was a nightmare. IRT told us to line up inside, so we did! All the sudden about 30 minutes before being let in, IRT tells us we all have to move outside behind ANOTHER line of well over 100 people. Surprise! Needless to say, someone started crying. It was a nightmare.

Also, with bags, IRT first said no one could bring bags into the concert. Some people left the line, grumbling, because they couldn't return their bags to a hotel that was 20 minutes away. And then, about 15-20 minutes after we had started entering the room, people started flooding in with bags (and cell phones, with IRT had made a huge fuss over when we stood in line). I was so confused. I asked IRT on the way out, and this guy just told me they started letting people in even if they did have bags. What's the rule, guys? Frankly, I can't not have a bag with me, so I dunno what I'll do...

This post has been edited by Darkspawn: 28 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

"Men's hearts hold shadows darker than any tainted creature."

#65 User is offline   HuiYa 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61732

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:08 AM

I would like to point out to all of you that this is the only show in the U.S. for L.M.C, and while this might not mean much to the people who just listen to this band it huge for the people who have been waiting to see them for 3 years now. I can tell you I started run around like crazy when I heard that they were coming to ACEN and this band is one of the only reasons I am coming to this con. The other would be to see Ibi-san. Anyways I like to say that there are many more people like me who are coming to see L.M.C and really don't care about panels and such. Jrocker's in general tend to line up days in advance for shows and sleep outside in the streets. I did it a couple of times in Chicago and Philly to see bands. We love our bands a lot and its rare that we get to see them in our hometown or close by. I'm coming from Milwaukee but I know people that are flying in to see the band. So I am really sadden to see people who think that waiting in line all day is unfair. Really if we don't waiting in line we will be waiting close to the area so we can line up as soon as we can. I can see why people would want to go to the con.... there are a lot of awesome things that are going on. I just know that if you try to control if to much you are going to get a huge backlash...It happened at Amine Boston last year with Girugamesh and the line up there. I saw so many people upset and angry and the security and they dumb rules. That were established not to make it a better con but for a power trip, this included us lining up running across the hall and then back to the line. Mind you this hall had people walking and taking pictures in it. People were push, tripped and hurt in the process of this. Granted that was for the autograph signing not the show. I want to have a fun time at this show since I love this band, but I can't help but feel like this is going to be a nightmare and I'm not going to get in to the show. Tickets won't help unless you have system like in Japan, where they are numbered. Its just gonna have people line up for tickets and then line up for the show to get a spot close to the stage. Im sorry if a offend people with this post, that is not my point at all. I just want people to know this is not like a band that they have had the last couple of year, those were either American/Japanese bands or minor dance bands. Anime bands and L.M.C are very different. We Jrock fans are really nice people, really it just we like things that are ran smoothly,and with no drama.... or as little drama as possible. ^-^v I posted this in the L.M.C forum too but I wanted to cover all my bases so... I posted it here too.
I hope that we all can enjoy the show and have a great time!!!

#66 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

Well, I'll post my response to your post here too, HuiYa, as well as the official LM.C thread:

"I appreciate Acen trying to keep people from lining up insanely early. It's fine that you're not interested in pretty much anything at Acen besides LM.C, but most people there are going for multiple things, and they don't want to have to line up at 9:00 in the morning for an evening concert. I really hope Acen is better about their line management this year, and A only has ONE line, and B doesn't allow a line to form more than 2-3 hours prior to the show. Will people be wandering the area waiting for the line to form? If they're a LM.C fanatic, probably. Will they run to the line when they're allowed to? Probably, because they're not mature enough to realize this isn't safe; a fast-paced walk is much smarter. There's no good way to solve this issue. Frankly, it's not the convention's fault at all if people are pushed, tripped, hurt, etc. That's the fault of selfish, greedy fans who act like 12-year-old girls at a Justin Bieber concert.

Acen has had very famous singers/musicians before. Heck, last year we got FLOW. And no one was trampled to death, although the line management was awful... In that case, the drama was caused entirely by IRT. Hopefully this year that will be solved, and any resulting drama will be the fault of the FANS. It's our responsibility too to ensure everyone stays safe. I don't care how long someones been waiting to see LM.C. You don't hit, slap, kick, or do anything else harmful to the people around you."

#67 User is offline   Rezik 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61177

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

I just want to put out there that the line issue should be really well thought out, because there are people who will be coming strictly to see LM.C. You have to know that this is being considered part of their World Tour. One stop for all of the US and it's in an anime convention (to put this in perspective, they have 3 stops in Germany and 2 stops in France). I'm not trying to complain that they only have one stop in US (they aren't even stopping in Canada), but you have to realize that if you don't take control of the inevitable line to start with, I understand that there are restrictions that you have to abide by with the hotel and safety regulations, but there are going to be a LOT of really upset people. Honestly you might as well give these people a place to stand from the start and just keep that organized, it might keep the usual line drama to a minimum, too. If you're looking to disperse the line, maybe have a station set up with numbered tickets up to 200 or so, so when the time comes to line up a half hour before the show it can be numerically ordered and then people who didn't get a ticket can go in after that. This is how the concerts are run in Japan except everyone has a numbered ticket, of course; the tickets are sold in numerical order, so who ever bought earliest should have the lower number tickets, and makes concert attendance very smooth. It might make things complicated in the morning with giving x number of people tickets, but honestly it should help to decrease how many people start the line too early, and will help to ease tension amongst those there to see the show as well as go to the convention. If you think the numbered ticket won't work, how about color coded? The first 100 get blue, the next 100 get red, and then the next get yellow. The blue tickets can get in first followed by red and then yellow.

J-rockers are used to lining up the night or two before or at least 3AM on the day of the show, and I don't know if you guys are prepared for that sort of thing, and honestly for a lot of jrocker fans, waiting in line for hours on end is how you make friends, it's just another part of the show for us. Most of us don't mind waiting in line for hours on end to see our favorite bands, so it'll be very difficult for someone to tell them they can only line up 30 minutes before a show without the comfort of knowing that they'll be able to get a good place to see the show.

tl;dr? 30 minute line up isn't going to work for LM.C. Either let people line up somewhere organized or set up a numbered ticket system.

#68 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

View PostRezik, on 31 March 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

I just want to put out there that the line issue should be really well thought out, because there are people who will be coming strictly to see LM.C. You have to know that this is being considered part of their World Tour. One stop for all of the US and it's in an anime convention (to put this in perspective, they have 3 stops in Germany and 2 stops in France). I'm not trying to complain that they only have one stop in US (they aren't even stopping in Canada), but you have to realize that if you don't take control of the inevitable line to start with, I understand that there are restrictions that you have to abide by with the hotel and safety regulations, but there are going to be a LOT of really upset people. Honestly you might as well give these people a place to stand from the start and just keep that organized, it might keep the usual line drama to a minimum, too. If you're looking to disperse the line, maybe have a station set up with numbered tickets up to 200 or so, so when the time comes to line up a half hour before the show it can be numerically ordered and then people who didn't get a ticket can go in after that. This is how the concerts are run in Japan except everyone has a numbered ticket, of course; the tickets are sold in numerical order, so who ever bought earliest should have the lower number tickets, and makes concert attendance very smooth. It might make things complicated in the morning with giving x number of people tickets, but honestly it should help to decrease how many people start the line too early, and will help to ease tension amongst those there to see the show as well as go to the convention. If you think the numbered ticket won't work, how about color coded? The first 100 get blue, the next 100 get red, and then the next get yellow. The blue tickets can get in first followed by red and then yellow.

J-rockers are used to lining up the night or two before or at least 3AM on the day of the show, and I don't know if you guys are prepared for that sort of thing, and honestly for a lot of jrocker fans, waiting in line for hours on end is how you make friends, it's just another part of the show for us. Most of us don't mind waiting in line for hours on end to see our favorite bands, so it'll be very difficult for someone to tell them they can only line up 30 minutes before a show without the comfort of knowing that they'll be able to get a good place to see the show.

tl;dr? 30 minute line up isn't going to work for LM.C. Either let people line up somewhere organized or set up a numbered ticket system.

I can pretty much tell you for certain there won't be a ticket system, as Acen staff have consistently said on the forums that it just didn't work, despite some con-goers saying they liked it.

As for lining up, ALL sorts of concert-goers are used to lining up early for a show. That's not restricted to J-rock fans. I can again tell you for a fact that people will probably be allowed to line up hours in advance. They never even followed that 30 minute rule last year, not even close. However, lining up at 3AM (or, more likely, 9-11AM) should be discouraged at Acen, in my honest opinion. It's unfair to people who are going to Acen to enjoy the convention as a whole but still deserve a shot at seeing the concert. Not to mention, there's a concert before LM.C (Eyeshine), and non-LM.C fans should have the opportunity of seeing it without having to wait in line 10 hours with LM.C fans. The thing is, this concert is part of a larger event, and I think a lot of people would feel it's smarter to limit the amount of time someone can wait in line. Otherwise it creates a messy and frustrating situation.

Not to mention, if there are events in the same room as the concert before the concert begins, they'll have two lines to worry about. You guys, and the line for the actual event coming up.

This post has been edited by Darkspawn: 31 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

#69 User is offline   Rezik 

• Pip

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

View PostDarkspawn, on 31 March 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

I can pretty much tell you for certain there won't be a ticket system, as Acen staff have consistently said on the forums that it just didn't work, despite some con-goers saying they liked it.

As for lining up, ALL sorts of concert-goers are used to lining up early for a show. That's not restricted to J-rock fans. I can again tell you for a fact that people will probably be allowed to line up hours in advance. They never even followed that 30 minute rule last year, not even close. However, lining up at 3AM (or, more likely, 9-11AM) should be discouraged at Acen, in my honest opinion. It's unfair to people who are going to Acen to enjoy the convention as a whole but still deserve a shot at seeing the concert. Not to mention, there's a concert before LM.C (Eyeshine), and non-LM.C fans should have the opportunity of seeing it without having to wait in line 10 hours with LM.C fans. The thing is, this concert is part of a larger event, and I think a lot of people would feel it's smarter to limit the amount of time someone can wait in line. Otherwise it creates a messy and frustrating situation.

My apologies, I wasn't saying that people would line up at 3AM for this particular concert, it was just an example of what is usually done at a lot of venues (excluding House of Blues). It's just seen as part of the experience, and a lot of people actually enjoy it since that's where a lot of people meet and make friends. I'm aware that they won't strictly adhere to the 30 minutes prior rule, but I do believe that they should put something more realistic like 3 or 4 hours before the show, or saying that as soon as the line is cleared in for the prior event, then the concert line may form, rather than having people, who follow the 30 minute rule, show up half an hour before and getting angry that the line already stretches around the building twice. It doesn't make sense to tell us a half hour if everyone is just going to wait around almost the entire day, which is why I wish they would do at least the color coded tickets so people can be allowed in in batches, freeing up more space around the main programming room and giving people more time to enjoy the convention. Is it impossible to just have someone stand by the Main Programming Room to hand out marked tickets in the morning

The difference is that Eyeshine is having multiple concerts that weekend, so fans for LM.C just have this one go. Most LM.C fans probably only see this as an LM.C concert with an opening act, and, really, that's exactly what it is. This is their only stop in the USA on a Word Tour, and I don't believe it to be fair to people who paid the price of the badge for the entire convention or even just the day badge to end up in line behind people who are just there for the sake of seeing A concert and don't even care for the band, when if they had the chance the fans would have bought a concert ticket to wait in line all day to see them, and know more or less where they'll be in the crowd rather than possibly getting kicked out of line because IRT decides that maybe it is too early to allow people to start lining up and kick everyone out to reform a new line.

#70 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

View PostRezik, on 31 March 2012 - 01:24 PM, said:

The difference is that Eyeshine is having multiple concerts that weekend, so fans for LM.C just have this one go. Most LM.C fans probably only see this as an LM.C concert with an opening act, and, really, that's exactly what it is. This is their only stop in the USA on a Word Tour, and I don't believe it to be fair to people who paid the price of the badge for the entire convention or even just the day badge to end up in line behind people who are just there for the sake of seeing A concert and don't even care for the band, when if they had the chance the fans would have bought a concert ticket to wait in line all day to see them, and know more or less where they'll be in the crowd rather than possibly getting kicked out of line because IRT decides that maybe it is too early to allow people to start lining up and kick everyone out to reform a new line.

Actually, Eyeshine is a concert. Not merely an opening act. You're totally brushing Eyeshine - and their fans - aside as less important than LM.C fans, or the LM.C concert in general.

To me, this is silly, because now you're getting into a "who deserves to see the concert/get a good spot more" thing. Lets be honest about this. It doesn't matter whether a person only wants to see a general Japanese/J-rock concert, or if they've been listening to LM.C since they're 5 years old. Neither "type" of concert-goer here is more special than the other. You get your spot based on when you show up, and everyone has a right to go to the concert no matter how big of a fan they are. No one deserves a specific spot, or deserves to get in more than someone else.

Besides, these people are paying the same amount as you to get into the convention. For those only coming to see LM.C who may only be staying for one day, other con-goers will be staying Friday-Sunday and spending more money to stay in a hotel. So, if they're spending more money than you, they could argue they deserve a better spot!

All in all, it's just a silly argument.

#71 User is offline   Rezik 

• Pip

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

View PostDarkspawn, on 31 March 2012 - 01:32 PM, said:

Actually, Eyeshine is a concert. Not merely an opening act. You're totally brushing Eyeshine - and their fans - aside as less important than LM.C fans, or the LM.C concert in general.

To me, this is silly, because now you're getting into a "who deserves to see the concert/get a good spot more" thing. Lets be honest about this. It doesn't matter whether a person only wants to see a general Japanese/J-rock concert, or if they've been listening to LM.C since they're 5 years old. Neither "type" of concert-goer here is more special than the other. You get your spot based on when you show up, and everyone has a right to go to the concert no matter how big of a fan they are. No one deserves a specific spot, or deserves to get in more than someone else.

Besides, these people are paying the same amount as you to get into the convention. For those only coming to see LM.C who may only be staying for one day, other con-goers will be staying Friday-Sunday and spending more money to stay in a hotel. So, if they're spending more money than you, they could argue they deserve a better spot!

All in all, it's just a silly argument.

Now I believe you're just being rude; a silly argument? I am merely saying what I believe to be how some people might see this situation, I understand if that's not how you see it, and I said nothing to brush off Eyeshine, I'm actually excited to have the chance to experience another band live, they actually have a similar sound/feel to one of my favorite bands. I'm also staying for the whole weekend and have saved up a lot of money so I can purchase things at the convention so I don't understand why you seem to be trying to attack me in such a way, I was merely stating that the LM.C fans who JUST want to got to the concert don't have any other choice than to come to ACen since there are no other showings in the US or even in Canada. Quite honestly, I see where you are coming from and what you're saying, but to brush me off as being 'silly' is quite uncalled for. I also didn't say anything about 'deserving' a better place, I was just saying if people are going to wait around longer than others to try to get a better place in line, then they have the right, yes? If that's going to happen anyway, why not have IRT able to control it from the getgo with well set ground rules? Really that's all I was trying to say while explaining why it's important that it is set up.

#72 User is offline   HuiYa 

• Pip

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

View PostDarkspawn, on 31 March 2012 - 01:32 PM, said:

Besides, these people are paying the same amount as you to get into the convention. For those only coming to see LM.C who may only be staying for one day, other con-goers will be staying Friday-Sunday and spending more money to stay in a hotel. So, if they're spending more money than you, they could argue they deserve a better spot

Stop getting defensive about this. We are trying to make a statement about what usually happens at a con or at a show. I am not saying it is going to happen but to say that you are staying at a hotel so you deserve a better spot, they what about those who are flying and staying at hotel and want to wait in line. They should be in the front right? Okay so all concert goers are the same, If one person has many of there cds, knows there songs and there history they are the same as someone who has a hour to kill between panels and doesnt know anything about the band? No, there is a difference between them, what I want to say is that those who are seeing Eyeshine have two way to see them. L.M.C is playing one show, ONE SHOW IN NORTH AMERICA. Can you understand how big this is to their fans. No probably not.... Im not saying some people should see them and some shouldn't, in fact I want everyone to see them and understand Y I love them so much. I just don't get were think that this isn't a big deal? This is huge for ACEN as well as other con were brush noff ACEB and using them as model OF WHAT NOT to be like. L.M.C is putting ACEN back on the map with this concert and AP coming to it. The line up is part of the experience for us.... we love doing this kind of thing. It how Jrock concert go.... all over the UNITED STATES... no just Chicago. Really us posting is not going to change anything, people are going to do whatever they want. So yeah I guess you'll just have to wait and see.... hopefully it will run smoothly and with no drama..... but this is ACEN and that rarely ever happens. I'm I telling you not to go and experience the con, no. I am telling you that there are a lot of fans coming, yes. I am telling you that this what this concert is maybe going to be like, yes. I am telling you to like it, no not at all. What I want to say is that L.M.C is gonna be big and IRT needs to be prepared more so then ever for this. They can't brush it off.... I can see your point but you can't see mine. Have you been to a big name show like L.M.C before? If not why are you fighting with people that have?

#73 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

Well, it is kind of a silly argument. I'm calling your argument silly, not you as a person, because I have no clue who you are. I'm being honest. Life doesn't work that way - we don't get what we want just because we think we deserve it more. That's like going into the grocery store and telling a woman who just took the last bag of Oreos, "well, I'm depressed because my dog just died, so I deserve those more than you to cheer me up." Or going into a store at the mall and telling someone who just took the last t-shirt you wanted, "well, I deserve that more because I look better in purple than you do." You can't say, "well, I'm a bigger fan so I deserve to be ahead of non-fans in the line." I'm not ATTACKING you or anything. But I think you're being unrealistic and not very nice to people who may not be huge LM.C fans, but are still interested in seeing the concert. It's not a matter of who deserves what. I fully understand that a lot of people feel that way, but it's an entitlement issue they need to resolve ASAP. Your place in line is determined by when you show up. And hopefully Acen is going to take control of that situation and not allow people to line up insanely early. Because that just creates a mess in the hall, especially when the same room has events before the concert. And again, no one should have to line up 7+ hours in advance. If this was a general concert, sure, fine. But at a convention, people need to have a stab at going to other events. They shouldn't be forced to give up their entire day just to see a concert. Controlling the placement and timing of a line is more than fair.

Edit: Yes, I've been to big name concerts before. What does that have to do with anything? Most people here already understand what happens at a popular concert at a convention. Acen certainly understands. It's not like LM.C is the first famous group to come here. Honestly, I don't understand why you think I can't grasp that you love LM.C. I get it, trust me. But yes, I still feel that casual fans or even non-LM.C fans equally deserve to see the concert as much as you. I'm sorry if that bothers you, but that's my opinion. I don't feel that being a fan means you're entitled to special treatment or a certain spot in line. At events like this, it's just a combination of timing and luck. And once again, my hope is Acen will not allow anyone to line up so early that anyone who wants even a CHANCE of getting in line has to abandon all their plans and sit on the floor/outside all day, waiting, waiting, waiting...

My point about spending more money and thus deserving a better spot wasn't actually a point I was trying to make that I actually believe. Because I don't believe it - it's yet another silly argument. It was an example of how when you argue about who deserves something more, you're just running in circles. No one deserves to see the concert more. That was my point.

I'm not angry, and I'm not trying to be "defensive." But I am trying to have a critical discussion with you about the points you're making. This is a discussion board. It happens. Just because I'm less than 100% positive with the points you're making doesn't mean I'm mad or trying to be a big meanie.

This post has been edited by Darkspawn: 31 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

#74 User is offline   HuiYa 

• Pip

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

View PostDarkspawn, on 31 March 2012 - 02:10 PM, said:

Well, it is kind of a silly argument. I'm calling your argument silly, not you as a person, because I have no clue who you are. I'm being honest. Life doesn't work that way - we don't get what we want just because we think we deserve it more. That's like going into the grocery store and telling a woman who just took the last bag of Oreos, "well, I'm depressed because my dog just died, so I deserve those more than you to cheer me up." Or going into a store at the mall and telling someone who just took the last t-shirt you wanted, "well, I deserve that more because I look better in purple than you do." You can't say, "well, I'm a bigger fan so I deserve to be ahead of non-fans in the line." I'm not ATTACKING you or anything. But I think you're being unrealistic and not very nice to people who may not be huge LM.C fans, but are still interested in seeing the concert. It's not a matter of who deserves what. I fully understand that a lot of people feel that way, but it's an entitlement issue they need to resolve ASAP. Your place in line is determined by when you show up. And hopefully Acen is going to take control of that situation and not allow people to line up insanely early. Because that just creates a mess in the hall, especially when the same room has events before the concert. And again, no one should have to line up 7+ hours in advance. If this was a general concert, sure, fine. But at a convention, people need to have a stab at going to other events. They shouldn't be forced to give up their entire day just to see a concert. Controlling the placement and timing of a line is more than fair.

Edit: Yes, I've been to big name concerts before. What does that have to do with anything? Most people here already understand what happens at a popular concert at a convention. Acen certainly understands. It's not like LM.C is the first famous group to come here. Honestly, I don't understand why you think I can't grasp that you love LM.C. I get it, trust me. But yes, I still feel that casual fans or even non-LM.C fans equally deserve to see the concert as much as you. I'm sorry if that bothers you, but that's my opinion. I don't feel that being a fan means you're entitled to special treatment or a certain spot in line. At events like this, it's just a combination of timing and luck. And once again, my hope is Acen will not allow anyone to line up so early that anyone who wants even a CHANCE of getting in line has to abandon all their plans and sit on the floor/outside all day, waiting, waiting, waiting...

My point about spending more money and thus deserving a better spot wasn't actually a point I was trying to make that I actually believe. Because I don't believe it - it's yet another silly argument. It was an example of how when you argue about who deserves something more, you're just running in circles. No one deserves to see the concert more. That was my point.

I'm not angry, and I'm not trying to be "defensive." But I am trying to have a critical discussion with you about the points you're making. This is a discussion board. It happens. Just because I'm less than 100% positive with the points you're making doesn't mean I'm mad or trying to be a big meanie.

I'm not saying I need a special place in line, But this is how life is. Its not a perfect place. I never said that you were mad or mean.... In fact I sit here read your post and get what you are saying really. Its just real hard to believe that is going to go down like that and well I really dont think that it will. So I hope that you get a great spot in the concert/line and hope you have fun. <3

#75 User is offline   OtakuAngelD 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59232

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

Here's my two cents. And I know that's not much. I'm a fellow Con Goer. I am not going to either of the concerts. However, I will be going back and froth between different hotels, the convention center, panal rooms, photoshoots. Can you guarentee that your lining up 3 -4 hours early will not impeed my safe movement from one venue to another? Why I ask this is because the larger and longer the line, and the longer the line stays in an area, the harder it is for fellow con goers to move around said line. We need to use the walkway that you are sitting/stading/linging up on/genally blocking. Unless you can keep a line single file and in an orderly fashion and not block a safe passage way for non-concert goers, I can see a reason behind the 1/2 hour rule. It means that non-concert goers can pass without having to trip, run into, or walk in the streets to avoid the gaint line for whatever the event may be.

I say this because every single year, it is those lining up early for concerts/raves/main events blocking the sidewalk that makes travel hazardous to their fellow congoers.

This post has been edited by OtakuAngelD: 31 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

2015 Cosplay
Mondo Oowada - DanganRonpa
Tsukishima Kei - Haikyuu
Atobe Keigo - Prince of Tennis
Mankanshoku Mako - Kill la Kill if it gets done on time

#76 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

View PostOtakuAngelD, on 31 March 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

Here's my two cents. And I know that's not much. I'm a fellow Con Goer. I am not going to either of the concerts. However, I will be going back and froth between different hotels, the convention center, panal rooms, photoshoots. Can you guarentee that your lining up 3 -4 hours early will not impeed my safe movement from one venue to another? Why I ask this is because the larger and longer the line, and the longer the line stays in an area, the harder it is for fellow con goers to move around said line. We need to use the walkway that you are sitting/stading/linging up on/genally blocking. Unless you can keep a line single file and in an orderly fashion and not block a safe passage way for non-concert goers, I can see a reason behind the 1/2 hour rule. It means that non-concert goers can pass without having to trip, run into, or walk in the streets to avoid the gaint line for whatever the event may be.

I say this because every single year, it is those lining up early for concerts/raves/main events blocking the sidewalk that makes travel hazardous to their fellow congoers.

I was just about to post something to this effect, thanks for taking the words out of my mouth :)

Also, it really isn't fair to have lines that run all day long. Personally, I'm not going to the concerts. I don't have an interest in either of the bands. But I know last year I wanted to go to the Soap Bubble, was wondering around outside with a friend for a while, and noticed I accidently ended up near the front of the SB line FOUR HOURS BEFORE IT WAS SUPPOSED TO START. No way was I going to wait that long, even though I really wanted to go. I came back maybe an hour or so before it started and the line was so long there was no hope of going. So there could be a HUGE LM.C fan that is DYING to see the concert but wants to do other things at the con as well...most people don't want to give up an entire day to see a concert. And they should have every much right as you to be at the concert. Honestly, I love the idea of some kind of a ticket system, but apparently that won't happen. I think it'd be a great idea in the years to come though if Acen sold tickets for the concerts/big dances ahead of time that ensured you entrance right when they opened without waiting in line...maybe 5-10$. If you don't buy a ticket, you take your chances with the lines. That would eliminate a lot of the people who just sit in line blocking the paths all day. (And it's no fun to yelled at by IRT to stay on the sidewalk when there is no sidewalk because everyone in line is blocking it.)
ACen 2017 Plans
Thursday: Maki Nishikino (Swimsuit, Circus) [Love Live! School Idol Project]
Friday: Rider [Fate/Stay Night], Maki Nishikino (Little Devil) Kisumi Shigino [Free!], Kae Serinuma (Gym) [Kiss Him Not Me!]
Saturday: Layla Hamilton [Kaleido Star] 100%, Zen (Spicy Jalapeno) [Mystic Messenger] Maki Nishikino (Sunny Day Song)
Sunday: Christophe Giacometti (Rapsodie Espagnole) [Yuri!!! on Ice] 100%

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takahashi Cosplay

#77 User is offline   Gabichox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59269

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

View PostDarkspawn, on 28 March 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:

So what new strategies are being put in place to avoid double lines? The line for FLOW last year was a nightmare. IRT told us to line up inside, so we did! All the sudden about 30 minutes before being let in, IRT tells us we all have to move outside behind ANOTHER line of well over 100 people. Surprise! Needless to say, someone started crying. It was a nightmare.

Also, with bags, IRT first said no one could bring bags into the concert. Some people left the line, grumbling, because they couldn't return their bags to a hotel that was 20 minutes away. And then, about 15-20 minutes after we had started entering the room, people started flooding in with bags (and cell phones, with IRT had made a huge fuss over when we stood in line). I was so confused. I asked IRT on the way out, and this guy just told me they started letting people in even if they did have bags. What's the rule, guys? Frankly, I can't not have a bag with me, so I dunno what I'll do...

I think before issues such as who deserves to get in or when we should line up, these issues should be addressed, highlighted, underlined, etc. etc..
It doesn't matter if you line up 4 hours or 30 minutes before an event, if IRT tells you to suddenly move to the back of the line because they didn't know where they wanted to start it, it's going to suck. If they suddenly say you can't have a bag and you have nowhere to store it, you're going to miss the concert. IRT needs to get it straight on where the line is starting and basically... just be more organized.
ACen 2015 cosplay;
[Thursday]Yamada Aoi - Working!!
[Friday] Diane - Nanatsu no Taizai
[Saturday] Saria - Zelda / Agnes Oblige - Bravely Default
------------------------------------
I make gams
I love Donald Duck. I am Donald Duck.

#78 User is offline   The Commodore 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 18210

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

The first year I went to ACen, if you wanted to go to a big event like Masquerade, concert, etc. you had to pick up a ticket from a booth near registration. I honestly wish you guys would go back to this system. Lines prevented me from seeing FLOW last year, and I'd really like to see LM.C this year, but I'm not going to waste 4 hours or whatever of the limited time during my weekend sitting in a line. I'd even pay a few bucks for a ticket like was suggested a few posts up to ensure myself a place and not have to wait in a massive line.

If ACen is going to keep bringing in these big international acts, they really need to find an adequate, orderly way to manage the obvious interest in them that is going to occur.
- TEAM 2L2Q -
ACEN 2011: The Last Judgement

#79 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

What I find kinda amusing is that con-goers are frequently talking about how much they liked the ticket system, etc, but Acen staff is like, "oh no it didn't work we didn't like it."

If your consumers liked it...

#80 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

View PostDarkspawn, on 01 April 2012 - 12:48 PM, said:

What I find kinda amusing is that con-goers are frequently talking about how much they liked the ticket system, etc, but Acen staff is like, "oh no it didn't work we didn't like it."

If your consumers liked it...

and they had it set up so even if you didn't have a ticket you could still get in after the ticket holders. why does acen hate the ticket system so much??!
2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Honoka-Dead or Alive Last Roumd
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#81 User is offline   Roark 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 11290

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

View PostDarkspawn, on 31 March 2012 - 02:10 PM, said:

You can't say, "well, I'm a bigger fan so I deserve to be ahead of non-fans in the line."

So, how do you explain bands - both ones that fill arenas and small independents - who release pre-sale tickets to fan club members well in advance of actual sales? Or tiered ticket pricing where closer seats are more expensive? Or gold/platinum packages that give advanced entry, a chance to meet the band, excellent seating, and all sorts of swag... for a really high price, of course.

It's not uncommon in the music industry for "bigger fans" to enjoy some types of privilege. With fan club pre-sales, more active fans or fans with seniority sometimes get priority. With tiered tickets, people willing to pay more money (bigger fans) can get themselves in faster or get closer to the stage.

The complaint isn't that "I'm a bigger fan and deserve to be ahead of everyone else." The complaint is "I'm a huge fan and the only avenue to express that is to wait in line for hours on end."

#82 User is offline   Stormy-chan 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 51456

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

If this band is so popular why are they having the show at a hotel instead of a place where you could let thousands in in place of the hotel where they are limited to hundreds??

For something this popular they really should have tickets since seating will be limited and I doubt anyone will leave during the show if given a choice to allow anyone else in to see once things start.

I hope this does not turn into a fiasco at the convention......

As far as lines on the sidewalks the trick is making people stay single file. They always try to bunch up and have a group which blocks the side walk for us regular con goers and we have to go in the dangerous street to get by...

Tickets or wrist bands would solve so so so many issues with lines and who actually gets to go in and see this band.

I dont think they thought this out very well when planning on inviting them to ACEN to perform :(

#83 User is offline   HuiYa 

• Pip

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

View PostStormy-chan, on 02 April 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

If this band is so popular why are they having the show at a hotel instead of a place where you could let thousands in in place of the hotel where they are limited to hundreds??

For something this popular they really should have tickets since seating will be limited and I doubt anyone will leave during the show if given a choice to allow anyone else in to see once things start.

I hope this does not turn into a fiasco at the convention......

As far as lines on the sidewalks the trick is making people stay single file. They always try to bunch up and have a group which blocks the side walk for us regular con goers and we have to go in the dangerous street to get by...

Tickets or wrist bands would solve so so so many issues with lines and who actually gets to go in and see this band.

I dont think they thought this out very well when planning on inviting them to ACEN to perform :(

The reason these bands play cons is that it way way way cheaper. Most cons pay for the band and band staff air plane tickets, hotel and sometimes food for the weekend. The band plays and sell merch, and makes more money then they are spending. They dont have to deal with venue rentals and such.

For most shows in the chicago area that I have gone to, we tend to write numbers on are hands with marker. That way if you want to eat or go to the bathroom you have a number in the line but I doubt that will happen here. I hope this goes well so that we and ACEN will be able to enjoy bigger bands in the future! <3

#84 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

View PostHuiYa, on 02 April 2012 - 02:50 PM, said:

For most shows in the chicago area that I have gone to, we tend to write numbers on are hands with marker. That way if you want to eat or go to the bathroom you have a number in the line but I doubt that will happen here. I hope this goes well so that we and ACEN will be able to enjoy bigger bands in the future! <3

If you ask an IRT or staff watching the line, they usually have no issue holding your place. However, considering the wait should just be 30 minutes, I'm hoping most people remember to knock that out prior to getting in line.
2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Honoka-Dead or Alive Last Roumd
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#85 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

View PostRoark, on 02 April 2012 - 09:17 AM, said:

So, how do you explain bands - both ones that fill arenas and small independents - who release pre-sale tickets to fan club members well in advance of actual sales? Or tiered ticket pricing where closer seats are more expensive? Or gold/platinum packages that give advanced entry, a chance to meet the band, excellent seating, and all sorts of swag... for a really high price, of course.

It's not uncommon in the music industry for "bigger fans" to enjoy some types of privilege. With fan club pre-sales, more active fans or fans with seniority sometimes get priority. With tiered tickets, people willing to pay more money (bigger fans) can get themselves in faster or get closer to the stage.

The complaint isn't that "I'm a bigger fan and deserve to be ahead of everyone else." The complaint is "I'm a huge fan and the only avenue to express that is to wait in line for hours on end."

Gold/platinum packages exist to earn craploads of money for the band. I mean....isn't that obvious? In the end, it's all about money, not about how these singers/bands value certain fans over others. This has nothing to do with anything being more special or deserving than someone else.

These are all sales move. A lot of the time, fan clubs charge money to join. And thus, these fans get a chance to spend even more money before everyone else! In cases where the fan club is free to join, it's still a great sales move that increases loyalty and goodwill toward the band. You don't wanna tick off your fans. It's not like the people who don't have the money to join the fan club, or who just aren't into that sort of thing, are less deserving of tickets. Most big name bands these days don't really care who comes to their concerts as long as they pay. So whether it's someone who's loved them since they were 5, or some random guy off the street who was bored and needed something to do, money is money is money.

You'd be waiting in a line regardless. Concerts = lines.

This post has been edited by Darkspawn: 02 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

#86 User is offline   HuiYa 

• Pip

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

View PostDarkspawn, on 02 April 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

Gold/platinum packages exist to earn craploads of money for the band. I mean....isn't that obvious? In the end, it's all about money, not about how these singers/bands value certain fans over others. This has nothing to do with anything being more special or deserving than someone else.

These are all sales move. A lot of the time, fan clubs charge money to join. And thus, these fans get a chance to spend even more money before everyone else! In cases where the fan club is free to join, it's still a great sales move that increases loyalty and goodwill toward the band. You don't wanna tick off your fans. It's not like the people who don't have the money to join the fan club, or who just aren't into that sort of thing, are less deserving of tickets. Most big name bands these days don't really care who comes to their concerts as long as they pay. So whether it's someone who's loved them since they were 5, or some random guy off the street who was bored and needed something to do, money is money is money.

Its not always about the money, many many many band guys are down to earth people who care and truly want to meet their fans. Yes do the use meet and greet packages to make money, of course. If you want to know about the music industry, that is wear most of the money for American and European bands comes from, the tour and its merch. Asian bands run very differently, really the "big bands" have to hold 2nd jobs to make ends meet. They live off what they make as a 2nd job and what the fans bring them. I mean fans bring some bands bento boxes and canned food. A lot of them tend to work in clothing shop and coffee houses. Its not like american bands at all, They play not to become rich, they play because they love music. There fans are what keep them playing and creating music, So they tend to cherish them a lot. Sorry but I cant stand when I hear that is all about money, because for a lot of bands its not. It about about making music and making people happy.

#87 User is offline   The Commodore 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 18210

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

View PostDarkspawn, on 02 April 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

Yes, lines of some sort are a given. But with almost every concert I've been to, I have my ticket, I show up 25 or 30 minutes beforehand, and then I get let in and just stand where I please. I don't have to wait around for 4 hours just for a chance to maybe get in.

I guess what I would like to know is if the 30 minute line-up thing is actually going to be strictly enforced this year.
- TEAM 2L2Q -
ACEN 2011: The Last Judgement

#88 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

View PostHuiYa, on 02 April 2012 - 09:38 PM, said:

Its not always about the money, many many many band guys are down to earth people who care and truly want to meet their fans. Yes do the use meet and greet packages to make money, of course. If you want to know about the music industry, that is wear most of the money for American and European bands comes from, the tour and its merch. Asian bands run very differently, really the "big bands" have to hold 2nd jobs to make ends meet. They live off what they make as a 2nd job and what the fans bring them. I mean fans bring some bands bento boxes and canned food. A lot of them tend to work in clothing shop and coffee houses. Its not like american bands at all, They play not to become rich, they play because they love music. There fans are what keep them playing and creating music, So they tend to cherish them a lot. Sorry but I cant stand when I hear that is all about money, because for a lot of bands its not. It about about making music and making people happy.

Er...I have never heard of one of the major Japanese or Korean singers/band members working in a clothing shop or fast food joint, to be honest. Perhaps you're talking more about less famous/indie singers/bands?

And sure, these people all play because they love music, but you can't live off love. I know a lot of fans want to see celebrities as these selfless beings who love their fans as much as the fans love them, but I honestly don't feel that's always the case. Particularly not with the big name celebs. But I'm talking more about US-based celebrities, here.

Also, there's no way they're gonna attempt the 30-minute rule this year. They didn't last year in the slightest.

This post has been edited by Darkspawn: 03 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

#89 User is offline   Gabichox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59269

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

View PostDarkspawn, on 03 April 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

Er...I have never heard of one of the major Japanese or Korean singers/band members working in a clothing shop or fast food joint, to be honest. Perhaps you're talking more about less famous/indie singers/bands?

And sure, these people all play because they love music, but you can't live off love. I know a lot of fans want to see celebrities as these selfless beings who love their fans as much as the fans love them, but I honestly don't feel that's always the case. Particularly not with the big name celebs. But I'm talking more about US-based celebrities, here.

Japanese entertainment is very similar to US in this subject. Granted they aren't millionaires with huge mansions out in Hollywood; they still are pretty much able to support themselves once they are major..... That's.... essentially the whole point of becoming major aside from expanding distribution and bigger venues. As long as the band is active, holding lives and appearing places [Essentially not relying on CD sales which earns them nothing] they shouldn't be this picture of a helpless unemployed band with no way of even feeding themselves. :/
I'm curious to know who HuiYa has met working in a coffee shop.. You can't just lump indie artists in with major artists. I've never seen or heard of any big band on a major label working a 2nd job. If I can get some names or proof I'll believe it but right now it just seems like fan delusions. Which is just like the "being friends with the band" thing.

This post has been edited by Gabichox: 03 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

ACen 2015 cosplay;
[Thursday]Yamada Aoi - Working!!
[Friday] Diane - Nanatsu no Taizai
[Saturday] Saria - Zelda / Agnes Oblige - Bravely Default
------------------------------------
I make gams
I love Donald Duck. I am Donald Duck.

#90 User is offline   Darkspawn 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

View PostGabichox, on 03 April 2012 - 05:11 PM, said:

Japanese entertainment is very similar to US in this subject. Granted they aren't millionaires with huge mansions out in Hollywood; they still are pretty much able to support themselves once they are major..... That's.... essentially the whole point of becoming major aside from expanding distribution and bigger venues. As long as the band is active, holding lives and appearing places [Essentially not relying on CD sales which earns them nothing] they shouldn't be this picture of a helpless unemployed band with no way of even feeding themselves. :/
I'm curious to know who HuiYa has met working in a coffee shop.. You can't just lump indie artists in with major artists. I've never seen or heard of any big band on a major label working a 2nd job. If I can get some names or proof I'll believe it but right now it just seems like fan delusions. Which is just like the "being friends with the band" thing.

If most of the Korean/Japanese/Taiwanese/Chinese/Etc band members/singers/actors/etc I know of showed up in a coffee shop (much less worked in one), there'd be a freaking riot. Some of these Korean and Japanese fangirls are even more hardcore than American ones! Honestly I've never heard of an extremely famous celebrity having to work a second job. Sounds odd to me. Certainly they can't be that famous, then.

Yeah. I mean, I'm not trying to be mean here, but as someone who has met a fair amount of pretty famous people, it's very clear that to many of them, you're...really not that important. That's certainly not always the case - one can't argue that every celebrity in the world is a cold-hearted, money-grubbing jerk. For example, I recently met Tom Felton (Draco from HP), and when I thanked him and told him quite honestly that I could never deal with all this (referring to the hundreds if not thousands of screaming, crying girls in line behind me), he told me that we were the ones who kept it all going year after year. He then thanked me for coming, called me "lovely," and wished me safe travels. Seemed like a very decent and friendly guy. But some of the girls there gave him photos of themselves. PHOTOS OF THEMSELVES. I kid you not.

You guys....these celebrities don't want photos of you. They don't LOVE you. Many are immensely grateful and will treat you with the utmost respect, because of course they appreciate that you've made their dreams possible. But no - they don't love you.

This post has been edited by Darkspawn: 03 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users