First-Time Con Goer Resources?
Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:34 PM
2. about $100-200 is usually enough for me
3. Not that I know of the more than likely no. Dealership room deals with japanese culture items (CDs to TV shits) and usually that's about it.
4. Do you have a school ID? That is accepted.
5. The only way they acn get ur badge is if you pre-regged and haven't picked up ur badge yet. I'm assuming no. The staffers DO ID check for a reason.
6. It's been 8 AM in the past but i dn't know about this year.
7. When ever you drop dead with exhaustion!
8. I really don't know, I think you'll haev to check with the Hyatt on that one.
10. I think I remember Para Para and if you ahve a game, bring it!
11. VEERY long! You'd have to be very dedicated to DDR to sit in one of em!
12. I haven't been to AMV but I've been in the masq. it's fun cuz you get to see really pretty costumes but I don't know if you want to spend like 2 hours there, to each his own basically.
13. I don't think holding is allowed, it really destroys the whole "first come, first serve" kinda thing cuz the staffers could think you were cutting in line. Also you don't need chairs, you can always sit on the ground, it's carpeted.
14. You'll have to wait for programming schedule to come out but like they said, everything. Shoujo titles, shounen titles, hentai titles (late at night of course!) If you want more info there is a section for that kind of stuff on these forums.
15. Well there is lots to do! You can karokee, meet up with people you didn't know, stalk cosplayers, play video games, watch concerts, watch panels for particular anime/fandom, and get autographs.
16. Oh geez! Wait til you see the Dealership room my dear. IT'S HUGE!! There are more than enough places to shop, trust me!
17.Well usually when you pick up your badge you get a lil baggy with a few goodies (mostly information that would benefit you while ur at the con but it also depends on the panels you go to.
18. I totally forget. I'll have to go find mine but mostly information to help you around the con.
19. Oh hell yes! You'll haev fun too!
20. Well the masq. is broke up into two groups. Walk ons and skits. First the walk ons walk onto the stage and show the audience their costume. After all the contestants have went the skits begin. These are skits taht were made by the cosplayers to entertain the aduience. After all the cosplayesr ahve gone and done something the judges announce the winners.
21. Yes. The Dealership room has often been compared to a flea market, you ahve to shop for the right prices.
22. McDonalds for sure but don't worry! The programming book comes with a list of near restuarants and a map.
23. *scratches head* I dunno, but then again, you will have a map of all the near by places.
24. Oh wow that one is tough! It depends on where you are. Like the lil passage to the Dealers room for example. That goes from cold, to hot, to cold again. It's crazy!
25. Depends on who the seller is.
26. I have no idea. You'll have to wait til ACen posts the schedule online.
27.More than likely.
28. I dunno much about the Pillows concert but if ACen doesn't have any then you can pretty much buy it at the Dealers Room.
29. That goes for ANY panel really. If you want to get in front get there EARLY! Since it seems like a lot of people are interested in The Pillows this year i would get tehre EXTRA Early!
Whew! Now that I'm done I'm going to bed! :sweatdrop
Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:26 PM
5. If you pre-reg, only a family member or yourself can pick-up your badge, unless you're part of a group in which case a member of the group can pick up the badges (IIRC and if they have everyone's ID's). If you do at-con registration, your price will be higher, but if someone has your ID they can register for you and pick up your badge.
8. I don't remember any safes in the rooms themselves, but I'm pretty sure the front desk can hold any valuables for you. To be sure though, give them a call and ask the Hyatt directly for the most accurate answers. By the way, I hope you've already got a room since scattered reports say theHyatt is full.
17-18. Last year there wasn't much, a couple of manga previews and the Program Book and some ads. The year before they had lanyards with the pre-regs to hang your badge from. Every year is a surprise though since they don't announce before-hand what's going to be in the bags.
21. Most of the stuff in the dealer's room is comparable to Best Buy's prices, at least as far as DVD's go. Manga and other books are pretty much the price you find on the back of the book, but there are some tables that offer anywhere from 10-20% off. If you're going to find deals on anime DVD's, I'd just hold your money and buy them online from places like Deep Discount DVD.
27. Each guest will have set times for autographs. If you attend a panel that they host, you will get a ticket that will allow you first crack at getting their autograph (ie those with tickets jump ahead of the line of those without tickets). It is generally not acceptable to stop a guest n the middle of the con and ask them for their signature, this can cause problems including making them late for their panel.
29. DO NOT LINE UP EARLY!! It just isn't allowed. Since the con events happen within the hotel and convention center themselves, there's not extra room for people to line up for events early. READ THE PROGRAM BOOK THOROUGHLY. That's the best advice I can give since that will be your main source on finding out about rules, procedures, and times. It will tell in the book just how early people will be allowed to line up, I wouldn't guess more than an hour before the concert. Not following the rules can have some dire consequences ranging anywhere from getting placed at the end of the line when it is finally allowed, to getting your badge confiscated or even black marked so you can't even get into the concert. There will be people who will try to discreetly line-up early, but don't join them, you'll end up doing nothing more than compound the problem and possibly get in trouble.
The main thing to remember is to read the Program Book and try to follow what it says.
Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:28 PM
They will be handed out when you pick-up your badge. You can't get them ahead of time. But if this year is anything like previous years, they should post a schedule of events a week or two before the con.
EDIT: Be patient in waiting for responses!! Things like "Hellooooo???!!!11!??!" do nothing more than piss people off, especially when it hasn't even been 30 minutes since you made the post.
Posted 06 April 2005 - 06:48 PM
Ooops! By early lines ups meant as early as staffers will allow. Thanks Tiresais!
Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:05 PM
Sorry to correct you Tiresias but only a family member with the same last name as you can pick-up your badge unless ofcourse your in a group.
Quick question: Will the room setup be the same? Like will the game rooms and rpg room will they all be in the same place? Thanks.
2k-chan (name given by ngsilver)
Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:23 PM
Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:46 PM
I wouldn't count on it being the same. There should be a map in the program book and signs around to point you in the right direction.
All-Time Favorite Anime: Fushigi Yuugi
I freely speak my mind whether you like it or not
Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:48 PM
Times for Thursday have not been announced yet. Watch the reg. section of the forums and the main page for when it is announced. It will probably be announced right before the con.
All-Time Favorite Anime: Fushigi Yuugi
I freely speak my mind whether you like it or not
Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:55 PM
First note: Mandy-chan is a Registration staffer and I am not; this answer comes from having gone and staffed ACen in the past and not from a person with authority to officially answer your question.
Usually reg and pre-reg pickup open later Thursday night but not so late. Last year it was open at (I want to say) something like 6pm (correct me if I'm wrong, Reg staffers!)? There isn't a reason it would change this year that I can think of - but watch the website for updates.
Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:01 PM
Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:24 PM
Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:54 PM
Thankies! that just means I get to ditch the last half off class! joy! although I'm not looking forward to driving all the way out to rosemont and back. oh well I'll live!
Posted 11 April 2005 - 04:23 PM
That's what we're here for. ^^;;
Posted 13 April 2005 - 01:26 AM
Feel free to stop by and say hi. Ask for Rabbi at Security (IRT) headquarters; if it's close to midnight, I'll probably be at the desk. If it's past, I will definitely be there.
Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:27 AM
Posted 13 April 2005 - 04:03 AM
as for thurs reg - check the website closer to con, registration will post all the details
see you at acen!
Posted 13 April 2005 - 11:53 AM
ok so I should go to security hq and ask "Can Rabbi come out and play?" cool got it!