Anime Central Forums: Steve "Crocodile Hunter" Irwin, dead at 44. - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Steve "Crocodile Hunter" Irwin, dead at 44.

#1 User is offline   Azzy Kurita 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 7579
  • Location:Green Bay, WI and currently recruiting folks for my Fantasy Football leagues.

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:17 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060904/ap_on_...n_tv/obit_irwin

*bows head in silence*
"In American football, even when the opponent scores 99 points, we'll win if we score 100 points. The most important thing in American football is offense."
-- Hiruma, Eyeshield 21

I am very much single and looking. ;P

Member of the Shy Otaku Syndicate

Come to KitsuneKon!

#2 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 1495

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:48 AM

Man was I in shock when I found out on the news this morning. I saw the breaking news on CNN today and it said "Crocodile Hunter Dead." I was like "WTF? STEVE!!!" And sure enough it was him. I was in shock! I really loved his catchphrases such as "crikey" or "woooohoooo" He was so awesome! He will be missed. But he died doing what he loved...messing with wild animals. Big Up Steve. Ill miss you but your show will live on.
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:
MST3k Mike Nelson & Crow-Friday
Team Fortress 2 Medic-Saturday

#3 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:09 PM

He was pushing his luck with all that he did--I mean, how many times did we expect to see him lose an arm to a croc--but still, he'll be sorely missed. The world's not quite as fun without him.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#4 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 1495

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:58 PM

On the upside at least we have Wildboyz with Steve O.
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:
MST3k Mike Nelson & Crow-Friday
Team Fortress 2 Medic-Saturday

#5 User is offline   Doggeh 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 2403

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:20 PM

This is extremely sad news to me. I'm not quite sure it has even sunk in yet. I'm still shocked. I used to watch his show a lot and I just thought he was so cool.

He will definately be missed.
Visit my devart, if you dare.

ACen 2013 Cosplays:
Dean Winchester - Supernatural
Jack Frost - Rise of the Guardians

http://www.neopets.c...name=wolfdog173

#6 User is offline   BebopCola2021 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 3253

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:20 PM

I was really sad to hear this. Whenever someone would ask me who my role model was, I would answer "Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter". They'd start to laugh, then I'd say something like, "Think about it...he goes to work everyday loving what he does. He has a passion for life and is helping the environment by teaching about conservation and protecting wildlife. He found true love in Terri, who shared the same interests as he did (she worked with big cats). He has two beautiful children who are the joys of his life. Steve Irwin has found it. He's found joy in life and lives every day to the fullest."
Crikey Steve....We'll miss you. You were a real beauty.

#7 User is offline   Femme Fatale 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7220

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:12 PM

I too was shocked and saddened by the news of Steve Irwin's death. I found out through my sister (Excel Excel) early this morning. I thought "no it couldn't be him". But as word spead via CNN, MSNBC, Fox news and other news networks, it sunk in that we truly lost a great man. Never in my wildest imagination that he would die from a barb of a Stingray. I thought Stingrays were such docile creatures, not knowing that they have their own defense mechanism. Everytime I'd watch his shows I would say to myself that one day a Crocodile or venemous snake would get him. I assume that everyone else felt the same way. Not from a Stingray. As the entire world mourns his passing my condolences go out to his wife Terri and his two beautiful children. I don't know how they will and all of us who love animals will go on without him. :(

Rest in Peace Steve. May you catch that big croc in the sky.
Excel's Big Sis

Coming Soon to ACen 2016

Ryuko Matoi "Kill la Kill" Friday and Saturday

#8 User is offline   Carnage_Black2 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 3691

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:14 PM

*bows head in complete silence*

I know, I heard about it earlier this morning. May he rest in peace in the croc park in the sky. He will be missed by all since he was loved by all. He was the last person I would think would die. But atleast he died doing what he lived his life for. I know they will erect a memorial to him, a zoo perhaps. Maybe even rename the zoo he worked at. But we will all miss him.
President of:
<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Anime Central Association for the Advancement of the Bunny Kind</span>
Self proclaimed protector of bunny girls from catgirls, other bunny girls, cabbit girls, and horny fanboys.
Executive Officer of Bunny/ACen Yakuza Relations
Girl: Are you an angel?
Me: I am but a man of shadows... *vanishes*
I live a life of blissful confusion. If you have a problem, take it up with my brain.
Check out my Myspace. Carnage's Myspace

#9 User is offline   GiveUpTheGhost 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3441

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:48 AM

sooner or later i expected this. I feel for his family.
My barren plan to be a better man
Rots in abandoned fields
These idle hands inherit spoiled lands
As the hungry become the pigs
We reap (and) we sow
We mourn who we were
Love what we lost

#10 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:05 PM

Yeah, I read about it when my brother came home from work and tossed the paper at me. He told me to read it, and I was like WTF?! A stingray!? That totally sucks. I really would have thought it would be something else. I really liked his shows and he was very entertaing to watch, But at least he died doing what he loved. I feel for his family.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#11 User is offline   astro girl 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 5188

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:39 PM

BebopCola2021 said:

I was really sad to hear this. Whenever someone would ask me who my role model was, I would answer "Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter". They'd start to laugh, then I'd say something like, "Think about it...he goes to work everyday loving what he does. He has a passion for life and is helping the environment by teaching about conservation and protecting wildlife. He found true love in Terri, who shared the same interests as he did (she worked with big cats). He has two beautiful children who are the joys of his life. Steve Irwin has found it. He's found joy in life and lives every day to the fullest."

You are SO right.
I'm really sad he died, but he died doing what he loved. Which I think is the best way anyone can go.
I was watching Animal Planet today [when he was in Antartica!] and he said what he wanted to be remembered for was his passion. I definitely think he will be.
He did such great things for animals and the environment. He believed the way to raise awareness was to educate and make people love the animals - he did that. I just hope people continue to learn from him and work towards saving animals and the environment.
=[
spaceship/eljay/music

intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings.
[dali]

#12 User is offline   Owen_Shire 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 4241

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:58 PM

I didn't believe it either, it was totally ridiculious to me the a stingray killed him, and not a croc or a snake, but alas, I suppose it was his time. Rest in peace Steve, your passion for life was an inspiriation to all of us.

#13 User is offline   muchokatanas 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 4352

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:23 PM

I think I can safely say that everybody will miss him. I think this also teaches everybody the lesson that all wildlife is dangerous and needs to be respected from a distance. Only experts should handle wildlife because it's dangerous work. I always respected Steve and will continue to respect. I feel especially bad for the children because now they will lack a father figure in life. At least they can see their father's passion for his work and the wildlife. Rest in peace Steve. Take comfort that the world has become more aware of their enviroment because of you.
Lazy people don't suffer from Lazziness. They enjoy every moment of it! :D

Just something to look at if curious. http://www.myspace.com/treadsilently

#14 User is offline   wolverine33 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 582

Posted 06 September 2006 - 12:59 PM

A person at work asked me if i heard about it and
i was like... WHAT???!!!!:eek:

It's one of those things because most people thought a croc would
get him instead of a Stingray...

When me & my sister first saw him on tv we were like.... IS HE NUTS???!!!

What's he doing??? He's going in there with that???!!!!

I'll miss him & i know there's many others that will :( :( :(

Later:cool:

#15 User is offline   Soshen 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 5134

Posted 06 September 2006 - 02:26 PM

BebopCola2021 said:

I never thought of it that way exactly, but you are completely right. I think I've found a new hero. :)

*bows in silence* You will be missed.
I AM THE HEAD OF THE NEKOBOY ALLIANCE INTELLIGENCE AGENCY!! X3 I r b smart. :P

COSPLAY LIST FOR 2008!
1. Taichi Yagami (Tai) from Digimon Adventure (first season) (Progress: 100%)
2. L from Deathnote (Progress: 100%)
3. Shadow the Hedgehog from the game Shadow the Hedgehog (Progress: 78%)
4. Nex from Bomb the Town (anyone wanna be Blurgas?)
5. (this one is a maybe) Little Jimmy Urine from the band Mindless Self Indulgence

ACEN 2007 pictures

Acen 2006 Pictures

My YouTube account!

#16 User is offline   Kasemei 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 5705

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:14 PM

I was really sad when I heard he passed. my sympathies go to his wife and children. He was a truely remarkable man who did remarkable things. (sometimes crazy) but remarkable things. may you rest in peace and have happiness forever more Steve Irwin, you were an amazing man, both as a father and as an enviromentalist. We will miss you greatly.
Floating around the forums every so often.

Cosplays for 2011: Ciel Phantomhive Ballgown from Kuroshitsuji, Toph Bei Fong Fire Nation Disguise from Avatar: The Last Airbender, Revolutionary Girl Utena Schoolgirl outfit, and Meiling Hong from the Touhou Project.

#17 User is offline   Carnage_Black2 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:52 PM

wolverine33 said:

A person at work asked me if i heard about it and
i was like... WHAT???!!!!:eek:  

It's one of those things because most people thought a croc would
get him instead of a jelly fish...

When me & my sister first saw him on tv we were like.... IS HE NUTS???!!!

What's he doing??? He's going in there with that???!!!!

I'll miss him & i know there's many others that will :( :( :(  

Just for reference, it was a stingray.

I heard something of interest. I hear that in it was ever filmed, Steve Irwin wanted his last moments, if recorded, to be shown so that people can see just how dangerous animals can be. I think it should be shown. What about the rest of you.
President of:
<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Anime Central Association for the Advancement of the Bunny Kind</span>
Self proclaimed protector of bunny girls from catgirls, other bunny girls, cabbit girls, and horny fanboys.
I live a life of blissful confusion. If you have a problem, take it up with my brain.

#18 User is offline   stelu-chan 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 5841

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:58 PM

It's all over the place. And, if he wanted it, I think that they should respect his wishes. He's so cool though, he totally pulled it out. x3 That, my friends, is some seriously awesome shizen, you know?
ACen 09: Tifa Lockhart (KHII, FFVII: AC/DoC ver.), Bianchi (Random... Casual... Whatever)

ACen 2010 Plans: Matsumoto Rangiku (Fuku-taichou), Emma (Season/Part One Maid Uniform),
Tifa Lockhart (KHII, FFVII: AC/DoC ver.), Tifa Lockhart (FFVII), Ireland (Original Hetalia)
I wish I could sew better, I could be making costumes ALL YEAR! DX

#19 User is offline   Carnage_Black2 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:15 PM

I was suprised he pulled it out. The way I see it, he died from the trauma to his heart from the stink and not the vemon/poison. But I do see why he wanted it shown. Just so everyone knows how dangerous they can be, ya know?
President of:

#20 User is offline   wolverine33 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 582

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:25 PM

[QUOTE=Carnage_Black2]Just for reference, it was a stingray.

OPPS:sweatdrop Didn't realize i typed the wrong one... DUH:rolleyes:
(goes to fix)

#21 User is offline   In Silico 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 4720

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:43 PM

Ha! Way to go Steve! Even your death was unique!

Interesting and somehow appropriate that he managed to be one of only 14 people EVER killed by a Stingray. We'll miss you yo!

-Rob / IS
~~へ へ~~
\__/\___/

#22 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:29 PM

It was weird to hear he died. I think it took the entire day to get over the shock. After all the last stingray death was back in 1954, I'm gonna trust my coworker on that date being right.
Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#23 User is offline   Matt 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 1225

Posted 08 September 2006 - 05:49 PM

Yeah, this news shocked the heck out of me when I first read it :( . Since then, I've been trying to wrap my head around how Steve Irwin could have avoided being stung by the stingray, but the only real solution would have been to not swim near it at all. True, he shouldn't have swum on top of it like he did, but from all accounts it was a freak accident and Steve couldn't have imagined that the ray would sting him in self-defense. I'm a bit surprised that he pulled out the stinger's barb, but then again he's probably honed his instinct over the many years he has worked near wild animals. But I'll have to disagree with those who want to see the footage of his death, since according to news reports, one of his close friends watched the footage and was very shaken by it; he adamantly proclaimed that the public should never view the footage. I'll take his word for it. I wish Terri the best of luck in raising their two children, but I'm sure she'll do her best. Rest in peace, Steve. You'll be missed, but know that we all appreciate your dedication to protecting wildlife and educating the public about wildlife conservation :) .
:heart: <span style='color:Magenta'>Proud Secretary of the Plushy Guardian Alliance</span> :heart:

:heart: <span style='color:Blue'>Soldier in The Glomp Team </span> :heart:

<span style='color:DarkSlateBlue'>Member of the Anime Central Association for the Advancement of Bunnykind</span>

#24 User is offline   Carnage_Black2 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:58 AM

The only reason I say the footage should be shown is because that was Steve's own request. As I said. He stated that if he was killed by an animal in the wild or in captivity, he wanted it shown so people can see animals are dangerous, even with someone of his expertise. It was his request, I think it should be shown since that's the way he wanted it.
President of:

#25 User is offline   randy 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 7996

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:27 PM

It pissed me off when i found out he died i LOVED his show. I hate God even more now "spits in gods face".

#26 User is offline   kahad 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 532

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:11 AM

randy said:

It pissed me off when i found out he died i LOVED his show. I hate God even more now "spits in gods face".

Watch it, dude.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
K-chan (nickname given by ngsilver)
Are YOU on my grilling list??? (Updated 9-26-2008)
Master Chef of the Great Otaku Army and Spam Squad member!!!
AMV Staff ACen 2005-2007, Panel Programming Staff ACen 2008-2015 :)
Maho! - not just a saying, a way of life.

#27 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:10 PM

randy said:

Poor God. The stupidities He gets blamed for.

Irwin screwed up. He'd be the first to admit it. End of story.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#28 User is offline   eyeball kid 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 4793

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:49 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you Steve. I now have a plan for this year's Halloween costume!

#29 User is offline   Femme Fatale 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7220

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:41 PM

randy said:

Lets not bring God into this. These kinds of things happen. Yes Steve's death was a completely shock for all of us. But to actually blame the Lord our Savior is wrong. God did not place that stingray in Steve's path to have him killed. I understand you're upset. When we lose someone we care about of course we call God's role into question. "Why do the good have to die"? That's what we all say right? Hate is not in my heart for God in taking away such a wonderful, but vivacious man. Remember him in life. Remember him as we saw him on television. Never bring malice into the picture. Its such a deadly poison that will take over you. Take this to heart.
Excel's Big Sis

Coming Soon to ACen 2016

Ryuko Matoi "Kill la Kill" Friday and Saturday

#30 User is offline   Kasemei 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 5705

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:17 PM

hey what' this about him being drugged or something???? I saw some article about it
Floating around the forums every so often.

Cosplays for 2011: Ciel Phantomhive Ballgown from Kuroshitsuji, Toph Bei Fong Fire Nation Disguise from Avatar: The Last Airbender, Revolutionary Girl Utena Schoolgirl outfit, and Meiling Hong from the Touhou Project.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users