Anime Central Forums: Sakura Wars: So Long My Love - Anime Central Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Sakura Wars: So Long My Love PS2

#1 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 41763
  • Posts: 1,523
  • Joined: 21-October 09
  • Location:Gensokyo

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:12 PM

Ok, I picked this game up out of a spur of the moment impulse since it was there and I had spare store credit at the local Gamestop.

I didn't even know this game had come out until a friend mentioned it to me the other day, and I can see why, its not really much of a game in my view.

It basically plays itself as a visual novel where you as the main character make conversation decisions that effect your social links with the other important characters in the game. This plus very rare and very few battle sequences in the entire game make it very much like a visual novel, except a visual novel actually lets you save at anytime where as Sakura Wars FORCES you to play through a chapter, only allowing you to save between each chapter, talk about flawed save point design.

Voice acting, awesome. Animated scenes, great. Story line, interesting for a mediocre run of the mill plot. everything else... well at least its got mech's right? I mean, what does it matter that you almost NEVER see them or control them...

-wants to set fire to the game-

If I wanted to play a visual novel I'd buy one, not pay $40 for a game and get disappointed.
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#2 User is offline   kenkendazo  

  • The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19670
  • Posts: 2,127
  • Joined: 20-October 08
  • Location:Forum

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:18 PM

:/

Games should allow you to save where ever.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#3 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3332
  • Posts: 1,626
  • Joined: 25-November 04
  • Location:Illinois

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:23 PM

i'm still going to buy it. : P

#4 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 41763
  • Posts: 1,523
  • Joined: 21-October 09
  • Location:Gensokyo

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:44 PM

View PostSuigetsu, on May 4 2010, 12:18 AM, said:

:/

Games should allow you to save where ever.

True words my friend.

Though DVD visual novels suffer the same problem, save points only at the end of each chapter ( and by save point I mean they give you a code for DVD visual novels ).
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#5 User is offline   kenkendazo  

  • The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19670
  • Posts: 2,127
  • Joined: 20-October 08
  • Location:Forum

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:51 PM

View PostTaiyakiZero, on May 4 2010, 12:44 AM, said:

True words my friend.

Though DVD visual novels suffer the same problem, save points only at the end of each chapter ( and by save point I mean they give you a code for DVD visual novels ).

In my experience the dvd versions are bastardizations anyways. Really bad experience there.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#6 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3332
  • Posts: 1,626
  • Joined: 25-November 04
  • Location:Illinois

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:54 PM

i think you're supposed to play this as a ren ai/visual novel/dating sim-like game and take the
mecha battles as a delicious bonus. it's a niche game. i don't think you should go into it expecting INTENSE
MECHA HOT-BLOODED ACTION or whatever.

i mean...it's about a bunch of girls named after flowers...

#7 User is offline   Sir Viver 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 45691
  • Posts: 1,050
  • Joined: 11-December 09

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:11 AM

Ick. Man, I was hoping the Saikano dating sim for PS2 would have a segment where you fly around blowing $#!% up as Chise, but no dice... but at least that game lets you save wherever, whenever. I'm normally not a dating sim guy, but I love Saikano, and after picking the game up cheap for collector purposes, I guessed my way through the moonrunes and cleared the game a few times on different routes. Has a nice art gallery, at least.
Soul of the mind, key to life's ether...
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel...
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended...
So the world might be mended...

#8 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 41763
  • Posts: 1,523
  • Joined: 21-October 09
  • Location:Gensokyo

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:19 AM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on May 4 2010, 12:54 AM, said:

i think you're supposed to play this as a ren ai/visual novel/dating sim-like game and take the
mecha battles as a delicious bonus. it's a niche game. i don't think you should go into it expecting INTENSE
MECHA HOT-BLOODED ACTION or whatever.

i mean...it's about a bunch of girls named after flowers...

I was looking for a game rather than a visual novel, I was disappointed, I'll live with it until I finish the game and then trade it back in for a different game.

I like visual novels, but I wasn't looking for one when I made this purchase.
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#9 User is offline   Sir Viver 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 45691
  • Posts: 1,050
  • Joined: 11-December 09

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:37 AM

This is why you should always check, in regards to licensed anime games. 9 times out of 10, if it has the potential to be an action game or fighting game or something !!AWESOME!! it's... usually a dating sim.

Poor Shakugan no Shana. Would have made for such a great action game, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

While a lot of anime games tend to suck, and some are so bad they never even make their way overseas (see: Cowboy Bebop for PS2), there's still some real gems that never make it stateside, like the Sharaku platformer for NES, the 4-player Yu-Yu Hakusho fighter for Genesis, Cowboy Bebop for PS1 (kind of a Starfox-type game), or the Jump Super Stars and Ultimate Stars games for DS. Kind of a pity. :(

This post has been edited by Sir Viver: 04 May 2010 - 04:42 AM

Soul of the mind, key to life's ether...
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel...
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended...
So the world might be mended...

#10 User is offline   kenkendazo  

  • The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19670
  • Posts: 2,127
  • Joined: 20-October 08
  • Location:Forum

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:18 AM

View PostSir Viver, on May 4 2010, 05:37 AM, said:

Poor Shakugan no Shana. Would have made for such a great action game, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

Still looking for the DS or PS2 version for collector purposes.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#11 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

  • Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912
  • Posts: 433
  • Joined: 25-April 06

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:52 PM

As of this writing, I've made it to the beginning of chapter eight of Sakura Wars 5. My thoughts overall are positive, but I certainly admit this isn't for everyone. As I said in the previous Sakura Wars topic, I've enjoyed this game despite some complaints.

Things I've enjoyed so far:

- There's tons of comedy.
- The themes and setting are so over the top that they're awesome.
- The "walk around town" segments are a little stressful, but I've found them enjoyable.
- Compared to some of the visual novels in my collection (including professionally translated ones, fan translated ones, and original English language ones), there's often many more possibilities for what can occur in a single chapter.

My complaints:

- I'm not a major fan of strategy RPGs, and I struggle with 3D game environments. So while I find the ground battles somewhat tough, the aerial battles aren't much fun.
- I kind of like the quick time events, but there's an awful lot of them...
- I certainly understand the complaints about the limited save/load feature. It would be more frustrating if it were portable...
- The dubbed dialogue is only vaguely in sync.
- The translations of the Japanese dialogue are closer to the dub rewrite. (Unfortunately, fans should not honestly expect any alternate translation or patch to be created.)
- Overall, the game has caused me to wish that more like this was available in English. But at this time, there's only a few FAQs in English for Sakura Taisen 1-4. And unless someone decides to begin a fan translation project for those games, I seriously doubt that even the Windows versions will ever be translated.

If anyone on the thread is looking for other visual novels with mechs, fighting, and the like, there's only a few options that are available in English...

- Some fans have begun to translate the Muv-Luv games (PC only, adult content), but only one unfinished patch is currently available.
- A year before the company went bankrupt, Hirameki translated a worksafe PC game called Piece of Wonder. It's out of print and a little tough to find now, but there's a review on RPGFan: http://www.rpgfan.co...nder/index.html
- And there's an originally-in-English freeware, worksafe game called Exile Gear Raynar at http://www.renai.us/game/raynar.shtml

#12 User is offline   kenkendazo  

  • The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19670
  • Posts: 2,127
  • Joined: 20-October 08
  • Location:Forum

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:14 PM

OELVN's got me into wanted to learn programming languages. Sadly, I stopped learning when crocheting fell onto my laps. I myself have worked on a few translations, but they were all solos and I didn't have the capacity to create a patch so the sat in doc files or I recreated the game using VN creation software and did my best to take the parts from the games. But I digress....

I would have liked to have gotten more into Sakura Wars but for some reason I always seemed to steer away from them. I think I may have read some of the manga in the past.

Is it English only, this game? Or is there a Japanese language setting?
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#13 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 41763
  • Posts: 1,523
  • Joined: 21-October 09
  • Location:Gensokyo

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:29 PM

View PostSuigetsu, on May 4 2010, 07:14 PM, said:

OELVN's got me into wanted to learn programming languages. Sadly, I stopped learning when crocheting fell onto my laps. I myself have worked on a few translations, but they were all solos and I didn't have the capacity to create a patch so the sat in doc files or I recreated the game using VN creation software and did my best to take the parts from the games. But I digress....

I would have liked to have gotten more into Sakura Wars but for some reason I always seemed to steer away from them. I think I may have read some of the manga in the past.

Is it English only, this game? Or is there a Japanese language setting?

This particular one comes with both an English and Japanese audio version of the game on two discs. so you get to choose.
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#14 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3332
  • Posts: 1,626
  • Joined: 25-November 04
  • Location:Illinois

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:11 PM

View PostSir Viver, on May 4 2010, 05:37 AM, said:

This is why you should always check, in regards to licensed anime games. 9 times out of 10, if it has the potential to be an action game or fighting game or something !!AWESOME!! it's... usually a dating sim.

Poor Shakugan no Shana. Would have made for such a great action game, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

While a lot of anime games tend to suck, and some are so bad they never even make their way overseas (see: Cowboy Bebop for PS2), there's still some real gems that never make it stateside, like the Sharaku platformer for NES, the 4-player Yu-Yu Hakusho fighter for Genesis, Cowboy Bebop for PS1 (kind of a Starfox-type game), or the Jump Super Stars and Ultimate Stars games for DS. Kind of a pity. :(

the sakura taisen series isn't an anime tie-in game, though.
it's a popular video game series with tons of anime and video game spin-offs.
the series is actually one of the top 4 most popular rpg series in japan from what i keep reading.

#15 User is offline   Sir Viver 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 45691
  • Posts: 1,050
  • Joined: 11-December 09

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:41 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on May 4 2010, 11:11 PM, said:

the sakura taisen series isn't an anime tie-in game, though.
it's a popular video game series with tons of anime and video game spin-offs.
the series is actually one of the top 4 most popular rpg series in japan from what i keep reading.

Oh. I thought Sakura Wars, the games, were based off the anime. My bad, guess it was the other way around.
Soul of the mind, key to life's ether...
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel...
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended...
So the world might be mended...

#16 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 41763
  • Posts: 1,523
  • Joined: 21-October 09
  • Location:Gensokyo

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:50 AM

View PostSir Viver, on May 4 2010, 11:41 PM, said:

Oh. I thought Sakura Wars, the games, were based off the anime. My bad, guess it was the other way around.

Don't worry, I thought the same thing at first not too long ago...
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#17 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 41763
  • Posts: 1,523
  • Joined: 21-October 09
  • Location:Gensokyo

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:26 PM

Not even 30 hours in and the game is finished. I had a enjoyable experience playing it but nothing memorable. It will probably sit on my shelf for a while before I decide to trade it in.
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users