Anime Central Forums: Catherine: from the makers of persona - Anime Central Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Catherine: from the makers of persona atlus' first HD game

#31 User is offline   DarkMimi 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 38289

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:34 PM

I loved the game when I first saw the confusing trailer that blew my mind into pieces and still continues to do so. I may just pre-order it, as when I went to GameStop recently they said I should do so if I "like RPGs".

XD I REALLY hope they don't offer the pre-order to just anyone, this is not the typical RPG.

2014 Cosplay Plans
Bioshock Infinite - Daisy Fitzroy (0% Completed)
Batman - Talia Al Gul (0% Completed)
Princess Peach: Military Style (0% Completed)

Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon X, and Borderlands 2
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel! HERE!!!
I <3 Friends Who Keep In Touch

#32 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:49 PM

Dunno if this is really considered an rpg. It's really just more like adventure/puzzle or so.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#33 User is offline   DarkMimi 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:01 PM

I suppose one would not consider it an RPG... in a sense? Maybe it's easier to call it that so it'll make some people pre-order it. I want it either way, not just for the steamy cover art (and hopefully goodies) that come with all pre-ordered games. Please United States, don't censor this game... or I will rage.
2014 Cosplay Plans

#34 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:11 PM

Well it just doesn't have the elements of a puzzle game. The Shin Megami Tensei staff were trying something new with this one instead of their usual awesome rpgs they make. lol

And this is atlus. They usually don't censor their games and keep it pure. So censoring should be the least of worries on your mind about this game.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#35 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:11 PM

My gamestop didn't mention this game they mentioned FF4 remake for the psp lol.

I'm going to get this after acen since I am pre ordering enough games and I haven't gotten all my wigs yet for my cosplays. But I am getting it since <3 atlus.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#36 User is offline   Jamcaro 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 59719

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:36 PM

I'm really excited about this game, got my pre-order in a few weeks ago. I asked about a limited edition and they said there wasn't one as of yet but I'm still hopeful there will be one announced.

#37 User is offline   JoeSomebody2 

• IRT Operative
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 58483

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:24 AM

I worry about the voice acting. I'm keen on just having the game work through subtitles if it means having some decent dubbing in comparison to what we usually get with English dub. :(

#38 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:08 PM

View PostJoeSomebody2, on 26 March 2011 - 12:24 AM, said:

I worry about the voice acting. I'm keen on just having the game work through subtitles if it means having some decent dubbing in comparison to what we usually get with English dub. :(

Really? I haven't had too many issues with Atlus games and voice acting in the past.

Regardless, dubbing will make the game more accessible to others as more people prefer dubbing over subbing, though I do enjoy when games give the option of having both.

This post has been edited by FlyingElf: 28 March 2011 - 03:13 AM

Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#39 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:53 PM

I agree with Elf. Usually Atlus has top notch voice acting for it's games. Not to mention having the english and japanese tracks are very popular in atlus games nowadays.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo

#40 User is offline   JoeSomebody2 

• IRT Operative
  • PipPip

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:34 AM

View PostFlyingElf, on 27 March 2011 - 04:08 PM, said:

Really? I haven't had too many issues with Atlus games and voice acting in the past. Regardless, dubbing will make the game more accessible to others as more people prefer dubbing over subbing, though I do enjoy when games give the option of having both.

View PostXenoBlade, on 27 March 2011 - 07:53 PM, said:

I agree with Elf. Usually Atlus has top notch voice acting for it's games. Not to mention having the english and japanese tracks are very popular in atlus games nowadays.

I admit, I haven't been on the video game scene in awhile, and what games I have seen of Atlus did make me smile. It's probably my dissatisfaction of seeing plenty of off dubbing in popular games. And not to bash the voice talent of today, but I prefer the original actors to a game or any piece, because that voice was made to fit while USA needs to make it work. That, and I like the idea of USA being made to deal with another language and culture instead of being spoon fed. ^_^

And there are currently plenty of Let's Plays' of Catherine on YT right now. Very intrigued by this game and its "never-ending" staircase. :thumbup:

#41 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:07 AM

View PostJoeSomebody2, on 03 April 2011 - 02:34 AM, said:

I admit, I haven't been on the video game scene in awhile, and what games I have seen of Atlus did make me smile. It's probably my dissatisfaction of seeing plenty of off dubbing in popular games. And not to bash the voice talent of today, but I prefer the original actors to a game or any piece, because that voice was made to fit while USA needs to make it work. That, and I like the idea of USA being made to deal with another language and culture instead of being spoon fed. ^_^

And there are currently plenty of Let's Plays' of Catherine on YT right now. Very intrigued by this game and its "never-ending" staircase. :thumbup:

I agree with pretty much everything you said, but I'm talking purely from a business sense. The majority of gamers prefer dubbed over subbed. So they sell more copies and make more money to bring more games over.
Armageddicon!!

#42 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:14 PM

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQyQOyTWIHY[/media]

Catherine give a way where you can be in the trailer.

Got it from the Atlus newsletter today.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#43 User is offline   DarkMimi 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:05 AM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 12 April 2011 - 01:14 PM, said:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQyQOyTWIHY[/media]

Catherine give a way where you can be in the trailer.

Got it from the Atlus newsletter today.

=D I just saw the video, I am SO doing this. I would love to be in a trailer for one of my anticipated games for the summer.

*BTW, I WANT to get married... just to have the ceremony. Legality of my love and declaration for my S/O be damned.

2014 Cosplay Plans

#44 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:31 PM

Now available for pre-order, including a deluxe edition with lots of other game related merch: http://catherinetheg...m/purchase.html

Game will be released July 26

This post has been edited by wrexness: 02 May 2011 - 05:31 PM

2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#45 User is offline   SupremeKai 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 58

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:08 PM

That has got to be one of the better pre-orders in a while atleast in my opinion like that it comes in a pizza box
If you ever get lost in the forest, screw it build a house, now you have severely improved your predictimet

#46 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:13 PM

I got this from the newsletter and I died smiling :3

I can not wait til I see the cosplays/more gameplay/ what may have you.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:

#47 User is offline   Mansopp Longnose 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59988

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:00 AM

I MUST HAVE THIS. I'm so afraid though. Heavy Rain looked AWESOME in the trailers, so I preordered it and...it was disappointing. But...DAMN I AM PREORDERING IT. FOR THE BOXERRRRRRRRRRRRRRS!!
Look for the Long Nose!
------------------------------------
2011 Cosplays:
Water 7 Usopp (OP), Water 7 & Thriller Bark Sogeking (OP), Julie Katou (KHR), President Version Laguna Loire (FF8), Kamina-King (OP/TTGL) (Hopefully)
http://www.facebook.com/srgisme Add me if you dare!

#48 User is offline   Mansopp Longnose 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:39 PM

Just got done ordering the deluxe edition. I AM GETTIN THEM DAMN BOXERS!
Look for the Long Nose!
2011 Cosplays:
Water 7 Usopp (OP), Water 7 & Thriller Bark Sogeking (OP), Julie Katou (KHR), President Version Laguna Loire (FF8), Kamina-King (OP/TTGL) (Hopefully)

#49 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:40 PM

View PostMansopp Longnose, on 05 May 2011 - 12:00 AM, said:

I MUST HAVE THIS. I'm so afraid though. Heavy Rain looked AWESOME in the trailers, so I preordered it and...it was disappointing. But...DAMN I AM PREORDERING IT. FOR THE BOXERRRRRRRRRRRRRRS!!

Hmm, I liked Heavy Rain, though I ended up buying it after the fact - believe it was on sale. Anyway, I've got it pre-ordered too. Boxers ftw.
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#50 User is offline   Mansopp Longnose 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:11 AM

just noticed there's a catherine photoshoot. I am SO THERE. *thinking about cosplaying vincent, but it's COLD in just boxers*
Look for the Long Nose!
2011 Cosplays:

#51 User is offline   JoeSomebody2 

• IRT Operative
  • PipPip

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:45 AM

View PostMansopp Longnose, on 08 May 2011 - 02:11 AM, said:

just noticed there's a catherine photoshoot. I am SO THERE. *thinking about cosplaying vincent, but it's COLD in just boxers*

Not that hard to cosplay. I like it. Pillow, boxers, and some horns.
You're ready to push boxes to Heaven.

Beware of giant man eating babies. :zombie:

#52 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 11087

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:58 PM

I hear this game got pretty good reviews.
It's mostly a puzzle game with a interesting story.
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

#53 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

My husband is really excited for this game - he's been watching news/reviews/etc for it since last year. We just played the demo a few days ago, and I can see why he's so excited for it. (No real surprise, since he's a big fan of the Persona/Trauma Center games.) The voice acting's great, the artwork is phenomenal, and I find the dream sequences appropriately creepy.

In point of fact, the aura I'm getting from the game almost reminds me of that movie "The Cell"...only (from what I've seen thus far) not nearly as bloody or horrific.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#54 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:11 PM

If I recall correctly, the character Vincent had a cameo in Persona 3 Portable. If that's true, then the Catherine game would be loosely related to the Persona 3/4 universe. I'm curious what this might mean for the future of the multiverse that is Megami Tensei. This is a franchise that's been similar to today's bleak western RPGs, even during the 8/16-bit era -- it's had over twenty years of difficult and unhappy games about demons, the end of the world, and adult main characters who align with ambiguous good or evil sides.

View PostValkyrie, on 18 July 2011 - 04:31 PM, said:

...The voice acting's great...

I was somewhat worried. A lot of the games Atlus releases in English are dub only. So if there's decent characterization and writing, then maybe I'll look at the Catherine demo.

#55 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:59 AM

Do want. But I don't have a ps3 or a 360.
FROWN.

#56 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:37 AM

Next week, weee.

#57 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:00 PM

View Postdorkatlarge, on 18 July 2011 - 10:11 PM, said:

I was somewhat worried. A lot of the games Atlus releases in English are dub only. So if there's decent characterization and writing, then maybe I'll look at the Catherine demo.

From what I've seen in the demo, it's nicely done so far. It's hard to gauge for certain how the rest of the game will be, but I'd venture to guess that it'll be good as a whole. Jamie in particular tends to be nitpicky on voice acting in his games, but he likes how the characters sound thus far. And the script (as much as we've seen) is well done, too.

It won't hurt to check the demo, at least~
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#58 User is offline   montoya 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 60476

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:32 PM

I'm very wary of Catherine. I actually haven't looked at any gameplay videos sicne the trailer that released the fact that it was not an RPG but a puzzle-game. Atlus has managed to make some interesting games and concepts with the SMT series but I'm pretty tired of the "woman using her sexuality as a weapon" type character.

And my friend is named Catherine. It gets weird pretty quickly.
Acen 2012 Cosplay: Pharos [100%], Velma [100%].
Acen 2013 Cosplay: Charlotte Train?

#59 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:10 PM

Oh this will definitely not be a game for everyone.

More than anything else I'd love to watch couples play this game...
Armageddicon!!

#60 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:14 PM

Oh, because of the choices you can make during the texting conversations? :3

Yeah, we had fun with that too, lol

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users