• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Looking For Otaku Friends looking for anime friends in port huron

#1 User is offline   Haruka 

• Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 19797

Post icon  Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:01 AM

My thirteen year old daughter is a huge fan of Japanese culture and Jap. animation. She is learning the language and likes to make AMV's. She is looking to make some new friends in the Port Huron area do to a move. Please post if you’re interested.

#2 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:31 PM

Aww moving is always hard to do, so I sympathize. Sadly, I don't even know where Port Huron is. Possibly by Lake Huron, but thats just a guess. :rolleyes:

Also I'm 19, and even though I do have a group of friends that are 13-15 (I 'babysat' them in an anime club at a library lol) some parents arent fond of a 19 year old hanging out with 13 year olds. I'm just like an older sister...nothing creepy or anything and I give out great advice about anime and the like ^_^

I do have some advice for your daughter though. You could check out the local libraries and see if they have an anime club (Itseems to be normal now for them to have em now!) and if they don't, check the schools! Its a great way to meet others with the same interests but unfortunately you will always have those annoying fans in them.

Well good luck and have fun with moving...I always despised it. I moved about 5 times in my life. :wacko:
ACen 2017 LINEUP
Pidge-Voltron
Newt Scamander-FBAWTFT
Neo - RWBY
Flemeth - DA
MC-Mysme

#3 User is offline   Haruka 

• Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 19797

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:02 PM

Thanks for the advice we talked to the local library in Port Huron (yes, in michigan) and although they don't have an anime group they will let us start one. So were going to try to get a group going. Yes, moving is hard. I know once our daughter makes some friends she will feel much happier. Our daughter is not very worldly but she is very smart and loves anime. She is learning to speak jap. and makes AMV's. She I'm sure would like as many friend's as she can get, and as long as it's rated PG I don't have a problem with it. She will be home Sunday so I'm sure she will be online then.
Thanks again

View PostSa-chan, on Nov 7 2008, 01:31 PM, said:

Aww moving is always hard to do, so I sympathize. Sadly, I don't even know where Port Huron is. Possibly by Lake Huron, but thats just a guess. :rolleyes:

Also I'm 19, and even though I do have a group of friends that are 13-15 (I 'babysat' them in an anime club at a library lol) some parents arent fond of a 19 year old hanging out with 13 year olds. I'm just like an older sister...nothing creepy or anything and I give out great advice about anime and the like ^_^

I do have some advice for your daughter though. You could check out the local libraries and see if they have an anime club (Itseems to be normal now for them to have em now!) and if they don't, check the schools! Its a great way to meet others with the same interests but unfortunately you will always have those annoying fans in them.

Well good luck and have fun with moving...I always despised it. I moved about 5 times in my life. :wacko:

#4 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:22 PM

View PostHaruka, on Nov 7 2008, 11:02 PM, said:

Thanks for the advice we talked to the local library in Port Huron (yes, in michigan) and although they don't have an anime group they will let us start one. So were going to try to get a group going. Yes, moving is hard. I know once our daughter makes some friends she will feel much happier. Our daughter is not very worldly but she is very smart and loves anime. She is learning to speak jap. and makes AMV's. She I'm sure would like as many friend's as she can get, and as long as it's rated PG I don't have a problem with it. She will be home Sunday so I'm sure she will be online then.
Thanks again

No problem! I make anime music videos and so does my boyfriend. At my college they dropped Japanese so I've had to self teach myself the language (which isnt that difficult if you have the right programs) but as far as my school goes, I'm a french major lol. I hope she makes some friends out there. I didn't start making a lot of friends until the end of senior year (but I've had a few friends since elementary that love anime as well ^_^) but thats because all the kids in my high school were the 'bad kids' basically. I was/still am a nerd XD and forever I will be! Loud and proud.
ACen 2017 LINEUP
Pidge-Voltron
Newt Scamander-FBAWTFT
Neo - RWBY
Flemeth - DA
MC-Mysme

#5 User is offline   Aonele 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 11231

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:55 PM

Wow Haruka you're such a supportive mom o_o I'm amazed lol

Besides what Sa-chan already said, have you/your daughter been to ACen already? Is that how you guys knew this forum, perhaps? If she's never been to an anime convention, you and her should both try it out :]
---Cosplay List 2012---
Will not be attending ;-;

#6 User is offline   Xenida 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 7493

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:35 PM

I know that Michigan has a couple of anime conventions, Youmacon being the biggest. Did you post on their web site?

Also, I don't know if you're coming back to the Chicago area, but we do have quite a few meetups and that's a great way to meet new people. And there are a few people that are young like your daughter, I know one girl is 14 and a few are 15.
Upcoming conventions:
ACEN, AnimeIowa, AWA

ACEN Cosplays:
Seto Kaiba (Yugioh)
Gerard (Fairy Tale)
Gaara or Panda Gaara
Hatsuharu (Fruits Basket)

Kakekage Gaara
"With Sand I can do anything"

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked