Anime Central Forums: Two Concurrent Soap Bubbles? - Anime Central Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Two Concurrent Soap Bubbles? Simple solution to a growing problem. (Read with an open mind)

#31 User is offline   DJ Amaya 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 17013

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:50 PM

View PostCuddles116, on May 21 2008, 12:09 PM, said:

About the possible issues of being understaffed perhaps whomever is incharge of putting together the staff/volunteer page could have a look at AX's page. (Anime expo's page is a very good examplge of a good sell...yes you have to sell the benefits of volunteering to people rather than having some super bland page that states none of the perks you get for working your butt off lol) A more informed crowd could lead to more staff members.

I don't think it's time for a new DH at all. I'm sure MANY solutions have been looked at in the past and there are obviously reasons a simple solution has not been pursued. I really hate when someone with no idea of inner workings goes to an extreme.

Minus the liquor since that itself is a whole new mess of problems (If I recall all of my Reactor experiences there is ALWAYS property damage, getting 6,000+ people sh!tfaced at Acen probably isn't the best idea, there will be a lot more things that are needed, liquor liability coverage for one and then all the extra costs of getting liquor servers/hiring a catering type party, plus additional people needed to take money whether it be for liquor tickets etc.) though what about making the Soap bubble 18+ after hours?

Why not take 1 year to test run what AX does at their dances? The have almost 4 times the amount of people going to their con and if they can impliment it it should be possible for a smaller con. Overall the first few hours are all ages (though I would suggest making it 17 and under) and then after a certain time it is 18+ can go in with photo id it would probably help breakup some of the line since in theory people under 18 would be getting into line early to get in and then those 18 and over wouldn't be getting into line for another few hours. Overall since I believe Rosemont curfew is the same as Chicago's on weekends at 11p.m. the dance would go 18+. If you follow AX's dance times then the 1st 3 hours of the dance would be under 18 and then it would probably take 30 minutes to clear the room and another 30 to refill it and then the last 3 hours at 18+. Since the soap bubble tends to run longer than the hours could be adjusted to be even or 18+ could just be there longer since in theory older people would be up later. While this may tick off some under 18 people who want to party til 4 am it would help with the lines. Also as a perk it would really help me not potentionally talking to jailbait -.-

I'm a new DJ at Anime-Expo, and after experiencing ACEN's Soap bubble, I must say that Soap bubble is bigger, and more fun than Anime-Expo's. Really I think regardless of the numbers, ACEN is a convention that easily rivals AX in size. I wish AX's Dance were like soap bubble, and all the stuff ACEN can do are things that because of rules, and policies, we can't do like that.

The idea of having one big show is great, as compared to running significantly smaller shows every day (like AX). In my humble opinion, i'm going to recommend that we do more things like ACEN at AX dance, and I know we wouldn't be able to do it like ACEN's staff. The Security works so hard, and is what holds the convention together, and keeps it out of trouble. They deserve so much praise.

I just hope I get a chance to attend again in the future, because ACEN's soap bubble, and the convention as a whole are really something to be proud of.

-AMAYA

#32 User is offline   Weighted Companion Cube 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 18530

Posted 21 May 2008 - 04:21 PM

Dance not big for all to enter.

People unhappy waiting in rain.

People not like the being shouted at.

And Anime Reactor's problems stated above had nothing to do with people management, but poor implementation of the sound equipment and staffing. Yes I think it would take more people to do soap Bubble, but honestly it sounds like a good idea. The current model leaves people out in the cold (in this year's case, literally) and the solution of arriving earlier is not a salient, customer-service answer that will endear people to this con. And to paying customers, that's what they expect. Clearly you cannot satisfy everyone, but from what I saw of the lines, a lot of people were not satisfied.

The fire code is going to play havok with any space available in Chicagoland. So what's teh solution? If the two party solution is so unpleasant of a concept for many of the powers that be... well... and I know I'll get ripped on this... make it a goal to have everyone through the space used for pre-registration on Saturday by 6 p.m., then move the equipment out and get yer Bubble on in that space. The dealer's room could be safely monitored and people kept at bay. Party's over, get some computers and the queues set back up. No lines at registration, bigger space for par-tay? Dancing on Linecon's grave? Priceless?

Sure hard linoleum may cut down on the crowd surfing, but frankly that isn't a good idea in any space..

#33 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 1441

Posted 21 May 2008 - 04:51 PM

View PostDJ Amaya, on May 21 2008, 04:50 PM, said:

I'm a new DJ at Anime-Expo, and after experiencing ACEN's Soap bubble, I must say that Soap bubble is bigger, and more fun than Anime-Expo's. Really I think regardless of the numbers, ACEN is a convention that easily rivals AX in size. I wish AX's Dance were like soap bubble, and all the stuff ACEN can do are things that because of rules, and policies, we can't do like that.

The idea of having one big show is great, as compared to running significantly smaller shows every day (like AX). In my humble opinion, i'm going to recommend that we do more things like ACEN at AX dance, and I know we wouldn't be able to do it like ACEN's staff. The Security works so hard, and is what holds the convention together, and keeps it out of trouble. They deserve so much praise.

I just hope I get a chance to attend again in the future, because ACEN's soap bubble, and the convention as a whole are really something to be proud of.

-AMAYA

Thanks Amaya for telling your side from another convention point of view. by the way your definitely on the roster for next year you killed this year and i definitely want you to spin for a little longer maybe do the 2 sets as we had discussed.
Allen Castillo

#34 User is offline   yashaface 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 17330

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:24 PM

I feel like I should put some input here.

Bathroom passes have been mentioned in multiple threads, and yes, I have voiced my support for them. I agree it's not fair to have to leave the event to go to the bathroom to not be able to get back in, however it's not so simple as handing a pass out, since some attendees abuse privileges. Therefore, we can't promise anything for sure, but Allen & I will have to discuss this further (perhaps when we get back into planning mode for 2009).

I can assure you that Allen doesn't like the fact that people have to wait in line for the event. If he could have it his way (fire marshall aside), he'd prefer to have everyone allowed in. So I think he also might be considering that he'd like those waiting in line to have a chance to come in as soon as others leave.

Regarding two dances & those who think Allen should be replaced:

There's just something so awesome about having an event as large as the Soap Bubble at ACEN, you can't deny it. We already do have two dances, although the Underground Groove is smaller. And U.G. is planned so that it plays a different genre of music to aim to make everyone happy. Sure, hardcore/gabber isn't for everyone, but you can't deny that it definitely has a following... and that is why it was back for a second year.

And yes, I'll agree that Allen doesn't have perfect grammar when he types, but he is a really nice guy in person and has done an excellent job at pulling together the largest party any anime con has ever seen—while dealing with the fire marshal—and in the end that's what matters. For all of you who were at Soap Bubble this year: despite the long line, did you not have a good time?

Despite it all, I really do appreciate all of your feedback, and I've noted it for future discussion amongst staff.
* yasha * � Production ADH � Anime Central 2008

#35 User is offline   BenedictKenny 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 6906

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:37 PM

I just want to know who these techno dj's were that I missed.
I hit people while wearing gloves.

#36 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 1441

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:55 PM

View PostBenedictKenny, on May 21 2008, 06:37 PM, said:

I just want to know who these techno dj's were that I missed.

Most people don't know the difference between techno, house, Drum and Bass or electronic music in general. so they just lump all you guys as "Techno" DJ's.
Allen Castillo

#37 User is offline   Kasemei 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 5705

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:46 PM

View PostWeighted Companion Cube, on May 21 2008, 10:21 PM, said:

Dance not big for all to enter.

People unhappy waiting in rain.

People not like the being shouted at.

And Anime Reactor's problems stated above had nothing to do with people management, but poor implementation of the sound equipment and staffing. Yes I think it would take more people to do soap Bubble, but honestly it sounds like a good idea. The current model leaves people out in the cold (in this year's case, literally) and the solution of arriving earlier is not a salient, customer-service answer that will endear people to this con. And to paying customers, that's what they expect. Clearly you cannot satisfy everyone, but from what I saw of the lines, a lot of people were not satisfied.

The fire code is going to play havok with any space available in Chicagoland. So what's teh solution? If the two party solution is so unpleasant of a concept for many of the powers that be... well... and I know I'll get ripped on this... make it a goal to have everyone through the space used for pre-registration on Saturday by 6 p.m., then move the equipment out and get yer Bubble on in that space. The dealer's room could be safely monitored and people kept at bay. Party's over, get some computers and the queues set back up. No lines at registration, bigger space for par-tay? Dancing on Linecon's grave? Priceless?

Sure hard linoleum may cut down on the crowd surfing, but frankly that isn't a good idea in any space..

Actually, having the dance in the convention center isn't that bad an idea. The only problem I see is again, staffing. However, since it is such an open space, what could potentially be implemented is that platforms are set up specifically so that IRT can monitor the crowd. Instead of having the two platforms given to random dancers, more of them could be set up for IRT.

There was a school there with their prom this year. There was also some Indian ceremony, proving that there is more space in the con center that we didn't take. If it is at all possible, maybe that can be arrarnged early, and then badge prices could be raised early if needed?
Floating around the forums every so often.

Cosplays for 2011: Ciel Phantomhive Ballgown from Kuroshitsuji, Toph Bei Fong Fire Nation Disguise from Avatar: The Last Airbender, Revolutionary Girl Utena Schoolgirl outfit, and Meiling Hong from the Touhou Project.

#38 User is offline   Weighted Companion Cube 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:56 PM

Here's why I think the dual-use of the registration space works. I don't think we'd need additional flooring space, because I think as far as set up the IRT is focused and experienced in that area.

1. A good deal of staff is already utilized to transform the Masquerade's many, many chairs into open space. So right there I think we have a set up of staffing. Having set up events in high schools and in Six Flags and in theaters, queues generally are quicker to strike than chairs.

2. Set up the platform early.

3. If Registration is salient in its quite necessary improvements, shutting it down early would free up (one would hope) some staffers that could help with crowd control.

4. Emergency services would have a much less difficult time at the convention center. With a greater amount of people diverted from the Hyatt, it makes those oh-so-inevitable trips to the center lobby a bit easier on IRT and the EMT's. And if (forbid) a situation arose at the Registration/Bubble area, you would have access to that secondary loading zone, which would be a lot easier on ambulatory services instead of navigating bus shuttles, traffic, and drunk otaku.

5. If you needed to have that damned line, you could have it indoors.

6. Air circulation would be greatly improved by the wider dimensions, which would incfrease attendance while hopefully limiting temperature increases.

7. The fire marshall hasn't had to regulate registration yet (or if he/she has, it's new to me)

8. Boldest idea, I forget the layout, but weren't bathrooms in that part of the convention center? Meaning you wouldn't have to bring people to the bathroom, you'd have the bathrooms brought to the people? At least, I think they were closer than the 100 yards from the Main Ballroom to the toilets?

And as I've stated in other threads, I do think that the current level of staffing seems taxed to its limit by the hours and size of the convention. The time requirements keep away candidates and strain the current staff's patience. I think it puts a lot of people on edge, and there has to be a better way.

#39 User is offline   Caerulea Windseeker 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 18564

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:55 PM

Dancing on LineCon's grave sounds like a good idea. The concern I'd have is that the car show, dealer's room, and artist alley are all separated from registration by mere curtains. So, I'm not sure if it would be more work or less for I.R.T. to watch to make sure no drunken ravers throw up on the custom paint jobs. ^^;;;

I have no idea what the capacity of the ballrooms in the con center go for or how big they are. I'm sure they can accommodate large groups of people (I know from a friend of mine that Indian weddings are typically quite large, so the presence of one this weekend means they do have some capacity) but maybe someone more familiar with them can tell us if they have the kind of capacity ACen needs.

#40 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:58 PM

I can tell you all that I helped a good number of people that came to be asking to be let back in because they had to use the bathroom. However this was much earlier in the event before I was a bit more mobile. I apologize personally to those that did not get inside the event in a timely manner, I did my best with IRT to make sure people could get in and out.

However, I too ask that the discussion and such on how it can be made better be moved to the topic that Allen requested, that way we in Main can be on the same page with Allen when we try to work out how to throw even better parties for all of y'all next year. :)
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#41 User is offline   Alysia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 237

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:46 AM

View PostAlkaren Hyralt, on May 21 2008, 11:58 PM, said:

I can tell you all that I helped a good number of people that came to be asking to be let back in because they had to use the bathroom. However this was much earlier in the event before I was a bit more mobile. I apologize personally to those that did not get inside the event in a timely manner, I did my best with IRT to make sure people could get in and out.

However, I too ask that the discussion and such on how it can be made better be moved to the topic that Allen requested, that way we in Main can be on the same page with Allen when we try to work out how to throw even better parties for all of y'all next year. :)

Ok, we are listening to suggestions.
One problem with using the Reg area-Union labor has to set up and remove those lines, which means lots and lots of money that we could otherwise spend on improving reg, getting guests, etc. So we need to carefully assess how we handle these things.

#42 User is offline   Smeet 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 17115

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:17 AM

Now, I'll admit that I didn't even attempt to go to the Soap Bubble. I was basically wandering around, lost, the whole convention. xD;

But I see that a lot of people are complaining about lack of bathroom facilities in the dance.

Would it be feasible to block off a hallway or something to give the Soap Bubble attendees access to a bathroom? If the path to the bathroom is blocked off, you wouldn't have to worry about people being able to sneak in, or worry about keeping track of who's leaving and who's trying to come back in. If the only way for people to actually leave the dance is through the central entrance, it should be pretty easy to let more people in as other people leave, and no one would be leaving for a bathroom break.

Again, I didn't go to the Soap Bubble, and I've no idea of the layout around it, so I don't have a clue as to whether this would work or not. Just thought I'd throw in my two cents while I was here.
Leader of the Raccoon City Zombie Squad.

#43 User is offline   Juri 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 4

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:29 AM

View PostKasemei, on May 21 2008, 07:46 PM, said:

Actually, having the dance in the convention center isn't that bad an idea. The only problem I see is again, staffing. However, since it is such an open space, what could potentially be implemented is that platforms are set up specifically so that IRT can monitor the crowd. Instead of having the two platforms given to random dancers, more of them could be set up for IRT.

There was a school there with their prom this year. There was also some Indian ceremony, proving that there is more space in the con center that we didn't take. If it is at all possible, maybe that can be arrarnged early, and then badge prices could be raised early if needed?

I believe we are looking into getting that space, but it all depends on whether or not it's already booked. The convention center is often booked multiple years in advance.
2008-2009: Production ADH - Webmaster
2003-2005: Production DH
2002: Newsletter staff

o hay a deviantart account

#44 User is offline   The Dam Kim 

• Retired Staff
  • Pip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 1831

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:49 PM

View PostWeighted Companion Cube, on May 21 2008, 05:21 PM, said:

So what's teh solution? If the two party solution is so unpleasant of a concept for many of the powers that be... well... and I know I'll get ripped on this... make it a goal to have everyone through the space used for pre-registration on Saturday by 6 p.m., then move the equipment out and get yer Bubble on in that space. The dealer's room could be safely monitored and people kept at bay. Party's over, get some computers and the queues set back up. No lines at registration, bigger space for par-tay? Dancing on Linecon's grave? Priceless?

Oh, this is a wonderful idea, and we've definitely considered it. But there's a reason we've only considered it.

1) The convention center is quite a bit more expensive than the hotels. We'd definitely love the extra space, but we just can't afford it... yet.

2) The convention center doesn't allow us to move a thing once it's in place... not even the stanchions. And again, to get the convention center employees to move it would again be prohibitvely expensive. I think they all go home at night anyway.
+ Adam Kim! +
+ 2010-2012 Assistant Director of Guest Acquisitions +
+ 2009 Int'l Guest Relations Asst Section Chief +
+ 2008-2009 Guest Relations Staff +
+ 2008 Assistant to the Vice Chair +
+ 2007 Convention Operations Staff +
+ 2007 Ops Rep to Convention Committee +
+ 2004-2006 Videogaming Staff +

#45 User is offline   Weighted Companion Cube 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:43 PM

I'm bummed, but that makes a lot of sense, actually. I had no idea it was union labor. Yea, while yer at it, get Shigeru Miyamoto to french a man dressed as a Playstation. It would probably be cheaper. If that's going to be the case, then the largest space is still the main ballroom. There just has to be a way tho. Yes a lot of people were pleased, but man it pissed a lot of people off.

#46 User is offline   Riker 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 17316

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:55 PM

Folks,

Since a lot of people in this thread seem to be absolutely sure that their idea will work and that there is no way that our DHs might have actually considered this possibility in the past, let me suggest something.

If you have ideas for how to make this work and you are convinced they are right, join ACen staff. We need people with fresh ideas. One of two things will happen: either you will be vindicated and your idea will be a great success, or you will understand that there were some reasons you didn't foresee that prevent it from working.
Riker
Night Shift Dispatcher, IRT
Programmer and Network Tech, IT Dept.
Convention Committee Member, Operations Section

Property of SongstressLenne ♥

Orbis Arangiam Nostram Est

#47 User is offline   ExentricSage 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 976

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:23 AM

View PostRedXIII, on May 20 2008, 04:00 PM, said:

The only problem I see with two Soap Bubbles at the same time is there are not enough staff to do such a thing. I am part of IRT and was working the Soap Bubble and we were grossly understaffed. We had staffers from the Morning Shift, Day shift, and even other departments. To have those staffers was like a suicide mission for them, because after Soap Bubble they had either just come off a shift that started at 2pm or they had to be on shift at 6am. If we had enough staffers to do such a thing, that would be wonderful. But unfortunately we don't and my not.

I'm not putting the idea completely down. It's a great idea, but it may not be possible unless it is held on separate nights.

Thanks,
Red XIII

I'm going to staff next year. It sounds like IRT needs people the most, and I want to be in IRT, so I think you can add one more person to your list. I know you'll be needing a lot more, though. I specificaly want to help patrol the Soap Buble because I've heard about the children getting in, and the illegal things that go on.... I want to help prevent these things from happening.

Mug Paris

#48 User is offline   Dogao 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 18531

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:44 AM

View PostRiker, on May 23 2008, 12:55 AM, said:

Folks,

Since a lot of people in this thread seem to be absolutely sure that their idea will work and that there is no way that our DHs might have actually considered this possibility in the past, let me suggest something.

That's a little unfair, wouldn't you say? _ Not a single person has said "THIS IDEA WILL BE 100% SUCCESSFUL GUARANTEED ZOMG." This is the suggestions board. We're suggesting.

Furthermore, if these ideas have all been run through the wringer, tell us why they were rejected. I've made requests of the DH - repeatedly - to tell us WHY this is a bad idea, and gotten only two responses: one that it ruins the "spirit" of the party, and one from a DJ that "it shouldn't because I was at this other con one time with alcohol and no security and it sucked there."

If you'd like me to shut up, pieces of actual INFORMATION go a long way. It didn't work at another con? Why is that? Was it because of poor implementation or is it just a bad idea? How exactly is it you get two longer lines by splitting one giant line into two pieces? How MUCH extra staffing, equipment, IRT would you need? Would it take fewer people to maintain two smaller dances than one large dance plus one gigantic line? What's it cost to get another room of comparable size? Is the space even available at the hotel? What about the cost of equipment? Water? What if the dances were in two different buildings? What about two different hotels?

Although I have to warn you: if this brings up additional problems, we might actually try to solve those, too.

You don't need me on the staff to get fresh ideas. That's what this board is for. I have 8 years' experience in customer service, four in management of large groups of people, and even a couple event-plannings under my belt. At this point I'm not even sure I'll be attending Acen '09, but I'm going to make darn sure I do my best to do whatever I can to help. Because this isn't about who's right, it's about fixing what is wrong with our convention.

I'm still waiting for a response that indicates this idea has been realistically considered and rejected for legitimate reasons. What I have seen is evidence of a bunch of people who really like having bragging rights to the Biggest Anime Dance Evar, even though it means a few dozen paying congoers - more every year, it seems - might be mistreated for entirely avoidable reasons.

PLEASE, prove me wrong.

#49 User is offline   Weighted Companion Cube 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:22 AM

Explaining reasons for decisions is not the luxury of being on IRT, in most cases it is expected as a necessity towards upset customers.

My idea? Had the icky problem of union labor, so that's out. No harm, no foul. Won't pursue it to the ends of the earth. Valid reasoning showed me why it can't be pursued right now.

I think that if MAPS invites feedback (a necessity in a fan-run con) then the feedback should be able to squelch an idea in a mature fashion that lets people know in a mature manner. That doesn't mean they'll listen (this is the internet, after all) but it's the best approach you can hope for. Unfortunately, in the cases of a lot of things, it appears that staff gets hostile towards certain ideas and doesn't adequately explain their rationale. That's backwards logic: people don't want to work with people who do not explain their experiences. That doesn't get people wanting to involve themselves in multiple hour shifts. Instead, explaining the rationale and experience shows that you are on top of things, that you're receptive to newer ideas, and that will lead to more people wanting to be on IRT. That doesn't mean you let people always get their way, it means you deliver candor to paying customers, and show them why they want to be on IRT. It's a chronic problem. Yes some people fly off the handle, and that's the internet, but the forum goers and the majority of the people here aren't watching the original poster, they are watching YOUR reaction. I don't think a lot of the staff are mindful of this. The ones who are? Phenomenal.

In many instances, that candor is lacking.

You don't want to work at a store where you received poor customer service. You want to work at a store you like and feel you are a part of something larger. Having been in management and hiring, I can assure you no one wants to work at a place that made them upset.

I will say that in other parts of this forum (as well as this thread), I've had some ideas talked about in a rational manner, and it looks like some might work, others not so much. That makes me want to join IRT. In a lot of things, especially under suggestions/gripes, there is, if not hostility, then there is irritability. As it is the quite visible center for complaints, that's not the way to inspire people to join in, or feel their concerns are valid. If joining staff is the answer to wanting your concerns addressed, then Wal Mart would be the most coveted job in America.

Hint: It's very not.

#50 User is offline   XCMNate 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 17840

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:55 PM

Ok, so I actually read ever post before I posted and this is my humble opinion.

First, why are some of us con-goers bashing the people who obviously dedicate much of their time and power to give us the luxury to have a good time and are (probabaly) much more experianced than us? Have you ever planned a dance with 6,000 people (thats my entire highschool....times 2.5) and made it a sucess?

Sure, there was a line. And you know what? I was in that line too. I waited 2 and a half hours along with everyone else. Let me tell you somthing though. It was not only worth it, but I enjoyed it. Because I was at ACen and surrounded by friends and a couple thousand people with similar interests. Ya it was rainy, get a hoodie and a umbrella or come back in a few hours.

For those bashing the music, 2 things. A) Whoever said you need to learn your Genres hit the nail on the head. "Techno" is one genre, and the other music you like or dislike is catagorized in other genres. B) The Underground Groove may not be your "thing," but thats cause your probably mainstream and don't like "Underground" music. (Not saying the Hardcore/Gabber is underground, but it is for more "hardcore" techno-heads.)

I personally don't like the idea of seperating the SB. There are some positives though. I do like the idea of having two types of music going at the same time (ugh, trance,) and it would cut the line down. But think of all the repercussions. First, one reason the Soap Bubble is so amazing is because the sheer number of people in that room. It wouldn't be nearly the same if there were only 2000 people around you. Also, I think if we did that, it would confuse alot of people. Secondly, it would split the DJs. I have a feeling that HeavyGrinder and Greg would be in seperate rooms, because there styles are considerably different, BUT I LOVE THEM BOTH! That wouldn't be fun! Plus, I don't care about how vauge and mysterious it sounds, it really would kill the "spirt" of the dance.

My Complaint of SB this year. Not enough Greg Aryes, but thats not your fault. He had a panel at 11 the next morning.

We do need to fix the Bathroom problem, even if you just rope off a path to the bathrooms and have some IRT watch so people don't go under the rope.

Also, its a bit unfair to say, "If you have a idea, join us!" This board is for the fans to put in their input and not have to join.

Possible solutions (in my half-blind eyes.)

1) Highly Improbable-Could we move the Masquerade? <-------Typo--
2) Make TWO entrances. You could double the amount of people going in at the same time.
3) Figure out a way to make the lines more fun?

Hope this helps a little, if this thread isn't even already dead.
Darker Than BlackTrigunRurouni KenshiOutlaw StarxxxHolic

#51 User is offline   The Dam Kim 

• Retired Staff
  • Pip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 1831

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:07 PM

View PostXCMNate, on May 23 2008, 01:55 PM, said:

2) Make TWO entrances. You could double the amount of people going in at the same time.
3) Figure out a way to make the lines more fun?

Hope this helps a little, if this thread isn't even already dead.

Thank you for your support! We really do try to listen, and we're not saying no just for the sake of saying no.

As for two entrances, I think it's a GREAT idea. In fact, I think we should have WAAAY more many entrances. Of course, this means we'd need more IRT on duty, which is the answer to a lot of great suggestions (line-herding, bathroom solutions, etc)... I'd like to see it happen, but it doesn't mean IRT will be able to supply the manpower.

Fun lines? I'm intrigued, do you have any suggestions?
+ Adam Kim! +
+ 2010-2012 Assistant Director of Guest Acquisitions +
+ 2009 Int'l Guest Relations Asst Section Chief +
+ 2008-2009 Guest Relations Staff +
+ 2008 Assistant to the Vice Chair +
+ 2007 Convention Operations Staff +
+ 2007 Ops Rep to Convention Committee +
+ 2004-2006 Videogaming Staff +

#52 User is offline   XCMNate 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 17840

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:41 PM

Well me personally, have fun in the lines, but thats cause I look at the big picture and try to meet people and hang out with friends. Plus, I got lucky this year. I was in the smokers area for the SB line. For example though, the guys ahead of us was sing a bunch of Queen songs and were having a blast.

I would say we could do an acoustic concert, but that would be on the street. I do street magic and whenever I go to Six Flags I walk the lines entertaining people. I know that Acen doesn't have much money, but if you could find volunteer entertainers, I think that would be great.

*Edit*
Why did we move the UG to the other hotel? When it was in the Hyatt you could go to the bathroom and not have to go back in line.
Darker Than BlackTrigunRurouni KenshiOutlaw StarxxxHolic

#53 User is offline   ExentricSage 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 976

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:08 PM

From what I gather from reading this thread, the best option is a second Soap Bubble in another hotel, but ONLY if they can recruit enough staff.

So there you have it. Like they said, if you want to make it happen, join the staff.
That's what I'm doing. If no one joins staff, including yourself, don't complain when it doesn't happen. ;) The staff are just valountears working for free and can only acomplish so much. It's not like they can hire more staff.

Mug Paris

#54 User is offline   Juri 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:03 PM

Please keep in mind that as staff, we do try to explain our decisions as fully as possible to the public. Please also keep in mind that a lot of the suggestions in this thread can't even be discussed with staff until we get started on 2009's planning and we simply can't give a yay or nay on any suggestions until we have the staff, facilities, and other necessary framework in place. Sometimes an idea has already been considered and shot down. VERY rarely, we can't even say why - like if it deals with contractual issues, or guest issues, or security.

Also, the staffer responding to you is rarely the sole person in charge of deciding major changes. For example, calling for Allen's resignation is rather unfair - after all, he did not personally hide the bathrooms. There were many departments involved in that failure, just like there are many departments in charge of making the Bubble an overall success.

And a reminder to staff - our job is to listen without being overly defensive. Everyone's voice should be heard. Congoers, please extend the same courtesy; we're only human, after all. ;)

#55 User is offline   Juri 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:10 PM

I think the main block to having two entrances is that IRT needs to count the number of people going in and out of the dance, to ensure we don't exceed capacity. Two entrances would be great if there is a way to coordinate the numbers.

#56 User is offline   codename47 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 9227

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:39 PM

Hmm, I got in the SB around midnight when the lines were going slow, and it seemed like there was plenty more room to add at least 50-100 ppl more comfortably on the dance floor. There were only like 15-20 ppl even sitting in all those seats at that time, plus all the ppl up against the back wall.But then that firecode comes into play. I dont see why the firecode seems so low when more people can be in there. I know the fire marshall was there last year, were they here this year as well?

#57 User is offline   Caerulea Windseeker 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 18564

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:54 PM

View Postcodename47, on May 23 2008, 04:39 PM, said:

Hmm, I got in the SB around midnight when the lines were going slow, and it seemed like there was plenty more room to add at least 50-100 ppl more comfortably on the dance floor. There were only like 15-20 ppl even sitting in all those seats at that time, plus all the ppl up against the back wall.But then that firecode comes into play. I dont see why the firecode seems so low when more people can be in there. I know the fire marshall was there last year, were they here this year as well?

I believe it's not so much a matter of how many people were in the room as it is how fast would those people be able to exit the room. If a fire breaks out, there can be a panic, and then you have people getting hurt or killed not just because of the fire, but because of each other. I suspect that the fire marshal would not allow nearly as many people in there if there weren't the rather large number of doors to get out of the place. But that's just my suspicion.

#58 User is offline   nephia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 17928

Post icon  Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:24 PM

View PostXCMNate, on May 23 2008, 12:55 PM, said:

My Complaint of SB this year. Not enough Greg Aryes, but thats not your fault. He had a panel at 11 the next morning.

I still wish he would have spun the bubble anyway, he does it for Ohyaocon regaurdless of panels happening the next morning. I just wasn't feelin the other Dj's.

#59 User is offline   jrbestler 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 10946

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:48 PM

View PostDogao, on May 20 2008, 06:56 PM, said:

Our DH wrote "maybe in the convention center if anything, but spliting the party in 2 will cause more problems then they will solve. i've done parites in the past that have done this and honestly it splits the crowd way to much and i think ruins the spirt of the party that i'm trying to present."

Wow, seriously? Way to be open-minded. Jeez, WHY are you in charge, again?

So "It will cause more problems than it will solve"....but the only concrete reason I get is "it ruins THE SPIRIT of the party that I'M trying to present." You have GOT to be kidding me.

I would like to hear from the DH on what issues they believe splitting the dance into two would cause. I don't doubt there would be issues, but I too would like a more concrete explination.
The hordes of hades all need to ship their dorm rooms home. Right now.
The leviathian has a job that will take 12 hours to run, but they need it in 2.
The four horsemen want to know why my store isn't open 24 hours.

My day's great. How's yours?

#60 User is offline   Juri 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:51 PM

View PostCaerulea Windseeker, on May 23 2008, 05:54 PM, said:

I believe it's not so much a matter of how many people were in the room as it is how fast would those people be able to exit the room. If a fire breaks out, there can be a panic, and then you have people getting hurt or killed not just because of the fire, but because of each other. I suspect that the fire marshal would not allow nearly as many people in there if there weren't the rather large number of doors to get out of the place. But that's just my suspicion.

This is exactly correct. :)

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users