• This topic is locked

Cosplay Disasters the ups and downs

#1 User is offline   VilettaNu28 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 23661

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:23 PM

I dont if it was just me, or something but i had a terrible cosplay disaster the second time i went to Acen....><.....i thought i could finish a cosplay in two weeks....*bad idea i kno...XD*.....I decided to go as tifa....and i never finished the top or anything...it looked like a automatic fail

Anybody else have any of those not so awesome cosplay moments...:P
ACEN 2012
Friday:Vocaloid: Miku hatsune
Saturday:Zatsune Miku

thought I would update the page haha...but Acen 2012 looks pretty promising and I can't wait to see all te amazing cosplays :3[/color]
Money Budget Goal: $800.00
Money Budget now: $0.00(T-T)

#2 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:06 AM

I learned at 08....buying costumes from a big place with them already premade is a BAD idea!
I bought my Kuukaku from cosplaymagic.com and hated it to be honest...

The skirt was too small and too short, the top was for some reason in two pieces (made that way) and when I altered/cleaned the fabric actually started to look wierd. Almost like water stains. Not to mention that on my dark skin it was visible so I had to get a slip to go under it...a very uncomfortable slip...

I still got compliments on it (props to my seamstress) but I was highly upset with it...
A-Cen 2016: Friday Early: Hikaru Friday Late: Nightmare Moon Saturday: Wonder Woman Sunday: Hell Girl

A-cen 2015: Sailor Luna (PGSM) //// Fish Mooney //// Anthy //// Fluttershy (MLP:FIM)
A-cen 2014: Angewomon (Digimon) //// Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) //// Hikaru (Angelic Layer)
A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#3 User is offline   VilettaNu28 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:13 AM

View PostCrimsonAnime, on Mar 29 2009, 01:06 AM, said:

I learned at 08....buying costumes from a big place with them already premade is a BAD idea!
I bought my Kuukaku from cosplaymagic.com and hated it to be honest...

The skirt was too small and too short, the top was for some reason in two pieces (made that way) and when I altered/cleaned the fabric actually started to look wierd. Almost like water stains. Not to mention that on my dark skin it was visible so I had to get a slip to go under it...a very uncomfortable slip...

I still got compliments on it (props to my seamstress) but I was highly upset with it...

oh not that sounds terrible....i once bought one of my cosplays off line...it was waaaay to big...and i had to take it in to get it altered...moeny i could've kept lol ^^
ACEN 2012

thought I would update the page haha...but Acen 2012 looks pretty promising and I can't wait to see all te amazing cosplays :3[/color]

#4 User is offline   Sailor Anime 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 19583

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:46 AM

View PostVilettaNu28, on Mar 28 2009, 08:23 PM, said:

i thought i could finish a cosplay in two weeks....*bad idea i kno...XD*

I don't think that's such a bad thing. I've made costumes start to finish in about three days and they turn out fine. It depends on the difficulty of the costume.

Anyway, the only real costume malfunction I can think of ever having was at Pokettokon last year (2008). The buckle of my Touya costume kept falling off and it made me so angry. But then I took a breath, calmed down, and realized that if I took off the toga, I had Touya's second outfit. XD All things work out.

#5 User is offline   VilettaNu28 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:44 AM

it was a tifa cosplay...^^;;......maybe one day i will try and finish it for future cons lol

This post has been edited by VilettaNu28: 29 March 2009 - 11:44 AM

ACEN 2012

#6 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 14958

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:48 AM

I WILL have one this year. My Bad girl costume is the first one I've made from hand, and it is NOT going well..

1. I have no pattern.

2. I have to handsew it.

3. I can only work on it once every two weeks at my moms because my Dad hates cosplay.
Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#7 User is offline   Sayuri-chan 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 3228

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:04 PM

Last year. If anyone went to the masquerade, you'd have seen me on stage. I cosplayed an akuma from D.Gray-Man, and I should have picked some other type of material to help it keep it's shape. I used chicken wire, fishing line, and gray construction paper. (I think I had some duct tape in there too for good measure, lol). The wire was scratching me up bad from the moment I put it on. I literally bled for that costume. -_-;; XD No such troubles this year. I learned my lesson. My Sayoko cosplay is going to be infinitely more fun to wear and sooo easy to make. It's been nice to have an easy cosplay. <3
♥ ACen REG STAFF: 2005-2008 ♥
♥ Persona owns my soul. Proud to be a member of the UYFA! Proud Supporter of the I.R.T.!
"The Chumps" are back to entertain and amuse. Come join us Friday, in Panel Room 4 from 12:30-2:45pm, and Saturday/Sunday in Panel Room 12, from 12:45-3:15a.
Cosplay for 2016 ACen:|Koro Sensei--Assassination Classroom/0% complete|||Genkai-Yuu Yuu Hakusho/100% complete|||East Kai-Dragonball Z/0% complete
Current quote: "Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still..."
Current blurb: はい、少し日本語を話します。たのしすぎる! ♪♫♪♫音楽が大好き!♪♫♪♫

#8 User is offline   VilettaNu28 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:26 PM

View PostSayuri-chan, on Mar 29 2009, 01:04 PM, said:

Last year. If anyone went to the masquerade, you'd have seen me on stage. I cosplayed an akuma from D.Gray-Man, and I should have picked some other type of material to help it keep it's shape. I used chicken wire, fishing line, and gray construction paper. (I think I had some duct tape in there too for good measure, lol). The wire was scratching me up bad from the moment I put it on. I literally bled for that costume. -_-;; XD No such troubles this year. I learned my lesson. My Sayoko cosplay is going to be infinitely more fun to wear and sooo easy to make. It's been nice to have an easy cosplay. <3

omgoodness....that sounds terrible!! ><.....was it like scratching your leg or something...

i tell you the things we go through to have a good cosplay no? :)
ACEN 2012

#9 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:32 PM

this scrap pile was suppos to be hollow ichigo
so bad
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#10 User is offline   VilettaNu28 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:35 PM

View PostMillions_Knives, on Mar 29 2009, 01:32 PM, said:

this scrap pile was suppos to be hollow ichigo
so bad

O_O...did you make that .....
ACEN 2012

#11 User is offline   okaonos 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 25376

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:38 PM

This year I'm cosplaying Haruhi Suzumiya. When taking measurements for her skirt, I forgot to take into account that I have more of a badonkadonk that her. After everything was already fully finished I realized this. So the back of the skirt is a little too short. Rather than redoing the skirt though, I'm just doing to wear spanks.
# of ACen's attended: 9
Hotel: Hyatt
Cosplay: Rukia (Bleach) - 100%

~Spam Squad~

#12 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:44 PM

View PostVilettaNu28, on Mar 29 2009, 12:35 PM, said:

O_O...did you make that .....

~sigh~
ya
its my worst cosplay ever
how it got judges choice ill never know
i couldnt have scraped that thing faster
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#13 User is offline   VilettaNu28 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:50 PM

View PostMillions_Knives, on Mar 29 2009, 01:44 PM, said:

~sigh~
ya
its my worst cosplay ever
how it got judges choice ill never know
i couldnt have scraped that thing faster

lol...that was pretty tall :D....but at least you got judges choice ^^....
ACEN 2012

#14 User is offline   Rissid 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 17783

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:57 PM

This year already, I've broken two pair of boots that I was going to use for both cosplays. Both times, the zipper tore out! This third pair I have is made of vinyl so it's supposed to bend and stretch. I'll just not wear them until ACen and I should be okay.

This post has been edited by Rissid: 29 March 2009 - 12:57 PM

#15 User is offline   VilettaNu28 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:15 PM

im afraid that im gonna fall in my shoes for my cosplay...which is why i practice with them...falling would be a disaster
ACEN 2012

#16 User is offline   Flame_Alchemist2002 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 15801

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:27 PM

last year at ACen i cosplayed Vincent (costume was made in 3 days D: )

the claw i made was a deathtrap for my poor arm ><; when i was walking back to the crowne plaza to get ready for the rave saturday night, it was raining outside. i walked from the hyatt alllll the way back to crowne. my claw was wet and when i tried to take it off it wouldn't COME off o____o......(like those chinese finger trap things)

i ended up ripping it off >>; ...before that however, a finger fell off from the claw while i was walking and paint was chipping off too D: ....i remade a new claw for 09 out of foam this time so i don't have to fuss with that deathtrap again D:

old claw ----> http://flame-alchemist2002.deviantart.com/...ogress-78874464

new claw ---> http://flame-alchemist2002.deviantart.com/...e-WIP-117111436
~ACen 2016!~
~Akane (Psycho Pass)----Finished
~Kogami (Psycho Pass)--------Finished
~Akane [Tactical Gear] (Psycho Pass Movie)-----Finished
"Xion dies, Axel is alone, Roxas' life is a lie. Oh, and they never get to the beach.
THIS IS A DISNEY GAME. >_> " -CheesyGranola (358/2 summary)

#17 User is offline   mens_pocky06 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 8685

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:28 PM

All of my costumes thus far have been disasters.....I'm almost to the point of quitting anime/game cosplays altogether...I fit better with comic/scifi costumes...

TT__TT
WOAH! New Forums!
@___@ <3

#18 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:34 PM

???
the ones ive seen are at least above avarage
the only one i kinda dont like is the rainbow catgirl one
but thats just personal taste (rainbows arent my thing)
you have nothing to be sad about

#19 User is offline   VilettaNu28 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:54 PM

View Postmens_pocky06, on Mar 29 2009, 02:28 PM, said:

All of my costumes thus far have been disasters.....I'm almost to the point of quitting anime/game cosplays altogether...I fit better with comic/scifi costumes...

TT__TT

aww dont give up...Im sure you have great potential for any kind of cosplay :D...
ACEN 2012

#20 User is offline   KusanagiRobin 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17338
  • Location:Wanted in the Seireitei for impersonating Byakuya Kuchiki

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:18 PM

If not having a cosplay at ALL counts as a cosplay disaster, then ACen 2007 was it. I ordered my Robin Sena costume online, but it came too late (2 weeks AFTER), but I can blame that on me ordering so close to ACen. However, when I DID get it, it fit me very well, and the fabric was beautiful, and I ended up wearing it at ACen 2008. :D

However, that same year (2008), I wore a Card Captor Sakura outfit, one from an artbook. The outfit itself I felt a little uncomfortable in, but the real disaster was the prop. I slaved over that Star Wand, and even made the top detachable so that it'd be easier for me to carry around. However, then I dropped the whole thing right in the middle of the dealer's room, and the wings I'd glued to the top of the staff head went flying. I thought I'd be able to go back to the room and glue them back, but I'd brought the wrong glue....and ended up with two molten holes in the foam. :(
ACen 2017 Cosplays:

Friday: Trainer May (Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire) :: Saturday: Tachikoma (Ghost in the Shell: SAC)

#21 User is offline   VilettaNu28 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:39 PM

View PostKusanagiRobin, on Mar 29 2009, 03:18 PM, said:

However, that same year (2008), I wore a Card Captor Sakura outfit, one from an artbook. The outfit itself I felt a little uncomfortable in, but the real disaster was the prop. I slaved over that Star Wand, and even made the top detachable so that it'd be easier for me to carry around. However, then I dropped the whole thing right in the middle of the dealer's room, and the wings I'd glued to the top of the staff head went flying. I thought I'd be able to go back to the room and glue them back, but I'd brought the wrong glue....and ended up with two molten holes in the foam. :(

oh noooooesss...><
ACEN 2012

#22 User is offline   KusanagiRobin 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17338
  • Location:Wanted in the Seireitei for impersonating Byakuya Kuchiki

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:05 PM

Well, things should go well this year. I'm making sure of it. If anything DOES go wrong, it'll either be with Temari's fan or Angel L's wings. Knock on wood, though. *knocks on the side of Temari's fan*
ACen 2017 Cosplays:

Friday: Trainer May (Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire) :: Saturday: Tachikoma (Ghost in the Shell: SAC)

#23 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:09 PM

Well it wasnt a disaster, more like embarrasement XD

When I was going to see one of my fav voice actors, my wig cap slipped up off my head and my wig flopped and popped up...my bf fixed it quickly though...but omg..I was worried for a second!
ACen 2017 LINEUP
Pidge-Voltron
Newt Scamander-FBAWTFT
Neo - RWBY
Flemeth - DA
MC-Mysme

#24 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:21 PM

View PostSa-chan, on Mar 29 2009, 06:09 PM, said:

Well it wasnt a disaster, more like embarrasement XD

When I was going to see one of my fav voice actors, my wig cap slipped up off my head and my wig flopped and popped up...my bf fixed it quickly though...but omg..I was worried for a second!

-shudder- wig disasters are horrid... they totally break character...
A-Cen 2016: Friday Early: Hikaru Friday Late: Nightmare Moon Saturday: Wonder Woman Sunday: Hell Girl

A-cen 2015: Sailor Luna (PGSM) //// Fish Mooney //// Anthy //// Fluttershy (MLP:FIM)
A-cen 2014: Angewomon (Digimon) //// Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) //// Hikaru (Angelic Layer)
A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)

#25 User is offline   VilettaNu28 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:22 PM

ahh yess..im afraid my wig might do the same thing...*crosses fingers* hopefully not :P
ACEN 2012

#26 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:23 PM

I'm worried to DEATH that the bun I made on Pluto's wig will fall apart...
I overloaded it with bobby pins and scrunchies and am even considering GLUE!!!

#27 User is offline   VilettaNu28 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:30 PM

View PostCrimsonAnime, on Mar 29 2009, 06:23 PM, said:

I'm worried to DEATH that the bun I made on Pluto's wig will fall apart...
I overloaded it with bobby pins and scrunchies and am even considering GLUE!!!

wow thats to an extreme ...i mean hey you gotta do what ya gotta do...i totally dont blame ya :3
ACEN 2012

#28 User is offline   FoolInCool 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 17895

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:10 PM

i'm really afraid i won't finish my organization coat this year...i mean the chain is the only thing that needs fixin......but i want everything to be perfect.......i feel like i have alot of pressure put on me to cosplay luxord perfectly

#29 User is offline   ExentricSage 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 976

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:04 PM

I'm gonna be working Customer Service at Registration. I plan on haveing in my bag a handsewing kit, glue, makeup, elastic, safety pins, and hairbands. I don't mind shareing if any cosplayers come to me for help. ;) If I can aford it, probably those Tide spot cleaning pens, to. Just thought I'd make that known in case anyone has any further disasters at this year's con.

If things go acording to plan, I will have green hair, and will be easy to spot. Working on Neliel costume. I'm terified the haircoloring will be my personal disaster. I had a very bad experience once with temp purple dye that caused me to go to my first day of Junior year in highschool with purple and grey skin. No joke.

Mug Paris

#30 User is offline   VilettaNu28 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:08 PM

View PostExentricSage, on Mar 29 2009, 08:04 PM, said:

I'm gonna be working Customer Service at Registration. I plan on haveing in my bag a handsewing kit, glue, makeup, elastic, safety pins, and hairbands. I don't mind shareing if any cosplayers come to me for help. ;) If I can aford it, probably those Tide spot cleaning pens, to. Just thought I'd make that known in case anyone has any further disasters at this year's con.

That is so awesome ....one year my friend decided to do that......it didnt work so well lol...but she tried and thats wat matters !! I hope to see you if I have any problems ^^
ACEN 2012

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users