• This topic is locked

Western Comic Discussions For comics from N/A, S/A and the EU

#1 User is offline   jsieczkar 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 17116

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:55 PM

I know that others on the boards must have weekly pull lists at the local comic shops. So what is everyone reading? What events are you looking forward to? What comics have been canceled that you liked.

As for me well I own a comic store so I get to look over just about every title but I am closely fallowing Uncanny X-Men, X-Men Legacy, New Mutants, X-Factor, the ending X-Force, Captain America, Iron Man, Avengers, New Avengers, Secret Avengers, Irredeemable, Incorruptible as well as a handful of limited series.
2008-2009 IRT - Callsign JR
2010 IRT Dispatch - Callsign JR
2011-Present Industry Relations Manager

#2 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:07 PM

OH HELL.
<3 x infinity!

I started "New Mutants" and I just finished "Astonishing X-Men", "Deapool: Suicide Kings", and "Civil War" which I've been meaning to read for forever.

Every so often I take out my copy of "Harley Quinn", and re-read it. It's the first time I've ever seen her be independent. <3 I also read "The Killing Joke" a couple weeks back and it was pretty good. I read "HUSH" a while back and enjoyed it as well.

Anybody who hasn't been bombarded by Keiichi and I yet should definitely read the "Scott Pilgrim" series.
And I'd highly reccomend 'Goodbye Chunky Rice" by Craig Thompson and "Jimmy Corrigan Smartest Kid on Earth" by Chris Ware.

And "Black Hole" by Charles Burns.
And "Fun Home" by Alison Bechdel.
And the "Persepolis" series (ending with "Embroderies").

I also recently read "Mister Wonderful" by Daniel Clowes and enjoyed it immensely, but I'll leave the Dan Clowes recommendations and fan-boying to Keiichi-chan when he finds his way in here.

#3 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:13 PM

Oh and I also recently started 'Annihilation' but so far I'm not really enjoying it.

#4 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 11087

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

Unfortunately, I have almost completely cut my addiction to American comics (at least the Superhero genre).
I'm trying to do the same with manga but that too is hard to do.

I will, however, read the last book of Scott Pilgrim and maybe read "One Moment In Time" storyline of Spider-Man.

Does anybody know if Archie finally chose between Betty or Veronica? (Like that'll ever happen) I remember the buzz about Archie supposing to marry Veronica a couple of months back.

Did I mention I like lasers? PEW PEW PEW!!!!
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

#5 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:57 PM

View PostPrayer Police, on 25 June 2010 - 06:06 PM, said:

Unfortunately, I have almost completely cut my addiction to American comics

Why? D":
Dumb idea is dumb.

#6 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:30 PM

Unfortunately, I have almost completely cut my addiction to American comics (at least the Superhero genre).
I'm trying to do the same with manga but that too is hard to do.

I will, however, read the last book of Scott Pilgrim and maybe read "One Moment In Time" storyline of Spider-Man.

Does anybody know if Archie finally chose between Betty or Veronica? (Like that'll ever happen) I remember the buzz about Archie supposing to marry Veronica a couple of months back.

Did I mention I like lasers? PEW PEW PEW!!!!

He sorta did? I posted a topic about it back in September-ish? Maybe earlier? The topic must have gotten lost during the forum upgrade, like a lot of things. I'm still waiting for post counts to be fixed. <_<

Anyways, at first, I thought it was true that he actually picked Veronica because that is how it was advertised. It's a 6 part story arc. Issue one is the proposal to Veronica, issue two is their wedding and issue three is about their future life together raising twins. Issue 4 is the proposal to Betty, issue 5 is their wedding and issue 6 is about their future life together, also raising twins.

So, he didn't really choose someone permanently. I was so excited too when I saw that he had finally chosen and then to learn that it was a dream, it crushed me. D;

This post has been edited by Lina: 25 June 2010 - 07:30 PM

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#7 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 31104

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:34 PM

Right now I only read Scott Pilgrim, Deadpool, and The Walking Dead. But I used to read Sonic the Hedgehog, Knuckles the Echidna, Spiderman, X-men, and a few other misc series. I'm not into western comics as much as I used to be because it is really hard to start a series from the beginning, and a few of the ____man series just all seem the same to me now.
"At the start Henry either dies or has sex, leaving not-Sarah to fall in love with or not in love with a shark, a squid, a pebble, a policeman or none or all of the above."
~*~ Behold my Manga, Cosplay, Artwork and Facebook ! ~*~
Look for me as time skip Sanji from One Piece at ACen 2012!

#8 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:35 PM

I read the Archie Sonic comics and all the side stories and I usually read Archie also.

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#9 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:39 PM

View PostLina, on 25 June 2010 - 07:35 PM, said:

I read the Archie Sonic comics and all the side stories and I usually read Archie also.

I have all but probably 10ish comics from issue 0 to the issue where Sonic travels through time or something with Chaos Emeralds which they used as a device to change his appearance to that of is image in the Sonic Adventure games. After that it just became very hard to find new issues and I was beginning to loose interest.
"At the start Henry either dies or has sex, leaving not-Sarah to fall in love with or not in love with a shark, a squid, a pebble, a policeman or none or all of the above."

#10 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:49 PM

I'm so jealous! I want those! D;

#11 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:54 PM

View PostLina, on 25 June 2010 - 07:49 PM, said:

I'm so jealous! I want those! D;

I'm only missing the ones that I am because they didn't sell them on back order. Also, I have all the special issues up to the point where I just quit reading. Though my Sonic 3D Blast issue is in pretty bad shape, everything else is near mint or mint.

Ah I remember the days when I was obsessed with Sonic. Good times.

This post has been edited by Foolish Humon: 25 June 2010 - 07:54 PM

#12 User is offline   jsieczkar 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:58 PM

View PostFoolish Humon, on 25 June 2010 - 07:34 PM, said:

Right now I only read Scott Pilgrim, Deadpool, and The Walking Dead. But I used to read Sonic the Hedgehog, Knuckles the Echidna, Spiderman, X-men, and a few other misc series. I'm not into western comics as much as I used to be because it is really hard to start a series from the beginning, and a few of the ____man series just all seem the same to me now.

The Walking Dead is a good series. 2009 was a fairly good year for releases you had Irredeemable, by Mark Waid and Peter Krause, The Unwritten by Mike Carey and Peter Gross, Incognito by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips, Wolverine #66-72 and Wolverine Giant-Size Special: "Old Man Logan" by Mark Millar Steve McNiven and Dexter Vines (Marvel), and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Phillip K. Dick, art by Tony Parker (BOOM!). Marvel wrapped starts to wrap up the nearly decade long Marvel universe arc that started with Civil War. Grant Morrison and Paul Dini have given DC a set of titles that actually can regally beat Marvel in sales. Ed Brubaker's run on Captain America has been very successful in turning Captain America back into one of Marvels major characters.

Next month has some good issues coming out
DC: Batman #701, Batman Odyssey #1 (OF 6), Wonder Woman #601
Marvel: Sky Doll Lacrima Christi #1 (OF 2), Steve Rogers Super-Soldier #1 (life after Captain America), All of the X-books
Avatar Press: Captain Swing #4 (OF 4)
Boom Studios: Calling Cthulhu Chronicles #1
TOokyopop: Priest Purgatory #1 (OF 4)

#13 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:45 PM

Anybody else here like 'Eternals' by Neil Gaiman

#14 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:17 PM

i used to love the archie edition sonic comics as a kid! i totally forgot how i collected a sizable chunk of the entire series as a kid - as well as spider-man, zen: the intergalactic ninja, and BONE.

1.)i dislike superhero comis, too, man.
so sick of the same story over and over again with different variations and how polarizing they can be to newcomers who don't know the entire mythos. however, in recent years, i reeeeeally dug The Escapists, which is set in the universe of a pulitzer prize-winning novel about comics and centers around a group of comic fans writing, drawing, lettering, and publishing their own superhero comic. really nice art - presented in two completely different styles- and a good blend of slice of life adventure that mixes in the superhero adventures they're writing about. it's amazing and only six issues, but AMAZING! ultimate spider-man seems really good, too.

i also really like sam kieth's stuff - zero girl, the maxx - if you consider that superhero stuff.
so, like everything else, there's plenty of enjoyable superhero stuff behind the mainstream comics, which i normally don't enjoy.

2. archie married the brunette, i believe. yeah..veronica. i remember people saying it was a victory over the barbie doll blonde ideal of beauty. but it seems like a total loss for feminism if you ask me.

as for comics, i tend to read manga and western indie comics, mostly.
dan clowes - ghostworld, david boring, eightball - is pretty much my hero in life:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6neK24hi6w&feature=related[/media]

and obviously, i'm reading the comic everyone in america is, apparently, now since the trailer was released:
http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/
i was reading it back when it was still hip and indie, but, y'know..not gonna brag or anything.

lol..DOMINANCE!! sp has been in the top five spots on the manga AND the comics side of the NY time's list. so yeah, i guess i do read a ton of comics, but mostly not superhero ones?

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 25 June 2010 - 10:18 PM

#15 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:59 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on 25 June 2010 - 10:17 PM, said:

1.)i dislike superhero comis, too, man.
so sick of the same story over and over again with different variations and how polarizing they can be to newcomers who don't know the entire mythos.

Yeah because you've totally picked up any since 1995.

-_-

The stories are as varied as manga. Stop being such an indie comic snob. You might enjoy things more.

#16 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:59 PM

View PostKii, on 25 June 2010 - 10:59 PM, said:

Yeah because you've totally picked up any since 1995.

-_-

The stories are as varied as manga. Stop being such an indie comic snob. You might enjoy things more.

i read ultimate spider-man right in front of you! i read and own jeff smith's horrible run on shazam!, too.

also, forgot to mention that i also read (and enjoy) the walking dead series.

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 26 June 2010 - 12:12 AM

#17 User is offline   DracosisBlu 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 8373

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:19 AM

The only American comic that I'm actively reading (i.e., that's ongoing and not a completed series) is Hack/Slash (which you should all read (but I know the creator personally so my suggestion is extremely biased)).
:thumbup:

I've never read the traditional superhero comic, I've only watched their related cartoons.

I do, however, enjoy Johnny the Homicidal Maniac by Jhonen Vasquez.

I have a fair amount of comics about due to a internship stint at a comic book publisher and have read a few one-shots and omnibus because of it. However, other than H/S, I haven't continued reading most of them.
"Let's eat, grandma." or "Let's eat grandma."
Remember, commas save lives.

#18 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:21 AM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on 25 June 2010 - 11:59 PM, said:

i read ultimate spider-man right in front of you! i read and own jeff smith's horrible run on shazam!, too.

also, forgot to mention that i also read (and enjoy) the walking dead series.

Spider-man blows.

#19 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:22 AM

View PostDracosisBlu, on 26 June 2010 - 12:19 AM, said:

The only American comic that I'm actively reading (i.e., that's ongoing and not a completed series) is Hack/Slash (which you should all read (but I know the creator personally so my suggestion is extremely biased)).
:thumbup:

I've never read the traditional superhero comic, I've only watched their related cartoons.

I do, however, enjoy Johnny the Homicidal Maniac by Jhonen Vasquez.

I have a fair amount of comics about due to a internship stint at a comic book publisher and have read a few one-shots and omnibus because of it. However, other than H/S, I haven't continued reading most of them.

this is going to be an thread of me being especially nerdy and obnoxious, but...i, too, read hack/slash and JTHM. see, jessica? SEE how many non-manga things i have read? i honestly think i've read more than you. i've just read everything AROUND traditional superhero comics.

i've read a few volumes of sandman, recently read watchmen, and the killing joke, too. i just now realized how many comic comics i've read recently..

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 26 June 2010 - 12:23 AM

#20 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:49 AM

Don't feel too bad, Keiichi; I'm an indie snob too. The reason why I moved away from Marvel and DC wasn't because I was tired of the superhero genre--I was tired of the formulaic way they approached it. I got tired of the "we gotta do something huge!" annual mentality, especially when "something huge" was killing an established superhero. The "death" of Captain America ended Marvel for me. Everyone knew it was just a sales gimmick. I also didn't particularly like Marvel's editors shoving their political beliefs down my throat.

DC isn't much better, though I loved the Batman Hush series back when that was running. I finally broke down and bought the graphic novel a few months ago. Other than that, DC holds no interest for me.

The titles I collect are Gold Digger, Knights of the Dinner Table, and Battlefields, along with Empowered when that comes out. Gold Digger is by far my favorite; it's done in a quasi-manga style and has a definite anime flavor to it. It has some damn fine plot and characterization.

KODT is all about roleplaying gaming, which I love. It's strictly done for laughs, though the characters have gotten more and more complex over the 20 years it's been in production.

Battlefields is all WWII action, and I like it because the author (who I believe is Warren Ellis) does such a superb job. The artwork ranges from superb to meh, but the storytelling is awesome.

Empowered is great for anyone who is tired of the superhero genre, because Adam Warren skewers it so masterfully. He usually only does the series as an annual graphic novel, which means you have to wait a year to find out what happens, but again, it's hilarious--though in the last volume it got deadly serious. But hey, anything that can fit yaoi jokes into a superhero story is made of win.

Lately, I've been going back and collecting Warrior Nun Areala (which is somewhat like Chrono Crusade). I also admit I have a weak spot for the old 1980s GI Joe comics (which were surprisingly deep and well done) and Alpha Flight (because I like the character of Snowbird for some odd reason).

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"I'm just a geek"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#21 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:28 AM

View PostKii, on 26 June 2010 - 12:21 AM, said:

Spider-man blows.

everything else away. you forgot to write 'everything else away' at the end of that sentence..

#22 User is offline   jsieczkar 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:28 AM

View Postsentinel28a, on 26 June 2010 - 01:49 AM, said:

Battlefields is all WWII action, and I like it because the author (who I believe is Warren Ellis) does such a superb job. The artwork ranges from superb to meh, but the storytelling is awesome.

Battlefields was written by Garth Ennis and had three different pencilers hence the art being all over the place. His work on Hellblazer, Preacher and Punisher were also very strong.

View PostKeiichi-chan, on 26 June 2010 - 02:28 AM, said:

everything else away. you forgot to write 'everything else away' at the end of that sentence..

I have always liked Spider-Man but with the book being released three times a month I really don't fallow it. I only really know about what is going on with him based on what happens in Avengers. The only seemingly big news is that Web head is getting an new love interest soon or at least some time this year.

#23 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:10 PM

Oh, okay--it was Garth Ennis. That's right; I remember being surprised that this guy can write so well, because I hated Preacher and his other works (he did a guest turn on Gen13 when I collected that, and it was not only disgusting but stupid). That sort of "I'm gonna make you puke" writing lends itself to a gritty war comic, though.

If Marvel really wants to shake up Spiderman, two things need to happen (and may have, for all I know, since I don't follow, not lay fallow, the comic much):

1) Aunt May needs to pass on, and stay dead
2) MJ needs to die, and stay dead.

Don't get me wrong, I like both characters. But if they really want to reduce Spidey to the basics, that's how you do it. Don't bring them back, don't clone them, don't use their deaths as sales gimmicks. Hell, if it was me, I wouldn't even announce it in Previews. One of the most iconic things to ever happen in modern comics was the Joker crippling Barbara Gordon, and absolutely no one outside of DC knew it was going to happen. It literally came out of nowhere, and DC has kept it in continuity.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"I kin rite comix"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#24 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:16 PM

1) Aunt May needs to pass on, and stay dead
2) MJ needs to die, and stay dead.

actually, i believe both those things did happen a while back.

regardless, spider-man ultimate rebooted the series and did it well, while changing
everything. bendis is pretty amazing on it. i think a lot of people here complaining just haven't checked that one out and art thinking of '90s spectacular spider-man spider-man with kain, the scarlet spider, and the clone wars crap that killed the series for most fans - including me.

such a chauvinistic approach to comic improvement, though, ben. lol!
'y'know...y'know those WOMEN in spider-man comics? y'know what would make
the comics better?...IF THEY WERE DEAD!!"

fyi, i HAAATE MJ, and i can't ever place exactly why. i just really always have disliked her character and no spider-man comic has ever seemed to change my mind. i was so relieved when her marriage with spidey fell apart.

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 26 June 2010 - 02:25 PM

#25 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:05 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on 26 June 2010 - 12:22 AM, said:

this is going to be an thread of me being especially nerdy and obnoxious, but...i, too, read hack/slash and JTHM. see, jessica? SEE how many non-manga things i have read? i honestly think i've read more than you. i've just read everything AROUND traditional superhero comics.

i've read a few volumes of sandman, recently read watchmen, and the killing joke, too. i just now realized how many comic comics i've read recently..

What angsty teenager HASN'T read JTHM?

You had never even heard of Chris Ware before last week.

#26 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:07 PM

View PostKii, on 26 June 2010 - 03:05 PM, said:

What angsty teenager HASN'T read JTHM?

You had never even heard of Chris Ware before last week.

you'd never heard of sam kieth, dude! SAM. KIETH.
sam kieth had a freaking hugely successful tv show based on his comic.
i think we are even.

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 26 June 2010 - 03:08 PM

#27 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:10 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on 26 June 2010 - 03:07 PM, said:

you'd never heard of sam kieth, dude! SAM. KIETH.
i think we are even.

Sam Keith wrote "Zero Girl"...a comic that nobody sells and that you have to buy off of the internet.
Chris Ware is way bigger than Sam Keith.
You can find at least one of his graphic novels at any self-respecting comic shop.

Plus, Chris Ware lives in your city.

So.

EDIT: "The Maxx" was successful in the 90's. It's a good show, but that was then and Chris Ware is NOW, bro.

This post has been edited by Kii: 26 June 2010 - 03:12 PM

#28 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:13 PM

View PostKii, on 26 June 2010 - 03:10 PM, said:

Sam Keith wrote "Zero Girl"...a comic that nobody sells and that you have to buy off of the internet.
Chris Ware is way bigger than Sam Keith.
You can find at least one of his graphic novels at any self-respecting comic shop.

Plus, Chris Ware lives in your city.

So.

EDIT: "The Maxx" was successful in the 90's. It's a good show, but that was then and Chris Ware is NOW, bro.

i guess there aren't a ton of self-respecting comic shops in chicago, the city the author LIVES IN.

*fights you*

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 26 June 2010 - 03:13 PM

#29 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:16 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on 26 June 2010 - 03:13 PM, said:

i guess there aren't a ton of self-respecting comic shops in chicago, the city the author LIVES IN.

*fights you*

I've picked out "Jimmy Corrigan Smartest Kid on Earth" for you on several occasions in several different places IN CHICAGO.
-FISTICUFFS-

This post has been edited by Kii: 26 June 2010 - 03:17 PM

#30 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:19 PM

View Postsentinel28a, on 26 June 2010 - 02:10 PM, said:

One of the most iconic things to ever happen in modern comics was the Joker crippling Barbara Gordon, and absolutely no one outside of DC knew it was going to happen. It literally came out of nowhere, and DC has kept it in continuity.

And even stayed that way in Batman: Arkhan Asylum. I was all like "What the Heck happened?" when I saw on her bio that she was now paralized. Totally out of left field for me.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users