• This topic is locked

So...I'm going to Japan soon.... So excited! ><

#1 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:57 PM

So...yeah. Some of you may know I'm in a program at my school this term where you take some classes Fall Term and then go to Japan for two weeks over winter break. We leave on November 29th (the day before my birthday ><). Even though I know that it's super close, at this point, it really doesn't feel like it. I don't think it's totally sunk in yet...

So...yeah....Anybody who's been have any suggestions of things I should definitely do while I'm there? We're going to Tokyo, Kyoto and Hiroshima, and there are scheduled activities, but we will have some free time (although some of that is going to have to be spent on gathering information for my project....).
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#2 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:04 PM

I remember you telling me about this. Lucccky. lol Hopefully Suigetsu can come in and tell you suggestions.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#3 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7072
  • Location:Mississippi then New Jersey. Might make ACen 2018 :D

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:18 PM

can I come wif? OwO

yu can tie me up in kinky ways with electrodes on my nipples and hide me in ur suitcase 83
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

#4 User is offline   shinigamiJACULA 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 19454

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:03 PM

wow, so lucky! =D

i went to japan a couple years ago (tokyo for 3 days, kyoto for a week and a half) and some places i'd recommend:

-the ghibli museum in mitaka! even if you aren't into miyazaki's films, the museum is really cute and a must-see! you'd prolly spend half a day there, but it's totally worth it! ^^ here's the official website. it's only a train ride away, and then you take a bus that looks like that cat in "totoro" to the museum! =D

-kyomizu temple in kyoto was a candidate for one of the new 7 wonders of the world. if you climb to the top, you get a really awesome view of kyoto!

-ryoanji temple in kyoto has a really relaxing zen rock garden. i know that a rock garden sounds lame, but when you actually sit and look at the arrangement, it's super peaceful and de-stressing ^^

-the tokyo tower is a mock of the eiffel tower and you get a nice view of tokyo!

well, that's all i can think of for now, so if you have the extra time, definitely visit these places! =D
Hello from California!!! =D

Please visit my deviantART account!

...I look like Rukia, but I don't do that on purpose!!! I look like that every day...=___=U (check out my profile pic if you don't believe me!)

#5 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:04 PM

Buy stuff!

Check out the vending machines! (especially the capsule machines)

Visit a Shinto shrine. And not a tourist trap one.
This space intentionally left blank.

#6 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:50 PM

View PostTekoMuto, on 05 November 2010 - 01:18 PM, said:

can I come wif? OwO

yu can tie me up in kinky ways with electrodes on my nipples and hide me in ur suitcase 83

No....God no....

View PostshinigamiJACULA, on 05 November 2010 - 02:03 PM, said:

wow, so lucky! =D

i went to japan a couple years ago (tokyo for 3 days, kyoto for a week and a half) and some places i'd recommend:

-the ghibli museum in mitaka! even if you aren't into miyazaki's films, the museum is really cute and a must-see! you'd prolly spend half a day there, but it's totally worth it! ^^ here's the official website. it's only a train ride away, and then you take a bus that looks like that cat in "totoro" to the museum! =D

-kyomizu temple in kyoto was a candidate for one of the new 7 wonders of the world. if you climb to the top, you get a really awesome view of kyoto!

-ryoanji temple in kyoto has a really relaxing zen rock garden. i know that a rock garden sounds lame, but when you actually sit and look at the arrangement, it's super peaceful and de-stressing ^^

-the tokyo tower is a mock of the eiffel tower and you get a nice view of tokyo!

well, that's all i can think of for now, so if you have the extra time, definitely visit these places! =D

I was actually already planning on going to the Ghibli Museum XD I didn't realize they had a cat-bus, though. That makes me want to go even more.

One of the professors that's going with us on the trip teaches a course on Buddhism and Japanese Buddhism and is in charge of planning things out as far as Kyoto is concerned; a lot of our time is going to be dedicated to going to Temples. There's one day where we get to choose which temples we go to, and Kyomizudera is actually one of the ones on the list. Can't seem to find Ryoanji, but there are zen temples with really nice gardens on it.
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

-Sidney Sheldon

#7 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7072
  • Location:Mississippi then New Jersey. Might make ACen 2018 :D

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:51 PM

View PostKaay-chan, on 05 November 2010 - 03:50 PM, said:

No....God no....

*shrinks to ultra chibi and pulls at the part of your lower garment*

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA PLS TAKE ME WITH YEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

*double waterfalls of tears from eyes*
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

#8 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:58 PM

If you go to Miyajima (island near Hiroshima) climb to the top of the mountain (or ride a tram and climb the rest of the way). Best view in all of Japan I feel.

20 is the drinking age there and I know many of the hot spots in Kyoto.

This post has been edited by Suigetsu: 05 November 2010 - 07:00 PM

Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#9 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:23 PM

View PostSuigetsu, on 05 November 2010 - 06:58 PM, said:

If you go to Miyajima (island near Hiroshima) climb to the top of the mountain (or ride a tram and climb the rest of the way). Best view in all of Japan I feel.

20 is the drinking age there and I know many of the hot spots in Kyoto.

Ohh, I'll have to keep that in mind.

XD and yeah, I realize that. I'm not all...'OMG IMA GO DRINK NAO!', but it would be a shame to not try Sake and whatnot while I'm there, since we arrive in Japan on my 20th birthday...(which will most likely be spent totally jetlagged...DX)

-Sidney Sheldon

#10 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9607

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:13 AM

:highfive:

- Kaiten zushi ( 回転寿司 )
- Book.off and Hard.off ( www.hardoff.co.jp )
- Bring a camera! ( two rechargeable batteries and a good number of memory cards would be ideal )
- Shinjuku Gyoen
- Namja town in Ikebukuro ( http://www.namja.jp/ )
- Suica was great for subways, but considering you will be doing a group thing I'm sure the school has travel plans booked. ( http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/ )
- Akihabara
- Don't know what drink to order at a restaurant, "Oolong cha" is usually available at fast food places.
- Try to befriend the locals

#11 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:37 PM

View PostKaay-chan, on 05 November 2010 - 08:23 PM, said:

Ohh, I'll have to keep that in mind.

XD and yeah, I realize that. I'm not all...'OMG IMA GO DRINK NAO!', but it would be a shame to not try Sake and whatnot while I'm there, since we arrive in Japan on my 20th birthday...(which will most likely be spent totally jetlagged...DX)

The jet-lag will dissipate quickly since you are excited and full of adrenalin. The jet-lag will hit when you get back here.

#12 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 20031

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:33 PM

View PostSuigetsu, on 06 November 2010 - 12:37 PM, said:

The jet-lag will dissipate quickly since you are excited and full of adrenalin. The jet-lag will hit when you get back here.

^^This. Jetlag will be overwhelmed by excitement. Coming back home is tough though. Enjoy Japan! I hope work sends me there soon. I'm getting sent everywhere else though.
~~

#13 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:03 PM

View PostScott, on 06 November 2010 - 11:13 AM, said:

:highfive:

- Kaiten zushi ( 回転寿司 )
- Book.off and Hard.off ( www.hardoff.co.jp )
- Bring a camera! ( two rechargeable batteries and a good number of memory cards would be ideal )
- Shinjuku Gyoen
- Namja town in Ikebukuro ( http://www.namja.jp/ )
- Suica was great for subways, but considering you will be doing a group thing I'm sure the school has travel plans booked. ( http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/ )
- Akihabara
- Don't know what drink to order at a restaurant, "Oolong cha" is usually available at fast food places.
- Try to befriend the locals

The professors in charge of this are providing us with suica cards XD

Isn't my going to Akihabara kinda a give in? ^.^;;; Between my interests and the focus of my project, there's no way I wouldn't go.

That being said, I'm doing a project on traditional forms of Japanese art and their influence on anime. I'm already planning on going to the Tokyo National Museum, and our class will be going to see some Kabuki; anything else I should know about going to?

-Sidney Sheldon

#14 User is offline   Jguy 

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Elite
  • Member No.: 18261

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:27 AM

Come kidnap me and bring me with you, please!

Anyway, have fun. I'll try to wish you a happy birthday before you leave.

Oh, and yes, sake is a once in a lifetime try. I know I don't like it, but still worth it to try at least once.
Go ahead and stop by my website: My Site

jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cookie
apt-get: cookie not found
jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cake
apt-get: cake not found[/font][/center]

#15 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9607

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:26 PM

View PostKaay-chan, on 06 November 2010 - 04:03 PM, said:

anything else I should know about going to?

I can't really think of anything specific. I was in Tokyo only for a week. I walked around a lot without any set purpose to photograph things and just see what the place was like. I would probably have more specific suggestions if you were going to Nagasaki. :thumbup:

View PostJguy, on 08 November 2010 - 11:27 AM, said:

Come kidnap me and bring me with you, please!Anyway, have fun. I'll try to wish you a happy birthday before you leave.Oh, and yes, sake is a once in a lifetime try. I know I don't like it, but still worth it to try at least once.

Not that I ever drink, but I would suggest shochu. It's kind of what I imagined an "alcoholic beverage" to be like as that was the first thing I tried... Strong shock value to it. :lol: Just make sure the whole cup is consumed otherwise someone might get offended, haha.

#16 User is offline   Sandstorm 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58954

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:36 PM

In Japan, you can hang out with your bro, Darth Vader.
^I'm just Saiyan.

#17 User is offline   Roark 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11290

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:59 PM

Sake isn't really a "must try" over there anymore than it is here. Most restaurants serve the same bad sake (Ozeki or Asahi) that gets served in Asian restaurants stateside. Sake is actually on a bit of a decline over there. It's considered an "old man" beverage. I'm trying to come up with an equivalent, and the only thing that comes close is something like Old Milwaukee or Schlitz some other beer drunk exclusively by 70-year-old Polish guys who've sat at the same bar for 60 years.

That said, local (read: not in urban area) breweries tend to have pretty good stuff. If you can get a daiginjo or junmai daiginjo for a decent price, give it a whirl. Also, give Japanese whiskey brands a try. Suntory is OK, but for really good times, try Yamazaki.

Not sure how much this advice applies since you're with a touring school group, but you may be able to pull it off if you wake up early one day: get lost. Seriously, just wander out of the hotel/hostel one day, take a train to the city centre/docks/wherever and just completely get turned around and lost. Best way to experience a foreign country.

#18 User is offline   Roark 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:43 PM

View PostScott, on 08 November 2010 - 05:26 PM, said:

Not that I ever drink, but I would suggest shochu. It's kind of what I imagined an "alcoholic beverage" to be like as that was the first thing I tried... Strong shock value to it. :lol: Just make sure the whole cup is consumed otherwise someone might get offended, haha.

Shochu on the rocks or cut with a bit of ice water is a treat. I recommend imo shochu, made with sweet potatoes.

Again, like all liquor, qualities vary greatly. Good shochu tastes like a party in your mouth with Ken Griffy Junior. Bad shochu tastes like a party in your mouth with Mickey Rourke and John Rhys Davis.

Also, a few notes on acting like not an American :)

Finish your food/drink. Portions are not America "take home" size.

Do not stick chopsticks into food.

Do not put soy sauce on rice.

Be polite, but not exceedingly so.

Tipping is not expected.

The food over there will taste strange at first! Like anywhere, traditional food is localized when brought to a different market. So, Japanese food here tastes different than Japanese food there. This mostly applies to more complex dishes (soups, stews, anything with a sauce) than simple dishes like sushi. Basically, things have different mixes of spices that can be hard to get used to.

Unless you're 15 and in a sailor outfit, don't talk on the subway.

Don't eat or drink while walking down the street.

Being in a school group gives a certain amount of leeway, since you're obviously foreigners, to be a bit louder and odder. If you're on your own, act a bit more demure and you'll blend in.

Personal space is much smaller than America. Do not be surprised at people getting very close to you without seeming to notice.

Make a note of which side of the sidewalk/escalator people walk on and follow suit.

If you miss the last train and need to crash outside the station overnight, go to a Lawsons, buy a pack of Mild 7s, and start offering them to the high schoolers in suits around the station. They're bored. Chat with them, give them some smokes, and they'll take care of you. Or, at least, not bother you.

#19 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:29 PM

Hey, guys, I'd just like to point out that I'm not asking for tips on "how not to act like an American." Give my professors some credit; one of them has been going back and forth between Japan and the US for the past 20 years and collectively lived there for five years. Another one of the professors whose coming with us is my Japanese professor. We've we've been having weekly meetings all term (the past 10 or so weeks), and have covered everything from how to order food at a restaurant and what to expect as far as food goes, to how to take a bath to how to cross the street. We're not staying at hotels or hostels, we're staying at youth centers. Everyone going on this trip is required to be enrolled this term in a Japanese language course (unless they've already finished the Japanese language courses offered at our school), as well as a course on Japanese Modern History and either a course on Japanese Linguistics or on Buddhism and Japanese Buddhism. So...yeah. Roark, I appreciate the advice, but it's really not necessary, at this point.

Also, if anyone's interested in seeing what the current version of our schedule looks like (still subject to change, I believe...), here's the link...

http://courses.knox....chedulef10.html

This post has been edited by Kaay-chan: 10 November 2010 - 04:30 PM

-Sidney Sheldon

#20 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:34 PM

But it helps us who don't have that advantage... Many of us are interested. One of these days I wanna go too.

(Maybe a separate thread on the subject for those of us with few other resources...)

This post has been edited by obakasan: 10 November 2010 - 04:36 PM

#21 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:43 PM

View PostKaay-chan, on 10 November 2010 - 04:29 PM, said:

Hey, guys, I'd just like to point out that I'm not asking for tips on "how not to act like an American." Give my professors some credit; one of them has been going back and forth between Japan and the US for the past 20 years and collectively lived there for five years. Another one of the professors whose coming with us is my Japanese professor. We've we've been having weekly meetings all term (the past 10 or so weeks), and have covered everything from how to order food at a restaurant and what to expect as far as food goes, to how to take a bath to how to cross the street. We're not staying at hotels or hostels, we're staying at youth centers. Everyone going on this trip is required to be enrolled this term in a Japanese language course (unless they've already finished the Japanese language courses offered at our school), as well as a course on Japanese Modern History and either a course on Japanese Linguistics or on Buddhism and Japanese Buddhism. So...yeah. Roark, I appreciate the advice, but it's really not necessary, at this point.

Also, if anyone's interested in seeing what the current version of our schedule looks like (still subject to change, I believe...), here's the link...

http://courses.knox....chedulef10.html

Huzzah, you are going to Miyajima on the 10th ^______________^

#22 User is offline   Sandstorm 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58954

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:27 PM

Does anyone know how Japanese whiskey compares to, say, scotch, Irish, or Bourbon (Canadian whiskey sucks)?
^I'm just Saiyan.

#23 User is offline   firegirl26 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6771

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:18 PM

i want to come with you
For acen 2012 will be cosplaying STEAMPUNK
AUTHOR of ACEN TRUE STORY(that no one reads)

REXANO
Responsible Exotic Animal Ownership

#24 User is offline   Roark 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:52 PM

View PostKaay-chan, on 10 November 2010 - 04:29 PM, said:

So...yeah. Roark, I appreciate the advice, but it's really not necessary, at this point.

Because, you know, we're all experts on your educational program.

It is useful for other people to know these things. Lighten up.

#25 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:29 PM

If you can, try some Sake for me and tell everyone how it is. I've never had it or been to Japan so I'd love to hear what you think about Sake straight from Japan! :D

I hope you have tons of fun!!!!!! :D If you can show us some of your pictures on here, we'd all love to see!
Any chance of an anime con going on while you are there? ^^
ACen 2017 Cosplay
Friday: General Esdeath (Akame Ga Kill!) (98% d/t touch ups and re-doing sword)
Saturday: Major Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell ARISE variant] (100%)
Sunday: Either Major Motoko Kusanagi from GITS S.A.C. 2nd GIG or Esdeath again. Help me decide D;
RIP Origa <3

COME SEE MY PANELS!!!

"Let's Form a Stand Alone Complex!" Saturday, 12:30 PM – 2:15 PM Panel Room 13 DESCC
"My Ghost Whispers, Therefore I am" Saturday, 3:45 PM – 5:30 PM Panel Room 13

#26 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Validating
  • Member No.: 18421

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:39 PM

View PostcallmeSamuel, on 10 November 2010 - 01:36 PM, said:

That was cool. My brother bought that phone when it came out.

View PostRoark, on 12 November 2010 - 01:52 PM, said:

I didn't know any of that until now. Thanks man.

This post has been edited by nouseforaname: 12 November 2010 - 02:41 PM

Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen
Fullmetal Alchemist - Greedling

#27 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:23 PM

View PostRoark, on 12 November 2010 - 01:52 PM, said:

I find it really hard to believe that a school would have a program that took it's students overseas and not at least somewhat prepare said students for the differences in cultures. Maybe it's because I hold educational institutions to a certain standards, but that's how I think.

It's like Obakasan said:

View Postobakasan, on 10 November 2010 - 04:34 PM, said:

(Maybe a separate thread on the subject for those of us with few other resources...)

Sorry, if I come across as defensive in any way, it's just that it's been 10 weeks of our profs teaching us stuff and us planning what to do while we're there (all while bemoaning the exchange rate and listening to our profs joke about teaching us panhandling techniques....). Please keep in mind that not everyone goes to another country without first learning about their customs and whatnot first.

-Sidney Sheldon

#28 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Validating
  • Member No.: 18421

Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:31 PM

Right.

This post has been edited by nouseforaname: 12 November 2010 - 05:32 PM

Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen
Fullmetal Alchemist - Greedling

#29 User is offline   Silver Affection 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 58851

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:00 PM

Heh heh. Have fun in Japan, Kaay-chan. :)
“Try to save them all, bleed no more.” -Nightwish, The Poet and the Pendulum

#30 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:39 PM

It's so annoying to me that some people don't take the time to do any research/learning about the country/countries they are planning to visit. My sister took off to New Zealand and Australia without even knowing the names of their capitol cities... "Why learn, they will tell me what I need to know..." Arrrgggg.

This post has been edited by obakasan: 18 November 2010 - 02:59 PM

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users