• This topic is locked

Check-in At The Hyatt

#1 User is offline   Fullmetalcrusade 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 2749

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:37 AM

I have a question about check-in, something I've wondered for a while. I am scheduled to Check in on Friday and check out on Sunday, so I wonder, can I technically check in at midnight on Thursday night/Friday morning? I ask because I plan on going to the Red Bar meetup on Thursday, and if I can just wait around until midnight and then check-in, I just may not hold back quite as much on the drinks.

View PostFlyingElf, on Apr 21 2007, 10:26 PM, said:

Reactor doesnt' count as a con. Reactor is an experiment in how bad a group of otaku can destroy a hotel given 3 days...

#2 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:05 PM

I'd call the hotel and ask. However as a guess I suspect actual "check in" (which I assume means getting into an actual room) will also depend on room availability. There have been times I have gotten my room by about 1:pm and others when I ended up waiting till after 3pm. I doubt you can get a room in the wee hours of the morning as official checkout isn't until about 11am and they still have to clean the room (unless they actually have an empty room available, which is doubtful IMO).

My opinions.
This space intentionally left blank.

#3 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Validating
  • Member No.: 18421

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:07 PM

I doubt you can. If you reserved the room, you can only be checked in at whatever time check in is. Otherwise you're stuck sticking around until the afternoon but to be honest (and never showed up on a Thursday) that's not even worth it.
Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen
Fullmetal Alchemist - Greedling

#4 User is offline   Oreo_Otaku 

• Registration
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 2339
  • Location:inside your mind... I'm a figment of your imagination

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:52 PM

I don't think so because technically you would be staying an extra night if you did that.
[center]How's my driving? Flip FOB Driver Pro: Oreo_Otaku. Comments? CALL: 111-555-9999
If you can read this you get a pat on the back.
I drank GOD and it is good!!!
Part of POWA*PinoyOneWorldAlliance*
ninja>pirates!
Acen Hamburglar

#5 User is offline   El Ken 

• Guest Relations Section Chief
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5629

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:04 PM

You cannot check in before the check in time set forth by the hotel. The check in time at the Hyatt is 3pm.
Ken Leiding

Guest Relations Section Chief (2011- )

Hotel/Convention Site Relations, Retired (2006-2010)

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#6 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:19 PM

View PostEl Ken, on Apr 16 2010, 02:04 PM, said:

You cannot check in before the check in time set forth by the hotel. The check in time at the Hyatt is 3pm.

^ This.

They need time to clear other people out and clean up so they make it pretty strict with check in times.

ACen 2017 LINEUP
Pidge-Voltron
Newt Scamander-FBAWTFT
Neo - RWBY
Flemeth - DA
MC-Mysme

#7 User is offline   Fullmetalcrusade 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:43 PM

View PostSka_Toranpetta, on Apr 16 2010, 03:19 PM, said:

^ This.

They need time to clear other people out and clean up so they make it pretty strict with check in times.

Well, last year i was able to check in at about 9AM

Reactor doesnt' count as a con. Reactor is an experiment in how bad a group of otaku can destroy a hotel given 3 days...

#8 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:54 PM

Even so, they may not be too keen on you checking in earlier than originally scheduled. Your best bet is to call the hotel and ask them directly, particularly since they may not even have check-ins/rooms available past a certain point Thursday evening (and if you do check in Thursday evening, that would be an extra night tacked on). If they can arrange it, sweet. But if they stand by the original time, no matter who you speak to or how high up you go, then you'll have to check in on Friday.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#9 User is offline   Fullmetalcrusade 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:03 PM

View PostSaphrinka, on Apr 16 2010, 06:54 PM, said:

Even so, they may not be too keen on you checking in earlier than originally scheduled. Your best bet is to call the hotel and ask them directly, particularly since they may not even have check-ins/rooms available past a certain point Thursday evening (and if you do check in Thursday evening, that would be an extra night tacked on). If they can arrange it, sweet. But if they stand by the original time, no matter who you speak to or how high up you go, then you'll have to check in on Friday.

Understandable, honestly I won't even do that. I can just have one beer on Thursday at red bar, one drink wont impair my driving.

#10 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:48 PM

You can always request an early check in, but its on the fence. You could be able to go in early, or they may make you wait.
ACen 2017 LINEUP
Pidge-Voltron
Newt Scamander-FBAWTFT
Neo - RWBY
Flemeth - DA
MC-Mysme

#11 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:37 AM

I'm pretty sure I pretty much just got lucky when I was able to get into my room around 1:pm. It *was* on a Thursday, and I do have the Hyatt Gold Card membership amongst other things, so that may have given me an edge that time. Generally I find I have to wait until about 3pm. When you reserve a room it is for a certain set "night," and the hotel decides just what constitutes a "night." For example it may be from 3pm until 11am the next morning. That's it. If you checked in to a room even at 6AM Friday morning, they would/could still consider that as Thursday night. Now if you take multiple consecutive nights, they will probably consider the hours between 11am and 3pm as part of your stay.

Note that I have heard of some hotels (mostly out of the US) that actually expect you to be OUT of your room during those hours so they can clean and they are essentially only allowing you to "store" your belongings in that room, not actually use it...

My opinons
This space intentionally left blank.

#12 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 9607

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:02 PM

I'm curious about how this works too.

This ACEN I'm going alone, so I have to deal with parking and the hotel which I haven't done before.

Let's say I arrive at 8:30am...

How does the parking work? Do we pay at the entrance, or are the fees payed through the hotel reservation?

Is it fine to tell the front desk that I've arrived whenever I get there? As long as I'm around I don't see why it would be wrong to do that. Do they call the registered cellphone when the room is ready?

I did check the box for early check-in when I reserved online, so I assume it will at least be before 3pm. ^_^

#13 User is offline   tatterpillar 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 23950

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:18 PM

View PostOreo_Otaku, on Apr 16 2010, 02:52 PM, said:

I don't think so because technically you would be staying an extra night if you did that.

BINGO

View PostSka_Toranpetta, on Apr 16 2010, 04:19 PM, said:

^ This.

Not always true. If they have a room that wasn't occupied the night before, they may let you in. However, midnight would be considered an extra night. I think my hotel cuts that off at 7am. We get early check ins, which aren't fun if there are a ton of people trying to do it, but if we have a room clean, we'll let you in.

#14 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:28 PM

View PostScott, on Apr 27 2010, 09:02 PM, said:

I'm curious about how this works too.

This ACEN I'm going alone, so I have to deal with parking and the hotel which I haven't done before.

Let's say I arrive at 8:30am...

How does the parking work? Do we pay at the entrance, or are the fees payed through the hotel reservation?

Is it fine to tell the front desk that I've arrived whenever I get there? As long as I'm around I don't see why it would be wrong to do that. Do they call the registered cellphone when the room is ready?

I did check the box for early check-in when I reserved online, so I assume it will at least be before 3pm. ^_^

Hyatt parking? Well, I don't know about this year or last year but in 08, I paid $30 up front in cash when I pulled in Thursday afternoon. We'd already gotten checked in (it was a bit later in the day), but there was an attendant there at the entrance taking money and handing over cards for in/out privileges.

You can tell the front desk, but they'll probably tell you to go away and come back after a certain time. I doubt they'll call you when the room is ready, especially during Acen weekend when if they did that, they'd have to make thousands of calls. Early check-in will all depend on how together they are, but you can always ask when you get there and remind them you wanted early check-in.

But very likely if you get there at 8:30 you will be hanging out quite a while before you're able to check-in. And if they don't have the attendant there, make sure when you do get to the desk and check-in, you have them validate the parking card thingy.
Event Accessibility Services staff for ACen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Anime Milwaukee 2017: Philip (Kamen Rider W), Karma (Assassination Classroom)
C2E2 2017: Philip (Kamen Rider W), Hiiro Kagami (Kamen Rider Brave), possibly Ghostbuster (if I have my panel), maybe Neptune (RWBY)
ACen 2017: Philip (Kamen Rider W), Hiiro Kagami (Kamen Rider Brave), Gou Shijima (Kamen Rider Mach), Karma (Assassination Classroom), Neptune (RWBY)
Definite 2017 cons (no cosplay plans set as of yet): Uchi-con, NWI Comic Con

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My cosplay / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#15 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6522

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:26 PM

View PostKnitChick, on Apr 27 2010, 09:28 PM, said:

And if they don't have the attendant there, make sure when you do get to the desk and check-in, you have them validate the parking card thingy.

DO NOT use the vending machines to pay for your parking. They're not programmed to give the discount rate.
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#16 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:49 PM

View PostDave, on Apr 28 2010, 05:26 PM, said:

DO NOT use the vending machines to pay for your parking. They're not programmed to give the discount rate.

Well if there isn't an attendant, I don't see any other option as I would need to park somewhere. :wacko:

This post has been edited by Scott: 07 May 2010 - 11:50 PM

#17 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:30 AM

View PostScott, on May 8 2010, 12:49 AM, said:

Well if there isn't an attendant, I don't see any other option as I would need to park somewhere. :wacko:

If there is no attendant you get a card. What he means is, do not use the automated machine that you'll see right when you get inside the Hyatt from the parking garage. It will charge you full price. Make sure to pay with the front desk so you get the discounted rate.
Event Accessibility Services staff for ACen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Anime Milwaukee 2017: Philip (Kamen Rider W), Karma (Assassination Classroom)
C2E2 2017: Philip (Kamen Rider W), Hiiro Kagami (Kamen Rider Brave), possibly Ghostbuster (if I have my panel), maybe Neptune (RWBY)
ACen 2017: Philip (Kamen Rider W), Hiiro Kagami (Kamen Rider Brave), Gou Shijima (Kamen Rider Mach), Karma (Assassination Classroom), Neptune (RWBY)
Definite 2017 cons (no cosplay plans set as of yet): Uchi-con, NWI Comic Con

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My cosplay / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#18 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:44 AM

View PostKnitChick, on May 8 2010, 01:30 AM, said:

If there is no attendant you get a card. What he means is, do not use the automated machine that you'll see right when you get inside the Hyatt from the parking garage. It will charge you full price. Make sure to pay with the front desk so you get the discounted rate.

That makes sense, thanks.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users