Anime Central Forums: Anime Central 2011 Music Video Contest - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Anime Central 2011 Music Video Contest Posting of the rules for the Anime Central Anime Music Video Contest

#31 User is offline   ngsilver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 2476

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:33 AM

The FTP server is currently down for the network upgrade noted above. I will make another announcement once it is back up.
-Nate
AMV ADH/Secretary - ACEN 2011, 2010, 2009
AMV Staff - ACEN 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005

Music Video Contest Coordinator - Video/Audio Track(VAT) DH - Youmacon 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005

The AMV Wars - Chairman - Lead MC
This Week in AMVs

#32 User is offline   ngsilver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:02 PM

I apologize for the long wait. The technician who installed the new network (read cable modem) decided to take matters into his own hands with me away from the house and turn the modem into it's own router. I've been fighting with tech support ever since but finally got it all fixed up so now my in-house network properly maps my servers to the internet. So, the FTP server is back up and running now.

The practical upshot of all of this work however, is faster internet for me, and hopefully faster and more concurrent FTP connections for you.
-Nate

Music Video Contest Coordinator - Video/Audio Track(VAT) DH - Youmacon 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005

This Week in AMVs

#33 User is offline   pink haze 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 59854

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:20 PM

I uploaded entry #46 via FTP a while ago (although I didn't realize I was supposed to hit the "close FTP account" button until a few days later on the 8th). Should I keep waiting for the Video Status to update (it still says "Entry Form Recieved" and shouldn't it be 'Received'? =P) or should I assume I uploaded it wrong and try again?
Thank you~~

#34 User is offline   ngsilver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:12 PM

Entries are not marked as received until they pass initial QC. Once QC is done either the video will be marked as received or be marked as problems found if there were errors found with the video.

Check the status page now. On average it takes up to 3 days for entries to be QC'ed once the account has been closed.
-Nate

This Week in AMVs

#35 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:32 PM

Okay, so the audio issue with my video I can fix. However, what are you meaning by "progressive footage"? The research I'm doing isn't really helping me understand what exactly is wrong with my video.
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (60%; Fairy Tail)
Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series), Pearl (100%; Steven Universe)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#36 User is offline   ngsilver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:05 AM

http://www.animemusi...#mozTocId518283

Read up on that as it explains quite a bit about the difference between progressive and interlaced. Since we only accept progressive footage, you will need to submit your entry as a progressive entry and clear off the interlacing.

Perform Quality Control
-----------------------------------------------
The majority of the tech problems we see with submissions are the result of poor Quality Control. Do not create extra work for yourself. Just because your file plays in your media player do not assume you have formatted it properly. Always double check your file and compare the output you encoded. If you burned a disc don't assume a verify pass means its good. You must play back the file and watch it all the way through.

A program like http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en is useful for checking your file's formatting from its header but you should still always watch the entire video through to see if there are problems. Programs like this can often report things slightly different from playback so it still does not hurt to triple check and use another program to check and see how the file is actually being decoded.

This information pulled from the FAQ on this forum, details a program you can DL in order to view your final video in order to check to be sure it meets the requirements that we have set for your entry. Unless your entry meets these requirements you video will not be accepted.
-Nate

This Week in AMVs

#37 User is offline   ngsilver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:18 PM

A final note for those of you who still have outstanding FTP accounts. You must close the account before the system will release your video for the staff to begin basic QC and for your entry to be accepted. Once the deadline hits all accounts will automatically be closed. However please keep in mind that there may not be time for resubmission after the deadline for those of you who submitted entries that do not stand up to our requirements. So the sooner you close your account, the sooner we can QC your video and you can be notified if there are errors that need fixing so that you can re-submit.

If there is time for re-submission after the deadline, also keep in mind that you will only be given 1 shot to fix your errors. As I have had quite a few resubmissions so far that needed to be fixed multiple times this could be a problem. To keep this from happening PLEASE QC your video BEFORE submitting. I've received mail-in's that forgot this step that I've had to DQ.

Keep the following in mind as the deadline looms closer.

[•] MPEG-4 file format requirements
    [-] Progressive Video Only
    [-] 640 x 480, 848 x 480, 1280x720 Frame Size
    [-] 23.976 or 29.97 Frames per Second
    [-] H.264 video compression
    [-] 48 kHz AAC Stereo Audio. We recommend LC-AAC at 160 kbps instead of HE-AAC.
    [-] Display Aspect Ratio 1:1 (Remember you are submitting in square pixels).

Perform Quality Control
The majority of the tech problems we see with submissions are the result of poor Quality Control. Do not create extra work for yourself. Just because your file plays in your media player do not assume you have formatted it properly. Always double check your file and compare the output you encoded. If you burned a disc don't assume a verify pass means its good. You must play back the file and watch it all the way through.

A program like http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en is useful for checking your file's formatting from its header but you should still always watch the entire video through to see if there are problems. Programs like this can often report things slightly different from playback so it still does not hurt to triple check and use another program to check and see how the file is actually being decoded.

I use both the program listed in the FAQ above as well as GSpot in order to check the settings of a video, as well as watch it all the way through, before it passes the first QC check and the video is received.

-Nate

This Week in AMVs

#38 User is offline   LoveGaara 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 58566

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:33 PM

A few more questions, what about FMV's? (Fanart?) Also, are videos with fan recorded audio acceptable?
ACen 2012 Cosplay: MAYBE Wendy Marvell (Fairy Tail), Revolutionary!America/Alfred F. Jones (Hetalia: Axis Powers)

ACen 2011 Cosplay: Wendy Marvell(Fairy Tail) America/Alfred F. Jones(Hetalia: Axis Powers)
ACen 2010 Cosplay: Sakura Haruno(Naruto)

#39 User is offline   ngsilver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:12 PM

Hey all, now may be a VERY good time to check the entry status page to be sure that you're video wasn't received with problems and in need to re-submission. I have gotten a LOT of videos within the last 24 hours and most of which I have had to DQ.

Please, QC your videos BEFORE sending them. Otherwise you will have to send your video again.
-Nate

This Week in AMVs

#40 User is offline   ngsilver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:41 PM

Alright everyone. Entry and FTP submissions are now CLOSED!

You still have through the end of the weekend (11:59PM Sunday the 17th EDT) to submit your video(s) via the FTP accounts you already have or will be receiving shortly (I have quite a few to go through that came in today when I was without internet access in order to approve.) During this weekend period we will also extend the grace period for re-submissions as well. However keep in mind that only gives you 48hrs in which you have as many tries as it takes to submit the correct version of your video that passes QC. Though don't expect to be able to constantly be able to submit either, each time you close your FTP account a new one has to be created and approved, which takes time. So as always it is our recommendation that you do QC on your video BEFORE submitting. The tools that we use on our end to QC your videos have been freely posted a number of times in this thread and are also in the FAQ on the ACEN forums.

After the FTP grace period is up you will only be able to retry sending your entry in ONCE! If you fail, better luck next year. The amount of time the re-submission process will be available for is currently not determined, but do not expect the window to be open for long.

Finally, thanks for your entries and good luck! (I'll be going through all new FTP accounts tonight and processing closed accounts beginning tomorrow evening after work)
-Nate

This Week in AMVs

#41 User is offline   ngsilver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:25 PM

All submitted entries that have closed FTP accounts have been processed at this time. All status has been updated including marking DQ for any entry that still is in need of re-submission due to failing QC. Having done this will now facilitate the start of the post deadline re-submission period. All entrants with outstanding FTP accounts still have until Midnight tomorrow (aprox 28 hours) with which to get your entries in via FTP. For anyone who's video(s) have been DQ'ed due to failure to pass QC you will have until this coming Friday, April 22nd, at aprox 5PM EDT, to have your re-submission in our hands. The time is approximate as traffic may slow me down in getting home from work, however as soon as I get home I will shut down the FTP server. This is a HARD deadline, any FTP sessions still active will be severed at this time so make sure you get your fixed video in early enough. No further extensions or grace periods will be given.

I will once again post the following for your reference in regards to QC'ing your video(s) BEFORE submitting. Remember, you have only 1 shot to fix your entry. Failure to do so will result in your video being DQ'ed and no further chances for re-submission will be given. Make SURE your video meets the requirements outlined in the rules for entry formatting BEFORE you submit. We will not fix your entry for you.

[•] MPEG-2 file format requirements:
    [-] 720x480 Frame Size
    [-] 48 kHz MP2 Stereo Audio. We recommend 320 kbps.
    [-] Set Display Aspect Ratio to 4:3 for normal video or letterbox widescreen
    [-] Set Display Aspect Ratio to 16:9 for anamorphic widescreen
    [-] Total file bitrate cannot exceed 15 Mbps

[•] MPEG-4 file format requirements
    [-] 640 x 480, 848 x 480, 1280x720 Frame Size
    [-] H.264 video compression
    [-] 48 kHz AAC Stereo Audio. We recommend LC-AAC at 160 kbps instead of HE-AAC.
    [-] Display Aspect Ratio 1:1 (Remember you are submitting in square pixels).

Perform Quality Control

I use both the program listed in the FAQ above as well as GSpot in order to check the settings of a video, as well as watch it all the way through, before it passes the first QC check and the video is received.

Both GSpot and Media Info are free programs. There should be no excuse for why you can't use either of these programs to check your entries before you submit.
-Nate

This Week in AMVs

#42 User is offline   C2Queen 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 59630

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:35 PM

Everyone who entered the contest and had their video received without any coordinator comments is officially competing right? When will the results of the contest be posted and where can you see the amvs at the convention? It's my first year and I've never done this before. What kind of thing do the winners get? Just recognition?
Anime Central 2016 Cosplay:
  • Asuna - Sword Art Online II: Mothers Rosario (Undine avatar)
  • Kotori - Love Live! School Idol Project (Maid Uniform)

#43 User is offline   ngsilver 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:03 PM

Every video that is not currently marked as DQ'ed and has been marked as Received will be shown at the convention. We are currently in the middle of pre-judging. Once completed then status will change to either "Video Accepted" or "Accepted for Overflow". These basically state which block your video(s) will be in and if they will complete. Overflow is the non-competition block that does not have a chance to win an award.

As for what the winners will win. Well that generally changes each year. However plaques/trophies will be given for each winner and possibly some extra swag on top, however what exactly will be given isn't known until the convention.

As for where to see the videos. You can do that in the AMV Room that runs all weekend. The room will not be in the main hotel, but one of the other hotels in the area (not the Hyatt). I don't remember which off the top of my head right now, but it should be noted in the program guide.
-Nate

This Week in AMVs

#44 User is offline   C2Queen 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 59630

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:15 PM

Thank you for the information it was very helpful! =]
Anime Central 2016 Cosplay:
  • Asuna - Sword Art Online II: Mothers Rosario (Undine avatar)
  • Kotori - Love Live! School Idol Project (Maid Uniform)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users