Anime Central Forums: Can you like anime TOO much? - Anime Central Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can you like anime TOO much? I think so!

#31 User is offline   Neko_master_Luna 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 28689

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:09 AM

I don't think the tattoo would be over the line, as an artist I would appreciate it, but I do say spending can be a sign of obsession. If your donating blood for money to buy more, that is a bit much.
Currently writing a book.

#32 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:23 PM

It's possible to love anything too much...whether it be material, immaterial, inanimate, alive, or animated. I remember a friend and I reading about a girl who loved Kurama from YuYu Hakusho so much that she wanted to marry him. Not in the typical junior-high-crush of "I soooo want to marry him, he's such a hottie..." but rather, "I WILL marry him." And she meant it. (This was several years ago; I doubt this online declaration of love exists anymore...and if it does, good luck trying to find it amongst all the fanfiction that I have no desire to sift through.) Oh, and a schoolmate of mine who loved Scooby-Doo. Loved the show, loved the toys, had a half-dorm room covered with Scooby-Doo stuff. Including a Scooby-Doo doll that had a conveniently-placed hole he'd cut out himself. (I wasn't the one who discovered it...an unfortunate friend of mine who was holding and playing with the doll did.)

Now, I'd say that if the obsession gets to that level, then yes, there is something wrong.

This post has been edited by Valkyrie: 17 July 2010 - 07:28 PM

ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#33 User is offline   that-one-girl 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 58546

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:06 AM

View PostValkyrie, on 17 July 2010 - 07:23 PM, said:

Oh, and a schoolmate of mine who loved Scooby-Doo. Loved the show, loved the toys, had a half-dorm room covered with Scooby-Doo stuff. Including a Scooby-Doo doll that had a conveniently-placed hole he'd cut out himself. (I wasn't the one who discovered it...an unfortunate friend of mine who was holding and playing with the doll did.)

Oh my gosh, your poor friend. Yeah, I'd say that's a BIT effed up

#34 User is offline   Mystline 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 35204

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:46 AM

I think tattoos are all right. :P
When people make anime and manga their number one priority in life, I think it's a problem.

#35 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:20 AM

Yes....god yes.....it's one thing if you're young but....at a certain age it's too much.

if you're 14, and own nothing but anime t-shirts, or proudly proclaim that you intend to replace your wardrobe with anime t-shirts, and with the exception of a couple of movies, literally watch absolutely nothing but anime....that's kinda understandable. Creepy, and somewhat annoying, but understandable. Some people mature at a different pace from others.

HOWEVER! I have two friends to whom, with one exception, the above description generally fits. And what, you ask, is that one exception? They're turning 20 within the next couple of months. And I worry about them, because, while one of them at least watches some American TV (like House and Criminal Minds), the other one not only doesn't watch any American TV (movies, yes, television, no), she's been known to walk out of anime club meetings just because we're watching whatever we're watching that week in English (which we only do if the dub is really good or just plain fits better). It seriously worries me when we're, say, on the bus going back to campus from the movie theater after watching Alice and Wonderland, and I'm oogling over how great Johnny Depp (the only reason I really wanted to go see that movie) is, and she doesn't even know who he is. Additionally, I honestly don't think one of my friends owns a single t-shirt that's not anime related, and the other, at the ripe age of 19, is consciously trying to replace all of her t-shirts with anime themed t-shirts. I mean, we're supposed to be steadily integrating ourselves into the "real world," at this point in our lives, right?

Sorry for the rant...>.<;;; I've been thinking about this a lot lately because, when we were deciding on housing last year, I didn't realize just how obsessive these two were, and by the time I did, it was way too late, and so now I'm going to be living with them for the next school year, so I kinda needed to get it off my chest somewhere...I feel much better now. Honestly, I think it's okay to define yourself with anime as long as it isn't the entire, or even the majority of the definition.

This post has been edited by Kaay-chan: 31 July 2010 - 02:21 AM

Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#36 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:37 PM

^I fail to see what's wrong with your friends in the above scenario. A bit snooty and elitist walking out on an English dub, but that doesn't really sound that different from me. I only have a few non-anime t-shirts (and those few are geek related), I don't see what the big deal is. I've seen probably 2-3 American movies this year and watch very little television (mostly History and Discovery). In fact, one of the bedrooms in my house is dedicated entirely to being an anime shrine with DVDs, figures, and wall scrolls all over the place. (*Note* I'm 24 years old, well past the "ripe" age of 19.)

I disagree that someone should compromise their loves and their hobbies for the sake of "fitting in". If your friend doesn't know who Johnny Depp is, so what? It's no different than not knowing who Lady Gaga or Ke$ha are (and I really only know the names, not even so much the music). It's just pointless pop culture. If it doesn't interest them, it doesn't interest them. Being able to function in the real world has nothing to do with being interested in movies or music or TV.
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#37 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:10 PM

View Postwrexness, on 02 August 2010 - 01:37 PM, said:

^I fail to see what's wrong with your friends in the above scenario. A bit snooty and elitist walking out on an English dub, but that doesn't really sound that different from me. I only have a few non-anime t-shirts (and those few are geek related), I don't see what the big deal is. I've seen probably 2-3 American movies this year and watch very little television (mostly History and Discovery). In fact, one of the bedrooms in my house is dedicated entirely to being an anime shrine with DVDs, figures, and wall scrolls all over the place. (*Note* I'm 24 years old, well past the "ripe" age of 19.)

I disagree that someone should compromise their loves and their hobbies for the sake of "fitting in". If your friend doesn't know who Johnny Depp is, so what? It's no different than not knowing who Lady Gaga or Ke$ha are (and I really only know the names, not even so much the music). It's just pointless pop culture. If it doesn't interest them, it doesn't interest them. Being able to function in the real world has nothing to do with being interested in movies or music or TV.

The difference is this: at least you watch some other TV stuff and own a few non-anime t-shirts. There is a very fine line between "love and hobby" and "obsession that runs your life and alienates others, even those who share your interests."
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

-Sidney Sheldon

#38 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

No, it really isn't. If they only want to watch anime, I don't see a problem with that. There's no rule that says everyone has to watch American movies or TV. Their interests are different from yours, nothing more, nothing less. Not knowing who Johnny Depp is will not cost them a job; not watching House isn't going to cause them to become a wastoid. If they're turning hikikomori and not paying bills or whatever, that's different, but I see absolutely no problem with not caring about American pop culture.

This post has been edited by wrexness: 02 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

#39 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:20 PM

View Postwrexness, on 02 August 2010 - 03:10 PM, said:

No, it really isn't. If they only want to watch anime, I don't see a problem with that. There's no rule that says everyone has to watch American movies or TV. Their interests are different from yours, nothing more, nothing less. Not knowing who Johnny Depp is will not cost them a job; not watching House isn't going to cause them to become a wastoid. If they're turning hikikomori and not paying bills or whatever, that's different, but I see absolutely no problem with not caring about American pop culture.

Let's keep in mind that we're all college students who are still living with our parents, and therefore don't have any bills to pay yet. As it is, when we went to ACen, we were talking about how lucky we were that someone, who had been considering not going to ACen after all, was able to make it, because it saved us about $10 per person in hotel fees. The conversation basically went like this:

My Friend: You can buy a manga with that!
Me: Or food. Food's more important.
My Friend: Not really...

-Sidney Sheldon

#40 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

View PostKaay-chan, on 02 August 2010 - 05:20 PM, said:

Let's keep in mind that we're all college students who are still living with our parents, and therefore don't have any bills to pay yet. As it is, when we went to ACen, we were talking about how lucky we were that someone, who had been considering not going to ACen after all, was able to make it, because it saved us about $10 per person in hotel fees. The conversation basically went like this:

My Friend: You can buy a manga with that!
Me: Or food. Food's more important.
My Friend: Not really...

Let's keep in mind that I too was going to college and still living with my parents when I started. I didn't move out for the first time until last year (1 year and 2 days ago to be exact), and when I started to get into manga and anime I had no job either. When I started to really get into it I was working at Sears for minimum wage pulling down around $100 a week (about 1/2 of that going to gas and food at school). None of that has anything at all to do with liking anime to the point of not caring about American pop culture though, so what's your point?

This post has been edited by wrexness: 03 August 2010 - 11:04 AM

#41 Guest_SongstressLenne_*

• Group: Guests*
  • Member No.:

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:30 AM

I am going to chime in here on my thoughts. It almost sounds like Kaay-chan's friend is borderline into the 'too much' but it honestly sounds like the person is joking around.

Think if the tables were turned and all the person watch was American pop culture television shows and such, would you call that obsessed? It's a matter of personal preference on what appeals to the person when it comes to entertainment.

Another example: Telenovelas vs English soap operas. I know several people that don't know a single English soap opera actor but know every Spanish soap opera actor. Why? Televnovelas appeal to them better [and they aren't even in Hispanic in heritage...]

#42 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:29 PM

Basically like everyone says - if it takes over your life...it's too much. I've never met someone that was that far though
A-Cen 2016: Friday Early: Hikaru Friday Late: Nightmare Moon Saturday: Wonder Woman Sunday: Hell Girl

A-cen 2015: Sailor Luna (PGSM) //// Fish Mooney //// Anthy //// Fluttershy (MLP:FIM)
A-cen 2014: Angewomon (Digimon) //// Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) //// Hikaru (Angelic Layer)
A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#43 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:24 PM

View PostSongstressLenne, on 03 August 2010 - 11:30 AM, said:

I am going to chime in here on my thoughts. It almost sounds like Kaay-chan's friend is borderline into the 'too much' but it honestly sounds like the person is joking around.

Think if the tables were turned and all the person watch was American pop culture television shows and such, would you call that obsessed? It's a matter of personal preference on what appeals to the person when it comes to entertainment.

Another example: Telenovelas vs English soap operas. I know several people that don't know a single English soap opera actor but know every Spanish soap opera actor. Why? Televnovelas appeal to them better [and they aren't even in Hispanic in heritage...]

I'm farily certain she wasn't joking. I wish she was, but the way she said it gave me the distinct impression that she was being totally serious.

And my point isn't that my other friend is so obsessed that it prevents her from being aware of American pop culture. It's that she's so into anime and stuff that she's completely unaware of the rest of the world around her. Perhaps I should clarify the whole Johnny Depp example: I got the impression that she had seen the movie multiple times. Considering the fact that, when Alice and Wonderland was being promoted, they were using Johnny Depp to promote it (it being a Tim Burton movie, and all), the fact that she didn't know who he was concerned me.

Also, I know other anime fans on our campus who tend to avoid these two girls because they like anime too much. When a person is so into anything--not just anime--that it chases other people away, despite them liking that thing too, I think that's generally a good sign that person is too obsessed.

-Sidney Sheldon

#44 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:50 PM

View PostKaay-chan, on 03 August 2010 - 04:24 PM, said:

Also, I know other anime fans on our campus who tend to avoid these two girls because they like anime too much. When a person is so into anything--not just anime--that it chases other people away, despite them liking that thing too, I think that's generally a good sign that person is too obsessed.

I agree. I had many people I knew that anime fans ignored because they liked it TOO MUCH. But Kaay-chan hit the nail on the head--if you're too obsessed it just ruins it and people get scared. Also, if people see that you are so super obsessed with something and let it run your life--like having ALL your shirts anime t-shirts (okay, I said ALL, not a few, because I of course have like 3) it portrays you as immature because you cannot control something so minimal, and are choosing to let it run your life. In the real world, you get judged poorly, and you cannot get anywhere unfortunately if you are considered immature and poorly judged. I think when people first get into something, they get REALLY obsessed. It happens to me all the time--BUT your real maturity shows after the few days of the "new thing" and shows that you don't let it run your life. This goes for everything. Working, drinking alcohol, working out, drawing, a new car, and even anime. It's all about choice.
ACen 2017 Cosplay
Major Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell SAC 2nd GIG or ARISE variant]
General Esdeath (Akame Ga Kill!)
RIP Origa <3

#45 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:22 PM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 03 August 2010 - 05:50 PM, said:

I agree. I had many people I knew that anime fans ignored because they liked it TOO MUCH. But Kaay-chan hit the nail on the head--if you're too obsessed it just ruins it and people get scared. Also, if people see that you are so super obsessed with something and let it run your life--like having ALL your shirts anime t-shirts (okay, I said ALL, not a few, because I of course have like 3) it portrays you as immature because you cannot control something so minimal, and are choosing to let it run your life. In the real world, you get judged poorly, and you cannot get anywhere unfortunately if you are considered immature and poorly judged. I think when people first get into something, they get REALLY obsessed. It happens to me all the time--BUT your real maturity shows after the few days of the "new thing" and shows that you don't let it run your life. This goes for everything. Working, drinking alcohol, working out, drawing, a new car, and even anime. It's all about choice.

I think it's one thing if, one day, you wake up and realize that, Oh! Hey! All of your shirts have something to do with anime! And completely another when you wake up and decide to make a conscious effort to replace all of your t-shirts with shirts that have something to do with anime, and share this fact with your friends. When you're so obsessed with something that you consciously let it run your life like that, that's when I think it's time to take a step back and reevaluate your priorities.

-Sidney Sheldon

#46 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:02 AM

We're going around in circles, so this is my last post on this tangent.

You guys really don't know what obsession is if you think that wanting to change a wardrobe is obsessive. When they start skipping school to watch anime, or decide to stop talking to people because they haven't seen [insert obscure anime #4], or decide that buying merchandise is more important that eating or having a roof over their heads, then we'll talk, but just wanting t-shirts is not that big a deal.

I disagree about it showing immaturity. The only way you'll be judged by your t-shirt collection in the "real world" is if that's ALL you wear; if you're wearing t-shirts to interviews at all it's kind of irrelevant what's on them anyway. Literally every shirt in my closet could probably be found in that of a kid 10 years younger than I am; all I wore in college were anime shirts, and you know effect it's had on my life? Zero. None. Nada. I've got a pretty well paying job, a house of my own, and I am not wanting for anything. Priorities are important, and there is a time and a place for everything, but your casual wear wardrobe is not going to have a significant impact on your life, and I'm saying this from experience - not from what is assumed about society and the "real world".

This post has been edited by wrexness: 04 August 2010 - 11:02 AM

#47 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:51 PM

View Postwrexness, on 04 August 2010 - 11:02 AM, said:

We're going around in circles, so this is my last post on this tangent.

You guys really don't know what obsession is if you think that wanting to change a wardrobe is obsessive. When they start skipping school to watch anime, or decide to stop talking to people because they haven't seen [insert obscure anime #4], or decide that buying merchandise is more important that eating or having a roof over their heads, then we'll talk, but just wanting t-shirts is not that big a deal.

I disagree about it showing immaturity. The only way you'll be judged by your t-shirt collection in the "real world" is if that's ALL you wear; if you're wearing t-shirts to interviews at all it's kind of irrelevant what's on them anyway. Literally every shirt in my closet could probably be found in that of a kid 10 years younger than I am; all I wore in college were anime shirts, and you know effect it's had on my life? Zero. None. Nada. I've got a pretty well paying job, a house of my own, and I am not wanting for anything. Priorities are important, and there is a time and a place for everything, but your casual wear wardrobe is not going to have a significant impact on your life, and I'm saying this from experience - not from what is assumed about society and the "real world".

Okay, first of all, you're latching onto one thing I said my friends do and focusing on just that, even thought that was just one in a list of things I said my friends do. You already said you have some shirts that aren't anime related. When I said "all of their shirts," I meant all. My one friend has some shirts that aren't anime shirts; they have wolves on them, and her favorite anime is Wolf's Rain. I assume you talk with your friends about other things besides anime at least some of the time? When your friends start talking about topics that have nothing to do with anime, I assume your eyes don't glaze over, and that you don't say you know nothing about what they're talking about as if it's something to be proud of?

Let me also point out that there's isn't just one definition of obsession. Just because you haven't gone off the deep end and live in somebody's basement, your only furniture being a tv and maybe a mattress and the rest of your living space being taken up by manga and anime dvds, with only your figures and body pillow to keep you company, doesn't mean you aren't still "too obsessed."

-Sidney Sheldon

#48 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:37 PM

I don't know if it was said..but i think obsession depends on the people looking in from the outside and sadly rarely has anything to do with the person actually obsessed.

IE - I've had people believe that I'm obsessed with anime because I go to 1 or 2 conventions a year and cosplay. But I know I'm not. It doesn't take over my life.

Granted, I do agree with what wrex said about going too far. In my opinion THAT is obsession.

Oh! and to add some fun to this, definitions of obsession:

to haunt or excessively preoccupy the mind of
to dominate or preoccupy the thoughts, feelings, or desires of (a person)
beset, trouble, or haunt persistently or abnormally:
to think about something unceasingly or persistently; dwell obsessively upon something.

A-Cen 2016: Friday Early: Hikaru Friday Late: Nightmare Moon Saturday: Wonder Woman Sunday: Hell Girl

A-cen 2015: Sailor Luna (PGSM) //// Fish Mooney //// Anthy //// Fluttershy (MLP:FIM)
A-cen 2014: Angewomon (Digimon) //// Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) //// Hikaru (Angelic Layer)
A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)

#49 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

View PostCrimsonAnime, on 04 August 2010 - 08:37 PM, said:

I don't know if it was said..but i think obsession depends on the people looking in from the outside and sadly rarely has anything to do with the person actually obsessed.

IE - I've had people believe that I'm obsessed with anime because I go to 1 or 2 conventions a year and cosplay. But I know I'm not. It doesn't take over my life.

Granted, I do agree with what wrex said about going too far. In my opinion THAT is obsession.

Oh! and to add some fun to this, definitions of obsession:

to haunt or excessively preoccupy the mind of
to dominate or preoccupy the thoughts, feelings, or desires of (a person)
beset, trouble, or haunt persistently or abnormally:
to think about something unceasingly or persistently; dwell obsessively upon something.

Thank you, you've summed out what my next post would've been (but I have thus far elected against posting because it came off sounding very a-hole-ish). Yes, what constitutes being "obsessed" is pretty subjective, but whereas Kaay is considering her friends obsessed because of her own opinions, I'm looking at it more from the perspective of the friends. From everything thus far said, the "obsession" has caused no harm, other than weirding out a few people. I fail to see why this is becoming such a big ordeal for you, Kaay. The problem in this situation really lies with you, not them.

#50 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:17 AM

View Postwrexness, on 04 August 2010 - 09:14 PM, said:

Thank you, you've summed out what my next post would've been (but I have thus far elected against posting because it came off sounding very a-hole-ish). Yes, what constitutes being "obsessed" is pretty subjective, but whereas Kaay is considering her friends obsessed because of her own opinions, I'm looking at it more from the perspective of the friends. From everything thus far said, the "obsession" has caused no harm, other than weirding out a few people. I fail to see why this is becoming such a big ordeal for you, Kaay. The problem in this situation really lies with you, not them.

Uh...you're the one being all butt-hurt because I said that one of the things my friends do is wear literally, absolutely nothing but anime t-shirts, and apparently that was an attack on you because you own mostly anime t-shirts. >.> Like I said, when you're so obsessed with anime that it chases other anime fans away from you, you're too obsessed. And these girls have done that.

Now, let me break down some of the actions of the more obsessive of my two friends (the one who is consciously replacing her wardrobe with anime paraphernalia, literally watches nothing but anime, and walked out of club because we weren't watching Baccano in Japanese because the people who had seen it liked the dub better) in terms of the definition Crimson posted:

-With the exception of talking about classes or when we're coming back to campus from a movie, I don't think I've ever had a conversation with her that didn't have something to do with anime.

-Her ringtone is something she made herself of Bakura from Yu-Gi-Oh laughing maniacally.

-During the festival that our school has every year, there were some people giving air brush tattoos. She had the kanji for "love" brushed above her left eyebrow in red; she laughed about how the guy tried to put it in the center of her forehead and she had to correct him.

-She and the other friend I've talked about can quote full episodes of YGOTAS from memory. Not particularly memorable lines; full episodes.

There's more, but I'm not about to list every little thing she does, especially when a lot of it has been mentioned earlier in this thread (like I said, she's the more "extreme" of my two friends; oddly enough, it was the other friend who hinted that she thought manga was more important than food).

As for the "obsession" causing no harm? There's a decent number of people at our school who like anime. How many of them show up for anime club? Including the president, vice president, and the girl who, this year, was acting as the secretary/treasurer and PR person, we had, maybe 7 or 8 people who showed up regularly. With the current vice president studying abroad in Japan this year, I ended up becoming the new VP (no one else wanted the job). As such, I've been trying to recruit, and get our numbers up, and a lot of the people I've talked to have said that they like anime, but don't want to come to club because they don't want to deal with the "really obsessive ones." A number of people have pointed to these to girls as examples. That doesn't just effect them. That, potentially, effects the entire club, and seeing as it's only 2 years old and still struggling to get off the ground, that, I think, is a very big deal.

Now, as to me judging things from my own opinions? I feel I can speak rather authoritatively on the subject, seeing as, once upon a time, I was the dictionary definition of what generally gets referred to as a "fanbrat." I ate, slept and breathed anime as much as humanly possible; all of my allowance money and leftover lunch money went towards buying manga from the Borders a block from my high school. I used Japanese words in everyday conversation because I knew them, and did the whole fangirl squeal thing whenever a "bishi" I liked came on the screen (and had a number of candy wrappers thrown at me in the process). I got into fights with my parents because something they wanted to do interfered with my watching anime. Looking back on how I used to be, I feel nothing but deep, deep shame and embarrassment over the whole thing. And then I look at my one friend in particular and I see my old self in her. Don't talk about me judging things by my own opinions verses the perspective of my friends. I didn't consider myself to be "overly obsessed" back then, either. An addict doesn't always acknowledge or even think that he or she is an addict. Sometimes it's only in retrospect that you realize just how bad things are.

This post has been edited by Kaay-chan: 05 August 2010 - 02:17 AM

-Sidney Sheldon

#51 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:15 AM

as far as this argument, i'm still catching up on what's happening here, exactly, but..i think the obsession isn't dangerous if the person is making a conscious effort, like intentionally replacing all their wardrobe with anime gear. it's usually when someone is totally unconscious of it taking over their life that it's a serious problem; the same with any other dangerous obsession like drugs or alcohol.

you sort of realize you're a drunk in retrospect. you don't make plans to start going out to the bar every night as part of your lifestyle. that being said, i think wrex and kaay-chan should kiss and makeup already.

no, seriously.

kaay, you're friends sound pretty, preeeeetty lame and i feel bad for you because of it, but i think they're just being really lame, cliquey, or single-minded rather than having serious problems with oBSESSION. i only say so as a person diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder. you really don't make a conscious effort to let an obsession interfere with your life when it's a serious problem. i think everyone can agree 'too obsessed' is when your obsession is a danger to you or the others around you. even if the 'danger' is just not being able to interact with other people, leave the house, or hold down a job.

wrex, it totally doesn't matter what you do or how you lead your life or whatever, as long as you have perspective, yeah. if you aren't watching anime to the point that you feel the only job you can hold down is reviewing anime or something, it's fine. passion is rarely a bad thing..i've walked out of a room because it was my favorite show and the dub was horrid but everyone besides me wanted to watch it. not everyone agrees on what a 'good' dub is, especially when you're surrounded by people who don't particularly care for the series in the first place, or care about faithfulness to the original work.

also, pirates! arrghhhhh :pirate2: :pirate2: :pirate2:

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 05 August 2010 - 04:29 AM

#52 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:35 AM

@Kaaay
And yet not one of the traits you're attributing to your friends is harmful. They may be goofy or lame or annoying, but you're confusing embarrassing things with dangerous things. I guarantee you that everyone on this planet has had a phase where they've been "obsessed" with something that they were later embarrassed about, whether it be anime or My Little Pony or comic books or video games. No one is going to be completely proud of everything they've done or all the phases they've gone through, but that doesn't mean a person should avoid them because they might be embarrassed about it some time several years from now, because they will just miss out on a lot of fun times while they try to keep from doing something silly.

The only one who apparently considers your friends to be actually obsessed is you, and until you can show an actual HARM being caused then you're not going change many minds. You're just judging others because they don't fit your preconceived notion of a "normal" anime fan, and whether you consider yourself an expert or not (hint: you're not), you're just being a self-righteous a-hole. No matter how you try to dress it up as "caring" about or "warning" your friends, you are judging them. Get over yourself, just because you have a negative opinion of your former self doesn't mean they will end up the same. And even if they do, part of growing up is making your own mistakes and learning from them. You can't live someone else's life for them, so stop trying.

And so as to avoid any need for mod intervention, that'll be my absolute last word on the subject. You're free to say whatever you want in response.

#53 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

You know what? Forget it. The original topic was "can you like anime too much" not "is it possible to be too obsessed with anime." I stand my definition of liking anime too much: When you're so into anime (or anything, for that matter) that you chase other very dedicated fans away, maybe you need to take a step back and tone it down a bit. It's one thing if you're just getting into it, like GITS said. But when it's going on for years, and years, and you're closing yourself off from everything else, and chasing other fans away, that's still going too far. Yes, you can take it even further, if it's running your life to any extent for an extended period of time, it's still too much. Talk to me when you've lived in a state where your thoughts are consumed by something to an extent that can only be described as "feverish," and it's running your life. I was there. I know what it's like. So far, I haven't seen you give any evidence that you are any more or less of an "expert" than I am which leads me to believe that you're not either.

You might want to refrain from calling other people a "self righteous a-hole" when, if you read everything you've typed, you don't come across as being any better.

Now, I think it's probably best if we just drop the matter, seeing as, as interesting of a topic as this may be, when we talk about it on a forum that's for anime fans, we're bound to step on some toes.

-Sidney Sheldon

#54 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:54 PM

So then...I guess the answer - despite what the debate became - is that YES, it is possible to like anime too much. >.<

#55 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:20 PM

http://www.acen.org/...issing-gundams/
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#56 User is offline   Ultra Yak 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 47823

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:11 AM

If you ask me, liking anime is fine.
But when you start talking down to others because they dont like Naruto or Bleach, THEN you've crossed the border.
I can't tell how many times people have told me this or that anime is something I should devote what is most likely going to be 4+ months to and provide the sole reason of "Well, it's good...you should go see it cause it's good and has a good story, and good fight scenes..."
Last time I checked story is good, but "good fight scenes" don't completely make an anime, what does that say for the Harem, Reverse Harem, Yaoi, Slice of Life, and so on anime?
I used to love fight scenes, I was one of the DBZ kids from when it was first airing on the Cartoon Network...but Naruto, Bleach and Fullmetal Alchemist fanboys have ruined action anime forever for me...mostly because even when I DO see anime for the action, they would point out how their favorite anime is better, much worse WHILE I'M STILL WATCHIN MINE! This was especially an issue when i tried to watch The Tower of Druaga -The Aegis of URUK- at my college anime club, where i had a Fullmetal fanboy tell me how much more of a badass he thought Edward was over JIL. I almost feel ashamed to say i'm into anime because of these people.

NOWADAYS though, i watch anime for the comedic value...those spinoff-like episodes they call filler are what i call perfection! No major anime is complete without a Beach Party filler episode and you know it, and some anime (especially the Yaoi), i just cannot take seriously...the events in said anime are just too unlikely to happen.
ACEN2012, "Ultra Yak!! in GetBack Feeling!"
His little boat coasted into the dock of the city named ACEN. It's shimmering lights made him blind to the chaos that would ensue within.
Soon he would learn that he would get back more than just the feelings lost in the year 2010.
Waiting in the one place he wouldn't look, until...

#57 User is offline   Snow_Storm 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 58697

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:01 PM

Remixing and covering anime songs...oh wait.

I think when it comes to the point it basically becomes a god to you and your life, that is when you have a problem. I mean, it's cool to like it and all but don't think it's the best damn thing ever to the point it becomes your life.
ACen 2014 Cosplay List (Final)

Goat-Kun (Umineko no Naku Koro Ni) - Friday
Garterbelt (Panty and Stocking) - Saturday
Coach (Left 4 Dead 2) - Thursay (maybe), Saturday

#58 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:58 PM

View PostUltra Yak, on 19 September 2010 - 03:11 AM, said:

NOWADAYS though, i watch anime for the comedic value...those spinoff-like episodes they call filler are what i call perfection! No major anime is complete without a Beach Party filler episode and you know it, and some anime (especially the Yaoi), i just cannot take seriously...the events in said anime are just too unlikely to happen.

Yeah...Junjou Romantica just cannot be watched with a serious mind set....if any of those characters knew the meaning of the word "communication," there would be no series. Then again, I guess that could be said of any sort of romance series....Junjou Romantica is just sort of the first thing that comes to mind. Xp *will do her impersonations of the characters upon request*

-Sidney Sheldon

#59 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Validating
  • Member No.: 18421

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:54 PM

To each their own but when people recite lines from an anime in person around me, I personally won't find you interesting anymore. Acting it out is worse. Kind of hypocritcal because anime is what it is whereas it could be compared to one who watches movies or a show consecutively, but I don't go around reciting lines from either. You might as well love the anime Genshiken, and nothing is wrong with that. It's something I enjoy more than just a hobby and it's not a phase in my life but I don't let it run it.

Oh snap. Disliked.
Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen
Fullmetal Alchemist - Greedling

#60 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7072
  • Location:Mississippi then New Jersey. Might make ACen 2018 :D

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:18 AM

No, you can never like it too much.

Currently I am converting my room to be a shrine to Rei Ayanami, posters of her (wall to wall) ceiling covered with art of her, my bedsheets of her (along with 2 body pillows of her) and everything else short of the kitchen sink. It's my choice how I spend my money.
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users