• This topic is locked

Define Cosplay? this just had to be done

#1 User is offline   sushi_noodle 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 8771

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:31 PM

In term, how do YOU define cosplay. Personally I feel that its one's effort to try and bring there character to life and fully represent thier character as them. I have to admit that I do get a little upset when I see cosplayers out of character or people "cosplay" with something not relating to anime or japanese culture. Iunno thats just how i feel anyone elses thoughts? how do you define it?
Acen 2010 Cosplay lineup

Rydia of the mist FFIV
Cutie honey, Baiken- Guilty Gear, and Momoko Ryugasaki from Kamikaze Girls <3
:)

#2 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 13139

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:35 PM

i define it as dressing in costume as them as best you can, but not acting as them so much. some go crazy with it!

i define it as dressing in costume as them as best you can, but not acting as them so much. some go crazy with it!
Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#3 User is offline   sstwistoffate 

• Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 17283

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:37 PM

To me it's pretty much dressing up in costume and playing the part. You're actually taking something and pulling it into a physical existence. I kinda think of it as a tribute to the character you're portraying. If you do a horrible job, you basically slapped that character in the face. You're representing that person. So when people see you, they should know exactly who you are.

#4 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:39 PM

but where does the acting like come in?
Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#5 User is offline   Aj-chan 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 6981

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:15 PM

Considering the word comes from "costume" (the dressing up part) and "play"..... that's where you get the acting part. It's not dressing up like for Halloween, you're actually trying to emulate your character to the best of your abilities.

IMO

#6 User is offline   TENIME_art 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 18626

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:42 PM

There's a limit to being in character.

If I was with a friend who was in costume, and had to talk to their character the entire time, I'd slap them. "So, how's your girlfriend?" "I don't have a girlfriend! I love all women!" "I know Miroku doesn't have a girlfriend. I'm asking Sam, not Miroku." The same could be said if I were in character, I can imagine it'd get pretty old, pretty fast. (This will be especially true when I and my friend do Storm Shadow & Snake Eyes - SE is mute!)

And, there are some people that just take it too far around perfect strangers. It becomes creepy and annoying. Just because I'm dressed as a ninja, doesn't mean I am one, you moron, nor does it mean that I can or want to "do battle" with you. And, kicking my white clothing with your nasty, dirty feet makes me want to draw my live steel, and do things with it that would make an IRT go "See!? That's why you can't carry that around!!"

I'll occasionally be my character. It's boring if you don't (or to see others who don't), and it makes for bad pictures. But there's a line, and too many cosplayers cross it.

Everything in moderation.

#7 User is offline   Aj-chan 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:48 PM

View PostTENIME_art, on May 22 2008, 04:42 PM, said:

Everything in moderation.

Ding ding ding!

I agree that you don't have to completely be in character from the time you put your costume on til the time you take it off, but for pictures especially I think it's such a waste to just stand there like you don't know why the person is trying to take your picture.

#8 User is offline   TENIME_art 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:55 PM

View PostAj-chan, on May 22 2008, 04:48 PM, said:

it's such a waste to just stand there like you don't know why the person is trying to take your picture.

Ding ding ding, right back atcha!! If you can't strike a little, bitty, teeny tiny pose, why are you in costume?

#9 User is offline   Aj-chan 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:57 PM

:lol: Exactly.

#10 User is offline   TENIME_art 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:01 PM

~_^

But, again, there's going way too far the other way that's possibly worse.

Not sure if I'd rather have a Superman who looks like he could care less to be in a picture with me as Lex Luthor (happened!), or a Superman who's trying to lift me up off the ground by my throat, because he thinks I'm really Lex Luthor. <_<

#11 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:02 PM

but naruto, and some others, naruto being the one isee the most. those cosplayers go to far!

#12 User is offline   nasamufin 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 18273

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:03 PM

I would say..... Attempting to appear exactly like your character and, at times, act like him/her as well. I agree with the not acting all the time - in fact I didn't really act as my character at all, but it was a first time cosplay and it is diffcult to appear angry and wild ALL the time - but once in a while is fun ^_^

I think definitely more than anything, it is enjoying yourself by attempting to honor your favorite character.
Friday: War (Darksiders)
Saturday: "Twilight" Suzuka (Outlaw Star)
Saturday night: Bebe (Persona 3 Social Link)

#13 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:04 PM

i say we have the same view!

#14 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:16 AM

View PostAj-chan, on May 22 2008, 04:15 PM, said:

Considering the word comes from "costume" (the dressing up part) and "play"..... that's where you get the acting part. It's not dressing up like for Halloween, you're actually trying to emulate your character to the best of your abilities.

IMO

^^^
that's my definition ^_^
A-Cen 2016: Friday Early: Hikaru Friday Late: Nightmare Moon Saturday: Wonder Woman Sunday: Hell Girl

A-cen 2015: Sailor Luna (PGSM) //// Fish Mooney //// Anthy //// Fluttershy (MLP:FIM)
A-cen 2014: Angewomon (Digimon) //// Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) //// Hikaru (Angelic Layer)
A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#15 User is offline   SFPrincess 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 3900

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:44 AM

I think cosplay extends across all genres. You can cosplay as X-Men or you can cosplay as Naruto, it's the same difference regardless of where the term originated. BlizzCon is a perfect example where it's still not Halloween -- but you costume (Cos) up your character and then act (play) as them.

I think it's a little weird to cosplay a non-anime/non-Japanese video game character at specifically Anime conventions, but if the costume is badass enough I don't think it matters. ;) (// defends signature)

Oh, and I couldn't agree more with statements about people who don't know why you're taking pictures. Or what's worse are people who actually get frustrated by the number of pictures they get. If you're unhappy getting asked for pictures, go to your room and change out of it. Amirite? ;p
deviantART

7 Years of ACen...
ACen 2011 - Kairi, ACen 2010 - Misao & Aoshi, ACen 2009 - Xianghua & Kilik, ACen 2008 - Refia (Freelancer) & The Archangel Tyrael , ACen 2007 - Kagura Sohma & Finkle's Lava Dredger, ACen 2006 - Lady Magdaria & Prince of Persia, ACen 2005 - Beatrix & Edge

#16 User is offline   TENIME_art 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:34 AM

You are correct, sir.

That's why I dress up. To get my picture taken! ^_^

#17 User is offline   Aj-chan 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:53 AM

View PostTENIME_art, on May 22 2008, 05:01 PM, said:

~_^

But, again, there's going way too far the other way that's possibly worse.

Not sure if I'd rather have a Superman who looks like he could care less to be in a picture with me as Lex Luthor (happened!), or a Superman who's trying to lift me up off the ground by my throat, because he thinks I'm really Lex Luthor. <_<

:lol: This is a very good example of needing to find a happy medium. ^_^

View PostKasin, on May 22 2008, 05:02 PM, said:

but naruto, and some others, naruto being the one isee the most. those cosplayers go to far!

Not saying this is exclusive.... but a lot of Naruto cosplayers are also the younger crowd, I think that also contributes to it (again, not exclusive by any means, just a general observation).

#18 User is offline   rei-chan 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 6706

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:55 AM

An obsession in which dressing up as your favorite characters is involved XDD
Cosplays for ACen '09 [subject to change] :
Nozomu Itoshiki - Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Naoto Shirogane and/or Serph - Persona 4/Digital Devil Saga
Yoite - Nabari no Ou (possibly)

#19 User is offline   Vest Man! 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 18716

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:09 AM

View PostAj-chan, on May 22 2008, 04:15 PM, said:

IMO

Hmm...Well I go all out for Halloween too, I act the part and everything. As Capt'n Jack Sparrow I was him, for Eric for the Phantom of the Opera, I sang a little just to appease some people. As a Beatle I sang, Scarecrow, I danced, a Hobbit I sang like mad and played saxophone. The point I trying to make is that cosplay doesn't necessarily involve acting the part, many people especially first-timers are not comfortable with acting the part. But that is my opinion.

This is Vest Man! over and out.

#20 User is offline   Aj-chan 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:27 AM

Wow, I commend you for being entertaining even on Halloween then. I made that comparison because I rarely find people who dress up and act like anything except to do generic zombie or ghost noises. ^_^

#21 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:14 PM

View PostAj-chan, on May 23 2008, 11:53 AM, said:

:lol: This is a very good example of needing to find a happy medium. ^_^

Not saying this is exclusive.... but a lot of Naruto cosplayers are also the younger crowd, I think that also contributes to it (again, not exclusive by any means, just a general observation).

trues!

now the getting mad aBOUT PICTURES THING.

the ones who i see getting mad are the girls who wear almost not there cosplays and get mad at guys taking photos.

i mean leeloo, gonna get pics, if your wearing a silver bikini after soap bubble, your gonna get pics and etc.
i mean you dress in either a skimpy or a very well done cosplay for a reason, to get picture and be that character you like so muc, and guess what others like that character too.

#22 User is offline   R1KKu 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 601

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:57 PM

I kinda consider cosplay as kind of an art form. You know, you spend hard money and time working with various materials and learning new techniques. It's a great way to improve creativity. It's also a great way to have fun, meet new people, and be someone else for a day or 2.

It's definately a step up from the typical Halloween costume.
I have zombies and I'm not afraid to use them!!

#23 User is offline   AnimalLover79 

• Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 12299

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:40 PM

ya I mean I was Leeloo this year and I totally understood getting my picture taken, I knew that I had it coming. The only time I said stop was when I was mobbed for 10 minutes straight and I was like...."uh...I gotta get going guys" ^^ but I really agree, girls that dress scimpy and get mad about pictures really piss me off

#24 User is offline   Ichigo Bordeaux 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 18727

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:01 PM

I think costume is the most important part, really -- that should always come first, and most cosplayers I know seem to have this attitude. As far as acting like your character goes, you should at least make the effort to be a little bit like your character, but it's asking quite a lot to ask that someone be completely in character the whole time while they're dressed up. (Particularly if you're cosplaying a really seriously character... You're at a con, so it's okay to smile and look like you're having fun sometimes. <3) But for pictures, you should definitely try to seem like your character, no doubt. And as has been stated (like most of this), it should also be at least in some part as an homage to your character. So, do your best for them! <3

I really don't get the people who dress up as non-anime/non-Japanese characters either... It's an anime convention, that ought to be the focus. If you wanted to dress up as something else, why didn't you go to some other sort of convention? (I don't know, maybe there aren't conventions for some things, but still.) Either way, it's not really my business, people can do what they want, I'm just personally not a big fan of it. "Cosplay" is a term that originated in Japan, I don't know, seems right to use it to describe dressing up as Japanse stuff.

#25 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 8785

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:24 AM

I think knowing your character is important when you cosplay, and I believe that cosplaying, like you said, brings that character to life piece by piece. You really get to see what makes up their physical appearance and through the hunt for reference pictures, video clips, etc. you develop a deep sense of attachment with your character. To me, the construction of the character is significant because then you understand what it takes to "be" a character for a day or two, and it elevates your level of appreciation all the more for your character.
=)
~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D
**Need help making something? Check this guide for tutorials!**

Hubby: '07: Elite Beat Agent ||
'08: Makoto Shishio ||'09: Cobra Commander ||'10: Golbez ||'11: Cats ||'12: Makoto Shishio
Me: '07: Cloaked Zelda ||'08: Myself =P ||'09: Queen Rutela ||'10: Fi (Skyward Sword) ||'11: Tali'Zorah ||'12: ??

#26 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:20 AM

View Postsimonsaz3, on May 24 2008, 08:24 AM, said:

I think knowing your character is important when you cosplay, and I believe that cosplaying, like you said, brings that character to life piece by piece. You really get to see what makes up their physical appearance and through the hunt for reference pictures, video clips, etc. you develop a deep sense of attachment with your character. To me, the construction of the character is significant because then you understand what it takes to "be" a character for a day or two, and it elevates your level of appreciation all the more for your character.
=)

here here!!
A-Cen 2016: Friday Early: Hikaru Friday Late: Nightmare Moon Saturday: Wonder Woman Sunday: Hell Girl

A-cen 2015: Sailor Luna (PGSM) //// Fish Mooney //// Anthy //// Fluttershy (MLP:FIM)
A-cen 2014: Angewomon (Digimon) //// Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) //// Hikaru (Angelic Layer)
A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)

#27 User is offline   Seph 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11372

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:24 AM

ok. let me ask everyone a question, since we are on the subject

if i were to build a transformer costume. that actually transforms.. would that fit in at an anime con? would that be cosplay?

edit: lol.. i just noticed.. i am now marked as staff photographer :P

#28 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:05 PM

I think it would. Transformers IS anime. And I'd love to see another transforming cosplay. ^_^
The one at the masquerade was great ^_^

#29 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:08 PM

Transformers!!! more then meets the eye!!!!!!!!!!!!

#30 User is offline   Seph 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11372

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:11 PM

View PostCrimsonAnime, on May 24 2008, 02:05 PM, said:

I think it would. Transformers IS anime. And I'd love to see another transforming cosplay. ^_^
The one at the masquerade was great ^_^

now i just have to figure out how to put this thing together :P

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users