Anime Central Forums: Living in this city is losing its appeal - Anime Central Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Living in this city is losing its appeal

#1 User is offline   Smokey 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6522
  • Posts: 606
  • Joined: 15-March 06
  • Location:Somewhere amid Ankh-Morpork, Xanth and Amsterdam

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:21 PM

My neighbor across the street called me this morning telling me that he saw someone loitering on my front porch and another person going into my back yard. I went out my back door and discovered all yard tools I keep in the basement stairwell scattered all over and a big wet area on the bottom half of the basement door dripping into a puddle. Eww, right? Grabbing a sickle I went around to the front and caught two lowlifes on my porch looking under the door mat and inside the storm door. They were obviously looking for a spare key.

They claimed they were "waiting for the guy that lives here." After I responded by trying to slice off a few of their body parts, they chose to leave. It wasn't until after they ran that I discovered that they stole my mail, but they were nice enough to leave a couple of loogies in its place.

Now this place is starting to look like a prison. I've got padlocks on both garage doors and both gates, and just finished installing a locking mailbox and barring the basement door.

I hate having to put up with this crap, but as long as I need to take care of an aging parent, I'm stuck here. I hate the idea of having to get a legitimate gun, but if this kind of crap keeps up, I'm not going to have much choice.

Sorry, just needed to vent.
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#2 User is offline   blackcat18 

  • Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 16853
  • Posts: 234
  • Joined: 18-January 08
  • Location:South Beloit, Il

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:52 PM

everyone needs to vent once in a while...seems no one has any respect for anyone else anymore...like those kids that got shot after they threw bricks at the 80 something year old in chicago
If anyone has pics of the "crochet" leafeon please let me know! I can't seem to find any of the shots online T_T

#3 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28448
  • Posts: 645
  • Joined: 23-April 09
  • Location:In front of my computer

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:15 PM

Where do you live, exactly? O.o sounds like what my neighborhood used to be like, to some extent. Let's just say you need at least 2 keys to get into my house. 3 if you're coming in through the back.
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;


"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon



#4 User is offline   Lord Warhammer 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 11892
  • Posts: 1,201
  • Joined: 11-June 07
  • Location:Detroit Mi and Atlanta GA (SCAD)

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:50 PM

to quote my dad " get the gun, there's nothing wrong with thinning out the gene pool"
Artist Alley Assistant Department Head!
myspace, facebook, youtube, and photobucket links are on my about me page.
ACEN cosplays.. time to plan plan plan.

I go to and staff many cons. Let's have a blast!

#5 User is offline   sentinel28a 

  • Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435
  • Posts: 3,371
  • Joined: 13-January 04
  • Location:Montana, Land of the Weird

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:18 PM

Glad I live in Montana. Sure, we have crime, but it gets...taken care of. :pirate:

Of course, the bears might get you...

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"And we're not talking Brian Urlacher"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#6 User is offline   Smokey 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6522
  • Posts: 606
  • Joined: 15-March 06
  • Location:Somewhere amid Ankh-Morpork, Xanth and Amsterdam

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:57 PM

View PostKaay-chan, on 05 October 2010 - 04:15 PM, said:

Where do you live, exactly?


Far Northwest side, basically Belmont & Cicero. Right in the farthest corner of the 16th District, so the only time we see any patrol cars is when the high school lets out.

It really saddens me. This used to be such a nice area. Then the movie theaters and restaurants started closing down, currency exchanges began springing up, the few small businesses that managed to survive had to install burglar gates...

Can't wait to get the farch out of here.

Hey suburbanites! Which 'burb do you live in, and why would it be a good one to move to?
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#7 User is offline   Smokey 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6522
  • Posts: 606
  • Joined: 15-March 06
  • Location:Somewhere amid Ankh-Morpork, Xanth and Amsterdam

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:59 PM

View Postsentinel28a, on 05 October 2010 - 06:18 PM, said:

Glad I live in Montana. Sure, we have crime, but it gets...taken care of. :pirate:



That sounds awfully tempting, Ben. Of course, commuting to the ACen planning meetings would be a beeeeeeeotch!
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#8 User is offline   sentinel28a 

  • Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435
  • Posts: 3,371
  • Joined: 13-January 04
  • Location:Montana, Land of the Weird

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:28 PM

View PostSmokey, on 05 October 2010 - 07:59 PM, said:

That sounds awfully tempting, Ben. Of course, commuting to the ACen planning meetings would be a beeeeeeeotch!


Yeah, that 2000 mile commute (one-way) is a bit of a toughie. Though I have some friends who live in northern Indiana who love it...except for the part about no jobs.

I imagine the cost of living in Rosemont is probably higher than the testicles on a giraffe. That seems like a nice place.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"It's a gated community fortress"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#9 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130
  • Posts: 2,685
  • Joined: 31-January 06
  • Location:Standing at the crossroads of 'Law' & 'Order'

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:28 PM

Here in Texas that's all the reason we need to shoot a person.
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#10 User is offline   Jguy 

  • Elite Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Elite
  • Member No.: 18261
  • Posts: 640
  • Joined: 09-May 08
  • Location:Batavia, IL

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:32 PM

You should come out into the Fox Valley area! The only advantage about being out here is not so much traffic and being far away from ACen. :D
Go ahead and stop by my website: My Site

jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cookie
apt-get: cookie not found
jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cake
apt-get: cake not found[/font][/center]

#11 User is offline   redx1 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 20031
  • Posts: 1,601
  • Joined: 23-November 08
  • Location:Chicago

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:37 PM

Sad story man. I really do hate how the neighborhoods have changed here. I'm sorry to hear that happening to you.
~~

#12 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272
  • Posts: 706
  • Joined: 03-February 10
  • Location:Weedland, USA

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:47 PM

View PostJguy, on 05 October 2010 - 08:32 PM, said:

You should come out into the Fox Valley area! The only advantage about being out here is not so much traffic and being far away from ACen. :D


Come to Sandwich. We're absolutely boring, nothing to do, a technophiles worst nightmare, and corn as far as you can see.

At least we have the state's oldest county fair.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#13 User is offline   Lina 

  • Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570
  • Posts: 6,861
  • Joined: 23-April 07
  • Location:Wonderland

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:40 PM

North West Suburbs are pretty good! I live in Arlington Heights. If you move to the NW Suburbs, you will be close to ACen and Mitsuwa! :D

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#14 User is offline   obakasan 

  • Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2555
  • Posts: 812
  • Joined: 07-June 04
  • Location:Benny Kubelsky slept here

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:10 PM

Sadly it's getting bad even where I live what with certain "domestic terrorist" groups (ie gangs) moving in. Now even get occasional gunfire, fortunately in the distance. Police can be seen at the yearly traffic stops checking for city stickers... Otherwise...

I have a bud that moved to 40 acres of swamp in Northern Wisconsin. You know that Roach Motel ad? They go in but never come out...?

The herd definitely needs a bit of thinning.
This space intentionally left blank.

#15 User is offline   Prayer Police 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 11087
  • Posts: 687
  • Joined: 09-May 07
  • Location:Chicago, IL

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:28 PM

As long as there's no yuppies and hipters, I'm good.
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

#16 User is offline   sammy-45 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 42
  • Posts: 1,310
  • Joined: 09-April 03
  • Location:Near Ottawa, Il

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:57 PM

Smokey you can come out here and live with me in Marseilles- it's further out then Sandwich. Though I have to point out it is a dying town. We are looking to move to Minooka which is closer to my hubby's job one day when we can afford it. Till then it's more corn and soy fields for us.
Staff from 2003 to 2010. Currently Retired.

Blessed are the cracked:
for it is they who let in the light!


Go Cubs!!!!GO BEARS!!!!

#17 User is offline   Smokey 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6522
  • Posts: 606
  • Joined: 15-March 06
  • Location:Somewhere amid Ankh-Morpork, Xanth and Amsterdam

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:29 PM

View Postsammy-45, on 06 October 2010 - 07:57 PM, said:

Smokey you can come out here and live with me in Marseilles- it's further out then Sandwich. Though I have to point out it is a dying town. We are looking to move to Minooka which is closer to my hubby's job one day when we can afford it. Till then it's more corn and soy fields for us.

Hey, I'll be happy to trade a public high school and Mexican parties on both sides for those corn and soy fields (Mmmmm, free fresh corn and edamami.)
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#18 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28448
  • Posts: 645
  • Joined: 23-April 09
  • Location:In front of my computer

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:00 PM

Honestly, though, you need to consider the fact that the quality of neighborhoods in the city (or anywhere, I imagine). People who live in crappy neighborhoods think back on the "good old days" when it was "such a nice neighborhood," while people who live in nice neighborhoods laugh at what a nightmare it was to live there five-ten years ago. I know I talk about how scary it could be growing up in my neighborhood, but the truth is, it's gotten really nice in the past 5-10 years (anyone who's familiar with the Bucktown/ Logan Square area should know what I'm talking about). My parents were able to own the building we live in because it was so cheap back when they bought it thirty years ago, but we'd never be able to afford something like it now.
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;


"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon



#19 User is offline   Smokey 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6522
  • Posts: 606
  • Joined: 15-March 06
  • Location:Somewhere amid Ankh-Morpork, Xanth and Amsterdam

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:19 PM

View PostKaay-chan, on 06 October 2010 - 10:00 PM, said:

Honestly, though, you need to consider the fact that the quality of neighborhoods in the city (or anywhere, I imagine). People who live in crappy neighborhoods think back on the "good old days" when it was "such a nice neighborhood," while people who live in nice neighborhoods laugh at what a nightmare it was to live there five-ten years ago. I know I talk about how scary it could be growing up in my neighborhood, but the truth is, it's gotten really nice in the past 5-10 years (anyone who's familiar with the Bucktown/ Logan Square area should know what I'm talking about). My parents were able to own the building we live in because it was so cheap back when they bought it thirty years ago, but we'd never be able to afford something like it now.

They're trying to gentrify the 6 Corners area, which tends to attract safer neighborhoods, but they've been working on it for nearly a decade now. At this point, Sears and Bally's are still the only things keeping it all from collapsing.

I wonder if selling the house would get me enough for a small house with a few wooded acres up in central Wisconsin.


The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#20 User is offline   KnitChick 

  • ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 9629
  • Posts: 2,152
  • Joined: 04-March 07
  • Location:Chicagoland

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:45 PM

Wow, that's insane!! Sorry to hear that's happening to you! :(

That's part of why I like Norridge - we're right on top of Chicago, walking distance from several bus routes that go into the city, but we only pay $5 for car stickers, the taxes aren't bad (the mall helps keep our property taxes down a bit), and the crime blotter is about 50% people stealing from the mall, 45% drunk drivers or speeding, and 5% other stuff (like vandalism/burglary/etc). I feel very safe here. I also feel very safe out in Naperville & Aurora, I'm not nervous about walking around at night like I am in Chicago.

Of course the best advantage to Norridge is, only 3 miles from Acen! ;)
Event Accessibility Services staff for ACen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Anime Milwaukee 2017: Philip (Kamen Rider W), Karma (Assassination Classroom)
C2E2 2017: Philip (Kamen Rider W), Hiiro Kagami (Kamen Rider Brave), possibly Ghostbuster (if I have my panel), maybe Neptune (RWBY)
ACen 2017: Philip (Kamen Rider W), Hiiro Kagami (Kamen Rider Brave), Gou Shijima (Kamen Rider Mach), Karma (Assassination Classroom), Neptune (RWBY)
Definite 2017 cons (no cosplay plans set as of yet): Uchi-con, NWI Comic Con

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My cosplay / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#21 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28448
  • Posts: 645
  • Joined: 23-April 09
  • Location:In front of my computer

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:56 PM

View PostSmokey, on 06 October 2010 - 10:19 PM, said:

They're trying to gentrify the 6 Corners area, which tends to attract safer neighborhoods, but they've been working on it for nearly a decade now. At this point, Sears and Bally's are still the only things keeping it all from collapsing.

I wonder if selling the house would get me enough for a small house with a few wooded acres up in central Wisconsin.


I'm just saying that just because your neighborhood has gone bad doesn't mean you need to be disillusioned by the entire city. And to be honest, being out of the city doesn't guarantee that you're going to escape crime. My family has a second home in the middle of nowhere in Michigan, and even there we've had problems; we used to think it was safe there to leave, say, our car doors unlocked, and then my PS2 disappeared; worse than that, our house is on a lake and our property happens to be such that it's particularly easy to access the water, and while we've had suspicions about it for years, we just discovered for sure this past spring that our "dear, sweet, elderly neighbors" have been letting people onto our property to put their boats into the water without our permission. My parents spent the summer chaining up the access to the ramp on our property and putting boulders in various places to make it harder to get onto our property, but when my parents went there in September after dropping me off at school they found the chain at the entrance of our property had been cut and then put back together to hide the fact that it had been cut and the weeds further down our shoreline were matted down as if someone had pulled there boat out there.
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;


"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon



#22 User is offline   Smokey 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6522
  • Posts: 606
  • Joined: 15-March 06
  • Location:Somewhere amid Ankh-Morpork, Xanth and Amsterdam

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:30 PM

View PostKaay-chan, on 06 October 2010 - 10:56 PM, said:

I'm just saying that just because your neighborhood has gone bad doesn't mean you need to be disillusioned by the entire city. And to be honest, being out of the city doesn't guarantee that you're going to escape crime. My family has a second home in the middle of nowhere in Michigan, and even there we've had problems; we used to think it was safe there to leave, say, our car doors unlocked, and then my PS2 disappeared; worse than that, our house is on a lake and our property happens to be such that it's particularly easy to access the water, and while we've had suspicions about it for years, we just discovered for sure this past spring that our "dear, sweet, elderly neighbors" have been letting people onto our property to put their boats into the water without our permission. My parents spent the summer chaining up the access to the ramp on our property and putting boulders in various places to make it harder to get onto our property, but when my parents went there in September after dropping me off at school they found the chain at the entrance of our property had been cut and then put back together to hide the fact that it had been cut and the weeds further down our shoreline were matted down as if someone had pulled there boat out there.


Feh! So there's not too many places left where you can feel safe. I might as well move to Japan. They're having a population crisis anyway.

If I finish learning the language maybe I can get a job teaching high school English. (I know, dream on.) :lol:
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#23 User is offline   Krystal 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 14958
  • Posts: 2,058
  • Joined: 20-October 07

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:05 PM

Over spring break, me and HEDGES found ourselves in the middle of a gang shooting WHILE at a hot dog stand.

That's the real Chicago experience. ;_;

EDIT: Needless to say, I still love Chicago. I'm going there in a week. ^_^

This post has been edited by Krystal: 07 October 2010 - 06:05 PM

Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#24 User is offline   Snow_Storm 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 58697
  • Posts: 147
  • Joined: 09-August 10
  • Location:St. Louis, MO

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:27 PM

At least it's better than St. Louis where you could wind up gettin' killed over a damn slice of pizza.. Anyway, that's messed up.
ACen 2014 Cosplay List (Final)

Goat-Kun (Umineko no Naku Koro Ni) - Friday
Garterbelt (Panty and Stocking) - Saturday
Coach (Left 4 Dead 2) - Thursay (maybe), Saturday

#25 User is offline   sentinel28a 

  • Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435
  • Posts: 3,371
  • Joined: 13-January 04
  • Location:Montana, Land of the Weird

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:13 PM

View PostSmokey, on 06 October 2010 - 10:19 PM, said:

They're trying to gentrify the 6 Corners area, which tends to attract safer neighborhoods, but they've been working on it for nearly a decade now. At this point, Sears and Bally's are still the only things keeping it all from collapsing.

I wonder if selling the house would get me enough for a small house with a few wooded acres up in central Wisconsin.


Maybe. I have a good friend in Stevens Point who loves it there...couple in Eau Claire as well. Their cost of living didn't seem any worse than mine here in Montana (we don't have sales tax up here, but pay for it in property taxes).

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Better than living in the Alamo"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#26 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28448
  • Posts: 645
  • Joined: 23-April 09
  • Location:In front of my computer

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:55 PM

View PostSmokey, on 07 October 2010 - 04:30 PM, said:

Feh! So there's not too many places left where you can feel safe. I might as well move to Japan. They're having a population crisis anyway.

If I finish learning the language maybe I can get a job teaching high school English. (I know, dream on.) :lol:


If I can be perfectly blunt, I think you're in dream land if you think you can move anywhere where there's no crime. The days where people could live in the delusion that you didn't need to lock your doors and keep everything under lock and key are long gone and the reality is that people can be real ba--*reminds her self that this is a family friendly forum*--not nice people sometimes. I know this seems like a really pessimistic viewpoint, and I really do try to remain an optimist, but that's the truth. Do I wish it were different? Heck yeah. Do I expect things to ever change? Not really.
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;


"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon



#27 User is offline   Smokey 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6522
  • Posts: 606
  • Joined: 15-March 06
  • Location:Somewhere amid Ankh-Morpork, Xanth and Amsterdam

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:23 AM

View PostKaay-chan, on 07 October 2010 - 10:55 PM, said:

If I can be perfectly blunt, I think you're in dream land if you think you can move anywhere where there's no crime. The days where people could live in the delusion that you didn't need to lock your doors and keep everything under lock and key are long gone and the reality is that people can be real ba--*reminds her self that this is a family friendly forum*--not nice people sometimes. I know this seems like a really pessimistic viewpoint, and I really do try to remain an optimist, but that's the truth. Do I wish it were different? Heck yeah. Do I expect things to ever change? Not really.

I know there's no place left to really be safe, but there's got to be someplace where you don't have to worry about thugs lurking in your doorway.

When I managed that camp resort in Missouri, the only time we ever had to call the sheriff out was when the city folk from KC got drunk and became a danger to the other campers, and about the most serious security matter I had to deal with personally was when one of the neighbor's cows would come wandering through a break in the fence. I spent a couple of years in a tourist town in Massachusetts. Off season, the only thing the police used their cells for was holding stray dogs for their owners to pick up. Are there any parts of that America still in existence?

I just want to get away from big cities and the people that live in them. I want a small town someplace where the city folk don't even pass through, let alone migrate to (Too many of those in the Great Cheesy North now.) Someplace where, as Ben and that poster from Texas suggested, those type of things generally 'take care of themselves'. Someplace where the closest thing to a street gang is the Little League team. Someplace where I don't have to worry about what little family I have getting hit by a stray shot.

Sorry. It's late. I'm tired.
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#28 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28448
  • Posts: 645
  • Joined: 23-April 09
  • Location:In front of my computer

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:05 AM

View PostSmokey, on 08 October 2010 - 12:23 AM, said:

I know there's no place left to really be safe, but there's got to be someplace where you don't have to worry about thugs lurking in your doorway.

When I managed that camp resort in Missouri, the only time we ever had to call the sheriff out was when the city folk from KC got drunk and became a danger to the other campers, and about the most serious security matter I had to deal with personally was when one of the neighbor's cows would come wandering through a break in the fence. I spent a couple of years in a tourist town in Massachusetts. Off season, the only thing the police used their cells for was holding stray dogs for their owners to pick up. Are there any parts of that America still in existence?

I just want to get away from big cities and the people that live in them. I want a small town someplace where the city folk don't even pass through, let alone migrate to (Too many of those in the Great Cheesy North now.) Someplace where, as Ben and that poster from Texas suggested, those type of things generally 'take care of themselves'. Someplace where the closest thing to a street gang is the Little League team. Someplace where I don't have to worry about what little family I have getting hit by a stray shot.

Sorry. It's late. I'm tired.


I really hate to break it to you, but even small towns have their problems. People from the city tend to romanticize it, but the reality is in the Sociology class I took last year on current social issues, we spent half the term talking about meth in small town America (because it's actually much more prevalent there than it is in cities; people use it as a working drug so they can have the energy to work more shifts at the local factories and then end up addicted, and meth addicts do some crazy sh... er....stuff), and the other half talking about poverty policy in America, and especially it's effects in small towns (I'm guessing the focus on small town America probably had something to do with the fact that our school is in a small town).

The reality is, as the economy falls, the crime rate raises, and the harsh reality is that small towns get hit the hardest as the factories that gave them life are shut down one by one. The farther away you are from a city, the fewer resources you're going to have; the hospitals might not be that good, or might be insanely far away. Because of the economy, the local schools probably won't be the best, especially if the town's been losing it's factories for a long time.

I'm not saying that the kind of place you're dreaming of is impossible, just that you shouldn't get your hopes up because, honestly, I don't think it exists. Even some of the suburbs are getting bad because, as the police in the city get better at dealing with the gangs, most of them are moving out to the suburbs where the police aren't as well equipped.

This post has been edited by Kaay-chan: 08 October 2010 - 02:05 AM

Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;


"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon



#29 User is offline   Smokey 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6522
  • Posts: 606
  • Joined: 15-March 06
  • Location:Somewhere amid Ankh-Morpork, Xanth and Amsterdam

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:38 PM

View PostKaay-chan, on 08 October 2010 - 02:05 AM, said:

I really hate to break it to you, but even small towns have their problems. People from the city tend to romanticize it, but the reality is in the Sociology class I took last year on current social issues, we spent half the term talking about meth in small town America (because it's actually much more prevalent there than it is in cities; people use it as a working drug so they can have the energy to work more shifts at the local factories and then end up addicted, and meth addicts do some crazy sh... er....stuff), and the other half talking about poverty policy in America, and especially it's effects in small towns (I'm guessing the focus on small town America probably had something to do with the fact that our school is in a small town).

The reality is, as the economy falls, the crime rate raises, and the harsh reality is that small towns get hit the hardest as the factories that gave them life are shut down one by one. The farther away you are from a city, the fewer resources you're going to have; the hospitals might not be that good, or might be insanely far away. Because of the economy, the local schools probably won't be the best, especially if the town's been losing it's factories for a long time.

I'm not saying that the kind of place you're dreaming of is impossible, just that you shouldn't get your hopes up because, honestly, I don't think it exists. Even some of the suburbs are getting bad because, as the police in the city get better at dealing with the gangs, most of them are moving out to the suburbs where the police aren't as well equipped.


Well then, speaking as a member of your parent's generation, sorry about the condition of the world we're leaving you. Just remember not all of us contributed to the mess.
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#30 User is offline   sentinel28a 

  • Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435
  • Posts: 3,371
  • Joined: 13-January 04
  • Location:Montana, Land of the Weird

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:17 AM

It depends. We do have a meth problem in Montana, though the state's anti-meth program has worked so well other states are adopting it. And to say that there's no crime in my town would be inaccurate--since my dad had his lawnmower stolen last year. Sadly, our biggest problem up in MT is the Indian reservations. Some of the tribes really work hard to keep their places clean and invest in their people--they're doing well.

Others, not so much...they pretty much live on the government dole. I have far too many hotel work stories of Indians coming down, dropping their children off at the hotel (and expecting the hotel staff to babysit them), then taking their monthly government "sorry we took your land from your ancestors" check and spending it on booze. Unemployment rates on some of the reservations are about 50%. So yeah, we may not have a "ghetto" like parts of Chicago in Montana's cities, but we have them elsewhere. It's a sad situation.

All that aside, though, we just don't have the level of crime up here, and it's one reason why I stay here despite it being a pretty boring town (even with the college) and the pay sucking. I can walk around at night and be more afraid of rattlesnakes than gangs. (We had a gang up here...emphasis on had. They didn't last long once the local PD found out about them.) But that is the tradeoff: there are a lot of jobs, but the pay rate is low. We don't have a sales tax, but the property taxes are high as a result. The weather is worse than Chicago as well--though that's debatable, since we have dry cold rather than Chicago's lake-effect wet cold.

Montana is basically a good place to visit, a great place to go to college, and even better to retire to. But live there between 25-60? Your mileage may vary, a lot. Still--I wouldn't live anywhere else, and I've lived in Germany, Atlanta, and Denver.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"And they can keep Atlanta and Denver"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users