Anime Central Forums: Bye-bye Circuit City! - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Bye-bye Circuit City! Hello Liquidation Sales!

#1 User is offline   Professor_Hojo @_@ 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10054

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:18 AM

Well remember all those CC stores they closed a month or two ago? Now they are all closing. All remaining items are going to be liquidated. Luckily one of the two by me wasnt closed intially so hopefully i can get some cool stuff on the cheap. Sucks for all those who work there though....

THoughts about this?
ACen '12 Cosplays!!: ??????????????????

Visit me on Facebook! Tumblr! Twitter! DeviantArt!

#2 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 20031

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:23 AM

Well we all know the culprit of this...

The evil Best Buy!
~~

#3 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:39 AM

As long as I can finally get a digital camera for less money then i dont' mind. *execpt I hate that people are losing thier jobs.*
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#4 User is offline   HaruHE 

• Calendar Angel
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 10773

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:26 AM

Circuit City still is going to have higher prices on "sale" items than I've seen elsewhere...Good riddance I say. (Sucks for those employed with them.)
Once more returned to the forums. 2013 ideas:
Hieda No Akyu: Project Touhou
Shadow Yukiko Amagi: Persona 4
Kyouko Sakura (Magic form): Magi Madoka Magica

#5 User is offline   akaikurama 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 10043

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:20 AM

Yea well, what stores do is list them for the suggested retail price (usually not what they paid) and then mark the items down at the "sale" price to make people think they are getting a deal.

You know part of the problem is that they could get refinancing of their debt or find a buyer for the company(most likely because no one else could get a loan) I blame the banks for that. Those big banks that got all that bail out money are being so stingy that they are in turn helping keep the economy fail.
Remember...
Pics
Short but sweet!!

#6 User is offline   Jello 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 3087

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:47 AM

yeah definately be careful about what your buying at stores that are closing... They're still gonna try and make a profit and end up marking the original price up before putting it on "sale"

ACen Registration Staff 2006-2009, 2012-2013
Assistant Department Head of Registration 2010 - 2011
Youmacon VAT Staff 2008-2012

#7 User is offline   sammy-45 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 42

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:53 AM

I got some good deals at the stores that already closed, my laptop and a new printer.

Also as someone who has worked at a store that was closing I can tell you that no they do not mark up the prices then mark them down. They work with a liquidation company that works to sell everything you have for the most amount of money they can get- but they do not make the prices higher and then mark them down.

Just make sure that you register your products with the manufacture so that you get that warranty because the store warranty wont be any good.
Staff from 2003 to 2010. Currently Retired.

Blessed are the cracked:
for it is they who let in the light!

Go Cubs!!!!GO BEARS!!!!

#8 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:25 AM

I'm going to try and go to Circuit City today, if the one by me is still open, and see if they have any good stuff left. I know my mom tried while I was away at college, but maybe they'll have some anime left or games. :3

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#9 User is offline   wmcnair370 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 18056

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:38 AM

View Postredx1, on Jan 18 2009, 12:23 AM, said:

Well we all know the culprit of this...

The evil Best Buy!

Disagree. The culprit was management who got rid of the career circuit city employee making a commission, and replaced him with a minimum wage employee. Go into a place like ABT Electronics and compare that with CC and BB. No comparison. In these time ABT is going to beat the both of them because of service.

#10 User is offline   szwrld 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8938

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:58 AM

i'm going up there now ^_^.
best buy does price matching... we'll see if they honor circuit city's prices.

#11 User is offline   jsieczkar 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17116

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:26 PM

The prices were really nothing to cheer about, New Egg or Tiger Direct were way cheaper still and some of Best Buy's prices were lower then what Circuit City. I never Liked Circuit City, the stores were layed out so poorly and everything was very hard to find. I was building a home entertainment system for a friend and didn't order cables (ops) I ran out to CC to get the cables I needed only to find that there was no cable section. I had to go through Audio, video, computer, and electronics to get the cables. I could have walked into Best Buy gone to the cable section got all the cables I needed in a third of the time. It was kinda ok when the staff knew what they were doing, but when they were all replaced by high school students the place went down hill.
2008-2009 IRT - Callsign JR
2010 IRT Dispatch - Callsign JR
2011-Present Industry Relations Manager

#12 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:34 PM

View Postjsieczkar, on Jan 18 2009, 12:26 PM, said:

The prices were really nothing to cheer about, New Egg or Tiger Direct were way cheaper still and some of Best Buy's prices were lower then what Circuit City. I never Liked Circuit City, the stores were layed out so poorly and everything was very hard to find. I was building a home entertainment system for a friend and didn't order cables (ops) I ran out to CC to get the cables I needed only to find that there was no cable section. I had to go through Audio, video, computer, and electronics to get the cables. I could have walked into Best Buy gone to the cable section got all the cables I needed in a third of the time. It was kinda ok when the staff knew what they were doing, but when they were all replaced by high school students the place went down hill.

Agreed. Circuit City was actually my first employer when I was in high school! The managers really didn't know what they were doing (which is natural in almost all retail stores... <_< ) and the shelves were ALWAYS messy and nothing was organized right. Everytime I had a 9 hour shift all I would do was organize the DVD's or video games because you couldnt find a damn thing! Their 'deals' weren't that great and the other employees were well, in my store they were @$$holes. Seriously. I was new and I know quite a bit about video games and the guys that worked there would never take me seriously and they would treat me pretty badly, but in small ways...like on my second day they werent working and came up acting like customers and being real pricks about things and throwing things around and blaming it on me. I just brushed it off, but they were really immature. As far as all those people losing their jobs, I feel so bad about it, but hey! They knew it was coming. I was supposed to be part time and not seasonal and was trained waaay before the seasonal people came in and after the first of the year they laid me off. I was pretty pissed off but oh well. I found a better job (but that was 3 years ago)
ACen 2017 LINEUP
Pidge-Voltron
Newt Scamander-FBAWTFT
Neo - RWBY
Flemeth - DA
MC-Mysme

#13 User is offline   Professor_Hojo @_@ 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:15 PM

Maybe ill just go to Game Stop then if nothing is spectacuarly cheaper...

I remember getting most of the Pokemon GBA games for 20 dollars brand new though ^__^ But the DVDs and CDs were a MESS. I have very rarely heard any one say anything good about them.

#14 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 20031

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:42 PM

View PostSa-chan, on Jan 18 2009, 01:34 PM, said:

Agreed. Circuit City was actually my first employer when I was in high school! The managers really didn't know what they were doing (which is natural in almost all retail stores... <_< ) and the shelves were ALWAYS messy and nothing was organized right. Everytime I had a 9 hour shift all I would do was organize the DVD's or video games because you couldnt find a damn thing! Their 'deals' weren't that great and the other employees were well, in my store they were @$$holes. Seriously. I was new and I know quite a bit about video games and the guys that worked there would never take me seriously and they would treat me pretty badly, but in small ways...like on my second day they werent working and came up acting like customers and being real pricks about things and throwing things around and blaming it on me. I just brushed it off, but they were really immature. As far as all those people losing their jobs, I feel so bad about it, but hey! They knew it was coming. I was supposed to be part time and not seasonal and was trained waaay before the seasonal people came in and after the first of the year they laid me off. I was pretty pissed off but oh well. I found a better job (but that was 3 years ago)

That is so true. Sounds a lot like my Circuit City experiences. The selection was always a lot better at Best Buy and at times the prices were better too. I also enjoyed being in the Best Buy stores with the great layouts and awesome selection of, well everything. If our economy was in better shape I think CC might of had a chance to survive. Right now with all of the big companies (and small ones) it's survival of the fittest.
~~

#15 User is offline   Demon Slayer 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 5413

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:04 PM

Seriously?! They just BUILT a new one by my house not a year ago! Hopefully it turns into something cool and worthwhile. Maybe I can lobby for a Sweet Tomatoes or some nice retail shop.

I'm going to check out the sales to see if I can get a 4-in-1 printer for cheap. My computer deserves a new printer.

Oh lol, I just looked at the sales paper for Office Max as compared to Circuit City. Office Max is selling the same printer for like $35 bucks less. Psssh.
My name's Mary, and I am a student from Chicago studying in Canada.
Facebook Cosplay.Com
---------------------------------------------------
Anime Midwest 2012
Yzma (The Emperor's New Groove), Jane Porter (Disney's Tarzan), probably Belle

#16 User is offline   szwrld 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:21 PM

yeah... 10% off is not worth it.

View PostDemon Slayer, on Jan 18 2009, 11:04 PM, said:

Seriously?! They just BUILT a new one by my house not a year ago! Hopefully it turns into something cool and worthwhile. Maybe I can lobby for a Sweet Tomatoes or some nice retail shop.

sweet tomatoes = delicious. I drive for about a half hour just to get to the one around my house ^_^

#17 User is offline   Demon Slayer 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:23 PM

I drive, like, an HOUR to get to the Sweet Tomatoes... xD Either Schaumburg or... or... I dunno, somewhere in a Northern Suburb on Willow Road.

Either way it is TOO far and they should build one right there. xD Then, heck, I could walk every day if I wanted to (not that I would, but I COULD).
Facebook Cosplay.Com
Anime Midwest 2012

#18 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:56 PM

My town was supposed to get a brand new Circuit City this spring/summer. The building is actually almost done with the construction and everything. XP Now I wonder what will go in it once it's finished.

Hopefully a Barnes and Noble; my town seriously has NO bookstores. If anyone wants to go to a bookstore, you have to drive a half-hour to 40 minutes north to go to Barnes and Noble or to the mall where they have Waldenbooks and it gets annoying. And the building is plenty big enough for a B+N; they can easily fit right in there and will get plenty of business since it's in a great location.
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (60%; Fairy Tail)
Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series), Pearl (100%; Steven Universe)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#19 User is offline   Moogle_21 

• Art and Publications ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2191

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:22 AM

Liquidation companies have been known to raise prices before they mark them down. Over the holiday season, the company that liquidated Linens and Things got in big trouble for doing it. All the good stuff usually goes first though.

I used to love going to circuit city and getting hard to find video games, because no one ever shopped there. At least at the one by me that is.
Senior Manager of Sales
Anime Central 2011 - 2012

#20 User is offline   szwrld 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:41 PM

View PostDemon Slayer, on Jan 19 2009, 03:23 AM, said:

I drive, like, an HOUR to get to the Sweet Tomatoes... xD Either Schaumburg or... or... I dunno, somewhere in a Northern Suburb on Willow Road.

Either way it is TOO far and they should build one right there. xD Then, heck, I could walk every day if I wanted to (not that I would, but I COULD).

well it would be about 45 if it was schaumburg ^_^. I go to the one i Lombard but i would kill for one around here... i'm actually going there this weekend ^_^

#21 User is offline   Professor_Hojo @_@ 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:35 PM

Yeah, there was only 10% off video games...lame! 20% crappy music too. I went to gamestop across the street and got Luigi's Mansion and Gran Turismo 4 instead. And i have leftover cash for food! Yay food and cheap used games!

#22 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 7072
  • Location:Mississippi then New Jersey. Might make ACen 2018 :D

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:33 PM

i was fapping happy over the USB drives they had for sale! 4gigs for $9!!!!! i bought 8 and a USB extension connector (it had 8 USB ports on it). I combined them to make what i call the GO FORCE JUMP DRIVE *masked angsty teens dressed as superheros weilding different USB drives and clad in five basic colors appear with a mecha made of flash drives*
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

#23 User is offline   Imaurel 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 16336

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:00 AM

The sales sucked D8 Only up to 30%, most at 10%, and probably with the prices jacked up beforehand! We bought two CD's xD;
:~~~~~Galleries~~~~~:
www.damiset.deviantart.com
www.mangabullet.com/imaurel/profile
imaurel.webs.com
:~~~~~Joined~~~~~:
Pocky Brigade - Pocky Sabotuer
Spam Squad Member!
:~~~~~ACEN Exhibit Hall Staffer - Year 1~~~~~:

#24 User is offline   Moogle_21 

• Art and Publications ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2191

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:26 PM

The deals won't get good for a while, and by then all the cool stuff will be gone. I'd try to rack up on the displays ^^, papa wants a plasma.
Senior Manager of Sales
Anime Central 2011 - 2012

#25 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:34 AM

Liquid sales always suck at the beginning. You may find the occasional good deal but they are far and few. The sad thing is the people who go in uninformed and wind up spending more then they could have done at other stores/online.

The only thing I really miss is the chance to do price matches at other retailers from CC's ads. I had to do that for Valkryia Chronicles since they didn't have any in stock at two different locations because they never got it even though it was in the ad. So I went to Wally World and got it there with a PM.

#26 User is offline   Demon Slayer 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:50 PM

I just bought my new 4-in-1 printer at Office Depot... It was much cheaper even with the 2 year warranty. He he, Circuit City, he he. xD
Facebook Cosplay.Com
Anime Midwest 2012

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users