Anime Central Forums: Game Creation Panel Is On Like Donkey Kong! Faq Inside... - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Game Creation Panel Is On Like Donkey Kong! Faq Inside...

#1 User is offline   akakaze 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 29771

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:24 PM

Greetings, salutations, ohayou, etc.

My name is Akakaze and I will be co-presenting the panel on creating your own Japanese-style role playing games with RPG Maker 2003. The title of the panel is rather dull, but the panel itself will be anything but!

I presented this topic to a full audience at Anime Detour last year, where the project was very well-received.

A FAQ:

What is RPG Maker 2003?

An oldie-but-goodie RPG Creation Engine by game company Enterbrain. Although similar to the ones released for the Playstation and Playstation 2, the battle system and scripting language in RPG Maker 2003 is both simple and powerful. The fact it's a PC program allows for easy importing of resources.

Most of us otaku have dreamt of being able to bring our fanfiction or original stories to life in JRPG form (you KNOW you have, don't deny it). This engine allows you to do just that. It's complicated enough to be powerful, while simple enough to learn in a relatively short amount of time.

I'm a baka when it comes to programming. Is it really even worth my time?

YES! As a matter of fact, anyone with a little patience and creativity can craft a JRPG using this engine. Admittedly, it's a lot easier to find resources than make your own, but the engine provides all that you need. If you've worked with scripting before, this will be a cakewalk for you. If you haven't, we will teach you everything you need to get started.

I'm a baka when it comes to drawing. I can't do art. Is this really even worth my time?

DEFINITELY! There are plenty of resources included in the program as well as capacity to import other stuff you find around the intarwebz. Of course, you can always make your own too, should you be artistically inclined.

Why 2003? Doesn't RPG Maker XP/VX have an official English release? Why use its predecessor for this panel?

I've bought and tinkered with the official English release of RPG Maker XP, and although the engine is more powerful and flexible than RPG Maker 2003's engine, it is also a lot less user-friendly. As opposed to 2003, which uses an event-based scripting language, XP contains an entire programming language. Since this panel is meant for beginners, XP really isn't the best place to start when crafting your masterpiece. If you're familiar with code though, go for it. In fact, go for it anyway, to support the English versions of RPG Maker XP/VX.

Where can I get the program?

Google is your friend, there are plenty of translations out there.
I'm not going to be handing out copies. I do not condone piracy. Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but I got permabanned from NeoGAF for even bringing it up when STATING I don't condone it. >.<

Where can I get charset/faceset/music/tileset resources?

Google it. Since a lot of resources are creations derived from existing games, I'm not providing direct links.

What will be covered in the panel?
* A demo game I've crafted specifically for ACEN will be shown, featuring music by the Leet Street Boys (used with permission).
* Slides will cover the most important aspects of game creation using the tool.
* A "cheat sheet" with "How To" tasks ranging from map creation to event operations (how do I initiate an enemy encounter? Create a treasure chest? etc...)

What time/day is your panel?
At this point, it's anyone's guess, though if Detour is any indication since we're a first-time panel we will be: (1.) really early; (2.) really late; (3.) during the Masquerade. YMMV, but if you have time to come and see us, we'd love to have you.

This post has been edited by akakaze: 05 April 2010 - 12:31 PM

#2 User is offline   akakaze 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 29771

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:54 AM

T_T

This post has been edited by akakaze: 13 April 2010 - 08:55 AM

#3 User is offline   Weighted Companion Cube 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 18530

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:42 AM

C'mon Acen goers.

Enough of you drool over sealed Super Famicom games in the dealer's room, secretly wrote your fanfiction about Harry Potter (we checked your browser history), and dress up like Aerith and Rikku to know that creating an RPG is right up your alley!

#4 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:19 PM

I'll go. I enjoy the event based system, though I would like to see the interface for the new versions sometime.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users