Anime Central Forums: Original cosplayers! Reveal yourselves! - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Original cosplayers! Reveal yourselves! Or just slip out of the shadows for a minute.

#1 User is offline   Saikyo_Master 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 49931

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:31 AM

I've only gone to a few conventions, but I've noticed that there are rarely any original cosplays, though I may be wrong. In any case, I respect all cosplayers as they work their butt off, but they have a template to work off of. I feel that original cosplayers can sit down, think of an awesome character, backstory, props, costume, etc. and get noticed just as well as ordinary cosplayers. Now I of course haven't cosplayed anyone from my favorite anime because, personally, I feel that if I can't do it well, then I shouldn't do it at all. I don't want to make the character look bad, ya know? SO! I've devised that all of the innovative cosplayers should come together and be recognized. Who knows? Perhaps people could be cosplaying as one of the characters YOU came up with at the next convention! So who's in? :D

Day: Saturday
Time: 1:30 - 2 pm

Saikyo is the basis of every single martial art! They just don't know it yet...>.>!

ACen 2014 Cosplay

Genderbent Edward (Cowboy Bebop)

#2 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 31104

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:40 AM

I was actually considering cosplaying as a character from the manga I write. Haha

If anyone else wants to cosplay as a character from my manga, that would be awesome. :D
"At the start Henry either dies or has sex, leaving not-Sarah to fall in love with or not in love with a shark, a squid, a pebble, a policeman or none or all of the above."
~*~ Behold my Manga, Cosplay, Artwork and Facebook ! ~*~
Look for me as time skip Sanji from One Piece at ACen 2012!

#3 User is offline   Saikyo_Master 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:41 AM

Well I'm cosplaying people from my comic book series in progress, so I say go for it! ^_^
Saikyo is the basis of every single martial art! They just don't know it yet...>.>!

ACen 2014 Cosplay

#4 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:50 AM

Maybe I should make some business cards with the URL to my DA page where I post my manga, to pass out to people who ask me what series I am cosplaying from!

It's kinda like advertising, haha.
"At the start Henry either dies or has sex, leaving not-Sarah to fall in love with or not in love with a shark, a squid, a pebble, a policeman or none or all of the above."

#5 User is offline   Saikyo_Master 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:59 AM

Well, I'm a writer so I don't think I could sketch up any of my characters :( but I can darn sure try and cosplay them!

ACen 2014 Cosplay

#6 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 9607

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:43 AM

I think part of the fun of cosplay deals with getting recognition from others. If no one knows who you are cosplaying, that makes things difficult unless your costume is really eye catching.

I remember a few people I've taken pictures of and found out they were cosplaying something they made up. That happening can probably be counted on one hand though. :lol:

#7 User is offline   Saikyo_Master 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:45 AM

But that's the fun of it! Original cosplayers work hard to make their costumes awesome :D It also gives them a chance to be in character and interact the way that character would. I believe dedication=recognition.

ACen 2014 Cosplay

#8 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 11087

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:29 PM

View PostSaikyo_Master, on 14 December 2010 - 11:45 AM, said:

But that's the fun of it! Original cosplayers work hard to make their costumes awesome :D It also gives them a chance to be in character and interact the way that character would. I believe dedication=recognition.

Regular cosplayers also act in character.
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

#9 User is offline   Saikyo_Master 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:43 PM

True. I did see a rather convincing Jack sparrow at the Chicago Comic-Con last year and before talking to him up close, I thought it was Johnny Depp. A lot of the cosplayers I see pull off the look, but don't get into character a lot and just mess around. Maybe I just need to go to more cons :)

This post has been edited by Saikyo_Master: 14 December 2010 - 12:43 PM

ACen 2014 Cosplay

#10 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 7072
  • Location:Mississippi then New Jersey. Might make ACen 2018 :D

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:10 PM

personnally these days I go as a business suit clad legoman going by the name of "Marconi"
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

#11 User is offline   CloroxEnvy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 9163

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:21 PM

I think this is a really great idea. I've done, to some extent, in the past with a handful of my costumes. Not completely original, but for two years I did do an original character design for World of Warcraft characters.

This year I plan on showing up as my own zombie creation. Call it a tribute to the Walking Dead or just to zombies, but I will drag my dead corpse to this con. :3

Friday: Zombie | Saturday: Castiel

|deviantART||YouTube|Livejournal||
|Skype: NearlyMe | AIM: superfeypower |

#12 User is offline   Saikyo_Master 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:22 PM

Woo! That's the spirit :D So far we got three enthusiasts, including meh :3

ACen 2014 Cosplay

#13 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 7072
  • Location:Mississippi then New Jersey. Might make ACen 2018 :D

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:30 AM

View PostFoolish Humon, on 14 December 2010 - 12:40 AM, said:

I was actually considering cosplaying as a character from the manga I write. Haha

If anyone else wants to cosplay as a character from my manga, that would be awesome. :D

link plox
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

#14 User is offline   Haggisstew 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 36322
  • Location:If the torso next to my name is in color, I'm at a computer.

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:00 PM

I'll inform Shinigami Leo about this. He loves cosplaying as his characters.
Confirmed ACen cosplays; Arsene Lupin III

#15 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:52 AM

View PostTekoMuto, on 15 December 2010 - 06:30 AM, said:

link plox

It's in my sig. The one that says "manga".

#16 User is offline   ATICE 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58973

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:45 AM

@Saikyo: As long as you know your characters story, you're fine. And this means dont make a list of 100 characters and pick one randomly.. pick one you love and go for it! ^_^

#17 User is offline   Saikyo_Master 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:06 PM

I picked the three characters from my comic that I hold close to my heart x3 My all-time favorite is Warp and I just barely finished the prologue series!

ACen 2014 Cosplay

#18 User is offline   madden72 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 9813

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:03 PM

I've cosplayed as a CD warrior for 4 years now (probably not this year though), and I can say its just as fun and attention grabbing to cosplay an original character versus an established one in some cases. It adds something random to the convention, which is the part of ACen I like the most.

#19 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:49 PM

There's a chance I'll be cosplaying one of the characters from a manga I'm working on. I just have to decide which one I can actually pull off.

Which sadly means Annabelle (she prefers Annie) is out of the question. A near 30yr old guy can't manage to look convincing as a 10yr old chibi girl. Plus the massive amount of makeup required for a necromancer is another reason.

So it's down to my currently unnamed gunner (who looks like the standard congoer after a few too many room parties) or my assassin character.
Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#20 User is offline   Saikyo_Master 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:37 AM

Awesome to hear :3

ACen 2014 Cosplay

#21 User is offline   Darkness Descent 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59493

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:55 PM

You all have persuaded me, (though there is still some hesitation). This is my first time cosplaying and going to a con. I was thinking of cosplaying my dearest character from the novel I'm currently working on. Though is cosplaying an original character a good first year experience and there is no way to let people actualy read my novel until it gets published (unlike all you da manga people) :) So any advice? Should I or should I not? And any creative ideas on how to inform the questioners creativly about my character/novel if a yes? (Brain is currently fried from the state of never ending exams).
First Time at ACEN.....First time at a Con!!! :D
Cosplaying: depends when I have time to make costumes...but these are what I would like to cosplay (at the moment)
Friday....Black Star or Soul from Soul Eater
Saturday.....Naruto from Naruto or Yoite from Nabari no Ou
Sunday.....Sebastian from Kuroshitsuji or suggestions?

#22 User is offline   Saikyo_Master 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:03 AM

I can understand your pain, friend! If your character is unique in appearance, chances are you will get noticed. If you are questioned about your character, simply act and respond the way your character would. You could also disclose your enthusiasm to keep your novel a secret until its release, if they truly want to know. As a first year experience, you should go for it if it's what is really weighing in your heart. Don't worry about how people will take your character the first year because the more they see them, the more familiar they will become of them without draining you of information. Everyone knew Vash the Stampede was awesome the first few episodes, but didn't truly fathom this until he unleashed his full power ^_^ All in all, original characters grow on people so I would say go for it, but do what you believe is best for your character.

ACen 2014 Cosplay

#23 User is offline   Darkness Descent 

• Pip

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for the advice. Im trying to decide if my characters outfit will be eye catching though. I don't want to go through the con without being walked up to...main idea is to make some friends. And I don't know if having an original cosplay will rather limit the amount of people I meet. (Note: it takes me awhile to go up to someone and say hi).
Cosplaying: depends when I have time to make costumes...but these are what I would like to cosplay (at the moment)

#24 User is offline   Saikyo_Master 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:15 PM

The best thing to do is interact with people at the cons without being too enthusiastic about it. I hope to do that as well x3 I hope we'll meet up at the con!

ACen 2014 Cosplay

#25 User is offline   Darkness Descent 

• Pip

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:25 PM

View PostSaikyo_Master, on 15 February 2011 - 11:15 PM, said:

The best thing to do is interact with people at the cons without being too enthusiastic about it. I hope to do that as well x3 I hope we'll meet up at the con!

I do as well, but as of now it looks like I can't go. :( the people I were going to go with can't anymore and my parents forbid me from going alone. So yeah, my dreams have all been crushed all in one day. Hopefully I can meet someone from where I am to go with them, but that doesn't look too good either. Either see you next year or a miracle falls out of the sky.

#26 User is offline   Saikyo_Master 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:35 PM

D: Well, I'm in Chicago. I know Knives is from Wisconsin...I think o.o but I don't know about all that. That sucks, man! >:/ try and find someone who could take you. There's still three more months left! Have faith! :D

ACen 2014 Cosplay

#27 User is offline   Darkness Descent 

• Pip

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:27 AM

I'm working on it. Waiting for two people to get back to me. I will let you guys know immediately if I can go.

#28 User is offline   Legal-Assassin 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 46843

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:03 PM

Were it not for my budget, I would go as one of my characters. Unfortunately, I have little to spend and no income so the best I could do for the character would make him very ordinary and shabby (as he appears most of the time) and that is just plain boring.

If I get a job or suddenly find/earn a large sum of money, I may possibly cosplay as him. Otherwise, I'll probably just take pictures and stay with the cosplays I currently have.
"No one can escape time; it delivers us all to the same end. You can't plug your ears or cover your eyes."
--Pharos; Persona 3

Cosplay plans for ACen:
Minato Arisato (MC/Protagonist)-Persona 3: DONE
Akira (default and white shirt)-Togainu no Chi: DONE
Pit -Kid Icarus: Uprising: In-Progress

#29 User is offline   Selfius Valrin 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59806

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:34 PM

Am I glad I found this thread.

I've been wanting to go to acen for four bloody years now. I was considering going as the main character from the book I wrote. Yet I was unsure if that was really a good idea, particularly since I never did publish it. Damn you IT and your temptations of money. Well, now I feel relieved about the money I spent today. :)

BTW: Darkness Descent, what part of Wisconsin to you hail from? I'm from Racine myself. I already made all of my arrangements, but I'll see what I can do.

This post has been edited by Selfius Valrin: 04 April 2011 - 11:35 PM

"Gantras Valeria Victrix!"

"We march for Macragge!"

"Courage and honor!"

#30 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:49 PM

View PostLegal-Assassin, on 23 February 2011 - 10:03 PM, said:

Were it not for my budget, I would go as one of my characters. Unfortunately, I have little to spend and no income so the best I could do for the character would make him very ordinary and shabby (as he appears most of the time) and that is just plain boring.

If I get a job or suddenly find/earn a large sum of money, I may possibly cosplay as him. Otherwise, I'll probably just take pictures and stay with the cosplays I currently have.

Good luck~! I'ma cheer for you.

I kinda wanted to cosplay one of my characters but he has twin guns like Noel from BB and a cute mini dragon so I was like wut idk!

I still might do it thought :P
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users