• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Official Arcade Announcement!

#31 User is offline   Rob 

• Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 2107

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:05 PM

I've gotta throw my two cents in with Davi. I've never been to a tournament with cabinets. Nor can I say I've ever heard of cabs being used for anything but leisure. I've always considered Evo a big tournament. (One of the biggest I know of if you don't count SBO) and they use consoles. As far as I know SBO uses consoles as well. I don't know that for sure though.

On another note, I've never met a stick user who didn't own a stick of their own. As far as dragging one in goes, I can't imagine anyone being opposed to that, considering it's their preference. While it may have been put a little crudely, I have to agree with Badguy on this. What's the sense in using cabinets?

Like I said, my two cents.

PS Davi: I remember that JPopHouse incident! I thought there was going to be a riot! XD

#32 User is offline   XCTU 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 773

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:18 PM

DaviKaze said:

XCTU - I'm not real sure what kind of serious gamers you're refering to, but they certainly used consoles at Evo.  I've traveled all over and entered tournaments and MvC2 is run on the DC.  I don't know why you even brought 3S up, since it's not on the list of cabs and I don't know why you brought up T5 either, since you made no statements about the actual change in gameplay..

Were you at Evo? I was, and on the DC, because of the sticks, the games were freezing and pausing constantly. Needless to say, it was a total mess.

Badguy- You win. :D

I'm not saying that OMG GO ARCADES THAT DO PAY FOR PLAY AT CONS because i'd rather see free, too, but if they're not doing free, then i guess they have a reason.

And maybe the cost they make is going to help pay for more costs for guests next year or something, who knows. *shrug*

And what i meant was: An arcade room + console room >>>>> just a console room. In 2003, there was only one game room, and it was hectic, crazy, and quite the annoying. In 2004 there was a bit more space which was nice to accomidate for the extra people.

Either way, i never said I'M gonna be playing in the arcade room, i'm just saying that those are reasons why i thought they might do that.

jeez, sorry for posting, i'll try not to post next time if you're just gonna just jump all over my butt like that. :rolleyes:
<3 Nana Mizuki

#33 User is offline   DaviKaze 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 2180

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:47 PM

They still could do an arcade room and a console room. Go ahead and put all the dance/rhythm machines and racers in one room (and the puzzle fighter machine?) and then have the console room for fighters.

And what about all the players that are alienated by the fact that they don't play on sticks? Playing on arcade machines forces it upon them. If a player plays with sticks, surely they own one, but last time I checked you can't plug a Sega Saturn PS2 import pad into an arcade cab.

Besides the nonsense buisness of paying to play you're alienating all the pad-players who want to enter tournaments and you're depriving them opportunities to play stick players by segregating them to another room. How do you defend against that?

So everyone who wants to enter a tournament and only plays on a pad - every last one of those gamers, casual or serious, their badge doesn't grant them the same right as the stick players? This idea is sounding better and better, eh?
My bologna has a first name. It's L-O-C-K DOWN.
My blologna has a second name. It's R-U-S-H DOWN.
I love to do it constantly and if you ask me why, let's see...
'Cause DaviKaze has a way with O-K-I-Z-E-M-E

#34 User is offline   XCTU 

• Pip

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:52 PM

ok. As i said, i'm not arguing with you so stop getting pissed off at me please, thx.
<3 Nana Mizuki

#35 User is offline   zaps00 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 1094

Posted 29 April 2005 - 01:24 AM

How about people not complain???

I busted my butt and pulled a lot of strings to make the arcades even happen this year. I will go more into detail on this when I am more awake, but please can't you be a bit gracious?

#36 User is offline   Guardian 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 347

Posted 29 April 2005 - 02:11 AM

Alright, I'm throwing in, 'cause that was unneeded.

Tekken 5. You can use your own controller in the arcade. So back off. I'd rather pay to play in the arcade anyway for this game, it just feels more natural. Tekken 5 is the only "serious" 3-D fighter where a pad is usable anyway, and, look at that! There's a PS2 port on the cabinet! And I've been looking forward to dragging my card out.

MvC2. XCTU hit the nail on the head with this one. Any high-tier player will notice the difference between AC and PS2. And DC sticks are hard to come by and have a great problem of, ya know, KILLING the DC.

GGXX#R. Use the arcade stick anyway, pads aren't too great for GG. Wanna RC or FRC? Good luck. And I was more than happy to pay 50 cents to play GGXX in the arcade last year. It made me realize how much better it is to play with a stick than with a pad for that game when it comes to cancels, recovering, etc....now I play GGXX exclusively on a stick, and I'm a much better player because of it. Plus, even if I didn't play on a stick, it'd be a new experience to play in the arcade like that...which is always great.

Those are the only three fighters in the arcade. 3S, CvS2, etc., are all on console. And, as far as the room itself, it's one gigantic ballroom, last I heard. Kinda like 2003, but a bit more room. So everyone will be in the same room.

Personally, I love arcade games. I don't have an arcade in town outside of one at a hotel, with the only decent game there being Pump It Up. Being able to go to a convention and do something I normally don't get to do, which is play on arcade cabinets, is a huge plus. Take THAT away, and YOU alienate people. And I'm all about the arcade rhythm games. I can play DDR on a home pad anytime I want. I can't do the same for an arcade machine. And games like DanceManiaX aren't on home versions. I still make road trips every now and again to Iowa City to play Tekken 5 and Soul Calibur II on the arcade machines (along with DDR), even though I own all three of those games at home.

'sides, the tourneys are more or less for fun anyway. 1st place gets a trophy, 2nd and down don't get anything. Having one machine for single-elimination won't take more than a couple hours. I'd rather have tourneys on consoles myself, aside from T5, but I can deal with it. Plus, it's a good experience. When I went to Chicago for the T5 tourney and played CvS2 in the arcade there (was it at Tilt?), the sticks weren't good at all, and the employees there didn't maintain any of the machines. But it was still pretty fun.

All in all...I don't mind throwing a 20 in the changer to play for the weekend. I threw a 10 in the changer last time, and I had a good amount left over when I went home. Arcades aren't as huge as they once were, especially now that console games are becoming so good...so being able to play is worth the extra little bit of money.

As far as how much of a prick you just were to Zaps (guy in charge)...well, that was just uncalled for. Getting arcade versions of all those rhythm games is, without a doubt, AMAZING. He also runs a mean DDR tourney or two. If he were to just have it be console and nothing else, you'd hear everyone complain about there not being any arcade DDR, and how Zaps is such a moron for not having arcade machines. And I'm sure Floe would probably not like playing MvC2 on a PS2 as opposed to an arcade.

There. I coulda worded this a lot worse, but I'll save that for next post if needed. ;P

*clicks preview* Ah, there's Zaps now. ^^'

#37 User is offline   NappyJin 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 3257

Posted 29 April 2005 - 08:34 AM

Guardian-quote someone from SRK "people build their sticks out of wet shoeboxes and Spree."

There ARE some really good DC sticks, like the Agetec stick I have :D I'm sure a few people have some MAS sticks they'd bring along, too.

Also, I agree with XCTU and Guardian. Stay off of zaps, cuz he worked VERY hard to get these games on cabinet here.

How many of you who were complaining can say you've played a Guilty Gear XX #Reload cabinet? Exactly.

If you don't like it, don't play. But don't complain. There's other things to do at the con than play video games.

:heart:

#38 Guest_Raging Tofu_*

• Group: Guests*
  • Member No.:

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:33 AM

I have to agree with Badguy, Davi and the others on using GG#R console vs. cabinet. #R cabs are hard to come by, and while it's great to have some, it's not really fair to all players.

I know it's been said before, but those who regulary use sticks will dominate, and in the emphasis on fair play, it won't be for those of us who have never used sticks before. Besides, there are sticks for consoles, which arguably makes them the most versatile. (and just because you find sticks easier to use, doen't mean everyone will)

At past tourneys I've been to, it was never a problem to get consoles/games/controllers/adapters because everyone pratically brought their own and were willing to share. Seriously, it's much better to have people bring their own. The more consoles you have, the faster you'll cycle through everything. Regardless, people are going to bring them anyway.

Many of us have not played on the arcades b/c they are so rare and therefore prefer the console. So, just as you say a stick is easy to pick up, so are pads. And if you're still going to whine about it then bring your own stick. Again, it will adapt to the console. It won't the other way around. (And if you're still going to whine, then you can shut up and go away.)

Massive lines clog rooms, and if it's going to take take a 'couple of extra hours' to complete a tourney, --I'm sorry, but that's just crap. There are other events at the con and I personally don't want to miss them because I'm stuck in a super-long line. Everything will go twice as fast if you just use the console version.

and with the whole pay to play debate, you pay to get in, so it should be covered. Asking for another arm and leg is ridiculous as it will only discourage others.

#39 User is offline   zaps00 

• Pip

Posted 29 April 2005 - 11:50 AM

Alright, time to set the record straight here...

This portion is to Badguy and the others who have problems with paying for the games:

To quote you, "Let us pretend there is no rental fee" because there IS NONE! Nickel City and Smuggler's Cove are bringing their games to the convention with NO RENTAL CHARGE!

These people, however run businesses. They make money off these games normally, so if we didn't charge I would be asking them to take a hit in their revenue. That is not cool and not fair to them. I know I there is no way I would allow this to happen to people doing a FAVOR for you, it is just bad for business.

As for the whole "I have a badge so I should be playing the games for free" argument. You do understand that if we were to have the games on free play and straight out rent them, the cost of EVERYONE's badge would go up. And I am not talking $0.50 I am talking quite a hike. Renting games is a very expensive venture, and if you don't believe me, go check it out. For four days of game rentals, and with the caliber and number of games we are getting, it would cost the convention over $100,000. So it basically goes like this, raise everyone's badge $10 or let those who want to play the arcades pay, and let the others who don't play the consoles.

To sum that up, if you don't like it, don't play the arcades!

Addressing other issues:

Game Maintenance -

Nickel City will have an attendant there at all times during the day. Also I will be there as well and I am a pretty competent tech seeing as though I maintained 40+ games at my arcade that I ran for two years. As for last year complaints, sorry, you must have missed me tearing open my hands and swapping joysticks around....

Tournaments -

If you don't like that a tournament is on an arcade, don't play. It's a free tournament, your not losing money playing it, so you have no right to complain.

So honestly, show a little respect before you go flying off the hinges about something. Some of you are acting like bringing arcades in are a huge travesty "cause other cons don't charge for their console room". Well ACEN's game room is unique because we offer both consoles AND a REAL arcade experience. And I'll reiterate myself again, if you don't like paying for arcades, no one is forcing you to play them.

#40 User is offline   XCTU 

• Pip

Posted 29 April 2005 - 05:41 PM

Badguy- You should talk to the person in Charge of Acen and let them know what you think.
<3 Nana Mizuki

#41 User is offline   zaps00 

• Pip

Posted 29 April 2005 - 05:50 PM

BTW, if anyone has any further problems with the arcades, you can PM me. I will address it with you from there, but any more public posts regarding the situation will be deleted.

And also, I don't ever really recall mentioning that the fighting game tournaments would be held on the arcades... way to jump to conclusions!

#42 User is offline   ShinjiGohan 

• Pip
  • Group: Validating
  • Member No.: 778

Posted 01 May 2005 - 02:57 AM

-noticed Zapps last post and thus this original post no longer belongs here, please delete since evidently I can't delete my own post, though I do understand and agree with both paying for arcades and probable use of sticks-

To Guardian, heh I doubt Floe would even be at Acen this year. Since he's still in japan for SBO. Though SBO should end a week before Acen so it is possible... but whichever the case, if he shows he'll basicly win almost all of the tournaments himself for free. If not then someone else will.

Rob and XTUC, Evo used to be all arcades (MWC still is, and ECC I believe is part, and I have no clue for TS). But due to costs and being unable to locate the nessessary cabs needed for MvC2 and 3s, they had to goto console. Which resulted in several good players from more or less boycotting the event of Evo (Pyrolee for 3s and SooMighty for MvC2 for example). They were going to move MvC2 to the XBox for this years but since so many players complained they're moving back to the DC where they'll get tons of Blue Screens once again like last year. And I'm guess 3s is either PS2 or Supergun, not exactly sure. But just had to add in those 2 cents.

#43 User is offline   Guardian 

• Pip

Posted 01 May 2005 - 12:39 PM

ShinjiGohan said:

To Guardian, heh I doubt Floe would even be at Acen this year.  Since he's still in japan for SBO.  Though SBO should end a week before Acen so it is possible... but whichever the case, if he shows he'll basicly win almost all of the tournaments himself for free.  If not then someone else will.

Even GGXX#R, 3S, and T5? I know he's good at T5 (saw him knock Solus down to the losers bracket at the Chi-town regionals), but owning it for free would be a bit of a stretch. ElvenShadow's my guess for GG, and as for 3S...does Floe play? And I welcome the competition. It'd be a boring convention if my low-tier arse was to win. ;P

I would crap myself if the aforementioned Virtual On machine (in this thread or another) ended up there somehow. VO was the reason I got a Saturn back in the day. Playing it in the arcade would require me to wear a bib.

#44 User is offline   ShinjiGohan 

• Pip

Posted 01 May 2005 - 01:29 PM

I know he plays GGXX#R, talk was last MWC, had he have gotten there ontime and entered he probably would have won. Add in all of the playing he's doing in japan now should clinch it. Same with the other two. Do you know of someone off hand that would come to Acen and actually challenge him in those games?

#45 User is offline   Guardian 

• Pip

Posted 01 May 2005 - 07:06 PM

ShinjiGohan said:

I know he plays GGXX#R, talk was last MWC, had he have gotten there ontime and entered he probably would have won.  Add in all of the playing he's doing in japan now should clinch it.  Same with the other two.  Do you know of someone off hand that would come to Acen and actually challenge him in those games?

T5 / SCII -- XCTU
GGXX#R -- Like I said, ElvenShadow, who won last year if I'm not mistaken.
3S -- I have no idea. I don't know how good most are at that game outside of the names I've seen for Evo, and they're mostly, uh, Japanese. ;P

#46 User is offline   XCTU 

• Pip

Posted 01 May 2005 - 09:16 PM

oh god, i wouldnt be a challenge to floe in T5. Bryan owns Asuka for free.

GGXX#R, floe has been beating bozac lately in tourneys iirc. they're both really good and close in skill, tho.

Floe is also good at 3S. He won 3S at Acen last year, and usually wins the weeklies here.

SC2, Naruto, and DOA are probably the only games i can beat fLoE in.
<3 Nana Mizuki

#47 User is offline   Guardian 

• Pip

Posted 01 May 2005 - 11:52 PM

XCTU said:

oh god, i wouldnt be a challenge to floe in T5. Bryan owns Asuka for free.

Aw, c'mon...I think Bryan is the best one of the top 4 (Bryan, Steve, Nina, Feng) that Asuka has even a chance against. That's my own thoughts, though. I have less problems with Bryan than with the other three as Asuka. And if Hatman can deal with the top-tier characters, I don't see any reason why you couldn't give 'em a run for their money.

For 3S...I hope to play against him or someone close in calibur. I probably won't be able to hold a candle to him, but if I'm gonna go to Evo this year, I'd like to go knowing what myself and the rest of Dubuque is in store for. Who does he play as, if that's okay knowledge to know?

#48 User is offline   dm_iceus 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 189

Posted 02 May 2005 - 12:47 AM

GGXX #R - Juicy G (because his execution is spot on) or Elven Shadow (Because his mom is a ****)

-Doug
DreamDateDoug.
Acen 2k2 - Fanboyed it up FTW!
Acen 2k3 - Masters-bator FTW!
Acen 2k4 - Bridget FTW!
Acen 2k5 - Alcohol induced Vomiting FTW!
Acen 2k6 - ????? FTW!

#49 User is offline   XCTU 

• Pip

Posted 02 May 2005 - 01:00 AM

Guardian- Thats why i suck at T5. ;)
<3 Nana Mizuki

#50 User is offline   ShinjiGohan 

• Pip

Posted 02 May 2005 - 02:41 AM

guess a couple SRK peeps will be there too ^.^

#51 User is offline   NappyJin 

• Pip

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:38 AM

#R-Top three would EASILY be Juicy G, Floe, and ElvenShadow.

The Ohio tourney was pretty fun, met alot of cool people. It's almost time...Be ready!

#52 User is offline   DaviKaze 

• Pip

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:18 AM

Bozac's mom: nice lady or ****?

The finals will be fun to watch, that's for sure.

#53 User is offline   NappyJin 

• Pip

Posted 02 May 2005 - 04:54 PM

LOL...

That tourney was too funny. I take it you were there?

#54 User is offline   dm_iceus 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 189

Posted 02 May 2005 - 05:13 PM

DaviKaze said:

Bozac's mom: nice lady or ****?

The finals will be fun to watch, that's for sure.

Tomorrow's lesson: Is Clayton Gay?
DreamDateDoug.
Acen 2k2 - Fanboyed it up FTW!
Acen 2k3 - Masters-bator FTW!
Acen 2k4 - Bridget FTW!
Acen 2k5 - Alcohol induced Vomiting FTW!
Acen 2k6 - ????? FTW!

#55 Guest_OrcishMessiah_*

• Group: Guests*
  • Member No.:

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:24 PM

Thank the Powers That Be! Dance Maniax is finally at Acen! Woohoo!

#56 User is offline   DaviKaze 

• Pip

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:33 PM

NappyJin said:

LOL...

That tourney was too funny. I take it you were there?

Yeah, but we ended up getting there late X_x. We live 4 1/2 hours away from Columbus and we hit some mean traffic before we got out of Michigan. Jin was nice enough to let us give aka, bozac, and Clayton our money though. How thoughtful XD

And I got to see Y2khai. It was a wonderful experience.

You should PM me and we should find a good time to meet up and get some friendlies in at the con.

Clayton: Gay or Straight? (IN BETWEEN)

#57 User is offline   june.h 

• Merchandise Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 387

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:10 AM

One more argument regarding the "charging for games at cons" thing.

People, any con with a lot of RESPECTABLE arcades in there DO charge for games. I've seen cons that charge $1 per game, fighting games and standard upright cabs are like 50-75 cents. This isn't anything new.

As for the sticks, they're "Perfect 360" sticks. You can't get any better than that.

#58 User is offline   ShinjiGohan 

• Pip

Posted 03 May 2005 - 05:16 AM

well maybe some 4 way or 8 way gates made from japanese parts ^.^ But yea, NC cabs should be fine.

#59 User is offline   GameOn 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 4112

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:36 AM

BakaOrochi said:

One more argument regarding the "charging for games at cons" thing. People, any con with a lot of RESPECTABLE arcades in there DO charge for games.

Must be an american thing then as I've helped with obtaining arcades for two UK cons, that had attendences of around 1000 people overall and did we charge for the arcades? Er no... Where the arcades decent? Yes (for late 90s, early 2000s).

Then again the americans are stupid enough to buy pay as you go phones that charge a daily rate, charge for recieving calls and charge quite a bit for making calls. Compare this to say Europe or Japan, where you buy the phone (not much difference in price to the US) and then once you put credit on the phone (about the same cost as a month of access in the US) you then have 6 months of access where you can just recieve calls for nothing.... ^_^;

As for the sticks, they're "Perfect 360" sticks.  You can't get any better than that.

The Happ Joysticks are okay but they are not the same as Sanwa or Suzo joysticks... ^_^;
A couple of cookies and $200 to anyone that cosplays Arle Nadja in a reasonable way. ^_^;

#60 User is offline   NappyJin 

• Pip

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:36 AM

DaviKaze said:

Yeah, but we ended up getting there late X_x.  We live 4 1/2 hours away from Columbus and we hit some mean traffic before we got out of Michigan.  Jin was nice enough to let us give aka, bozac, and Clayton our money though.  How thoughtful XD

And I got to see Y2khai.  It was a wonderful experience.

You should PM me and we should find a good time to meet up and get some friendlies in at the con.

Clayton: Gay or Straight?  (IN BETWEEN)

(IN BETWEEN)LOL, I forgot about that...That was funnier than the whole "Is Clayton Gay" thing.

OSU had this Hunger Fest thing going on, so me and a friend go to check it out, and there's NO FOOD! Turns out we missed the pie-eating contest by like, an hour.

On the way there, we were pulling into the parking garage, and there was this girl with horrible legs...So I scream out the window "GET SOME NAIR!!!!"

She turns around, and gives us all this look, like, "?!" And we park. Two minutes later, her and her boyfriend (I assume) got into the car that was parked next to us.

Fun times. Very fun times, indeed.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users