• This topic is locked

Welcome Back....

#1 User is offline   zaps00 

• Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 1094

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:52 AM

...To The Stage of History!

For those of you who don't know, my name is Ryan, better known here as Zaps. I have been involved with Anime Central for a few years here, 2004 as the Video Gaming Assistant Department Head, and 2005 as the Department Head of he newly combined Gaming Department (which consists of Video Gaming and RPG Gaming). The powers that be saw fit to bring me back on board for another stint as the Gaming Department Head.

Now that the introduction is over here, I'd like to personally thank everyone who made it to the Game Rooms last year. You guys made us undoubtedly one of the most popular, and BUSIEST areas of the whole con. I'd also like to that my staff from last year for all the hard work they put in to make your time as enjoyable as possible.

So you may be thinking that this post is coming a bit early, right?

WRONG!

We are already getting geared up and really excited about bringing you guys the BEST Gaming Rooms that we can possibly bring you.

I am going to concentrate a bit on the Video Gaming aspect in this post as one of my Assistant Department Heads will be posting very shortly about the status of the RPG room.

-----------------------------------

-= Arcades =-

I hope you guys like the selection we had last year, because I am proud to say that we have already come to a handshake agreement with Nickel City to provide arcades again. Things should be finalized very shortly, but I think I can let slip a couple of the games that should be present for 2006...

Dance Dance Revolution Extreme
Guilty Gear XX #R
Tekken 5
and...
Initial D V3

That is just a few of the many that should coming, with many more to be added to the list as time progresses.

(Remember the list can change at anytime)

-= Consoles =-

We have something pretty B-I-G planned this year for the console section of the room. I can't really say what yet, but it will be a win-win situation for everyone.

-= Room Hours =-

I know last year we were all gung ho for a 24 hour Video Gaming room, but to be honest, you guys exhausted us! We had no idea the demand for after hours would be so great. It remains to be seen how late we will stay open for 2006, but would love to hear some feedback from you guys as to what you would want for hours.

-= LAN Gaming =-

LAN gaming has been a major request in past years, and this year I would very much like to see it become a reality. This being said, I would like to set some ground rules down for this if we are going to make it a reality.

1) BYOC (Bring Your Own Computer) is out of the question. Too much of a security risk here. I don't want to see anyone lose any parts or an entire computer. I know this pain all too well, and don't want anyone else to be put through it.

2) This is wishful thinking at this point. If it doesn't happen, I don't want people to be pointing fingers at me saying I promised it. There are a lot of things that I have to consider, and if at anytime this looks like it is going to have a negative impact on the Gaming Department, we are not going to do it.

Those rules being laid out, I would like to issue a call for help.

I am looking for someone who is experienced in running an organized LAN event to help me get this off the ground. If you think you have the experience, please e-mail me a "resume" with your experience and references (yes, I WILL check your references) to videogaming@acen.org and notify me via PM that you have sent this. It would also be a BIG plus if you have any industry contacts, as I am already in negotiations with a major PC company to help us out.

-----------------------------------

That all being said, I hope to see you all in 2006!

P.S.

Any questions/comments/requests you have for me, feel free PM or e-mail me at videogaming@acen.org

#2 User is offline   jackspicer 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3522

Posted 18 October 2005 - 07:00 AM

at Acen 05 you guys had naruto for the gamecube, did you have to get a mod chip or what cause i may be getting that.
Proud member of the Bishe Brigade

#3 User is offline   Vinja Ryou 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 3078

Posted 25 October 2005 - 03:44 PM

Yeah, the 24 hours was awesome, but you guys had to be EXHAUSTED at the end! I enjoyed the arcade a ton though, n_n and will definitely be stopping by again - so glad to hear that Tekken 5 is coming back!

Hours-wise...perhaps keep similar hours as nightclubs, so close the doors at 2 or 3 AM, and open them up again at 9 or 10 AM? It gives you time to clean up and catch some rest yourselves.

#4 User is offline   Kane 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 5485

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:03 PM

From my personal experience, I think it would be worth the effort to make an attempt at getting more staff for the Game Room and having it 22-23 hour.

Im sure everyone that was there remembers the horror of ACen '03 and '04....
Last years' Acen '05 had it much better with the bigger room, but I think that the gameroom should still be shut down for an hour or two for cleaning/airing out around 5 or 6am. I love DDR, but theres nothing like gameroom stink.

I am looking forward to finding out about the console room, and I also would like to see LAN gaming happen. I understand the reasons for not allowing BYOC, however I do not agree with it. I would just cover the walls with a disclaimer saying that if you leave your stuff and its not there when you get back, thats YOUR fault. On the topic of organizing LAN's, I have more experience than many, but the ones I host have always been BYOC. I only ever supply four things: Power, A spot, A chair, A lan connection (w/ cable). That means NO guarentee about personal property.

Everything looks like its going to be a bigger and better ACen #9! Can't Wait.

#5 User is offline   psyco_chick32 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 1735

Posted 01 December 2005 - 05:42 PM

I have to agree with the above... I know at several of the LANs that I've gone to, it's been stressed that the people there are SO not to blame for anything going missing. With that said, why not have a form to fill out before you could take part in the LAN? Part of it could state that the signer agrees to not pitch a fit if they walk off for several hours, come back, and find that somebody thought their computer was a door prize... It would make sense to me, and then you'd know how many people you'd need, stuff like that. Make it a pre-reg thing?

#6 User is offline   digimonemporer 

• Exhibit Space
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 6045

Posted 23 January 2006 - 02:16 PM

24 hour gamming was so hot! God I played for hrs and hrs...that made coming to ACEN worthwhile. I really hope that comes back. But I can understand how tiring it can get! So I would really like to help out and volunteer Ryan for this years event, I remember talkin to you last year about that...this is Webster by the way! I know I should be helping run tournaments like I did last year and such so I really look forward to it!

Laters
-Webster
I'm the greatest in my own little world!!!
Now playing a lil bit of every fighting game, here and there.

#7 User is offline   icebratrpg 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 980

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:19 PM

Sunday morning and the Pop N Music setup was one of the best parts of my whole weekend. :D
Member of the Plushie Guardian Alliance <3 ACen 12 pix, you can has them. ^^ Member of the OLRmy, now a member of the Voice of Geeks Network!

Proud Masq gofer 2006-2008 Reg Staff 2009. ACen addict since 2003

#8 User is offline   digimonemporer 

• Exhibit Space
  • Pip

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:41 PM

Ryan: is Tekken 5 Dark Resuresction gonna be there this year?:D

#9 User is offline   Vayseth 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 5091

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:33 PM

jackspicer said:

at Acen 05 you guys had naruto for the gamecube, did you have to get a mod chip or what cause i may be getting that.

The PS2 games require a PS2 mod chip. If it's the GameCube version of the game, it requires a free loader disc which runs about $20-$28. You just put in the disc and it'll prompt you to put in the import game. It's that simple.

As for the game room, PLEASE, *PLEASE* post tournament rules up in advance with what games are *DEFINITELY* going to be run not only on the forums, but at the sign up location. Make sure people have the rules and know the cap on the people that can actually enter the competition. There was a lot of confusion with timing, rules, and organization last year with some of the tournaments and it was kind of crazy. I have experience running a convention game room, tournaments at a convention, and running independent tournaments by themselves so, if you would like some suggestions, I'd be glad to help you with specifics.

I would also like to see at least 2 games of Gekki 4, just due to the incredible presence on the forums.

#10 User is offline   digimonemporer 

• Exhibit Space
  • Pip

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:20 PM

As long as it's like before the end of Febuary...people like at least 3 months in advance for tournament readiness!

I along with XCTU (probably) will be a postin these tournament at more game direct sites like:

www.willvolution.com for Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4
www.tekkenzaibatsu.com for Tekken 5 and 5 Dark Resurection
www.shoryuken.com for Capcom Vs. SNK2 and Street Fighter 3: Thrid Strike
Etc.

To ensure a more larger turn-out from last year. I still can't believe more than 100+ people sign-up for Super Smash Bros. Meele...unbelieveable!!!:eek:

#11 User is offline   ShinjiGohan 

• Pip
  • Group: Validating
  • Member No.: 778

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:31 AM

See ya there Webster, Jester and Sensei should be there again as well.

#12 User is offline   XCTU 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 773

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:04 AM

Vayseth said:

The PS2 games require a PS2 mod chip. If it's the GameCube version of the game, it requires a free loader disc which runs about $20-$28. You just put in the disc and it'll prompt you to put in the import game. It's that simple.

As for the game room, PLEASE, *PLEASE* post tournament rules up in advance with what games are *DEFINITELY* going to be run not only on the forums, but at  the sign up location. Make sure people have the rules and know the cap on the people that can actually enter the competition. There was a lot of confusion with timing, rules, and organization last year with some of the tournaments and it was kind of crazy. I have experience running a convention game room, tournaments at a convention, and running independent tournaments by themselves so, if you would like some suggestions, I'd be glad to help you with specifics.

I would also like to see at least 2 games of Gekki 4, just due to the incredible presence on the forums.
if im running a tourney, there's not gonna be a cap, and if there is, ill make a note saying that people should still come anyways cause there's lots of people who sign up who simply don't show up, and then one of the people who's actually THERE can just take one of their spots.

#13 User is offline   Vayseth 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 5091

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:34 PM

Yes, however, I was told there wasn't one and then all of a sudden there was, and I was screwed. Therefore, don't double dip either =P It's not like I'm going to have a problem last year, just my experience from last year.

#14 User is offline   digimonemporer 

• Exhibit Space
  • Pip

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:14 PM

ShinjiGohan said:

See ya there Webster, Jester and Sensei should be there again as well.

Do I know you?:confused:

#15 User is offline   ShinjiGohan 

• Pip

Posted 04 February 2006 - 03:13 AM

Unless you're someone else lol. Shinji from Acen aka EX3 guy.

#16 User is offline   Ichigo 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 4573

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:03 AM

Is there anyway to get a "Pump it up" Machine? the korean game doesn't get enough love.

Its a 5 step korean version of DDR and imho alot of fun to do as well involving more dance moves then stomping.

i can understand if you cant get it as it is a bit hard to find, but it is worth a try :)

For those intersted, Navy pier has one, all dave and busters have them, and a few scattered arcades have them as well. its a blast :)

#17 User is offline   digimonemporer 

• Exhibit Space
  • Pip

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:03 PM

ShinjiGohan said:

Unless you're someone else lol.  Shinji from Acen aka EX3 guy.

How foolish of me Keith, I'm sorry for forgeting about you. I really look forward into seeing you guys as well!!!

Do you play Naruto as well?:D

#18 User is offline   ShinjiGohan 

• Pip

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:23 AM

I don't have a GC so no. But three of my friends will be there that do play (two of them supposively play it religiously lol). In fact, should something of naruto come up at MWC in 2 weeks you'll probably meet them there.

#19 User is offline   digimonemporer 

• Exhibit Space
  • Pip

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:40 PM

Yes indeed if I come myself!!!:D

Question: what's the possibility of getting these matches (for EX3 and maybe Naruto) recored and put on your site? That would be totally pimp!!!;)

#20 User is offline   ShinjiGohan 

• Pip

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:10 AM

As of the moment, not too good. The dicks at work decided to not give me my vacation days for that weekend. So unless something changes, I probably won't be able to come out :(.

But if I do, then there shouldn't be a problem. I'll bring my computer for EX3 recording (got a standard to live up to now lol), and a vcr to record the naruto matches to record on the computer later on. But if you're there then we could work out something for the format. Like the Acho's vids where they have 5 matches on one vid, or different players, or others where its only 1 set of players.

#21 User is offline   Lonewarrior 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 5344

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:37 AM

I'll be bringing in guilty gear isuka, gundam battle assault 2" which i intend to kick butt with acguy", and a couple of others.
Then i stand alone.

yes i'm that lonewarrior from the animeleague.

#22 User is offline   digimonemporer 

• Exhibit Space
  • Pip

Posted 11 February 2006 - 01:33 AM

ShinjiGohan said:

As of the moment, not too good.  The dicks at work decided to not give me my vacation days for that weekend.  So unless something changes, I probably won't be able to come out :(.  

But if I do, then there shouldn't be a problem.  I'll bring my computer for EX3 recording (got a standard to live up to now lol), and a vcr to record the naruto matches to record on the computer later on.  But if you're there then we could work out something for the format.  Like the Acho's vids where they have 5 matches on one vid, or different players, or others where its only 1 set of players.

Okay Keith well I'm definetely coming tonight for the MWC warm-up tournament. I know I will not be able to come to the tournament next weekend!!! So if your free tomorrow we could just play EX3 and such!!!:D

#23 User is offline   ShinjiGohan 

• Pip

Posted 11 February 2006 - 02:31 AM

Sadly, as I stated at SRK, I've got work tomorrow and won't be able to get that off... damn should have told my friend about the warm up tournament... I'll text him. But if you're in town for a couple days, I'll be off of work on monday :- unless you wanted to do something late at night tonight like 2-3am (technically sunday morning).

#24 User is offline   june.h 

• Guest Relations Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 387

Posted 11 February 2006 - 04:04 AM

Ichigo said:

Is there anyway to get a "Pump it up" Machine? the korean game doesn't get enough love.  

Its a 5 step korean version of DDR and imho alot of fun to do as well involving more dance moves then stomping.

i can understand if you cant get it as it is a bit hard to find, but it is worth a try :)

For those intersted, Navy pier has one, all dave and busters have them, and a few scattered arcades have them as well. its a blast :)

We've discussed this in another topic, unless you could find someone that would lend out their machine, it's not possible.

Shame too, because now that Pump It Up: Zero just came out, it's INCREDIBLY fun (and background movies are even more awesome), plus it's now a ton more beginner-friendly.

#25 User is offline   Syxx 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 1690

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:24 AM

BakaOrochi said:

plus it's now a ton more beginner-friendly.

Good cuz I fail like half the times I play that game. :P :P

#26 User is offline   Caine 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 6320

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:40 PM

BakaOrochi said:

We've discussed this in another topic, unless you could find someone that would lend out their machine, it's not possible.

Shame too, because now that Pump It Up: Zero just came out, it's INCREDIBLY fun (and background movies are even more awesome), plus it's now a ton more beginner-friendly.

There's an arcade on Belmont Street called Dennis' just for games or something along those lines that might lend out their pump it up machine

#27 User is offline   june.h 

• Guest Relations Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:13 AM

Again, I repeat. There's no arcade with a decent Pump Zero machine that would lend out their machine.

Dennis' machine is halfway decent (besides the crappy monitor and mediocre pads), but the owner is NOT going to cooperate.

Trust me, I'm probably the biggest Pump It Up fanboy on this forum, and having a Pump It Up Zero would be freaking HOT, but there's only one place I can imagine asking, and since they're corporate owned (not Dave & Buster's), they probably won't let their machine go out.

#28 User is offline   Caine 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 6320

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:36 PM

you could also try valcano falls in rockfor, they have a pretty good machine there

#29 User is offline   zaps00 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 1094

Posted 23 February 2006 - 12:16 AM

Guys, here is my official stance on Pump.

We already have TWO dancing arcade games coming, DDR and ITG. Both being supplied by Nickel City.

If you can find someone who will transport their machine to ACEN on Thursday, ensure the machine is 100% functional throughout the weekend, be able to pick it up Sunday evening, and have all this be free of charge, then I am willing to have a Pump machine.

#30 User is offline   june.h 

• Guest Relations Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:35 AM

Caine said:

you could also try valcano falls in rockfor, they have a pretty good machine there

If it's not AT LEAST an Exceed 2, it's worthless.

Exceed is so buggy, it's not worth it.

All other versions, while have great songs, are not beginner friendly. It wouldn't be ideal for ACen.

And Rockford is pretty dang far from Rosemont.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users