• This topic is locked

Crochet Anyone?

#1 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:13 PM

I have looked at countless books and youtube videos, and I still cannot figure out how to do anything other than making the starting chain. I've tried various yarns and needle sizes, but I can't even get a single stitch correct. Can anybody recommend something that has worked for them? At this rate I think the only way I can learn is if there is someone with me physically to show me what I'm doing wrong.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#2 User is offline   otakubunny 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 47839

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:56 PM

View PostSuigetsu, on Jan 19 2010, 08:13 PM, said:

I have looked at countless books and youtube videos, and I still cannot figure out how to do anything other than making the starting chain. I've tried various yarns and needle sizes, but I can't even get a single stitch correct. Can anybody recommend something that has worked for them? At this rate I think the only way I can learn is if there is someone with me physically to show me what I'm doing wrong.

ok do 15 links then after that go backwards with every other link...or just go to a hobby store and buy some hoops the books give you directions its easy ^.^
I want a Lawyer, I want a Doctor, I want a cheese sandwich

#3 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:02 AM

View PostSuigetsu, on Jan 19 2010, 08:13 PM, said:

I'm still fairly new to crochet, but I'm getting the hang of it. Concluded the "traditional" way (rather, "Mum's way") of holding the stick/needle/thing is too confusing for me, so I modded and finagled 'til my hands fell into a natural position and felt right...though I admit to shamelessly using my fingers when needed lol. As of now, I'm working on making a little blanket to wear when sitting at my laptop. Slow work (~4' x 1" atm), but it'll be warm and cozy when it's done. :3

Give me a few days and I could make a youtube showing how I do it, if you'd like. It'd be of my blanket I'm making, but it might clarify some stuff you're confused on.

Otherwise, just a few suggestions.
    - Practice making the starter chain until you're confident in your skill with the needle. THen move on to making rows off that chain.
    - Practice makes perfect....though it may take hours or even days.
    - Don't use big needles for tiny projects, and vice-versa. Try to match needle gauge with yarn size (on the yarn's label.)
    - Decide the tightness/size of the loops you're going to make before starting, then try keeping them uniform or at least close enough.
    - Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Crochet is MUCH easier to fix than sewing - just pull the yarn and instant redo granted! ^^d
    - If you get frustrated & cranky, put it away for a while. You can always come back when you're in a better mindset/mood.
    - Don't give up -- you can do it!
Good luck!
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#4 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:27 AM

View Postchainedbyroses, on Jan 20 2010, 02:02 AM, said:

I'm still fairly new to crochet, but I'm getting the hang of it. Concluded the "traditional" way (rather, "Mum's way") of holding the stick/needle/thing is too confusing for me, so I modded and finagled 'til my hands fell into a natural position and felt right...though I admit to shamelessly using my fingers when needed lol. As of now, I'm working on making a little blanket to wear when sitting at my laptop. Slow work (~4' x 1" atm), but it'll be warm and cozy when it's done. :3

Give me a few days and I could make a youtube showing how I do it, if you'd like. It'd be of my blanket I'm making, but it might clarify some stuff you're confused on.

Otherwise, just a few suggestions.
    - Practice making the starter chain until you're confident in your skill with the needle. THen move on to making rows off that chain.
    - Practice makes perfect....though it may take hours or even days.
    - Don't use big needles for tiny projects, and vice-versa. Try to match needle gauge with yarn size (on the yarn's label.)
    - Decide the tightness/size of the loops you're going to make before starting, then try keeping them uniform or at least close enough.
    - Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Crochet is MUCH easier to fix than sewing - just pull the yarn and instant redo granted! ^^d
    - If you get frustrated & cranky, put it away for a while. You can always come back when you're in a better mindset/mood.
    - Don't give up -- you can do it!
Good luck!

Indeed, your method of not using the method was what I needed. I have a system where the string is held by my knees or jammed under a chair to get the right tension and I too use my fingers. It's not a pretty signt but now I can chain, single, and double. Thanks ~ ^ _ ^ ~

#5 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:06 AM

Oh jeez I havent crochet'ed? (I dont know how to spell that lol) in a looong time. I could try to find some tutorials for you though...

http://volensvivarium.deviantart.com/art/H...rochet-33770127

http://frootloopsyumyum.deviantart.com/art...urumi-131247187

http://sparrow-dream.deviantart.com/art/Cr...Part-4-64814847

I hope these help. I love DA tutorials.
ACen 2017 LINEUP
Pidge-Voltron
Newt Scamander-FBAWTFT
Neo - RWBY
Flemeth - DA
MC-Mysme

#6 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:17 PM

As practice I'm starting on a sock monkey. I have his one leg completed now, but see a problem. It looks like I'm getting a seam where I'm connecting the rows with Slip Stiches, more over they make a diagonal line I can't hide. Anyone know how to remedy this?

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/s...ooroldlumpy.jpg

#7 User is offline   sere 

• Guest Relations Dispatch
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11324

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:09 PM

View PostSuigetsu, on Jan 21 2010, 10:17 PM, said:

As practice I'm starting on a sock monkey. I have his one leg completed now, but see a problem. It looks like I'm getting a seam where I'm connecting the rows with Slip Stiches, more over they make a diagonal line I can't hide. Anyone know how to remedy this?

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/s...ooroldlumpy.jpg

That's kind of funny that the seam spirals. Can you post a link to the pattern so we can see if you are supposed to end up with the spiral seam? Otherwise you might be accidentally increasing your rows. There are generally two ways to crochet a tube. One: just make a tube in a never ending circle with no need for slip stiches. Two: normal crochet in the round style but with slip stiches.

Something that I found very helpful when I was getting confused by text-only patterns was The Crochet Stitch Bible. It was so awesome I had to go buy it after using my library's copy.
♪ Akino Arai Fangirl ♪
♥ Registration Staff 2009 Guest Relations 2010-2011 ♥
☆ Mommy to one ☆

#8 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:30 AM

View Postsere, on Jan 24 2010, 10:09 PM, said:

That's kind of funny that the seam spirals. Can you post a link to the pattern so we can see if you are supposed to end up with the spiral seam? Otherwise you might be accidentally increasing your rows. There are generally two ways to crochet a tube. One: just make a tube in a never ending circle with no need for slip stiches. Two: normal crochet in the round style but with slip stiches.

Something that I found very helpful when I was getting confused by text-only patterns was The Crochet Stitch Bible. It was so awesome I had to go buy it after using my library's copy.

The normal round with slips always would make those spirals so I've since switched over to the continuous circle and haven't looked back. No kidding. I ripped off the rear-view mirrors in my crochet car. ^_^

I have stuffed the leg that has the spiral seam in it and it isn't as obvious as before, but I still know its there.

#9 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 8785

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:47 PM

I'm surprised that YouTube didn't help. My greatest resource for relearning how to crochet (after having not done it in ten years) was the collection of videos from the user tjw1963. I tried following image guides and figures, but none of those helped as much as video tutorials.
~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D
**Need help making something? Check this guide for tutorials!**

Hubby: '07: Elite Beat Agent ||
'08: Makoto Shishio ||'09: Cobra Commander ||'10: Golbez ||'11: Cats ||'12: Makoto Shishio
Me: '07: Cloaked Zelda ||'08: Myself =P ||'09: Queen Rutela ||'10: Fi (Skyward Sword) ||'11: Tali'Zorah ||'12: ??

#10 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:59 AM

Though many Youtubeings, massive amounts of books...and somehow writing patterns out into mathematical equations...^^;...I managed to figure out all I need. Now I enjoy making Amigurumi's and the likes.

#11 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:03 AM

View PostSuigetsu, on Feb 24 2010, 09:59 AM, said:

Though many Youtubeings, massive amounts of books...and somehow writing patterns out into mathematical equations...^^;...I managed to figure out all I need. Now I enjoy making Amigurumi's and the likes.

That's really great! I'm glad you didn't give up.
=)
~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D

'08: Makoto Shishio ||'09: Cobra Commander ||'10: Golbez ||'11: Cats ||'12: Makoto Shishio
Me: '07: Cloaked Zelda ||'08: Myself =P ||'09: Queen Rutela ||'10: Fi (Skyward Sword) ||'11: Tali'Zorah ||'12: ??

#12 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:07 AM

View Postsimonsaz3, on Feb 24 2010, 10:03 AM, said:

That's really great! I'm glad you didn't give up.
=)

Indeed, I have the callouses to prove it ^^
I send a few hours a day crocheting now. Its just something fun to do.

#13 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:19 AM

View PostSuigetsu, on Feb 24 2010, 10:07 AM, said:

Indeed, I have the callouses to prove it ^^
I send a few hours a day crocheting now. Its just something fun to do.

Haha, yeah it's a really relaxing hobby while watching movies, anime episodes, or just listening to music.
=)
~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D

#14 User is offline   chainedbyroses 

• Special Needs Staff
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11017

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:19 AM

Glad you finally got the hang of it! (Sorry I'd forgot this thread.. ^^;)

Did you make the amigurumi in your avatar icon? It's cute. :)
Special Needs/ADA Staff 2014 | Thurs-Sun @ DESCC Registration Hall
• 2014 cosplay • || Marvel/Cap2: Natasha (hoodie, jacket) || Supernatural: Meg 2.0; Dean

""Why is 6 afraid of 7?" .....Well, I would suppose it's because 7 is a prime number, and prime numbers can be intimidating..." - Castiel

#15 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:31 PM

Amigurumi are adorable! I recently saw these little crocheted bees without wings... totally cute!

This post has been edited by simonsaz3: 25 February 2010 - 09:32 PM

~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D

#16 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:40 PM

View Postchainedbyroses, on Feb 25 2010, 03:19 AM, said:

Glad you finally got the hang of it! (Sorry I'd forgot this thread.. ^^;)

Did you make the amigurumi in your avatar icon? It's cute. :)

Indeed I did, it's Elli from the Harvest Moon games. Sadly, crocheting takes a long time for big products; if that were not the case I would attempt to make a cosplay out of crocheting.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users