Anime Central Forums: SoyCon 4 | The Largest Cosplay Gathering of The Midwest - Anime Central Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

SoyCon 4 | The Largest Cosplay Gathering of The Midwest An Annual Social Cosplay Gathering Event

#31 User is offline   chamgirl89 

• Tentacle Glomper
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 10098

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:34 PM

Just a quick question about section b on the photoshoot day. The Jackson Drive/Lakeshore drive location is near the fountain, correct?. Main reason I'm asking this is because my friend and I don't want to wander away too far from the Buckingham fountain area and get lost on our way back home to the train station (we did that once and are not doing it again)
Tekosexual

ACen '17 plans: Gijinka Blue Eyes White Dragon (Yugioh), Princess Zelda (Legend of Zelda), Someone from FMA, Shelly (original GBA Pokemon Sapphire)

#32 User is offline   Soy Sauce 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 4725

Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:23 PM

View Postchamgirl89, on 19 June 2011 - 04:34 PM, said:

Just a quick question about section b on the photoshoot day. The Jackson Drive/Lakeshore drive location is near the fountain, correct?. Main reason I'm asking this is because my friend and I don't want to wander away too far from the Buckingham fountain area and get lost on our way back home to the train station (we did that once and are not doing it again)

Yep, that section is right near the fountain and that giant field with that stage. FIrst half of the day will be at Buckingham Fountain and the other half will be on the opposite side of Jackson.
SoyCon 8 | The Island Paradise
July 18-19, 2015 in Rolling Meadows, IL
Join us on Facebook, Tumblr, and Twitter as well!

#33 User is offline   Soy Sauce 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:50 AM

For those who were wondering about the situations in downtown Chicago involving the "crimes", we are still trying to search for an alternate location for the photoshoot. With limited time, it's possible we may proceed to go through the photoshoot day as scheduled. We highly recommend to not travel alone. We want everyone to be safe & secured for this year's SoyCon. We'll do our best to keep you updated.

#34 User is offline   Soy Sauce 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:27 PM

Hello everyone,

So most of you may be wondering about the situation of the photoshoot location for this year's SoyCon. After numerous visits downtown and analyzing the area over at the Buckingham and Chicago areas, I would like to announce that the location will remain in downtown Chicago as scheduled. With that said, everyone should be aware of these guidelines.

- If breaking off from the SoyCon areas, please have a small group of people guiding you. We recommend not traveling alone no matter if it's on the transit or on the big intersections.

- Keep your important possessions with you at all times. SoyCon will not be responsible for any lost items.

- We wary of what areas you're traveling to. We recommend to stay as close to the public areas as possible.

- Avoid hunger or thirst during the day. Even if you don't feel hungry or thirsty, at least put something into your system. You may forget since you're having too much fun out there. Water fountains and a small cafe shop is available within the Buckingham Fountain area.

- If you don't have enough for the food locations there, pack a lunch. It's a big park so having a picnic nearby wouldn't be a bad idea.

- If sun is not your thing, bring an umbrella. There may be times we'll be out in the open under the sunshine. Trees are also around the area if you want some shade.

- Have fun, be safe, and plan ahead. We want everyone's SoyCon to be as smooth as possible.

Unless something that's extremely drastic happens from now til the photoshoot, SoyCon's Photoshoot Day is confirmed to happen in downtown Chicago.

Questions or Concerns? Feel free to contact me via PM or Email at SoyCon@soycon.com

#35 User is offline   BreBre716 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 59491

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:27 PM

im most likely coming to this
ACen 2016 COSPLAY

Minako Arisato/FemMC : Persona 3

Misato Katusragi: Neon Genesis Evangelion
Tidus : Final Fantasy X
Chara : Undertale
Little sister : Boruto Sasuke : Naruto and Frisk : Undertale
Little Cousin : Unconfirmed Pony : My Little Pony Friendship is Magic

#36 User is offline   Raptree 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 59475

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:12 PM

:( Sad face, I'm gonna be in Florida that day, but you can expect me to be ther next year :)
:.:Acen 2012 Cosplay:.:

Black Rock Shooter Male Version (Friday)

Dell (Vocaloid) and Pikchu (Pokemon) (Saturday)

Mikuo and Dell (Vocaloid) (Sunday)

#37 User is offline   calmingbedlam 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60691

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:46 AM

I'm totally going! And this is actually my first convention, so saying that I'm excited is a little bit of an understatement!
Woohoo for being a convention nub!
ACen 2012!
Alois Trancy - Kuroshitsuji
Germany - Hetalia: Axis Powers

#38 User is offline   Soy Sauce 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:24 AM

Happy 4th of July! We hope you are well prepared for SoyCon this weekend! We are working hard to put on a great cosplay gathering event for all of you. Please make sure that you are well planned for this event. Such as transportation, rides, financial, time, location, and knowing what to do during the weekend. It will be a busy week for many of us

For those coming to the beach day on Friday, I'll be doing some research. I did get some notices on a few who are having trouble finding Northernly Island Beach. I just found out that it's also known as "12th Street Beach". I'll be heading out there this Thursday to find a meeting location and how long we are staying at that meeting location til we head out towards the beach. Please get in contact with someone you know if you are coming late. Probably from 12-12:30pm, we'll wait for everyone to arrive at the beach as best as they can. Drivers will probably need to pay for parking (in cash). I'll find out how much it costs after I get back that day.

5 more days everyone! Lets get this ball rollin!!!

#39 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

I was but I can't *bites lip*

A lot of problems happened so now I can't go. I still don't know when we are moving out of my place since I'm not the main person on the lease and a lot of other drama.

So just have to save for next year.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#40 User is offline   Roselia55 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 59223

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:00 PM

Our of curiosity, what kind of things happen on the 8th? o wo
It's going to be my first time at SoyCon, so out of curiosity, I just want to know. xD

This post has been edited by Roselia55: 04 July 2011 - 10:00 PM

#41 User is offline   Soy Sauce 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:33 AM

The 8th is mainly a hangout day. Nothing much, just a good time at the beach.

#42 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 7072
  • Location:Mississippi then New Jersey. Might make ACen 2018 :D

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:30 AM

i'd go, but i'm in delaware
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

#43 User is offline   chamgirl89 

• Tentacle Glomper
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10098

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:08 PM

View PostTekoMuto, on 05 July 2011 - 10:30 AM, said:

i'd go, but i'm in delaware

Much sadness :<
Tekosexual

ACen '17 plans: Gijinka Blue Eyes White Dragon (Yugioh), Princess Zelda (Legend of Zelda), Someone from FMA, Shelly (original GBA Pokemon Sapphire)

#44 User is offline   Soy Sauce 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:34 AM

Hello attendees,

Hopefully your progress towards SoyCon is going well.

Throwing another message with updates and things to know for the event.

Lets begin with Day 0 - Beach Day.

The Beach day is optional to go. There's no events or registration for this day. Just a huge beach party to get ahead start on meeting some SoyCon attendees. I'll be heading to the beach today to check on a few things, such as meeting location and parking price confirmation. Will update during late evening with photos. We will be meeting spot for the beach day at noon and will wait 30 mins for any late comers. If possible, bring some drinks in a cooler and snacks for everyone.

Day 1 - Photoshoot Day

Weather appears to be around the high 80s so it's gonna be hot. Hopefully your costume that you picked out is summery friendly. Just letting you know that registration for the photoshoot will begin at 10:00am. (See Map on website for details). There will be a temporarily closing of registration from 11:45am to 1:30pm for the large group photoshoot. All the information about the photoshoot day is on the website. I highly suggestion reading that.

Props are okay except for standard type guns, especially for those that have an orange tipped. Due to the previous events earlier this summer, we want everyone to not bring any of those props with you (sorry R.E./Metal Gear cosplayers). This is for the safety from you facing any authorities.

I would like to suggestion everyone to bring snacks and cold water. SoyCon suggest to keep your hunger down and avoidance of dehydration. Bring a cooler if you must. Grab an umbrella if you don't like being under the sun for a long time. It does help. Restrooms are available, but at your own risk. (It's the city, it won't be always 100% clean.)

Day 2 - Picnic

Will update later. Although, weather is showing isolated T-Storms w/ 30% chance of rain. I'll update everyone on the status of the picnic

Send me an email if you have questions at SoyCon@soycon.com or DgtlDrmStation@comcast.net.

~ Arthur "Soy Sauce" Garcia
Event Director of SoyCon

#45 User is offline   Soy Sauce 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:08 AM

Here we are everyone,

The biggest day of the summer. I hope everyone is well prepared for this coming day.

Please be sure that you have everything that you need for the photoshoot day. Forms, food, cosplay, etc.

Myself and the entire volunteer staff will be busy working hard to provide everyone the best SoyCon experience as possible.

Registration will open at 10am. If you can't print or forgot your form, we will have some available on site.

Location is at Buckingham Fountain. NOT ANYWHERE ELSE! Please remember this previous SoyCon attendees.

Weather looks pretty clear and hot. (80s) Please make sure you are properly hydrated and eating right.

There's nothing else I can really add at this point, hope to see you all soon! See you at Buckingham Fountain!!!

~ Arthur "Soy Sauce" Garcia
Event Director of SoyCon

#46 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:25 AM

so whats this incident involving bricks all about?
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

#47 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 20031

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:21 PM

View PostTekoMuto, on 10 July 2011 - 07:25 AM, said:

so whats this incident involving bricks all about?

I'm curious as well. There's a lot of rumors going around. There's also an informative article in the Chicago Tribune.

http://www.chicagotr...0,3914756.story
~~

#48 User is offline   Matt PNiewski 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 28392

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:50 PM

Well, I guess you can say Soycon was... DA BOMB!
Jimmy Olsen to the Real Life Superheroes.

#49 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 9607

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:26 PM

It was fun. I'll probably need a day or two to go through my photos. ^_^

#50 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:51 PM

View Postredx1, on 10 July 2011 - 01:21 PM, said:

I'm curious as well. There's a lot of rumors going around. There's also an informative article in the Chicago Tribune.

http://www.chicagotr...0,3914756.story

day made.
YES.

#51 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 20031

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:09 PM

Bottom line, as a Chicago resident, SoyCon just cost me as a taxpayer a lot of friggen money for this thing. No permits, no permission and no notice, you guys just infiltrate one of the biggest tourist attractions in Chicago. You bring props that look like realistic weapons and bombs to a public place. How dumb are all of you? Would you bring cosplay props the look like realistic weapons to Times Square in NYC?

I think the message is clear as day now. SoyCon needs to get super organized and tone it down or disband.
~~

#52 User is offline   Matt PNiewski 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:36 PM

View Postredx1, on 10 July 2011 - 07:09 PM, said:

Bottom line, as a Chicago resident, SoyCon just cost me as a taxpayer a lot of friggen money for this thing. No permits, no permission and no notice, you guys just infiltrate one of the biggest tourist attractions in Chicago. You bring props that look like realistic weapons and bombs to a public place. How dumb are all of you? Would you bring cosplay props the look like realistic weapons to Times Square in NYC?

I think the message is clear as day now. SoyCon needs to get super organized and tone it down or disband.

This was the action of one idiot. He's been arrested.

I'll give everyone at Soycon the benefit of the doubt until I know for sure that everyone knew that thing was being carried around. Or exactly what the thing was supposed to be.

Maybe, because I, as a Chicagoan, am used to huge wastes of Tax Payer money. Like, for example, that giant bean in the first place.

#53 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:36 PM

Would you bring cosplay props the look like realistic weapons to Times Square in NYC?

hey soy, if you wanna hold a Soy York event i can drive you and a few others to NYC.

It'll be great.

#54 User is offline   Matt PNiewski 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:39 PM

View PostTekoMuto, on 10 July 2011 - 07:36 PM, said:

hey soy, if you wanna hold a Soy York event i can drive you and a few others to NYC.

It'll be great.

Thanks for making me regret sticking up for you guys.

#55 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:45 PM

View PostMatt PNiewski, on 10 July 2011 - 07:39 PM, said:

Thanks for making me regret sticking up for you guys.

lol and i wasn't even there XD

#56 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:20 PM

I deem the bricks that made this possible as a single entity known as....

Brikkun

#57 User is offline   Keans 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 57580

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:58 PM

1)I saw no realistic looking weapons.
2)No it didnt, they will take your tax money regardless.
3)Your just faming and trolling for no reason, cause he wasnt with us. =)

TekoMuto said:

It'll be great.

Ah thats better, this is the best way to deal with any drama. Make FUN of it! =D *shakes your hand*

But seriosuly, everyone is just over reacting. Now back to not being Serious!!!

View PostTekoMuto, on 10 July 2011 - 08:20 PM, said:

I deem the bricks that made this possible as a single entity known as....

Brikkun

I think i see a Brick-Kun cosplay in the near future! =o
ACEN 2012:
Big O! - Roger Smith
Fairy Tail - Gajeel

ACEN 2013 - Gene Starwin(Outlaw Star)
Go check my FB Album and give me suggestions!!!
[/size]Facebook DeviantArt

#58 User is offline   Tiamat97 

• Mr. Insanity
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17897

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:14 PM

Yeah, the person charged had nothing to do with Soycon, in fact I'm looking at his facebook right now. He has no mutal friends with anyone from ACen or the forums and furthermore shares no likes as far as anime or video games. The only reason soycon was blamed is cause its an easy target, who better to blame than a bunch of oddly dressed people?
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1107...mp;id=586119408
My internship

Belongs in Damn Thread, if found please return to Kii
Spam Squad Member spam kill count:29 , Troll Hunter troll kill count: 1

#59 User is offline   DaphHime 

• Registration
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 303

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:23 PM

That just raises my further suspicion that it wasn't related to the event in question. I have a feeling they were all just picked on because they were dressed funny. The prankster must have spotted an easy target and went for it.
Acen Registration Staff 2010-???
Poss. cosplays: Marie (Soul Eater), Ukraine (Hetalia), Anri (DRRR!!), usual Gintama stuff.

Currently watching Soul Eater, Hetaila, Gintama, Durarara!!
Currently playing World of Warcraft (Sarhime/Syirens/Daphime (all Horde) @ Ravencrest if you want to look me up. :) )

Twitter//Facebook//Livejournal (friends only, but feel free to add!)

#60 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:27 PM

From the main page of fark: http://chicago.cbslo...ark-evacuation/

DeFrisco told WBBM Newsradio 780′s Steve Miller that he was taking part in what’s called cos-play – costume play – specifically, Soycon, billed as the largest cosplay gathering in the Midwest.

So he wasn't part of soycon, despite saying he was?
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users