Anime Central Forums: Speed Dating Gripes/feedback Here - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Speed Dating Gripes/feedback Here Post Speed Dating FeedBack here

Poll: Speed Dating (72 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Speed Dating Event be continued for Acen 08?

1. Yes! (63 votes [92.65%])

Percentage of vote: 92.65%

2. No! (5 votes [7.35%])

Percentage of vote: 7.35%

Vote

#1 User is offline   Zerox20 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 1323

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:03 AM

Okay, While it is fresh in everybody's mind, Please post any feedback for speed dating to consider next year, normally we wait to post this until closer to next year but I figure while everybody is thinking about all of the things they liked/disliked I want to get it out there now!

A few KEY points here:
1) How come I waited for 3 hours and I still did not get in?!
- The reason the wait is always so long because we do about 45 minute sessions + 15 minutes for rules explanation etc, We are considering moving the sessions down from 10 rounds to 5, therefore allowing more people to come in, keep in mind the lines were ALWAYS of guys.

2) I wanted to go to this event, but it was scheduled so late and against other events.
- We were aware of that, however due to room availability as you can tell this is a VERY popular event and room size is a huge concern which unfortunately can push it back into the evening.

3) How come no girls showed up? What was done to help fix the issue of girl participation
- I had a running list of about 80 girls that stated they would show up to event, people pre-regged, I open tracked all of this and sent out e-mails to everybody and posted it on the website, people decided to NOT show up, this is of course a huge issue when trying to run an event and effects how smoothly it runs when we can only let 10 guys in, because only 10 girls showed up.

4) I was under 17, and I had to leave the first day how come?
- Under 17 Age Group is a HUGE concern to us, the big issue we had was somehow the 18+ was talking to the 17 and under, we had to put a stop to this RIGHT AWAY, due to lack of 17 and under people available Friday we closed it off for the evening, We are considering running a SEPARATE event just for them.

5) How come we can't do two rooms one for 17 and one for 18+?
- Real simple, people coming to it, if say 25 girls show up, and only 5 guys, we can't run speed dating, it all 100% depends on the on goers.

6) What are we doing to try to promote this more?
- Rather then what I said above, I am going to try to get it on the main website earlier, but it is hard to get info posted on the main website, I will also be trying to get some kind of paper insert put into the bags. I also plan to re-write the description to help people understand it is not HARDCORE dating, it is suppose to be a FUN ACEN SOCIAL event to generate discussion with other interests, it is not a lets go out and be boyfriend/girlfriend event. It is purely intended to be fun and meet new people while at Acen.

7) I never got my results, The results were confusing, etc.
- While I understand this, the results take quite awhile to tabulate, we plan on 1.5 hrs to do this, but since speed dating went LATE into the night as in 1 AM, we did have them ready by the morning, but people were filtering in by 3-4 PM on Sunday for them, by then we are packing up and the speed dating results get mixed together, We will try to have a better system in place. We have some people who wanted their result e-mailed, we WILL be taking care of those ASAP. Also only about 5% pick up their results it seems.

Possible IDEA topics...
- Communication for sign ups, good? bad? Did we drop the ball on communicating the event?
- Event ran poorly? Did not make sense? Confusing?
- How was staff overall? good? bad?

Just a few ideas to kick around.

What do I want from you guys?

Please post what you LIKED and what you DISLIKED, however please post SOLUTIONS not just ranting, I want this to be constructive, for example don't say the results were too hard to get! I want them faster... Okay if you want them faster, give us a better process, its not easy to do quick match making etc. Please take this account as being the SATURDAY event if possible.

WE CANNOT GIVE ANY RESULTS, I AM SORRY, WE SHREDDED THEM ALL FOR PRIVACY CONCERNS ON SUNDAY EVENING BEFORE WE LEFT THE CONVENTION

If you would like to submit a FULL idea and do not wish to express it on the forums please direct it to acenspeeddating@gmail.com

LET IT BE KNOWN:

FRIDAY SUCKED HORRIBLE BAD!!!!!!!!!! IT WAS LAME, DUMB STUPID!! I AM SO SORRY EVERYBODY

Jared "Zerox20" Sangeorzan - Panel Programming ADH - ACen 2003/Present
E: panelprogramming@ACen.org ||

#2 User is offline   MistressMelon 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 10597

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:51 AM

Well the event was fun overall but I had two biggest concerns.

The biggest one was the pair-up
I am an 18 year old female and for at least two rounds I was paired up with someone who looked easily above 40. That's kinda creepy, since they are about my dad's age.

The second one was the knowledge of the volunteers
When I came back to the room to pick up my results, none of the event volunteers knew where to find them! I had to follow another girl who had participated in the event to find them

#3 User is offline   ShortSpike 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 3598

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:09 AM

I think that the lack of information and organization were the two major faults in this. I pre-regged my friend and I, and we did'nt know where to go to confirm it. We had asked around,but most staffers had'nt even heard of the event. We showed up on a whim saturday night and we left because the wait was so long!We came back later and only I was admitted because they needed one more 17 year old.
I guess the lack of organization was frustrating-but not surprising.The overall event was alright-I guess it made me realize just how odd speed dating is.
Provehito in Altum.

#4 User is offline   Zerox20 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:24 AM

View PostMistressMelon, on May 14 2007, 10:51 AM, said:

Well the event was fun overall but I had two biggest concerns.

The biggest one was the pair-up
I am an 18 year old female and for at least two rounds I was paired up with someone who looked easily above 40. That's kinda creepy, since they are about my dad's age.

The second one was the knowledge of the volunteers
When I came back to the room to pick up my results, none of the event volunteers knew where to find them! I had to follow another girl who had participated in the event to find them

I believe there was an announcement made at the end of the session that the results were to be picked up in Lambert, Now I personally was not there in the morning Sunday because I was catching up on sleep, they were SUPPOSE to be organized in our panel ops room and people were suppose to know about it, if they didn't I am sorry. If you went up to SPEED DATING room, they were non panel programming people up there outside the door, they were SUPPOSE to tell you where to go and come get me with any questions since I was inside, I will hang signs better next time, along with making sure the communication is put out for everybody.

As for the 40 yr old thing, this event is SO HARD to do, because of issues like this, I am going to TRY To just do an 18-25 bracket, and just do 17 and under, but Checking ID's is the hardest part of the convention. It is a real pain and a lot of risk is involved when we do ID checking and makes us liable as you can understand.

#5 User is offline   Zerox20 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:28 AM

View PostInuyasha, on May 14 2007, 12:09 PM, said:

I think that the lack of information and organization were the two major faults in this. I pre-regged my friend and I, and we did'nt know where to go to confirm it. We had asked around,but most staffers had'nt even heard of the event. We showed up on a whim saturday night and we left because the wait was so long!We came back later and only I was admitted because they needed one more 17 year old.
I guess the lack of organization was frustrating-but not surprising.The overall event was alright-I guess it made me realize just how odd speed dating is.

In my Original e-mail if you "pre-regged" I told you guys to come to the Panel Operations Room at the RIGHT of the hotel, I did not know the ROOM name at the time, but I know I did say Panel Operations room, I sent this e-mail to everybody on the pre-regged list, if you did not get it I am not sure why. I do know about 15-20 people who did get the e-mail found the operations room just fine and signed their names on the list.

Taken right from the e-mail:
"When you arrive at ACEN on Friday, you will need to head to Panel Operations Room (It is on the far right of the first floor I Believe, not sure yet). Once you get in there whomever is there let them know you are here to confirm your speed dating registration and going to pick a session. We will have all of your names on a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet is going to have a column that says this: FRI/SAT/BOTH you just need to write WHICH Day you want to attend, if you want to both days just write Both, Thatís fine. If you are only going to attend say 2 sessions, the 10 and 11 one, that is fine, you do not have to put specific sessions, just make sure you let us know which day FOR sure you will be showing up. I prefer everybody does both ALL sessions but thatís me!"

A big concern we are addressing from internal Acen stuff is communication, We had a lot of people asking about "Speed Dating" from customer service which we told them to send people to Panel Operations, so we did put the word out from Customer Service, not sure if they dropped the ball more or not, I am not saying we are perfect, but a lot of steps were put into it.

#6 User is offline   weasle 

• Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 10161

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:09 PM

so i went to the speed dating on saturday, i was in with the first group to get in, by the way if any of the girls that went in remember me, i was the guy dressed as a resident evil operative, with the goutee... anyway, i met alot of girls that i really liked, but i had no idea there was any way to even see the results, i mean, i assumed that the girls would get the results, but from what ive been hearing i think anyone could get the results... which makes me sad because there was a few people there i really liked and i havent heard from anyone which is a serious blow to my ego cuz i didnt think i was that b ad... but im feeling like at least (thinks..10 rounds?) of girls obviously thought i wasnt anything special... or im assuming.. so if i anyone i met that night happens to read this, email me ok?
gothyweasle@yahoo.com

hugs and bites
weasle

#7 User is offline   FunkadelicMango 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 5022

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:11 PM

Just a word of warning: This will probably be one looong reply...

My friend and I both signed up for this event via email, and we both knew that we had to report to the Panel Operations room in order to confirm participation. The description of the room location wasn't very clear so we asked Customer Service if they could direct us to Panel Ops. The first person had absolutely no idea where that was. The second person said she knew, and she showed us on a map where to go. Unfortunately it was a wild goose chase in that the room she directed us to was a locked room with no one in it (and apparently in the completely wrong direction and floor).

We stumbled upon Panel Ops later that night by accident (maybe half an hour before the first speed dating session), which, by the way, was actually on the "lobby level" and not the "Entry level." I don't know how everyone else views it, but I view the entry level as being the first floor and the lobby level as the second, which is why the vague description of the Panel Ops location didn't really help us find the place to begin with. So even just saying "the far right of the lobby level" would have been a world more helpful than just "the far right of the first level."

Despite not being able to confirm, my friend and I were able to get into the first session on Friday night, which I think for those of us who were there, can agree was pretty much a nightmare... First of all, just trying to move all the guys around took more time than all of the individual "dates" themselves combined, which in turn meant that the number of "rounds" had to be cut down or the few that we started off with were suddenly "forgotten" altogether. The cards with participant info and the "yes/no's" were also chucked out, which if you ask me was a crucial element of speed dating. Without the cards the element of anonymity is lost, which makes "rejection" a harder blow if you have to be face to face with it a la " 'Hey, so if you want my email address...' 'Nah, that's okay.' "

And yeah, I know that the speed dating wasn't supposed to be hardcore or like "real" dating, but rather just a light hearted, fun socializing/mingling thing, but nobody likes rejection from anyone, yes?

After we were asked to pretend as if the first few rounds were all just a really bad dream (which was uber frustrating, mind you because of the huge amount of time and patience we had all invested) my friend and I were ready to leave. However, we wound up staying because we felt bad for the people in charge and we figured that as female participants, we would end up screwing up the dynamic and stall the process even longer. And I know it was our choice to stay, but this feeling of obligation made it feel a little like a hostage situation, and I know we were not alone in this. After the first session was finally declared "over" my friend and I left, and we didn't come back for Saturday like we originally thought we would. I don't know how the sessions after ours turned out, but it seems as though there was some chaos there too.

Even with all the frustration and all of the unpredictable aspects (like participation), I think the process would have gone much more smoothly if those in charge of the event cracked the whip more. Be hard arses. Be jerks. Refuse to let people in or kick people out if you have to. Do what you have to do to get the job done. afterall, everyone was there to take part in a service/event you were offering and not the other way around, so we do have to abide by your rules, don't we? Sticking to a rigid system would have kept the entire process regulated.

Here's what I suggest should be done for future Speed Dating should it be a continued event at ACen.

-First off I thought it was a good idea to have the females "register" (though I think it's a good idea to let unregistered people participate as well if there is space) before hand, but if you want them to confirm, make the room (Panel Ops) more easily accessible to them by making it clear where it's location is. Or if it isn't a known location until the last second, make sure all the staff workers actually know where it is so that they can direct participants. No more wild goose chases.
-Also, ask that all participants arrive 10-15 minutes early so that "set up" time doesn't steal away time from the dates themselves. That would in turn demand a 10 minute "buffer" period between sessions, but I don't think that's a bad thing if it means the sessions themselves will run more smoothly.
-Have all papers and pens placed at the tables ahead of time, or pass them out to participants as they walk in. The way it was done at the first session (passing them out after everyone had been seated) lead to a world of chaos and confusion, not to mention wasted time when they realized that there weren't enough pens for everyone.
-Explain right then and there what the process will be and how to fill out the forms, but do in a "speed dating for dummies" step by step way. It might sound condescending to some, but some people really need it.
-Don't be afraid to warn or kick out the participants who don't follow the rules or don't know how to keep their traps shut during announcements/explanations.
-Also have an idea of how to move the males around a head of time. I think a simple "snake" pattern around the tables would have been best instead of doing some random impromptu table switching that made everything that much more confusing. Or even telling the guys to keep the seat order, but just move to the tablet ahead of them. Just something short and easy that only needs to be explained once, and so the guys can know how to do it on their own after each "date" at the sound of a bell of something. It should (ideally) cut down on time expenditure.
-And while I wasn't there for the sessions after the very first (and hence didn't have to deal with the "picking up" of results) I agree with the other people who have said that everyone who is going to be working that event should know exactly what they are doing. I know all of these positions are volunteer positions, but the immense lack of professionalism (and I mean that in regards to the con in general, I'm not only picking on the Speed Dating folks) made things that much more frustrating and confusing.

Sorry if that was just a whole lot thrown at you all at once... but I felt I needed to get all of that down while it was still fresh in my mind. I'll probably come up with more later. lol.

#8 User is offline   tweaker 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 6642

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:18 PM

I had a good time at this event. I'm 31, so some of the women I spoke to were on the young side. But the maturity levels varied a lot.
I think it would be nice to be able to tell the person how old you are. I suggest this because when I am talking to someone almost ten
years younger, I don't want them to get the impression that I want to date them. I would like to be able to say upfront that it would
be cool to make a connection for folks to hang out with, rather than date.

Another rule I didn't understand was the no career rule. Any help on this one?

Also, no one said anything about picking up results. I am sure I missed a few cool connections because I didn't pick anything up.
Could the guy running the speed dating thingy mention where to pick up the results before sending us guys out of the room next year?

Another thing would be to just let the conversation start as soon as you sit down. I would introduce myself, then there would be a quieting
of the room, followed by starting. Why not just let us start when we sit? And instead of interrupting us, just start the clock when you would
have anyway.

Finally, the rotation gave me a headache. Too confusing for a five minute chat. My original expectation was to be able to talk to everyone
in my group. That wasn't quite met.

tweak

#9 User is offline   Asunder 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 11295

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:45 PM

View PostZerox20, on May 14 2007, 03:03 AM, said:

A few KEY points here:
1) How come I waited for 3 hours and I still did not get in?!
- The reason the wait is always so long because we do about 45 minute sessions + 15 minutes for rules explanation etc, We are considering moving the sessions down from 10 rounds to 5, therefore allowing more people to come in, keep in mind the lines were ALWAYS of guys.

I was one of the guys that waited for 3 hours and didn't get in. I really hope changes you are considering are made to allow more people to be part of speed dating.

#10 User is offline   Zerox20 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:10 PM

View PostFunkadelicMango, on May 14 2007, 08:11 PM, said:

Just a word of warning: This will probably be one looong reply...

My friend and I both signed up for this event via email, and we both knew that we had to report to the Panel Operations room in order to confirm participation. The description of the room location wasn't very clear so we asked Customer Service if they could direct us to Panel Ops. The first person had absolutely no idea where that was. The second person said she knew, and she showed us on a map where to go. Unfortunately it was a wild goose chase in that the room she directed us to was a locked room with no one in it (and apparently in the completely wrong direction and floor).

We stumbled upon Panel Ops later that night by accident (maybe half an hour before the first speed dating session), which, by the way, was actually on the "lobby level" and not the "Entry level." I don't know how everyone else views it, but I view the entry level as being the first floor and the lobby level as the second, which is why the vague description of the Panel Ops location didn't really help us find the place to begin with. So even just saying "the far right of the lobby level" would have been a world more helpful than just "the far right of the first level."

Despite not being able to confirm, my friend and I were able to get into the first session on Friday night, which I think for those of us who were there, can agree was pretty much a nightmare... First of all, just trying to move all the guys around took more time than all of the individual "dates" themselves combined, which in turn meant that the number of "rounds" had to be cut down or the few that we started off with were suddenly "forgotten" altogether. The cards with participant info and the "yes/no's" were also chucked out, which if you ask me was a crucial element of speed dating. Without the cards the element of anonymity is lost, which makes "rejection" a harder blow if you have to be face to face with it a la " 'Hey, so if you want my email address...' 'Nah, that's okay.' "

And yeah, I know that the speed dating wasn't supposed to be hardcore or like "real" dating, but rather just a light hearted, fun socializing/mingling thing, but nobody likes rejection from anyone, yes?

After we were asked to pretend as if the first few rounds were all just a really bad dream (which was uber frustrating, mind you because of the huge amount of time and patience we had all invested) my friend and I were ready to leave. However, we wound up staying because we felt bad for the people in charge and we figured that as female participants, we would end up screwing up the dynamic and stall the process even longer. And I know it was our choice to stay, but this feeling of obligation made it feel a little like a hostage situation, and I know we were not alone in this. After the first session was finally declared "over" my friend and I left, and we didn't come back for Saturday like we originally thought we would. I don't know how the sessions after ours turned out, but it seems as though there was some chaos there too.

Even with all the frustration and all of the unpredictable aspects (like participation), I think the process would have gone much more smoothly if those in charge of the event cracked the whip more. Be hard arses. Be jerks. Refuse to let people in or kick people out if you have to. Do what you have to do to get the job done. afterall, everyone was there to take part in a service/event you were offering and not the other way around, so we do have to abide by your rules, don't we? Sticking to a rigid system would have kept the entire process regulated.

Here's what I suggest should be done for future Speed Dating should it be a continued event at ACen.

-First off I thought it was a good idea to have the females "register" (though I think it's a good idea to let unregistered people participate as well if there is space) before hand, but if you want them to confirm, make the room (Panel Ops) more easily accessible to them by making it clear where it's location is. Or if it isn't a known location until the last second, make sure all the staff workers actually know where it is so that they can direct participants. No more wild goose chases.
-Also, ask that all participants arrive 10-15 minutes early so that "set up" time doesn't steal away time from the dates themselves. That would in turn demand a 10 minute "buffer" period between sessions, but I don't think that's a bad thing if it means the sessions themselves will run more smoothly.
-Have all papers and pens placed at the tables ahead of time, or pass them out to participants as they walk in. The way it was done at the first session (passing them out after everyone had been seated) lead to a world of chaos and confusion, not to mention wasted time when they realized that there weren't enough pens for everyone.
-Explain right then and there what the process will be and how to fill out the forms, but do in a "speed dating for dummies" step by step way. It might sound condescending to some, but some people really need it.
-Don't be afraid to warn or kick out the participants who don't follow the rules or don't know how to keep their traps shut during announcements/explanations.
-Also have an idea of how to move the males around a head of time. I think a simple "snake" pattern around the tables would have been best instead of doing some random impromptu table switching that made everything that much more confusing. Or even telling the guys to keep the seat order, but just move to the tablet ahead of them. Just something short and easy that only needs to be explained once, and so the guys can know how to do it on their own after each "date" at the sound of a bell of something. It should (ideally) cut down on time expenditure.
-And while I wasn't there for the sessions after the very first (and hence didn't have to deal with the "picking up" of results) I agree with the other people who have said that everyone who is going to be working that event should know exactly what they are doing. I know all of these positions are volunteer positions, but the immense lack of professionalism (and I mean that in regards to the con in general, I'm not only picking on the Speed Dating folks) made things that much more frustrating and confusing.

Sorry if that was just a whole lot thrown at you all at once... but I felt I needed to get all of that down while it was still fresh in my mind. I'll probably come up with more later. lol.

I will respond to each point in kind:
- If you look at my point above the HUGE issue everybody had at ACEN was KNOWLEDGE, we kept telling people where we were, maps were not being passed out due to the schedule errors with printing, it was a HUGE nightmare, COMMUNICATION has to be BETTER at acen across the board AS A WHOLE, so I UNDERSTAND that completely. Just to let you know on the HOTEL map it is called Lobby Level 1 AKA L1, and L2 for Lobby Level 2. So Yes it is Lobby Level on the right side, but thats not the point, It could have bee a bit more clear you are correct. On the point of registering too, I did not just let registered females in, infact most of the females who came were unregistered, I just had to FILL the damn room at that point, there is no rules on people getting in, the pre-reg just means you are saying you will go and if you show up on time you get in!

- FRIDAY was RUINED, let us NOT discuss friday ever again. Saturday all the tables had RULES, the SPEED Dating cards, everything to fill out, pens at tables etc. Also if you look at my original e-mail again to the pre-reg people:
"Okay you are getting this e-mail because you sent an e-mail saying you were interested in Speed Dating! Well here are the final preparation steps for you guys! Girls please try to arrive a bit earlier as the lines will be HUGE For the guys and we need to get you in the event and ready so we can run on-time. "
Also ANY Girl that came into Panel ops, as they were signing I told them to come at 8:45 PM since the event was starting at 9:00 PM. Would you like more done in this regard?

- On saturday we did quick rundown of the rules sheet and explanation only takes about 4-5 minutes, the hardest part is getting people to understand it seems. FRIDAY was HORRIBLE, WE SUCKED ON FRIDAY let it be KNOWN! =)

- While I understand your point entirely, and I agree with you in some aspects, Staff need to be remain friendly if people 100% disrupt then it will be come an issue of kicking people out, we can't all be "hardasses" like you would think because we are representing ACEN and if there is a bad experience keep in mind there will be talk about it, so we try to let some leeway happen, I believe making the SESSIONS shorter will help this a lot, so if we have talkers and people being stupid the shorter sessions will let a new group get in there quicker.

- The Reason this had to be done in the pattern it is was due to the amount of rounds, if we kept doing it the way we did some people could talk to somebody twice due to the amount of "girls" into the event, IDEALLY our setup would be a snake pattern or a CIRCLE pattern, CIRCLE would be the best way, have like a 30 chair circle like real speed dating works. If we have a FULL room the snake pattern works. I understand that concern entirely and trust me we are trying to fix these issues, even after 24 hrs after the con here I am working on it, what am I thinking right? =)

- This is something I plan to personally fix, we have meetings every morning and I am going to go over speed dating with ALL of our panel staff and how it works and what to do when speed dating people come in, So everybody understands, we only have about 20 of us and we have to cover the whole convention for any programming, hence every single event you goto except MAIN programming is pretty much covered by us, so it is VERY hard to get everybody on the same page because we are all frantically running around but I will do my best to get this information relayed to everybody in the future.

#11 User is offline   Zerox20 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:14 PM

View Posttweaker, on May 14 2007, 08:18 PM, said:

I had a good time at this event. I'm 31, so some of the women I spoke to were on the young side. But the maturity levels varied a lot.
I think it would be nice to be able to tell the person how old you are. I suggest this because when I am talking to someone almost ten
years younger, I don't want them to get the impression that I want to date them. I would like to be able to say upfront that it would
be cool to make a connection for folks to hang out with, rather than date.

Another rule I didn't understand was the no career rule. Any help on this one?

Also, no one said anything about picking up results. I am sure I missed a few cool connections because I didn't pick anything up.
Could the guy running the speed dating thingy mention where to pick up the results before sending us guys out of the room next year?

Another thing would be to just let the conversation start as soon as you sit down. I would introduce myself, then there would be a quieting
of the room, followed by starting. Why not just let us start when we sit? And instead of interrupting us, just start the clock when you would
have anyway.

Finally, the rotation gave me a headache. Too confusing for a five minute chat. My original expectation was to be able to talk to everyone
in my group. That wasn't quite met.

tweak

I will respond to some of your points here, the reason there is a "No Career" rule is for your safety and protection, we need to be VERY careful with this event, keep in mind everybody it just takes ONE instance of say somebody getting stalked/tracked for ACEN to be in a whole world of hurt, this is done so lets say you work at Meijer as a Cashier in Bumbo, Alamaba (This is made up I promise), That is too specific technically that person could go there and find you! If you say work at Meijer you would say I work at a Grocery store, you be VAGUE with it, it is done to PROTECT YOU.

The reason we split the convo's when you sit down is people sit down and forget to write the number down of the person across from you, they forget, they move on, then we go to get results and OPPS you didn't fill it out! We could maybe do the as soon as you you sit down thing I will consider it.

Also We are going to be taking the ages 18-25 I believe for Next Year, due to a lot of concerns expressed privately about the age range they were talking too.

#12 User is offline   mens_pocky06 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 8685

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:27 PM

Yeah, my friend and I signed up for the Speed Dating, (we're two of the gals that didn't show up...this is why) and we asked about where the room it was being held in was, and all this other info because we couldn't find the "Confirmation Room." SO, the only answers we got out of all of the people we asked was..."Well, we're trying to figure out that stuff," "We're busy with so much other stuff, but if you come back later, we'll be able to find out..." Well, after 8 hours of no straight, full out answers...we just said "heck with it" (not "heck" but watching language here) and went on our merry way.

BUT! For next year, a suggestion...try and figure out the room(s) for this event a tad a head of time. That way those of us who sign up ahead of time can get that info, and not wander around asking people for hours on end.

My friend and I WILL sign up again for next year though! (^^) *Unless we happen to be in a relationship at that time (XD)*
WOAH! New Forums!
@___@ <3

#13 User is offline   Zerox20 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:35 PM

View Postmens_pocky06, on May 14 2007, 10:27 PM, said:

Yeah, my friend and I signed up for the Speed Dating, (we're two of the gals that didn't show up...this is why) and we asked about where the room it was being held in was, and all this other info because we couldn't find the "Confirmation Room." SO, the only answers we got out of all of the people we asked was..."Well, we're trying to figure out that stuff," "We're busy with so much other stuff, but if you come back later, we'll be able to find out..." Well, after 8 hours of no straight, full out answers...we just said "heck with it" (not "heck" but watching language here) and went on our merry way.

BUT! For next year, a suggestion...try and figure out the room(s) for this event a tad a head of time. That way those of us who sign up ahead of time can get that info, and not wander around asking people for hours on end.

My friend and I WILL sign up again for next year though! (^^) *Unless we happen to be in a relationship at that time (XD)*

I apologize to you, if I KNEW the room 100% FOR SURE I would have said so in the e-mail, it was just not 100% until pretty much AT ACEN! I am going to put a lot of fliers at customer service and stuff all over directing people where to go.

#14 User is offline   Spydie 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 4073

Post icon  Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:10 PM

I would have really enjoyed doing this event again...my friend and I had to leave early on Friday because we did not have our IDs, so it was kinda sad because every person I spoke with was awesome!!! I don't think I'd ever have any intention of ever dating them, but they would be cool to hang out with again.
I am made of awesome: pure, unfiltered awesome.

#15 User is offline   Animecrys 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 10037

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:20 PM

Sorry this is longer than I thought it would be at first.

First: I am a 24 yr old female and I registered me and two of my friends (23 and 24) with me. Friday we showed up looking to register and customer service and the information desk both told us that Speed Dating was cancelled for both days and that they could not get hold of anyone in that department to ask what was going on so we missed out on Friday completely. On Saturday we decided not to trust the customer service people and just go an check it out and saw that it was going on so I was pissed about the bad information.

Second: there were huge numbers of people in there and way to many to get started easily. I have speed dated before and there were only 25 girls. No where near the 40 we had in mine and it went much smoother because it was less people AND all 25 girls got to see the first 25 guys and then there was a second set of 25 so we had 50 people to chose from. This is a way bigger possibility of success! Why do the girls need to be different every round, why not just change the guys? Or do smaller sections?

Third: There were tons of hot guys in my round (1) and I never got to talk to them! It is so frustrating! "oh here is a good one! Oh, he's walking past me....maybe next switch...oh, no he's gone...?" is what kept happening! I was so angry!

Fourth: Of my 10 rounds one guy was way to old and another way to young (he was adorable but big dif between 20 and 24) and the at least four others were con staff or press who were either only there because it was the only way to cover the event or because they needed to see how it was going over or just tag alongs but they did not seem much interested in what was going on saying "I'm here because of him or because I write for...." (This could be that I was just boring or bitterness since I did not get any matches so this part might be more biased than the others so disregard if you think I'm crazy).

Fifth: that all aside I think it should happen again next year. Give my negative experience I would probably not attend or any of my friends but standing in line I got the feel that most of the girls were very excited and interested just frustrated at the lack of choice and the guys probably felt that way to if they did not get to sit with a girl they had been eyeing. So I say try again if only so that eventually you can get one that goes off without a hitch.

#16 User is offline   Zerox20 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:19 PM

View PostAnimecrys, on May 15 2007, 06:20 PM, said:

Sorry this is longer than I thought it would be at first.

First: I am a 24 yr old female and I registered me and two of my friends (23 and 24) with me. Friday we showed up looking to register and customer service and the information desk both told us that Speed Dating was cancelled for both days and that they could not get hold of anyone in that department to ask what was going on so we missed out on Friday completely. On Saturday we decided not to trust the customer service people and just go an check it out and saw that it was going on so I was pissed about the bad information.

Second: there were huge numbers of people in there and way to many to get started easily. I have speed dated before and there were only 25 girls. No where near the 40 we had in mine and it went much smoother because it was less people AND all 25 girls got to see the first 25 guys and then there was a second set of 25 so we had 50 people to chose from. This is a way bigger possibility of success! Why do the girls need to be different every round, why not just change the guys? Or do smaller sections?

Third: There were tons of hot guys in my round (1) and I never got to talk to them! It is so frustrating! "oh here is a good one! Oh, he's walking past me....maybe next switch...oh, no he's gone...?" is what kept happening! I was so angry!

Fourth: Of my 10 rounds one guy was way to old and another way to young (he was adorable but big dif between 20 and 24) and the at least four others were con staff or press who were either only there because it was the only way to cover the event or because they needed to see how it was going over or just tag alongs but they did not seem much interested in what was going on saying "I'm here because of him or because I write for...." (This could be that I was just boring or bitterness since I did not get any matches so this part might be more biased than the others so disregard if you think I'm crazy).

Fifth: that all aside I think it should happen again next year. Give my negative experience I would probably not attend or any of my friends but standing in line I got the feel that most of the girls were very excited and interested just frustrated at the lack of choice and the guys probably felt that way to if they did not get to sit with a girl they had been eyeing. So I say try again if only so that eventually you can get one that goes off without a hitch.

Okay, if Customer Service told you that I AM VERY SORRY! I am not sure what they were thinking, the RADIOS SUCKED, they would BARELY reach the next room, so our fault there for crappy communication that Acen provided us. Also I am not sure how we can do 25 girls and 25 guys so quickly. Think about it, 25 guys x 2 minute rounds + setup/explanation = over 1 hour easily. What we are going to do is most likely do 5 ROUNDS, Setup everything in a CIRCLE, and then rotation is QUICK and we can cycle people out FAST. So 5 Rounds, huge circle (bout 20-30 girls), 20-30 guys. The big issue is, TIME, I can't let that long of a session happen, it wouldn't work =(

#17 User is offline   Scott 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 9607

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:43 PM

A cap at 25 y/o next year? I guess I should have tried it this year :(

I can understand how it's an issue though... Maybe you could have people list an age range they will agree to participate with?

Also, Why not just have some type of "social hour" instead of "speed dating"?

#18 User is offline   mens_pocky06 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 8685

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:01 PM

View PostZerox20, on May 14 2007, 10:35 PM, said:

I apologize to you, if I KNEW the room 100% FOR SURE I would have said so in the e-mail, it was just not 100% until pretty much AT ACEN! I am going to put a lot of fliers at customer service and stuff all over directing people where to go.

Thanks Zerox...(^^)
WOAH! New Forums!
@___@ <3

#19 User is offline   Anita 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 11505

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:36 PM

Having manned and participated in Saturday's Speed Dating event, I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents.

1) There needs to be a better way to get the results out to people in a more efficient matter. So many people didn't know when or where to pick up the results, or they came so late that all the results were destroyed. Maybe we should automatically e-mail results to everyone on top of the option to pick it up, since some people want to meet up AT the con. Also, I would suggest getting more people to do the tallies; I saw several idle people at Panel Programming when I was running down the results that could've been put to better use.

2) Arrange the tables so that the guys can more easily move from chair to chair. We lost time just waiting for all the guys to move around each other and the tables. I like the circle idea that was thrown out there.

3) Since we're changing the number of rounds from 10 to 5, we should tell the girls that they're free to stay another session as long as there are no OTHER girls waiting to participate. That should let more guys in who want to participate.

4) The information cards that the participants filled out NEED TO MATCH and be understandable. On the info cards, gender ID meant your number but so many people filled out male/female because on the yes/no cards, they needed to fill out gender. I don't understand why it was called "gender ID". Why not "seating number" like it was on the yes/no cards? That part caused so much confusion.

5) Someone needs to check the info cards as soon as they've been filled out in case someone filled them out incorrectly or incompletely. It was a pain trying to figure out who was what number, from which session, etc. because they didn't fill out the cards correctly. Also, Speed Dating time was wasted when we had to stop the event and ask the individuals to identify themselves and complete their cards. So, before the cards leave the Speed Dating room, they need to be checked out to prevent future headaches.

That's all for now.

- Anita

Panel Programming Staff 2007

#20 User is offline   Fairy Hime 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 2079

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:37 PM

I didn't go because I walked by the line saturday and didn't really see anyone that interested me. ^.^;; Anyway from reading the responses that people have had why don't you just have everyone register ahead of time. They can fill out the form ahead of time, they can be given a copy of the rules, and they can be given a scheduled time for the event so there's no waiting in line. Once all the times are filled up you can give people the option of being alternates in case some people don't show up. Also since there's a shortage of girls you could give them the option of signing up for more then one time. If you end up turning a lot of people away then you know for next year that you need more time slots. People would be less upset about getting turned away at a booth then waiting in line for an hour and then getting turned away. Also I think it would be better if everyone in the group got to meet everyone. I know I would be heartbroken if I didn't get to meet the cutie I saw across the room. Just do smaller groups or allow groups to have a longer time. There was mention that 25 pairs meeting would take about an hour and well what's wrong with that? That's an hour long panel for fifty people, that seems like a good number to me and if everyone is already scheduled with a time then you don't have to worry about people waiting in line outside.
Acen '10 Cosplays: Yukari from Paradise Kiss and maybe a CD Belly Dancer
Acen Pictures: '06, '07

"Always put off the unpleasant things until tomorrow because you could die today and never have to deal with them."[/color]

#21 User is offline   Zerox20 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:08 PM

View PostFairy Hime, on May 19 2007, 09:37 PM, said:

I didn't go because I walked by the line saturday and didn't really see anyone that interested me. ^.^;; Anyway from reading the responses that people have had why don't you just have everyone register ahead of time. They can fill out the form ahead of time, they can be given a copy of the rules, and they can be given a scheduled time for the event so there's no waiting in line. Once all the times are filled up you can give people the option of being alternates in case some people don't show up. Also since there's a shortage of girls you could give them the option of signing up for more then one time. If you end up turning a lot of people away then you know for next year that you need more time slots. People would be less upset about getting turned away at a booth then waiting in line for an hour and then getting turned away. Also I think it would be better if everyone in the group got to meet everyone. I know I would be heartbroken if I didn't get to meet the cutie I saw across the room. Just do smaller groups or allow groups to have a longer time. There was mention that 25 pairs meeting would take about an hour and well what's wrong with that? That's an hour long panel for fifty people, that seems like a good number to me and if everyone is already scheduled with a time then you don't have to worry about people waiting in line outside.

I like your suggestions but it is not possible. Considering I had over 60 people on pre-reg for 18+ and 30 for 17 and under and 70% of the people who came were not on either list. This was girls mind you, so I can't set times, nobody seems to take it very seriously as say getting a badge. The pre-reg was put there to help get the word out and get people to commit, it failed in this. Now it was not 100% our fault in this, but Customer Service was not giving proper information which we mentioned above which hurt it, so our fellow acen communication staff people were failing in that regard. 25 people would be well over an hr. 25 guys x 5 minutes = 125 minutes, 3-4 minutes of rules explanation (this has to be done), Rotation time (30 seconds), closer to 2 hours in that room. I can't do set times, I just can't there is not enough commitment out there, and too many other con events going around to force people to commit.

I am sorry but I believe next year you might MISS That CUTIE =(, we are going to do a CIRCLE pattern for sure and just have a rotate left every 2 minutes to get through as many as possible. I can't let people meet everybody, girls will probably be able to STAY for future sessions etc. Nice suggestions, but its just not possible, when I have over 300 guys who want in. I need to cut corners.

#22 User is offline   Fairy Hime 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 2079

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:27 AM

View PostZerox20, on May 20 2007, 12:08 AM, said:

I like your suggestions but it is not possible. Considering I had over 60 people on pre-reg for 18+ and 30 for 17 and under and 70% of the people who came were not on either list. This was girls mind you, so I can't set times, nobody seems to take it very seriously as say getting a badge. The pre-reg was put there to help get the word out and get people to commit, it failed in this. Now it was not 100% our fault in this, but Customer Service was not giving proper information which we mentioned above which hurt it, so our fellow acen communication staff people were failing in that regard. 25 people would be well over an hr. 25 guys x 5 minutes = 125 minutes, 3-4 minutes of rules explanation (this has to be done), Rotation time (30 seconds), closer to 2 hours in that room. I can't do set times, I just can't there is not enough commitment out there, and too many other con events going around to force people to commit.

I am sorry but I believe next year you might MISS That CUTIE =(, we are going to do a CIRCLE pattern for sure and just have a rotate left every 2 minutes to get through as many as possible. I can't let people meet everybody, girls will probably be able to STAY for future sessions etc. Nice suggestions, but its just not possible, when I have over 300 guys who want in. I need to cut corners.

Ok, so I did the math with your numbers. 2 x 25 = 50. Where was 5 minutes mentioned in the post? Also 30 seconds is a long time to simple scoot over a chair. It's SPEED dating, make the rotations speedy. Maybe you should check out a couple real speed dating sessions and see how they run it.
Acen '10 Cosplays: Yukari from Paradise Kiss and maybe a CD Belly Dancer
Acen Pictures: '06, '07

"Always put off the unpleasant things until tomorrow because you could die today and never have to deal with them."[/color]

#23 User is offline   Faerie Sakura 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 11560

Post icon  Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:14 AM

hi i'm a noob to the forums and to acen in general however, i loved every minute of it. I was at the speed dating friday with about 4 or 5 other girls (18+) from the group that i came to the con with. when i got to the speed dating i didnt know what to expect as i have never done anything like it before in my life, but i had a general idea as to what it should have been like. unfortunately i had to leave the con at midnight because i had to work saturday morning, friday's speed dating session 1 went on way too long and i am sure everyone involved knows what i mean.....i had been hoping to get to do other things after the speed dating because it should have gone from 9-10....well it didnt end until about 11:30. i met some really nice guys there which definitely made the event worthwhile for me =D but my friends and i could see that the speed dating looked better on the papers we were given with the instructions. anyways, i will definitely be interested in doing this again unless i have a date next year! it was a great way to meet fellow gamers and not feel quite so awkward however frightening the aspect of talking to people of the opposite gender seems. hope next year goes smoother!!! (maybe a huge circle and ditch the tables might help to keep things moving!)

~*~Can't Wait to Do It All Again Next Year!!!! ~*~

ACen 2007
Friday, Saturday- Sakura from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
Sunday- FreshFruits outfit with red cat ears

ACen 2008 cosplay!!!!
Crossplay of Naruto Uzumaki for masquerade
Sakura - Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles

ACen 2009
Friday - Miaka (priestess)- Fusihigi Yugi
Saturday - Sakura - Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
Sunday - Naruto - Naruto

ACen 2010
Sexy Mokona - Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles (kinda)
Tai Lee or Kitara - Avatar
Lia de Beaumont - Le Chevalier D'Eon

#24 User is offline   Zerox20 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:54 AM

View PostFairy Hime, on May 20 2007, 06:27 AM, said:

Ok, so I did the math with your numbers. 2 x 25 = 50. Where was 5 minutes mentioned in the post? Also 30 seconds is a long time to simple scoot over a chair. It's SPEED dating, make the rotations speedy. Maybe you should check out a couple real speed dating sessions and see how they run it.

Sorry I was accounting for all the extra time, and we did check out how real speed dating works, we have a lot more concerns then they do, mainly time. We try to make people rotate quick, they can't (Its not as easy as you think), we try to set the times if we do 3 minute talks, we get people who want 5 minutes, if we get 2 minute talks we get people saying not enough time. So to answer your question I know how real speed dating works, we just have a lot more to concern then they do being at a con and everybody wanting in, and 1 hour of speed dating is almost too long now, we have guys waiting in like for 3 hrs and then upset they did not get in. Not to mention the girl population to begin with. Asking girls to stay for a 1 hr session then another hr is hard, so just 30 minute sessions then guy rotations is probably best, but then you wouldn't be able to meet EVERYBODY, so its a hard place/decision for us to please everyone. Keep that in mind.

#25 User is offline   Aleister Sparrow 

• Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 17280

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:14 AM

Will there be a gay/lesbian/bisexual speed-dating panel?

That would certainly alleviate any concerns regarding the man-woman ratio. ;)

#26 User is offline   misty 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 10855

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:24 PM

Is there any information about Speed Dating available, yet? I wonder when we should be signing up- at-con or before?
acen2008: Sexy Ninja Clan 「get ready to be assexxinated
agenda: Johnny's Entertainment Gathering ACEN Idol CLIPTOMANIA
your loveもう一度 please 時を戻せたらいいのに
selling manga/anime over here

#27 User is offline   Zerox20 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:33 PM

View Postmisty, on Mar 5 2008, 08:24 PM, said:

Is there any information about Speed Dating available, yet? I wonder when we should be signing up- at-con or before?

I have no idea about speeddating right now, There has been some communication thrown around but I am not sure on everything yet, I am truely sorry everybody.

#28 User is offline   KawaiiKate 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 17588

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:47 PM

How do you get involved in something like this? I really want to be a part of it! And I'm 17, would that be alright?
<3 Kate <3
www.myspace.com/thet0wnwh0re

Cosplay 2010:

Samurai Sugar: http://kunkka.devian...i-Sugar-4265649

Ayame [InuYasha]: http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee183/m...s/Picture30.png

#29 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 13139

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:34 PM

View PostKawaiiKate, on Mar 23 2008, 11:47 PM, said:

How do you get involved in something like this? I really want to be a part of it! And I'm 17, would that be alright?

i have 2 friends who might be interested. there twins, and try to get GF's but are to shy...although this year they want me to do it as well <_< . do the guys just line up at the place again or do you sign up?
Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#30 User is offline   FoolInCool 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 17895

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:50 PM

i would really like to try this how do i sign up or do we just meet somewhere......this seems like it would be a blast

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users