Anime Central Forums: Hollywood Adaptations of Anime/Manga? - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hollywood Adaptations of Anime/Manga?

#1 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:04 AM

okay, it seems like every other week there's a 'did you hear they're doing a naruto movie' thread. so maybe it'd be better to just have an overall thread for that sort of news here. you can post your general opinions on hollywood's film adaptations of popular anime/manga and let people how you feel about them here instead of every one of those threads turning into the same debate.

also, as far as those sorts of announcements, people really need to keep in mind that hollywood snatches up rights for EVERYTHING, but just as easily half those movies never even get made. just because a studio buys the rights to make a cowboy bebop or a death note film, doesn't mean it will ever actually get made.

in fact, it's more likely it won't ever get made. so there's no real reason to freak out over your favorite anime getting licensed until you start to see directors attached, scripts being written, and actual production beginning and a predicted release date.

#2 User is offline   Matt 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 1225

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:10 AM

Yeah, I'll wait until the movies are released (and I've seen them) before I post in this thread. The only Hollywood adaptation of anime/manga that I've seen was The Guyver, and it was mediocre but not too horrible.
:heart: <span style='color:Magenta'>Proud Secretary of the Plushy Guardian Alliance</span> :heart:

:heart: <span style='color:Blue'>Soldier in The Glomp Team </span> :heart:

<span style='color:DarkSlateBlue'>Member of the Anime Central Association for the Advancement of Bunnykind</span>

#3 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:44 AM

As far as I know, the Cowboy Bebop movie is in the middle of production...Supposedly it should be released sometime this year @__@
ACen 2017 LINEUP
Pidge-Voltron
Newt Scamander-FBAWTFT
Neo - RWBY
Flemeth - DA
MC-Mysme

#4 User is offline   Animexcel 

• Production Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 80

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:48 PM

View PostSka, on 28 July 2010 - 11:44 AM, said:

As far as I know, the Cowboy Bebop movie is in the middle of production...Supposedly it should be released sometime this year @__@

Next year actually, but I won't believe it til i see it.
ACen Mascot Artist

#5 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:18 PM

View PostAnimexcel, on 28 July 2010 - 12:48 PM, said:

Next year actually, but I won't believe it til i see it.

Ditto. I am afraid of what might come of this. Where did you read about it coming out next year? I'm trying to find a recent article about it, but I can only find old ones.
ACen 2017 LINEUP
Pidge-Voltron
Newt Scamander-FBAWTFT
Neo - RWBY
Flemeth - DA
MC-Mysme

#6 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:07 PM

View PostSka, on 28 July 2010 - 11:44 AM, said:

studios cancel things even when a script is already written all the time. it's still completely up in the air until they set a shooting date to actually start filming.

The only Hollywood adaptation of anime/manga that I've seen was The Guyver, and it was mediocre but not too horrible.

there are actually TWO guyver movies! the sequel has david hayter, solid snake's voice actor, playing the guyver! the original has mark hamil.

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 28 July 2010 - 06:08 PM

#7 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:01 PM

Bebop is being produced.... Knanu Reeves is being Spike. Don't believe it? Look it up. Oh, Hollywood, *sigh*
ACen 2017 Cosplay
Friday: General Esdeath (Akame Ga Kill!) (98% d/t touch ups and re-doing sword)
Saturday: Major Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell ARISE variant] (100%)
RIP Origa <3

COME SEE MY PANELS!!!

"Let's Form a Stand Alone Complex!" Saturday, 12:30 PM – 2:15 PM Panel Room 13 DESCC
"My Ghost Whispers, Therefore I am" Saturday, 3:45 PM – 5:30 PM Panel Room 13

#8 User is offline   fntmalchemist 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 18695

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:26 AM

Wasn't there talk of a Live action Akira at one point?
PRELIMINARY SLOTS:
soon to be producing Digimon Tag/ Crest Repros. Need a head count of anyone who may be interested.

Permanents:
-Sniper(TF2 BLU)
projects:
(I'll get back to you when I've started.....) -Greed "ultimate shield" (FMA) -Wargreymon (Digimon)
SNIPAH!

#9 User is offline   firegirl26 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6771

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:45 AM

i can't wait for the evangelion movie
For acen 2012 will be cosplaying STEAMPUNK
AUTHOR of ACEN TRUE STORY(that no one reads)

REXANO
Responsible Exotic Animal Ownership

#10 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:51 PM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 28 July 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

Bebop is being produced.... Knanu Reeves is being Spike. Don't believe it? Look it up. Oh, Hollywood, *sigh*

it's not me 'not believing', it's me saying 'calm down everyone. there's still a chance it won't even get released or made. plenty of films get halted during production, run out of money, get made but never released, etc. let's wait until the movie is actually out or we've seen a trailer to totally flip out against it.'

for example, when cera was cast as scott pilgrim, it was 2-3 year ago. the movie is just now coming out, and that's only because the movie got fast-tracked a year or two ago once the books started selling out. bebop isn't exactly the most exciting NEW anime property, so i could see this floating around in pre-production for a long, long time..

many people attempt to make hugh-scale films and halfway through realize it's not doable. and if/when it does get made, it could turn out great.

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 29 July 2010 - 06:53 PM

#11 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 31104

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:41 PM

I was actually thinking about posting a thread like this so hopefully I can add some nice talking points...

It seems to me like the biggest beef everyone has with manga based movies is casting American actors as Japanese people. I admit that it would be weird to see some famous Hollywood actor playing a character named "Ichigo" or something. Now Hollywood can offer more than just John Cho and Ken Jeong to play our Asian roles but no one is going to see a film with an all Asian cast, I don't know why, but people need to see the whiteys otherwise they wont watch it. Also, filmmakers will want to have mass appeal and not just cater to the fan boys/girls like with Scott Pilgrim, every person who I've talked with it about seems to feel that there is no way that they could fit the whole series into one movie and they could stretch it out over 2 or 3, but you average Joe six-have-not-read-scott-pilgrim-pack will not really want to commit to a series that doesn't end with a conclusion, something like "Hey, he didn't beat all the evil exs, what a ripoff". Which is a thing that basing any movie off a book/comic/manga is that there is going to be A LOT of missing content and the story needs to be altered to fit the 2 hour-ish time slot.

Since we are not willing to have an all Asian cast I suggest a few things. For starters try working on a movie based of a manga that takes place in a foreign country such as England which is where Fullmetal Alchemist takes place. I think they could do a good job with a Fullmetal Alchemist movie providing they cast someone I haven't seen in a movie before as as Ed and Al, but just about everyone else could be cast from the list of current stars we have. It was a good call with Bebop because a.) the characters have western names and b.) the story is really short and could be messed with a lot because there is very little actual plot throughout. There are also series where the series takes place is either fictional or in outer space and the characters have names that are made up and not nation-specific. Unfortunatly I can not think of any series like that. XD

Another option is a more "fan fiction" approach. For example in Gantz
Spoiler
or if they made a Bleach movie they could have a American Soul Society (I don't think they ever specified if the Soul Society that we see in the series is for the whole world) so we might have an American protagonist that finds himself in a similar situation as Ichigo did. I don't know if anyone would be willing to do this sort of thing for a movie or even if the fans of said series would support it, but it's an idea.

Final note: I won't die happy until I see Danny DeVito cast as Kaio-sama in a Dragon Ball movie. ^_^
"At the start Henry either dies or has sex, leaving not-Sarah to fall in love with or not in love with a shark, a squid, a pebble, a policeman or none or all of the above."
~*~ Behold my Manga, Cosplay, Artwork and Facebook ! ~*~
Look for me as time skip Sanji from One Piece at ACen 2012!

#12 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:22 PM

it's not that people won't see a movie with an all-asian leading cast, it's that the average person won't go see a movie that doesn't have people in it who're established celebrities. most established celebrities are white.

so it's really a problem that's left up to hollywood to solve. either make slightly more diverse casting choices overall, so problems like this don't come up, or keep the same antiquated and racist system used now and continue to deal with the negative backlash as diversity becomes more and more of the norm.

honestly, there are PLENTY of japanese-american actors that are just as good as or better than tom cruise or brad pitt, but they aren't given a chance because studios don't want minorities in non-stereotyped, leading roles. then, when there comes a time where a big-name leading actor who IS a minority is required for a role, studio heads go, 'oh, well, there aren't any asians well-known enough to get people into the theaters who've never heard of bleach before! we HAVE to make him white! it's not our fault there isn't a famous asian actor that's a household name,' when in reality it is totally their fault.

the answer is pretty simple: studios make more diverse casting choices.

for now, aaron yoo or john cho will have to play ichigo if they go with an asian lead..i think those're the only two asians i can remember seeing in bigger films recently, but they're probably going to be a little too old to play a high schooler by then. i do like your idea of just changing the character if they cast a white actor.i wish they'd done that with dragon ball: evolution. i'd love for them to do that with all anime adaptations with spotty ethnic casting, and yeah, doing things like FMA or Berserk would completely solve the controversy!

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 29 July 2010 - 11:25 PM

#13 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:34 PM

Well that's the thing, Asian actors only get cast as "the Asian guy/girl" and I couldn't imagine there being an Asian leading role that is not just gimmick. It'll take a long time for the movie industry to make an Asian actor "Brad Pitt famous" or at least somewhat close to play the lead role for a manga based movie. If he/she did would they just end up casting him to play ever lead role for manga-based movies? XD

So I guess we either wait a real long time for minority actors to actually be a draw for a movie or we make some sort of compromise. I've also thought about the idea of just giving them western names, but I think that would really bug me, maybe even more than a white guy with a Japanese name.
"At the start Henry either dies or has sex, leaving not-Sarah to fall in love with or not in love with a shark, a squid, a pebble, a policeman or none or all of the above."

#14 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:01 AM

yeah, it won't be an immediate change, but that's the only genuine solution.

i definitely think it's too jarring to cast a white guy and call him ichigo, unless they tack on a lame backstory of being raised in japan or being half-japanese or being raised by japanese parents or something lame like that..

they just need to pick a really, really cool english name, i think.

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 30 July 2010 - 12:01 AM

#15 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:45 PM

Another solution: just get white people to start giving their children Japanese names.

Keiichi have a baby and name him Ichigo!

#16 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:34 AM

View PostFoolish Humon, on 30 July 2010 - 10:45 PM, said:

Another solution: just get white people to start giving their children Japanese names.

Keiichi have a baby and name him Ichigo!

lol, what? i'm not white.

**SHOCK**
i suppose i could somehow adopt caucasian babies and give them japanese names..

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 31 July 2010 - 01:41 AM

#17 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:40 PM

lol, You don't have to be white to have white baby, if the other person is white there is a possibility. So if you are willing to roll the dice go for it.

If you're not into that just do as you suggest and just adopt white kids give them Japanese names and then release them into the world!

#18 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:43 PM

i think it's more likely the baby will turn out pretty cappuccino, but i'll try.

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 03 August 2010 - 06:43 PM

#19 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:02 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on 31 July 2010 - 01:34 AM, said:

**SHOCK**
i suppose i could somehow adopt caucasian babies and give them japanese names..

Keiichi could become like Angelina Jolie, except not white, female, or famous (Yet)
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#20 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:29 PM

View PostKirbyFanOne, on 03 August 2010 - 07:02 PM, said:

Keiichi could become like Angelina Jolie, except not white, female, or famous (Yet)

was i not already exactly like angelina jolie? i was pretty sure i was..

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 03 August 2010 - 09:30 PM

#21 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:30 PM

*cough*

Now, I know the fact that "IMDB says" doesn't exactly set things in stone, but....it's a good start in terms of looking for info on stuff...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1267295/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1219827/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0400911/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1623204/
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#22 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:39 PM

View PostKaay-chan, on 03 August 2010 - 11:30 PM, said:

*cough*

Now, I know the fact that "IMDB says" doesn't exactly set things in stone, but....it's a good start in terms of looking for info on stuff...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1267295/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1219827/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0400911/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1623204/

Because this project is categorized as being in production, the data is subject to change; some data could be removed completely.

meaning, whether it happens or not is still totally up in the air. but yeah, it's definitely more likely to happen for the movies coming out next year. that means they're going to be starting actual production around right now if they're shooting for a release next year. still, since the cast lists are totally empty, it's all pretty 50/50 for now.

at the very least, keanu being attached to the bebop movie makes it the most likely to actually get made; him being involved almost makes it a definite thing, i think. but things like eva being here just means someone snatched up the rights just in case.

comics and cartoons get licensed all the time if the movie studio thinks that down the line they could POSSIBLY make a lucrative movie from the title. most of them only get made if there is high public demand, the director is really interested in doing it, or if there is a big-name actor agreeing to work on it that gets other people (scriptwriters, directors)interesting in taking the project on.

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 03 August 2010 - 11:43 PM

#23 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:52 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on 03 August 2010 - 11:39 PM, said:

meaning, whether it happens or not is still totally up in the air. but yeah, it's definitely more likely to happen for the movies coming out next year. that means they're going to be starting actual production around right now if they're shooting for a release next year. still, since the cast lists are totally empty, it's all pretty 50/50 for now.

The cast list for Cowboy Beebop is empty too, though, so I think it's more IMDB's way of trying to get people to pay for their premium service thing.
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#24 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:21 AM

well, have they cast anyone officially besides reeves? is reeves officially cast, or is it just that he said something akin to 'i'll definitely do it if it ever gets off the ground'?

#25 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:23 PM

Angelina Jolie as Faye
Michael Clark Duncan as Jet
Dakota Fanning as Ed
Hugo Weaving as Vicious

and.... go.

#26 User is offline   VIIGenesisVII 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 58551

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:51 PM

ok James Franco would make a waaaay better spike the Keanu...errr hes so dull n old it makes no sense for him to be spike. i think Bruce willis would make a good jet though too. but James Franco a def. im so afraid this movie will be butchered if they make it. they should leave it alone and continue the series as anime!
Spike Spiegel: Look at my eyes, Faye. One of them is a fake because I lost it in an accident. Since then, I've been seeing the past in one eye and the present in the other. So, I thought I could only see patches of reality, never the whole picture. I felt like I was watching a dream I could never wake up from. Before I knew it, the dream was over.

#27 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:40 AM

View PostVIIGenesisVII, on 05 August 2010 - 03:51 PM, said:

ok James Franco would make a waaaay better spike the Keanu...errr hes so dull n old it makes no sense for him to be spike. i think Bruce willis would make a good jet though too. but James Franco a def. im so afraid this movie will be butchered if they make it. they should leave it alone and continue the series as anime!

I'd just like to see no-name actors in movies like this. It is weird to think of Keanu as Spike because of all his other roles which he acts pretty much the same. If Bruce Willis was Jet I'd probably die laughing seeing him with huge black sideburns. I don't know why but I think it would be hilarious. With Faye, I just can't stand Angelina Jolie anymore. I just don't like her acting at all and Dakota Fanning is by far annoying and wouldn't do Ed any justice. I really don't know any actors that could do a good Ed and Faye.
ACen 2017 LINEUP
Pidge-Voltron
Newt Scamander-FBAWTFT
Neo - RWBY
Flemeth - DA
MC-Mysme

#28 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:41 PM

View PostFoolish Humon, on 04 August 2010 - 03:23 PM, said:

Michael Clark Duncan as Jet

I know his last name says so BUT JET IS NOT BLACK ASDF! GET OUT.

Now if you ask me, could Hollywood do a passable adaptation of an anime series? Yes, they can. Will they? Probably not, unless it was set as more than one movie (which doesn't bother Hollywood at all) but if you try to jam a 26 episode series into a 1 1/2 to 2 hour movie you are bound to fail, unless it is a completely new or non-canon storyline.

I find it is a slippery slope with such details but those guys in the department head chairs seem okay with whatever comes out now-a-days. At least get someone on Quality Control once in a while.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#29 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:47 PM

Like Kirby says, Hollywood CAN make a good adaptation, but odds are they won't. Just see virtually every video game movie ever produced.
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#30 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:26 PM

View PostKirbyFanOne, on 06 August 2010 - 02:41 PM, said:

I know his last name says so BUT JET IS NOT BLACK ASDF! GET OUT.

lol! i was going to mention it but figured i'd already posted more than enough of my opinions here.

not an anime, but i saw a scott pilgrim commercial this morning and noticed that the lead was actually mimicking the exact facial expressions used in the artwork from the graphic novels. literally, squinting while they smile and stretching out their eyes when they're saying something ditzy! so, it's not like an really close adaptation can't be made if the director is a fan.

i do think that fans need to accept that their favorite series isn't the gospels and there can always be little tweaks and changes to the story to make it fit into a 2-hour times span. a lot of adaptation movies are crappy, so fans start cringing when any change is made, but if the anime production team could go back, they'd probably tweak the story themselves, nothing's perfect. cutting out some of the duller or less important stuff from a 26 episode series to make it fit into single movie isn't necessarily 'ruining' anything.

dakota fanning is way too old to play ed!

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 06 August 2010 - 05:32 PM

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users