• This topic is locked

How are you saving money?

#31 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:42 PM

Oh ya there's the old fashion way of saving all your spare change in a jar. But if you want to make sure you have money then give it to a trusting friend to keep until it's time to pay for Acen. My friend still owes me her share of the hotel money from last year and has no time to see me to pay it back so she sets $20 aside every week.

Update: She owes me $20 now.

This post has been edited by MsLovelyCookie: 07 February 2011 - 09:36 PM

I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#32 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:07 PM

I save a bit before hand the previous year, like if I am working 20-50 dollars into another account or a jar hidden in my room. This year was hard because of a loss of job but I'm still saving up my refund as well as any money I get and buying everything I need in advance: rice cooker, cosplay, wigs, etc.

FYI there is no best bank; it really depends on what bank works with you with your savings/spendings/etc.

Also make sure not to use any major cards before and during the con.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#33 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:20 PM

my sister and I have what we fondly call "the acen jar" where we have a goal and then save til we hit it. After the goal is met, we save more for other stuff ( there's a post it note on it that states who has put how much in it ).
It's been pretty effective thus far :]
2015 Cosplay
Elrond's angry face when the hobbits crash the party
Honoka-Dead or Alive Last Roumd
Kongou- Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Rise- Persona 4 Dancing all Night

#34 User is offline   Amelko 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 59283

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:59 PM

One of the things I'm doing is making the sacrifice of not cosplaying this year. Good thing, too, since I'm having trouble making sure I have enough in my checking account to pay the bills on my apartment. My parents are slow on the reimbursement. :P I already bought my wig, though, so ACen 2012's outfit is going to be spectacular.

I'm (hopefully!) working enough hours as a volunteer at the con to get my badge reimbursed, so that'll help some. My dad's opening another Subway (we already have one open in my town) a few towns over before I come home for spring break, so hello, 60 hours that week. XD Ohh, a big paycheck for that week would be wonderful. . .
Give yourself prudence, and love your friends. Subway kid rejoice your truth.

"What is yaoi? Is it edible?" - my mom

#35 User is offline   Goldeneyeuro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 58858

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:20 PM

Easiest way would be to cut down on everything except for the basic necessities. Already have a con right before ACEN (which I'm thinking about not spending much at) and want a dSLR, so that's motivation enough. Last year, seeing my atrociously high credit card bills has me rethinking finances and it's a New Year's resolution for me. Easiest way to lower expenses is to just stop with the "oh, it's only a few bucks here, a few bucks there" attitude since it adds up fast. Especially with eating out, both at sitdown and fast food restaurants. $12 here, $20 there, it was crushing to realize that one month I could save about $100-$150 if I just went home and either have leftovers or pick up something on sale at the grocery store. I also guess it helps that I always am paranoid about running out of money even if I'm financially stable. It would be the ultimate disgrace if an aspiring accountant were to be in huge financial turmoil.
Never be average... - myself.
When life has no purpose, you're dead already. - Kiba from Wolf's Rain

Planned ACen 2K16 Cosplays:
Life Cool- Yuri Kuma Arashi, Slaine Troyard (count outfit)- Aldnoah Zero Season 2, Houka Inumuta (Black and Gold outfit)- Kill la Kill, Munakata Reisi- K Project

My Flickr- click for my photos

#36 User is offline   audaciouska241 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 10462

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:18 PM

So I guess I get to sound like PNC's fangirl right now, lol.

I have PNC's "Virtual Wallet" account, and it really is a fantastic tool to help you save money. It breaks up your money into 3 accounts, Spend, Reserve, and Growth. Spend is exactly that, your spending money for the week or however you do it. Reserve is for short term saving (for me, usually cosplay supplies, school supplies), and Growth is for long term stuff (for me, that's my acen fund). You can go online and use a slider bar on your screen to move around your money into the different accounts. You can also set it up so you can text to find out the current balance in your account. It's really made it easy for me to save my money.

I've stopped going off campus between classes for lunch. There's a little cafe in my school that is really cheap and really good! So I go there now. Rather than paying 10 bucks at Steak N Shake or wherever, I can get a huge deli sandwich, a side dish, and a fountain pop for 5-6 dollars. I also don't waste my gas that way.

I also try to bring clothes to change into if I know I'm going out after work. That way I don't have to make a trip home just to change clothes.

#37 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 13139

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:11 PM

i don't save, and i have a little daughter to take care of. i also buy toys, and videogames like crazy...and so does my love

idk how i do it. i can buy so much now that my love has a job though.
Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#38 User is offline   Rukariou 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59353

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:24 PM

Well of course returns and getting paid 3 time in April doesn't hurt.

I am so terrible at saving money, lol.
2012 cosplays; Katherine McBride [ Catherine ] | Rachel Alucard [ Blazblue ]
2012 CONS; Anime Detour | Anime Central | Otakon
Currently watching; . . . | Currently playing; Catherine
PSN ID: Rukariou - hit me up if you wanna play some Little Big Planet or kick my butt at Blazblue!

"In the name of the big white thingy in the sky, Tao will punish you!" - Taokaka, Blazblue Continuum Shift

#39 User is offline   Jeff 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 29995

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:31 PM

Start saving immediately after the con.
Love, Peace, & Video Games

#40 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:08 PM

I think this year will be hard for most people.

I wouldn't be able to pay for the Hotel if my and my friend didn't get 2 other roommates for this year and I'm starting to cut down on my spending in using my card on important items and trying to eat at home more than going out to get food. Plus trying to save on my tips, from work, from scratch which mostly went to my bus card because of the Blizzard in Chicago that caused me to stay at home all week.
I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#41 User is offline   Ishoku Osero 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 8641

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:55 PM

I'm not really saving for ACen this year other than for a few little clothing items and such here and there. After all the bootlegs in the dealer's hall last year... even with my knowledge of the difference between them and the legit goods, it makes me nervous. I already have pre-orders from amiami every month anyways, so I don't need to be buying a lot of figures again this year like I did last year. Plus I have to save most of my money to move later this summer to wherever my fiance gets stationed. I think overall I might bring 200 bucks with to ACen, but something tells me I won't be spending most of it.

For anyone that really IS saving, though, here are some tips (that I also use in saving for the move <3 ):

Don't eat out. If you work and you have a break, get some lunch meat and such from a local deli and bring a sandwich to work every day. Saves loads!

Don't drive more than you have to - especially considering gas has been fluctuating a bit high lately! If friends want to go out to places or you want to take a drive somewhere, then pile your or a friend's car full and split the gas money between all of you! I can still afford trips to Mitsuwa here and there with friends because of this. =3

When you have an urge to buy something, then before you buy it really ask yourself this : 'Do I NEED this, or do I WANT this?" If it's something you may not see again for the same price, ask yourself exactly how much more you've seen the item run for (like, I got an anime figure from Mandarake last night that was only 17 dollars... I usually see it going for at least 70 dollars when people try to re-sell her! Obviously I picked her up, but that's the ONLY REASON... since she was on my most-wanted figure list, I got her since I found her cheap ). If it's something that's on sale, but not for more than half off, then put it down. If it's a Dollfie and it's more than half off, still don't buy it, cause those things are expensive anyways. >=[ But honestly, want vs need is a very blind line, even moreso when you're into anime. I know, otherwise I wouldn't have a room full of this stuff! So make sure you understand what you're buying and how much this sets you back from your ACen goal.

#42 User is offline   Ginger shark 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 59478

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:50 AM

I used my last paycheck to start getting my costume together and get my badge. I am using my paycheck that I am getting today to pay bills. The next paycheck I get will go towards more for the con. I put my tips into a glass jar and that will be my spending money at the con. I am not trying to take too much from one paycheck for the con because I still have bills to pay and non con items to buy. I work at a coffee shop where we have a tip jar. I usually get five to ten dollars a day in tips. That really adds up after awhile. I don't even touch my savings account. That is all money that I am saving for when I go to grad school. I am putting a little in there at a time. I would love to put my tax return towards Acen but that is going into my grad school fund. It would be awesome to not have any financial responsibilities and just put all of my money towards Acen but that is unfortunately not the case. I should still have a good chunk of money to spend at the con.

#43 User is offline   Bettachi 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 10276

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:47 PM

Since I started coming to ACen, I've constantly vowed to myself that I would save money, little by little, throughout the year prior. Every time it has failed due to bills, reckless spending, etc. So by the time ACen rolls around, I usually have my tax check to help out as well as the profit share check I get from work. I constantly thank those two things, because without them, I'd undoubtedly be poor the whole trip.
Leader and (so far) only member of the infamous Kiriyama Kult.
Cosplay List
Previous Cosplays: Uchiha Itachi, Gaara, HnJ Tsunade-Naruto, Umehito Nekozawa-Ouran High School Host Club
Kiriyama Kazuo-Battle Royale (Manga), Harima Kenji-School Rumble
Anime Central 2013- PoH, Sword Art Online
Top Floor Survivor of the ACen Embassy Fire of 2010.

#44 User is offline   EwinnChan 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 59613

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:37 PM

Hmm, well, my boyfriend and I are putting about 30-50 dollars away from each paycheck! This to ensure us enough money for the hotel, spending money, etc. By the time Acen rolls around we're expected to have around 1,000 dollars :3 I didn't think that saving bit by bit could really add up! We just started doing this a little while ago.

Now, I would usually put this money just in a savings account, but since I have online access to my bank accounts...that's too tempting. Instead I decided to be a loser and make a money envelope that simply says on it, "Acen 2011, don't open until at least may 19 UNLESS YOU WANT TO BURN ALIVE"...

but hey it works! hehe
You'll see me as Kaname Chidori and Melfina at Acen 2011!

Chu! ;3

#45 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 1495

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:23 PM

View PostAlkaren Hyralt, on 27 October 2010 - 05:27 PM, said:

Don't spend the money and save it instead.

I got my tax return and I havent touched it. Im just gonna let it build up until its time for ACen and my trip to Toronto. Im thrifty when it comes to spending!
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:
MST3k Mike Nelson & Crow-Friday
Team Fortress 2 Medic-Saturday

#46 User is offline   ACen Guy Brown 

• ACen Guy
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 752

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:33 PM

Well I have been using the change jar method for awhile. I can usually save up to $100 between conventions in change alone. This usually only covers food and badge for the weekend though. When I was younger I would just save my birthday money until ACen time. What it all comes down to in the end is having the will power to save up.
ACen Guys on Facebook

UPCOMING PANELS
ACen 2016: ???

#47 User is offline   Ginger shark 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 59478

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:49 PM

I work at a coffee house and I get tips at this job. It is not a huge amount but it adds up after awhile. I have been saving my tip money in a jar. So far I am $150 and still going. I should have a decent amount by the time Acen is here. I don't count my tip money as real money so it feels like I won't actually be spending real money when I am at Acen. It's really nice that I won't have to spend my actual paychecks at the con. I need that for bills and living.

#48 User is offline   Denka 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 49937

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:43 AM

Have poor friends? :P
Most of my friends only do free or cheap things, so I don't need to spend a lot of money socializing (which is good when you have to pay student loans, rent, and other bills.) I tend to save around $200 a month, but realistically I'll only spend about $100 total at con.
Thankfully my room and food are comped. So I just need to worry about cosplay/impulse buys/21+ things.

Hooray for being an adult. -_-;

#49 User is offline   Nainibo 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 58558

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:09 PM

I started saving just a few weeks ago. I'm using an envelope instead of the bank because I'm classy like that. I started the envelope with $50, and I've been adding $20 a week since. If I manage to have a really good week as far as hours, I'm going to put in $40 instead. I'm also saving all my money from my second job (not much; ~$120 since January). It goes on a pay card, so I'm just leaving it sit there until May and pretending it doesn't exist.

What's left of my weekly pay, usually no more than $110, goes towards gas, necessities (bills), and emergencies (conveniently got in my first car accident last week). I will be splitting a room with three other people, so that reduces costs as well.

I've also been selling things on eBay, like my old school texts and stuff. This money goes towards all the random spending I do, like cosplay supplies, Pokémon White, my donation to Japan, eating at restaurants, and so on. I'm trying not to buy much, but at least this way I can satisfy the urge to spend, while still hopefully ending up with some left over for ACen.

Now that I've read this, I'm definitely considering the change jar, though. :3c

#50 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Validating
  • Member No.: 18421

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:55 PM

I've finally got myself a job. This is my third week there and my check seem good. I've never spent money at acen other than parking and tolls to get there so the most I'd ever need including the badge is a good $100 ($50 badge already purchased and $50 for parking and food to bring) I'm good to go.

Unless...
Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen
Fullmetal Alchemist - Greedling

#51 User is offline   Hefewy 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59230

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:36 PM

As a jobless high-school student, Its hard to make money for ACen. What I've been doing is saving my allowance my parents give me (30$ a month). I've also been doing small jobs for my neighbors and friends like shovelling snow.

#52 User is offline   Evangelion_Unit_01 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 26693

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:56 PM

Made a budget and using my tax return :thumbup:

#53 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Validating
  • Member No.: 18421

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:07 AM

View PostEvangelion_Unit_01, on 21 March 2011 - 11:56 PM, said:

I read "Made a midget and using my fax return."

Yeah, I'm pretty ignorant.
Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen
Fullmetal Alchemist - Greedling

#54 User is offline   Evangelion_Unit_01 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 26693

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:09 AM

View Postnouseforaname, on 22 March 2011 - 12:07 AM, said:

I read "Made a midget and using my fax return."

Yeah, I'm pretty ignorant.

HAHAHAHA!! Thats amazing...I do wish that I could make midgets though. Would be a fun time :w00t:

#55 User is offline   SinGrinz 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 58900

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:49 PM

My birthday...
PLUS PLUS extra money from christmas... But this year I'm putting away some of the money my aunt is giving me...
This year I'm in college so money is pretty tight but I should be able to have $200 dollars and maybe another $50 for food.
LOLOLOLOL
when you see me, you'll see that crazy gleam
yes I am a yaoi freak <3

COSPLAY
Pyramid Head with Nurse Purse::: Silent Hill ::: 90%
Villetta Nu::: Code Geass ::: 25%
Rave Costume: Black March Hair Raver::: N/A ::: 10%

#56 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:53 PM

View PostEvangelion_Unit_01, on 21 March 2011 - 11:56 PM, said:

I tried this. Stuff happened. My mom messed up so I had to pay about 1000 more than what I was suppose to pay out among other issues. I also had to pay on the light bill about 300 dollars. (Rent is 750 so we owed like 1988 from late fees and mom skipping out since she pays most of it. Originally I had to only pay about 900-1000 dollars towards rent and I coulda saved 600 dollars since they were skipping a month.)

So I ended up spending like $2370 dollars on other crap not counting my cosplay stuff. I'm trying to get odd jobs because I'm not working currently ._. I'm only getting unemployment and I still have to pay 139 dollars on the light bill each month now.

Also with Kasin I had a kid so I ended up buying food/pizza/etc. due to his autism.

Still not giving up though~! After April I don't have to buy any more cosplay stuff! Plus I found a couple of guys who wanted my room so that's some cash off of that as well :clap:

This post has been edited by The Fujoshi: 31 March 2011 - 01:54 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#57 User is offline   stomptoMYbeat 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2256

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:20 PM

For the past few months, I've been collecting ALL of my change leftover from purchases in this enormous piggy bank I've got in my room. Occasionally when I've got some spare singles, I'll throw a few in there. I emptied it out the other day just to get an idea as to how much I've saved so far, and I'm bordering on $70! I never realized until now how much change I acquire in such a short amount of time. And normally, if I just let it sit in my purse, I always end up spending it on junk food while I'm at school and whatnot, so it's much better off in the piggy bank! Right before the convention, I'm going to cash it in at the bank, and split the amount in half; spending half of it on booze, half of it on food. I'll probably put a small portion aside for the dealer's room and artist alley, but I don't need too much for that. I've severely cut my unnecessary merch buying habits over the years, thankfully!
FIND ME AT ACEN: WEARING MY DEADMAU5 HEAD AGAIN!

#58 User is offline   ☆ MV 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 21362

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

I eat a big breakfast, bring my lunch secretly and save the lunch money my mum gives me. If I do it for a month I easily have $100 :3
ACen 2017
--- -(Persona 5|Justine)-70%
--- -(Daiya no Ace|Miyuki Kazuya Seido uniform)-90%
--- (ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept.|Jean Otus)-0%

(Sorry this list changes a lot, I'm really indecisive :( )
facebook

#59 User is offline   NinjaJedi007 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 59569

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:04 PM

I'm going to redirect my spending. I'll sacrifice going out for a weekend or two for extra spending money. I'm sure there will be lots of unnecessary things I will want to buy at ACen.
Dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

#60 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:36 PM

Working on getting another job and doing stuff from Craig's list

Also trying to sell off things I don't need like laptops and what not.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users