• This topic is locked

Sitcoms?

#1 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:12 AM

So, which is your favorite right now, or of all time?
The Office, Family Guy, Seinfeld, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia?
Or the oldies like Futurama, The Simpsons...Charles in Charge?

or...do you avoid them at all cost?
do you like the ones about friends or the ones about families more?
animated or real? sitcoms! sitcoms! this is a thread...about sitcoms!
=D

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 16 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

#2 Guest_SongstressLenne_*

• Group: Guests*
  • Member No.:

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:20 AM

Currently: Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, Royal Pains and Drop Dead Diva

I admit I own all ten season of Friends on dvd and won in several Friends trivia contests:)

#3 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:36 AM

From the past I have to say All In The Family holds a top spot, if not THE top. Other close contenders are Home Movies and Futurama. I loved me some Archie Bunker, you meatheads.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#4 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7901

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:36 PM

View PostKirbyFanOne, on 16 June 2010 - 11:36 AM, said:

From the past I have to say All In The Family holds a top spot, if not THE top. Other close contenders are Home Movies and Futurama. I loved me some Archie Bunker, you meatheads.

Mmmm, Home Movies~ I've got the series collection of that, good choice indeed. Nice that it was saved from a very premature death by [as]. They seem to do that a lot, because you can't deny that they had a huge factor (if not being the primary driving force) in getting both Futurama and Family Guy being brought back from cancellation.

About a decade ago I probably would've told you my favorite would be The Simpsons, but it has really faded since then. Right now my favorite, currently and all-time, would have to be South Park.
2012 Cosplay Plans - Fujiwara no Mokou (Touhou)
Visit my MAL and let me know you're from the forums~

#5 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 31104

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:13 PM

Okay, I'm not really sure if all of these are considered sitcoms, but here is a list of some of my favorites...

Futurama, The Simpsons, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, How I Met Your Mother, That 70s Show, and South Park.

Usually when I think "sitcom" I think "laugh track", which I am usually not a fan of, even though That 70s Show and How I Met Your Mother do have a laugh track.
"At the start Henry either dies or has sex, leaving not-Sarah to fall in love with or not in love with a shark, a squid, a pebble, a policeman or none or all of the above."
~*~ Behold my Manga, Cosplay, Artwork and Facebook ! ~*~
Look for me as time skip Sanji from One Piece at ACen 2012!

#6 User is offline   Matt 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 1225

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:21 PM

Currently, The Office is the only adult sitcom that I watch regularly. Historically, my favorites include Alf, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Cheers, Seinfeld, The Cosby Show and Perfect Strangers. I have never been a huge fan of the classics from the 1950s and 1960s, although I did like Green Acresand The Dick Van Dyke Show.
:heart: <span style='color:Magenta'>Proud Secretary of the Plushy Guardian Alliance</span> :heart:

:heart: <span style='color:Blue'>Soldier in The Glomp Team </span> :heart:

<span style='color:DarkSlateBlue'>Member of the Anime Central Association for the Advancement of Bunnykind</span>

#7 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:31 PM

They seem to do that a lot, because you can't deny that they had a huge factor (if not being the primary driving force) in getting both Futurama and Family Guy being brought back from cancellation.

a lot of people think that's the case, but in reality, those shows got put on AS BECAUSE their dvd sales were so ridiculously high. family guy was the best-selling dvd in america pretty much as soon as it was released.

that's probably why futurama tried the direct to dvd route before going back to television, too.

#8 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 20031

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:59 PM

I still watch the Simpsons and Seinfeld. I can't really get into newer sitcoms. The office had its appeal for a while, but then it just kind of got repetitive to me.

Never have been a big fan of Family Guy. It has its funny moments, but sometimes it just annoys me.
~~

#9 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:09 PM

Sitcoms for me represents a good reason never to buy a TV.

I wouldn't call Family Guy a sitcom. "Horrible abomination against all existence" is probably too long, though.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"HAAAE?"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#10 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:30 PM

View Postsentinel28a, on 16 June 2010 - 08:09 PM, said:

Sitcoms for me represents a good reason never to buy a TV.

I wouldn't call Family Guy a sitcom. "Horrible abomination against all existence" is probably too long, though.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"HAAAE?"

Family Guy lost its funny when Dan Povenmire got smart and left the show to make his own series. You might know it as "Phineas and Ferb" on the Disney Channel. Me and other humor researchers agree this is where the genuine funny on Family Guy went.

While Family Guy tried to rope me in with this gem, I lost all respect for Seth after watching this, ON MEMORIAL DAY. I'm sorry, I found nothing funny about that, or the Hitler/September 11 quota they painstakingly try to fulfill.

#11 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:45 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on 16 June 2010 - 03:31 PM, said:

a lot of people think that's the case, but in reality, those shows got put on AS BECAUSE their dvd sales were so ridiculously high. family guy was the best-selling dvd in america pretty much as soon as it was released.

that's probably why futurama tried the direct to dvd route before going back to television, too.

Not true. Family Guy came to [as] on April 20th, 2003, while the volume 1 DVD was released all of five days earlier on April 15th, 2003. Something tells me that Cartoon Network execs would not have let themselves be swayed by 5 days of DVD sales (nor would they likely have been able to work out a contract that quickly). ;)

I will grant that DVD sales were huge and that was a big boon as well, but the combination of airing reruns and being able to by the DVDs is what synergized and grew the fanbase and forced Fox to bring it back. By airing the episodes on [as], they were able to bring in new fans who never saw the show as well as old ones who probably had forgotten the show existed because of the cluster-eff of scheduling that Fox initially put it through. (Note that since [as] proved that airing it on a consistent schedule will bring ratings, Fox has left it in one timeslot.) I know I was in the category, because I had completely forgotten about the show until [as] announced it was going to start airing Family Guy on a bump one night.

#12 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:39 PM

Family Guy should have stayed canceled, before it was canceled it was good, not great. Since it's return it has been just horrible. I am a bit scared for Futurama which is making its return next week (I was going to make a thread about this), I mean it is done by Matt Groening who is a comedy god, and I did really like Bender's Big Score, The Beast With a Billion Backs, and Bender's Game, but I didn't like Into the Wild Green Yonder.

Also I am looking forward to Louis, mainly because it stars Louis C.K. one of my favorite stand-up comedians.

One more series to add to my list: Strangers With Candy. ^_^

This post has been edited by Foolish Humon: 16 June 2010 - 09:43 PM

"At the start Henry either dies or has sex, leaving not-Sarah to fall in love with or not in love with a shark, a squid, a pebble, a policeman or none or all of the above."

#13 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:45 PM

View PostFoolish Humon, on 16 June 2010 - 09:39 PM, said:

Family Guy should have stayed canceled, before it was canceled it was good, not great. Since it's return it has been just horrible. I am a bit scared for Futurama which is making its return next week (I was going to make a thread about this), I mean it is done by Matt Groening who is a comedy god, and I did really like Bender's Big Score, The Beast With a Billion Backs, and Bender's Game, but I didn't like Into the Wild Green Yonder.

Also I am looking forward to Louis, mainly because it stars Louis C.K. one of my favorite stand-up comedians.

Family Guy has definitely gone downhill. I think for the first season, maybe two after the return it's fine, but since then they've been relying waaaay too much on the cut-away gags. Early on they still had them, but they weren't nearly as prevalent, there was a still a story emphasis. Now it's just all gags.

As for Futurama, I think as long as David X. and Ken Keeler stay involved, it should be fine. The issue with the Simpsons is that at this point it's really being written by people who grew up watching it and seem to want to A) make an homage more than a legitimately good and memorable show or B ) just want to push the envelope. It really should be ended. Bring back the early-days writers (first 8-ish seasons) and come up with a big send-off, then let it go. It's well past its expiration date and should be put away gracefully before it has to be put down by force.

#14 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:51 PM

View PostFoolish Humon, on 16 June 2010 - 09:39 PM, said:

Family Guy should have stayed canceled, before it was canceled it was good, not great.

Family Guy flipped a script halfway through season 5 at the latest. Anything up to it was at least watchable and had some signs of a plot. But they took the focus off of some main characters and gave them new personalities, turing Chris into someone who uses logic, Meg into a whiny, "What joke are they going to make?" plot device, Brian is Seth's anti-authority voice, and Stewie is his gay side. Peter plays the part of the sterotypical dumb as rocks husband who gets into completely unrealistic dangers (Like Homer Simpson? Why not), and Lois has to put up with it.

It's not really clever, funny, or witty anymore, but seeing as it makes money, Fox wont pull the plug, despite the fact Seth Macfarlane now owns 3/4th the Animation Domination block, for better or worse.

#15 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:00 PM

Family Guy is sort of a rip-off of The Simpsons, which always really bugged me, maybe that's why he gave them all new personalities. American Dad and The Cleavland Show are just.... ugh....

I'll be upset if he makes another spin-off.

#16 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:07 PM

View PostFoolish Humon, on 16 June 2010 - 10:00 PM, said:

Family Guy is sort of a rip-off of The Simpsons, which always really bugged me, maybe that's why he gave them all new personalities. American Dad and The Cleavland Show are just.... ugh....

I'll be upset if he makes another spin-off.

Simpsons was a rip-off of the Flintstones, which in turn was a rip-off of the Honeymooners. This point was made in the Simpsons itself. Hollywood has no new ideas, this is nothing new.

#17 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:07 PM

I'll give him a pass on American Dad, despite the fact Stan being a blue blooded American gives him carte blanche to make 9/11 jokes and the glaring similarities between some characters.

Stan = Peter
Lois = Francine
Meg = Haley
Steve = Chris (Even if his friend suits the bill better)
Rodger = 1/2 Stewie (Blatant homosexuality) and 1/2 Brian (Alcoholic)
Claus = Not really sure...

And the Cleveland Show I avoid. I heard through the grapevine though that Alex Borstein is trying to get her own animated sitcom though...

#18 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:13 PM

Haha I've seen The Simpsons enough times to know how they make fun of themselves for being like The Flintstones. Though there is no exact same character copy and paste as compared to Family Guy.

Alex Borstein is awesome.

This post has been edited by Foolish Humon: 16 June 2010 - 10:13 PM

#19 User is offline   Animexcel 

• Production Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 80

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:55 PM

View PostMatt, on 16 June 2010 - 01:21 PM, said:

Currently, The Office is the only adult sitcom that I watch regularly. Historically, my favorites include Alf, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Cheers, Seinfeld, The Cosby Show and Perfect Strangers.

I recently got the first two seasons of Perfect Strangers on DVD. *Does the Dance of Joy*
ACen Mascot Artist

#20 User is offline   Matt 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 1225

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:14 AM

View PostAnimexcel, on 16 June 2010 - 11:55 PM, said:

I recently got the first two seasons of Perfect Strangers on DVD. *Does the Dance of Joy*

Cool! As a bonus, it's set in Chicago. I watched "Perfect Strangers" long before I moved to the Chicago area (and started working there), but now I'll probably get the Chicago references.
:heart: <span style='color:Magenta'>Proud Secretary of the Plushy Guardian Alliance</span> :heart:

:heart: <span style='color:Blue'>Soldier in The Glomp Team </span> :heart:

<span style='color:DarkSlateBlue'>Member of the Anime Central Association for the Advancement of Bunnykind</span>

#21 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:10 AM

View Postwrexness, on 16 June 2010 - 08:45 PM, said:

Not true. Family Guy came to [as] on April 20th, 2003, while the volume 1 DVD was released all of five days earlier on April 15th, 2003. Something tells me that Cartoon Network execs would not have let themselves be swayed by 5 days of DVD sales (nor would they likely have been able to work out a contract that quickly). ;)

I will grant that DVD sales were huge and that was a big boon as well, but the combination of airing reruns and being able to by the DVDs is what synergized and grew the fanbase and forced Fox to bring it back. By airing the episodes on [as], they were able to bring in new fans who never saw the show as well as old ones who probably had forgotten the show existed because of the cluster-eff of scheduling that Fox initially put it through. (Note that since [as] proved that airing it on a consistent schedule will bring ratings, Fox has left it in one timeslot.) I know I was in the category, because I had completely forgotten about the show until [as] announced it was going to start airing Family Guy on a bump one night.

okay, my mistake. you're right.
i definitely think the as audience didn't single-handedly create the fanbase outcry that got it brought back from the abyss, though. it definitely seemed like a hand in hand sort of thing--the dvd sales and the rerun ratings.

and yeha, fox tends to cancel any decent show of theirs prematurely (arrested development~!!!!T^T).

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 17 June 2010 - 11:10 AM

#22 User is offline   wrexness 

• Forum Abacus
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:17 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on 17 June 2010 - 11:10 AM, said:

okay, my mistake. you're right.
i definitely think the as audience didn't single-handedly create the fanbase outcry that got it brought back from the abyss, though. it definitely seemed like a hand in hand sort of thing--the dvd sales and the rerun ratings.

and yeha, fox tends to cancel any decent show of theirs prematurely (arrested development~!!!!T^T).

Oh no doubt, I agree completely. I think if it was missing one or the other that Family Guy would still be dead. It was the unprecedented combination of huge DVD sales and huge cable ratings that combined to make Fox revive it.

Also agreed on Arrested Development. That was another damn fine show ruined because Fox had no clue how to schedule shows in the late 90s/early 00s. But at least there is supposed to be a movie script in the works~

#23 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:15 PM

Fox ruins too many great series, such as Futurama and Firefly.

#24 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:42 PM

View PostFoolish Humon, on 17 June 2010 - 10:15 PM, said:

Fox ruins too many great series, such as Futurama and Firefly.

Beat me to it. I actually saw the first episode of Futurama I'd seen since 2005 at ACen this year. It's still pretty funny, and they didn't have to resort to "Let's see who we can insult this week for higher ratings (as long as they don't threaten to kill us)" that pretty much drives Family Guy.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"And Comedy Central"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#25 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:50 PM

A friend of mine and I used to stay up every night watching "Reno 911!" and eventually "Malcolm in the Middle" (it came on inbetween 'Reno!' episodes...) and texting each other. It was hilarious.

But after that died I generally stay away from sitcoms. I think the only one I still watch is "Peep Show", if that's a sitcom.

#26 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 41763

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:32 PM

Rather than sitcom's I watch shows like Supernatural, Doctor Who, Merlin and Smallville.

The only sitcom's I'll sit down and watch with other people are Family Guy and Big Bang Theory.

Both are good shows but I don't like them enough to devote myself to watching them.

The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#27 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:39 PM

Big Bang Theory!!! :3

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#28 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

View PostFoolish Humon, on 16 June 2010 - 10:00 PM, said:

Family Guy is sort of a rip-off of The Simpsons,

sort of?
seth mcfarland literally said that he sold the show based on stewie's character - because that was the only major difference between the main cast of family guy and the main cast of the simpsons.

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 18 June 2010 - 02:50 PM

#29 User is offline   Foolish Humon 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:58 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on 18 June 2010 - 02:49 PM, said:

sort of?
seth mcfarland literally said that he sold the show based on stewie's character - because that was the only major difference between the main cast of family guy and the main cast of the simpsons.

Yeah, and to a lesser extent Brian as well. Still I wouldn't care if it was a ripoff as long as it was good, but sadly it is not. Not anymore at least.

#30 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 20031

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:28 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on 18 June 2010 - 02:49 PM, said:

sort of?

Seriously? When did he say that?

I always knew it was a Simpsons ripoff, but I had no idea that Seth admitted it.
~~

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users